How do you hear from God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I was talking to my son once, and he said he never heard from God.
So I asked him if he had a bible. He said yes. So I said that is a message from God.

If God spoke it to you now, would that change its meaning or your reaction to what He had to say? And the answer is no. If we cannot accept the words we read, we will not accept them when spoken or shared by another.

This is what Jesus found from the pharisees. They did not love God, so no matter what Jesus said they were not going to respond.

When Gods word is rooted in our hearts, and we know His will, He will start to direct and encourage specific things. And it is this then we realise God is very close to us, but He cannot create a situation where we rebel, or else judgement has to follow.

So how we listen, how we follow, how we ask, how we obey really matters. Can God trust and know you and will you walk in His ways?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
but He cannot create a situation where we rebel, or else judgement has to follow.QUOTE]

Actually, he can, and did several times. Yes, judgment followed. There were consequences. There was Jonah, Paul, Peter, David... All strong men of Faith, but they had their rebellions, and thus, there were consequences.

But I do emphatically support what your main point is. God has spoken to us through the Bible. He also does so through chosen, real men of God who preach his word straight up. But they will rely on the written Word.

Reactions: 101G and FollowHim

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hey this should be in the spirituality forum not debate Hehe. :D

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So I asked him if he had a bible. He said yes. So I said that is a message from God.

If God spoke it to you now, would that change its meaning or your reaction to what He had to say? And the answer is no. If we cannot accept the words we read, we will not accept them when spoken or shared by another.

This is what Jesus found from the pharisees. They did not love God, so no matter what Jesus said they were not going to respond.

When Gods word is rooted in our hearts, and we know His will, He will start to direct and encourage specific things. And it is this then we realise God is very close to us, but He cannot create a situation where we rebel, or else judgement has to follow.

So how we listen, how we follow, how we ask, how we obey really matters. Can God trust and know you and will you walk in His ways?

This is problematic as too many church leaders do not want us to hear from God. They want us to hear from them and in a sense are no different to a catholic priest. The pastor and the priest are the go-betweens so we do not have to hear from God.

Where I live now, it has been made very clear that the leadership of churches does not want you to hear from God. The last one I went to you had to go through five different people before you were allowed an audience with the top dog. As the five people I had to go through were all younger than my children, it did not excite me one little bit.

Unless you attend a church that is led by the Spirit it is hard to hear from God because it is not encouraged. The pastor is paid to know what God wants so there is no need for you to get involved.

One good thing is that it leaves me free to hear from God in the everyday things of life. I don't always know what is the right response in some situations, so I let sleeping dogs lie and wait for guidance. In due time it comes and it gives me the confidence to do what God is saying to do. This happens in small things as I need something and I am not sure which one to buy so I ask the Lord and he comes up with the answer.

A classic case was the last car I bought which was 20 years ago. I had a particular car in mind and went for a test drive in one that was advertised. I did not feel at all sure that was the right one but the car salesman said to me "How about this one" and he pointed to a car next to the one I had taken for a test drive.

It wasn't on my shopping list but I thought I would give it a go. After driving it a couple of miles I knew without a shadow of a doubt that was the one. 20 years later I still have it. The Lord got me to the right dealer not to buy the car that I was interested in but to find the right car that he had for me.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This is problematic as too many church leaders do not want us to hear from God. They want us to hear from them and in a sense are no different to a catholic priest. The pastor and the priest are the go-betweens so we do not have to hear from God.

Where I live now, it has been made very clear that the leadership of churches does not want you to hear from God. The last one I went to you had to go through five different people before you were allowed an audience with the top dog. As the five people I had to go through were all younger than my children, it did not excite me one little bit.

Unless you attend a church that is led by the Spirit it is hard to hear from God because it is not encouraged. The pastor is paid to know what God wants so there is no need for you to get involved.

One good thing is that it leaves me free to hear from God in the everyday things of life. I don't always know what is the right response in some situations, so I let sleeping dogs lie and wait for guidance. In due time it comes and it gives me the confidence to do what God is saying to do. This happens in small things as I need something and I am not sure which one to buy so I ask the Lord and he comes up with the answer.

A classic case was the last car I bought which was 20 years ago. I had a particular car in mind and went for a test drive in one that was advertised. I did not feel at all sure that was the right one but the car salesman said to me "How about this one" and he pointed to a car next to the one I had taken for a test drive.

It wasn't on my shopping list but I thought I would give it a go. After driving it a couple of miles I knew without a shadow of a doubt that was the one. 20 years later I still have it. The Lord got me to the right dealer to find the right car that he had for me.

Pretty amazing how God leads us to buy certain cars, hehe, as I said in the other thread, God led me through His peace, a peace like no other, the peace even filled my legs, and I just knew this was the car to buy, or this was the property to buy.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Pretty amazing how God leads us to buy certain cars, hehe, as I said in the other thread, God led me through His peace, a peace like no other, the peace even filled my legs, and I just knew this was the car to buy, or this was the property to buy.

I have family members who are in real estate and they say that most people know which house to buy as soon as they step inside one. They may have looked at several in their search and rejected them all until they step inside one and they feel that this one is just what they are looking for.

As this happens whether you are a Christian or not, it seems to be an inbuilt function that allows us to determine what is the right one. Is that just us or does that come from God?

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I have family members who are in real estate and they say that most people know which house to buy as soon as they step inside one. They may have looked at several in their search and rejected them all until they step inside one and they feel that this one is just what they are looking for.

As this happens whether you are a Christian or not, it seems to be an inbuilt function that allows us to determine what is the right one. Is that just us or does that come from God?

I do not wish to turn this into a doubt thread and do not wish to limit God he he he.

There is an earthly peace and then there is the peace of God. The peace of God is far greater. I just know when I feel the peace of God, it floods me like no other. The peace of God also led me to rent a workshop in a certain place and start a business.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
So I asked him if he had a bible. ...
Indeed; 'Thy word is truth' (John 17.17); 'Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path' (Psalm 119.105).

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
There is an earthly peace and then there is the peace of God. The peace of God is far greater. I just know when I feel the peace of God, it floods me like no other. The peace of God also led me to rent a workshop in a certain place and start a business.

@Josho

The God of Peace: FYI:

"Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,

Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen." (Hebrews 13.20-21)

The Peace of God:

"Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4.6-7)

:)

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

My suggestion it is related to how we make decisions. All our decisions are based on a process of steps which leads us to a conclusion. The conclusion is felt. Time and experience build and refine the process.

It is part of becoming mature, and has as much authority as it's inputs. If we include the Lord and prayer he will guide. God bless you

As a believer we should always commit our ways to the Lord

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

I have a little wind chime in my back garden. It is only small and makes a very pretty sound when the wind blows on it. The first day I put it up my husband said he couldn't hear it, but there was quite a lot of background noise; a road sweeper in the back street and a neighbour operating some sort of machine. Through all that noise, unheard, the little chimes were ringing but we could only hear them when we were standing very close to them.

It was a life lesson and I realised that hearing God's voice is a bit like that. Sometimes there is so much going on in our lives that we can't hear him at all. And in order to do so we must move in closer. At other times it can be so quiet and peaceful that we hear the sound of the wind chimes, and the Holy Spirit, with no difficulty.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This word came to me a few years ago after I had been thinking about talking to God and why I didn't hear more from him.

“I don't talk like people talk, I listen and give answers and directions. If you ask a question I will answer it, if you need guidance I will give it. But I hear your every word beloved. I hear every whispered prayer, every beat of your heart. I love you.”

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
QUOTE=]

So how we listen, how we follow, how we ask, how we obey really matters. Can God trust and know you and will you walk in His ways?[/QUOTE

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

It definitely gives you a leg up when you have his peace.

Reactions: Josho

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A quick story that is very encouraging. There is a church on the outskirts of Melbourne which I think is aligned with Bill Johnson, where they put evangelism and discernment together and go out to the shopping malls to evangelise.

They are taught and practice discernment and when they go out to the malls, they will ask the Lord who to approach and what to talk to them about. For example, they might go up to someone and say, "We are from so and so church. God has told us your husband is not well, can we pray for him."
Who wouldn't say yes (except an atheist)? They pray vicariously for the husband and he gets well.

Reactions: Josho