How do you respond to "Christians are hypocrites"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When sharing the faith every so often as we are called to do it can't be uncommon to encounter the phrase "I'm not a Christian because all Christians are hypocrites" or something similar.

How do you refocus the conversation away from negativity and back on promoting the gospel in a positive way?

For myself, I have to nod and agree and respect that they feel this way before going on about my own experience with the gospel and how it's completely changed my life, hoping that they will respect in kind.

How do you demonstrate to acquaintances that Christians aren't all hypocrites?

Reactions: Nancy

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When sharing the faith every so often as we are called to do it can't be uncommon to encounter the phrase "I'm not a Christian because all Christians are hypocrites" or something similar.

How do you refocus the conversation away from negativity and back on promoting the gospel in a positive way?

For myself, I have to nod and agree and respect that they feel this way before going on about my own experience with the gospel and how it's completely changed my life, hoping that they will respect in kind.

I don't think being defensive does anything to solve a person's opinion. One could ask, why they feel that this is so. Depending on the circles they frequent...it could be true..

I would not get personal about it. The mistake can stop right there without adding to it.

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm trying to find ways to not be defensive, but to redirect the conversation to make it constructive and to make a compelling case for Christ.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm trying to find ways to not be defensive, but to redirect the conversation to make it constructive and to make a compelling case for Christ.

That's what I wouldn't do. Does God need to be defended? Just pray that the person would be convicted by the Spirit.

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Knowing something does not necessarily equate to speaking about it. For example, I can recognise incompetence or hypocrisy but I don't need to make it the centre point of my conversation, in fact I don't even need to agree with this verdict of others. I can remain silent and let the silence take the power out of the accusing spirit.

Does this mean I don't address inconsistencies? by no means. Does this sound like a contradiction? It is not.

I have found that the negative prattling on all the while in the not so subtle process of self glorification is not driven by the Spirit of God.

Reactions: bbyrd009

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People who profess Christ are not our example that we are to follow...Jesus is.

On the other hand, we need to live lives before our friends and acquaintances that shows them that not every Christian is a hypocrite...the best way to deal with this objection is to seek to live a godly life yourself, so that at the very least they cannot say that you, being a Christian, are a hypocrite...that they would have to admit at the very least that they see an example of godliness in your life.

If they see that people who profess Christ do not live the way that they are supposed to live, at least they are admitting that there is a way that we are supposed to live...I would suggest to them that the element of sin is inherent in all of us and that none of us measures up to the perfect standard 100% of the time...but that they themselves can make a difference by accepting Christ and then setting the example that they believe Christians are supposed to set by our behaviour...that they can turn the tide by being the Christian that they feel everyone who professes Christ is supposed to be...by becoming a Christian who is not a hypocrite.

After all, we can make the difference in our own lives as to how we live as believers in the Lord...all we have to do is hunker down and live the way we are supposed to, and then millions will come into the fold because they no longer have this as an excuse.

I would just say that carnal Christianity is something that is common for new believers, but that ideally we will grow out of that carnality as we mature in the Lord because of understanding the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and Acolyte

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It is God Himself who is the convincer, not me.

I agree, but I would still like to speak about Christ to others, especially others who may not know about him, and demolish arguments and imaginations that set themselves up against knowledge of God. God uses Christians to witness to the lost. One way that God communicates to lost sheep. So being capable of having an actual discussion is important. If Christians never bring up the message of the gospel, then how are the unconverted supposed to learn and take interest?

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I don't nod and agree with anything they say. If they want to call me a hypocrite I ask them how am I a hypocrite? If they point out that I am a sinner, I tell them I never said any different. If they say I as a Christian still sin, I tell them I never said otherwise. I am only a hypocrite if I make myself out to be something I am not.

Don't buckle under their use of 'hypocrite'. More than likely they just don't want nothing to do with Jesus Christ and they feel calling Christians hypocrites salves their guilt.

Stranger

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On the other hand, we need to live lives before our friends and acquaintances that shows them that not every Christian is a hypocrite...the best way to deal with this objection is to seek to live a godly life yourself, so that at the very least they cannot say that you, being a Christian, are a hypocrite...that they would have to admit at the very least that they see an example of godliness in your life.

@friend of: As difficult as it may sound, this is the Biblical answer. Regardless of what others do, the Lord calls those who are His to make others ashamed of accusing us of evil when they see what kind of lives we truly lead:

For so is the will of God, that by well-doing ye should put to silence the ignorance of foolish men... But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear; having a good conscience, that when they defame you as evildoers, they may be ashamed who revile your good conduct in Christ. (1 Peter 2:15, 1 Peter 3:15-16)

I don't think it's something you should try to redirect away from. It is at the heart of the spiritual war, and your righteous conduct reveals the reality of Christ in you.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

As for how it's demonstrated, it's the difficult circumstances of life that reveal your faith is no "act" (the Greek word hypocrite meant an "actor"); peace in the midst of fearful circumstances, kindness in the face of insults or abuse... that sort of thing. If they are around you long enough, events will happen where the Spirit of God comes to the forefront, and manifests within you in ways that reveals how you are governed by a different Spirit.

Reactions: Acolyte

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"I'm sorry you feel that way and have had bad experiences. For me, I strive to follow God, and aim high in that regard. I do frequently fall short, and I'm not going to deny that. In fact, the chance to be forgiven and try again is the central core of Christ's message. I keep aiming high, not denying all the time's I've fallen down".

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

But we are. In one way or another, despite our best efforts, I am sure we are all probably to be found hypocrites.
I mean...even Peter was a hypocrite...telling people God loved the Gentiles equally, but then going and eating with the Jews separately . Paul had to call him out on it.
So...I would say...Christians are just normal, sinful people. The only difference between us and any other hypocrite, is that we recognise our sins, and know that we need help with them.
I don't think this should be a us/them sort of a wall, topic. It should be, really, one that actually tears down that wall and provides amazing hope! There is this, apparent and erroneous, misconception that Christians think they're better than other people. That we don't think we're hypocrites or sinners. But...to become a Christian, we have to put our hands up and say, "God, we are so broken and sinful that we cannot do life without you". In fact, if we're not nominal Christians, we're doing this every day.
So, in point of fact, what we're trying to say to other people is this: It's ok to not be ok. It's okay to make mistakes, to struggle with brokenness, anger, bitterness and even being a hypocrite! It's okay, because there's a God who loves us so much, he's not demanding we be perfect before we come to him, he comes to us and loves us where we are. He accepts us in the mud...died for us in the mud, so we don't have to stay there. It can be a long process getting out of the mud, but we don't do it alone, because the God who loved us enough to come to us, will never leave us. It's pretty amazing news, especially when we know how often we mess up.

B

brakelite

Better to put up with one or two hypocrites now in church, than have to burn up with all of them in hell later.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In fact, the chance to be forgiven and try again is the central core of Christ's message.
The central core of Christ's message is not about "trying again".

It is about being cleansed and made new, being regenerated as a new creature in Christ.

Being born again is not the same thing as turning over a new leaf.

It has to do with being washed in the blood of the Lamb, and filled with the Holy Ghost so that you can live a life in which all things are made new.

2Co 5:17, Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Tit 3:3, For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another.
Tit 3:4, But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,
Tit 3:5, Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
Tit 3:6, Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;
Tit 3:7, That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

1Co 6:11, And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In fact, the chance to be forgiven and try again is the central core of Christ's message.
Clarification on this part--
Christ's atonement and the fact that we can be forgiven of our sins is indeed the central core of the Gospel message. Going along with this obviously is our repentance, and submission to Him.

I'm not a person who's going to pretend that I or any other professing Christian does not struggle with the same sins as a through-and-through atheist. These sins are still a struggle. The difference is my (and other professing Christians) trying to follow Christ-- abiding in Him, and Him doing the heavy lifting, offering that forgiveness. Without Christ, no one has that forgiveness.