How does an adult become a Catholic?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Now for a Catholic related thread of a different kind, I did ask this question on another thread, but didn't really get a proper answer for it. I am just asking out of interest.

What is the process for an adult to become a Catholic? Is it easier for those who are already Christian of another denomination to become a Catholic? Do we have any Catholic members who became a Catholic as an adult on this site? What was your experience like?

@BreadOfLife @Philip James @Illuminator @theefaith @Mungo @soul @devin553344

Reactions: dev553344 and marks

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The first step for an adult to become a Catholic is to talk to a priest face to face. That means calling the local parish to make an appointment. One may have to wait up to 2 weeks because priests are busier than most people think. The priest will ask why they want to become Catholic. Motives have to be pure. The next step is to enroll in the Rite of Catholic Initiation of Adults (RCIA) so that the candidate has full knowledge of what they are doing. It's usually one meeting a week for an hour and they are free to quit at any time. Candidates are normally brought into the Church at Easter time, but there are always exceptions.
RCIA allows people to get to know one another in a small group and permanent friendships are often made. Hundreds of conversion stories are found here:
Catholic Conversion Stories - The Coming Home Network (chnetwork.org)
In all these testimonies, none of them bash their former faith. That's because their existing beliefs, if they are Christian, are not supplanted, but embellished.

Reactions: Josho and marks

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think they would care about already being a Christian as long as the convert followed their doctrines.

Reactions: Nancy and dev553344

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Don't you expect converts to your faith to follow your doctrines?
I'm a follower of Jesus who is not allied to any traditional church. And I have to say that none of the Catholics in my family are born again or Spirit filled which is the only way to be a Christian. They get embarrassed talking about Jesus. Some Catholics I have met online meet that criteria though and some who belonged to my church fellowship left the Catholic church do do so. Mostly though I have found that Catholics prefer to follow their churches doctrines than to follow Jesus.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm a follower of Jesus who is not allied to any traditional church. And I have to say that none of the Catholics in my family are born again or Spirit filled which is the only way to be a Christian. They get embarrassed talking about Jesus. Some Catholics I have met online meet that criteria though and some who belonged to my church fellowship left the Catholic church do do so. Mostly though I have found that Catholics prefer to follow their churches doctrines than to follow Jesus.
So you have no doctrines? Where did you get the idea that Catholic doctrines are not Christ centered? From anti-Catholics or angry ex-Catholics? A doctrine is a teaching based on revealed truths from Jesus and the Apostles, they are not opinions. So lets define "doctrine" correctly.

People aren't magically transformed into good Christians just by walking into a Catholic church (even if they do it every week). Repentance and conversion of heart are the keys to the Christian life. Without them, everything else is sterile and false, whether one calls oneself "Catholic" or not.​
How Can Catholicism Be True When Catholics Are So Dead? (catholiceducation.org)

otrclassic

Jun 16, 2021
Beaumont
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now for a Catholic related thread of a different kind, I did ask this question on another thread, but didn't really get a proper answer for it. I am just asking out of interest.

What is the process for an adult to become a Catholic?

I talked to my Priest, well; he was just the Priest then.:) Then I started classes and, since I was the only one at the time, he taught me himself all about the Church and such. Since I had studied extensively about the Church, he gave me reading material and the classes were quite fast. He quizzed me on my knowledge and went from there. Then I had my first ever confession, received the precious body and blood of Christ and then confirmation.

Is it easier for those who are already Christian of another denomination to become a Catholic?

That I don't know, I was in another denomination at the time. Though I do believe that everyone goes through classes called RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults).

Do we have any Catholic members who became a Catholic as an adult on this site? What was your experience like?

I did as stated above. :) The experience was great

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So you have no doctrines? Where did you get the idea that Catholic doctrines are not Christ centered? From anti-Catholics or angry ex-Catholics? A doctrine is a teaching based on revealed truths from Jesus and the Apostles, they are not opinions. So lets define "doctrine" correctly.

People aren't magically transformed into good Christians just by walking into a Catholic church (even if they do it every week). Repentance and conversion of heart are the keys to the Christian life. Without them, everything else is sterile and false, whether one calls oneself "Catholic" or not.​
I'm not getting into a debate.

Reactions: Nancy

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What is the process for an adult to become a Catholic? Is it easier for those who are already Christian of another denomination to become a Catholic? Do we have any Catholic members who became a Catholic as an adult on this site? What was your experience like?

@BreadOfLife @Philip James @Illuminator @theefaith @Mungo @soul @devin553344
I attend Catholic Mass but have not become a member, they have to go thru a process I think. I started out Mormon and was baptized there so I don't really see a need to be baptized again and I do enjoy the Holy Spirit already. (How to Become Catholic: 13 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow) But I don't really follow any specific church anymore since I've learned a lot about God from his Holy Spirit and no church seems to believe exactly what I believe.

But I decided that if I were to believe in a church it would have to be the original church started by the Apostles. And the bible spells out what they were doing and believing in.

Reactions: Josho and Pearl

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I attend Catholic Mass but have not become a member, they have to go thru a process I think. I started out Mormon and was baptized there so I don't really see a need to be baptized again and I do enjoy the Holy Spirit already. (How to Become Catholic: 13 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow) But I don't really follow any specific church anymore since I've learned a lot about God from his Holy Spirit and no church seems to believe exactly what I believe.

But I decided that if I were to believe in a church it would have to be the original church started by the Apostles. And the bible spells out what they were doing and believing in.

Hmmmm interesting read, how long does a Liturgical cycle go for? And if you were baptised as a Christian previously before but not in the Catholic Church do you have to get baptised again?

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Good article I would say the same is true about other denominations too, there are many cultural Christians.

And I know from having a little look at the Catechism, there are unfortunately many who don't take their faith seriously.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmmm interesting read, how long does a Liturgical cycle go for? And if you were baptised as a Christian previously before but not in the Catholic Church do you have to get baptised again?
I'm not sure how long it takes. And I'm not really interested in all the Catechisms either (one of the reasons I haven't done it). But I did hear that you have to get baptized into their church. And I think most churches deny other churches authority. So they consider any other baptism to be void. Which is something I find that is untrue. But perhaps it's a good idea to have churches over baptizing rather than missing someone who wasn't baptized properly. The bible is clear that you could be baptized incorrectly and then not receive the Holy Spirit as a result:

Acts 19:1–10
The New King James Version

Paul at Ephesus

19 And it happened, while Apollos was at Corinth, that Paul, having passed through the upper regions, came to Ephesus. And finding some disciples 2 he said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?”

So they said to him, “We have not so much as heard whether there is a Holy Spirit.”

3 And he said to them, “Into what then were you baptized?”

So they said, “Into John’s baptism.”

4 Then Paul said, “John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.”

5 When they heard this, they were baptized fin the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied. 7 Now the men were about twelve in all.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hmmmm interesting read, how long does a Liturgical cycle go for?
3 years divided into 3 sub groups of 1 year. Liturgical Cycle in the Catholic Church (bcchurch.co.za) That way almost the whole Bible is heard in a 3 year cycle, covering the main points in one year.
And if you were baptised as a Christian previously before but not in the Catholic Church do you have to get baptised again?
If the previous Christian church uses the correct form, as most Protestants do, then re-baptism cannot be done. Most Protestant baptisms are considered valid by the Catholic Church.

Reactions: Josho

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I refuse that churches baptism . Though i do believe that a true lamb would be baptized in water . Just as peter
even told the house of cornelious . Even AFTER they had received the baptism of the Holy Ghost , to be water baptized .
But i refuse the RCC . DO you truly within your heart, as does thee faith , that this makes me unsaved .
Just a question . i asked to thee faith . You can ask him , i never got mad or angry when he said what he said .
SO feel free to speak . But i do shun and i mean totally shun that entity . Before you ask , i did not say every catholic will go to hell .
BUT i know the dangers of said system . And thus i will warn all that requires any form of oxygen, whether by gills or by lungs
to steer far and wide from her gaping chambers of death . For many a soul has found death in her chambers .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good article I would say the same is true about other denominations too, there are many cultural Christians.

And I know from having a little look at the Catechism, there are unfortunately many who don't take their faith seriously.
Indeed you are correct . This is not found only in the dangerous and deadly system of the RCC , its found within many a protestant .
MANY no longer walk as did Christ . Many no longer desire to do so . THEY see His sayings , or some of them as heavy burdens .
BUT that is because they love sin and the works of the flesh . ME , by grace , and i do mean BY GRACE , see every word of JESUS
as honey to the taste . We are in dire trouble this generation truly is . As for me and lambs we gonna stick
to the pure biblical untainted by false men , doctrine in the bible . Let no man twist unto destruction the scriptures and letters of the apostles .
FOR those words were truly meant for GOOD unto the soul of the hearer and the doer .

Status
Not open for further replies.