How many Christians disobey this?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tom55

Love your neighbor as yourself
Sep 9, 2013
I have read this passage before but never put much thought into it since divorce is all to common in our society.

Mark 10: 7-12 CLEARLY says one commits adultery if they re-marry. It seems there is no remedy or path to divorce if your marriage doesn't work out when Jesus says, "What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate."

Both parties can always separate and live apart but how does a Christian get re-married in a Christian Church? It happens all the time but how do church leaders allow it or justify it based on what Jesus said?

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
tom55 said:
I have read this passage before but never put much thought into it since divorce is all to common in our society.

Mark 10: 7-12 CLEARLY says one commits adultery if they re-marry. It seems there is no remedy or path to divorce if your marriage doesn't work out when Jesus says, "What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate."

Both parties can always separate and live apart but how does a Christian get re-married in a Christian Church? It happens all the time but how do church leaders allow it or justify it based on what Jesus said?
Tom,

But there are a couple of situations where divorce is legitimate and would not involve one committing adultery if divorce happened. What 2 circumstances are they?

Oz

tom55

Sep 9, 2013
OzSpen said:
Tom,

But there are a couple of situations where divorce is legitimate and would not involve one committing adultery if divorce happened. What 2 circumstances are they?

Oz
Matthew 5:32 (except on the ground of sexual immorality)

1Corinthians 7:15 (unbelieving partner)

Thank you for reminding me of those two passages. However, so often divorces occur based on irreconcilable differences or we just grew apart etc. etc.

A friend of mine divorced their spouse because they went to prison (5 years) and neither of those two circumstances that are permitted in scripture were present.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
tom55 said:
Matthew 5:32 (except on the ground of sexual immorality)

1Corinthians 7:15 (unbelieving partner)

Thank you for reminding me of those two passages. However, so often divorces occur based on irreconcilable differences or we just grew apart etc. etc.

A friend of mine divorced their spouse because they went to prison (5 years) and neither of those two circumstances that are permitted in scripture were present.
Tom,

Those are the 2 passages and we know from the Mark 10 passage that if one divorces for illegitimate reasons, it is when one remarries that the person commits adultery.

Part of the problem in my country is,
  1. The culture has dictated to the Christian church what the standard should be with no-fault divorce and the Christians have fallen prey to culture and not Scripture.
  2. There is little teaching in the Christian church about the biblical view of divorce. Today, that will need to include what to do about divorce by people in churches for unbiblical reasons.
  3. Christians with marriage licenses do not uphold biblical standards when they marry Christians. I have a marriage license and I will not remarry anyone who was divorced on unbiblical grounds as a Christian. If I did, I would be encouraging them to commit adultery (according to Scripture).
In Dr Albert Mohler Jr's latest book, We Cannot Be Silent (Nashville, Tennessee: Nelson Books 2015), he has a chapter on, 'It didn't start with same-sex marriage' (p. 17ff), in which he states that easy divorce is one of the factors in our culture that has led to a loosening of sexual preferences. He cites writer, Pat Conroy, who once stated that every divorce is 'the death of a small civilization'.

Mohler's comment is that 'the Christian church, joined by the secular state, had for centuries affirmed the larger civilization's responsibility to protect every one of those smaller civilizations' but no-fault divorce has 'led not only to the breakup of families but also to a pandemic of abandoned children. The devastating effects on children - and on boys in particular - caused by absentee fathers is now well known and well documented' (Mohler 2015:22-23).

It is with sadness that I see no-fault divorces devastating Christian families and the local church is often failing to address the issue.

Oz

iakov

Jan 17, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OzSpen said:
Tom,

Those are the 2 passages and we know from the Mark 10 passage that if one divorces for illegitimate reasons, it is when one remarries that the person commits adultery.

Part of the problem in my country is,
  1. The culture has dictated to the Christian church what the standard should be with no-fault divorce and the Christians have fallen prey to culture and not Scripture.
  2. There is little teaching in the Christian church about the biblical view of divorce. Today, that will need to include what to do about divorce by people in churches for unbiblical reasons.
  3. Christians with marriage licenses do not uphold biblical standards when they marry Christians. I have a marriage license and I will not remarry anyone who was divorced on unbiblical grounds as a Christian. If I did, I would be encouraging them to commit adultery (according to Scripture).
In Dr Albert Mohler Jr's latest book, We Cannot Be Silent (Nashville, Tennessee: Nelson Books 2015), he has a chapter on, 'It didn't start with same-sex marriage' (p. 17ff), in which he states that easy divorce is one of the factors in our culture that has led to a loosening of sexual preferences. He cites writer, Pat Conroy, who once stated that every divorce is 'the death of a small civilization'.

Mohler's comment is that 'the Christian church, joined by the secular state, had for centuries affirmed the larger civilization's responsibility to protect every one of those smaller civilizations' but no-fault divorce has 'led not only to the breakup of families but also to a pandemic of abandoned children. The devastating effects on children - and on boys in particular - caused by absentee fathers is now well known and well documented' (Mohler 2015:22-23).

It is with sadness that I see no-fault divorces devastating Christian families and the local church is often failing to address the issue.

Oz
This is a bit of a tangent but you might find it interesting.
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=o%27reilly+on+america%27s+race+problem&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-004
jim

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
tom55 said:

The best writer I've ever read on the subject was DR. SAMUELE BACCHIOCCHI. The link I had to some of his work is no longer available, but I would encourage you to find his book; The Marriage Covenant: A Biblical Study on Marriage, Divorce, and Remarriage.

In it, he does an excellent job at exposition of the word regarding this matter.

tom55

Sep 9, 2013
StanJ said:
The best writer I've ever read on the subject was DR. SAMUELE BACCHIOCCHI. The link I had to some of his work is no longer available, but I would encourage you to find his book; The Marriage Covenant: A Biblical Study on Marriage, Divorce, and Remarriage.

In it, he does an excellent job at exposition of the word regarding this matter.
Thanks StanJ! One thing that BACCHIOCCHI wrote I strongly agree with: "The recovery of the Biblical view of marriage as a sacred and permanent covenant, witnessed and guaranteed by God Himself, is indispensable in counteracting the secularization of marriage."

tom55

Sep 9, 2013
I probably didn't make my original post very clear.

What I don't understand is how so many Christian Churches are ALLOWING their members to get re-married in their churches when sexual immorality or unbelieving is not the cause for the separation. It's almost as if our Churches are complicit in this violation of Scripture. This part of Scripture does not seem to be taken serious by our Churches.

The reason I posted this in bible study is because I was hoping someone may know something in Scripture that I am missing about this subject! Something that lets our Church leaders off the hook because as of now it seems to me they are complicit.

Reactions: Sword

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
tom55 said:

What I don't understand is how so many Christian Churches are ALLOWING their members to get re-married in their churches when sexual immorality or unbelieving is not the cause for the separation. It's almost as if our Churches are complicit in this violation of Scripture. This part of Scripture does not seem to be taken serious by our Churches.

The reason I posted this in bible study is because I was hoping someone may know something in Scripture that I am missing about this subject! Something that lets our Church leaders off the hook because as of now it seems to me they are complicit.
Tom,

In my view, they are complicit by their continuing to perform such remarriages.

In my country, the problem seems to be related to the pastors being as theologically ignorant of this teaching as the people in the pew. In my cell group, there are 2 elderly (over 70) couple who were remarried late in life and I understand from occasional discussions that their previous spouses did not commit the 2 biblical reasons for divorce. I have yet to have a discussion about this with them. That may come at an appropriate time.

Perhaps there are some on this forum who divorced and remarried on grounds that were not given in Scripture and they could enlighten us on biblical or non-biblical reasons for why they did this.

Oz

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
tom55 said:
This is dealt with quite well with BACCHIOCCHI. He dissects exactly what scripture means in regards to sexual immorality. I'm believing is not a reason to get a divorce and is clearly prohibited in Scripture. 1 Cor 7:14

tom55

Sep 9, 2013
OzSpen said:
Tom,

In my view, they are complicit by their continuing to perform such remarriages.

In my country, the problem seems to be related to the pastors being as theologically ignorant of this teaching as the people in the pew. In my cell group, there are 2 elderly (over 70) couple who were remarried late in life and I understand from occasional discussions that their previous spouses did not commit the 2 biblical reasons for divorce. I have yet to have a discussion about this with them. That may come at an appropriate time.

Perhaps there are some on this forum who divorced and remarried on grounds that were not given in Scripture and they could enlighten us on biblical or non-biblical reasons for why they did this.

Oz
Thank You....I agree with your view.

This is what I was hoping for also, "Perhaps there are some on this forum who divorced and remarried on grounds that were not given in Scripture and they could enlighten us on biblical or non-biblical reasons for why they did this

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
tom55 said:

Churches allow or justify remarriage based on the idea that the purpose of marriage and divorce are linked together. In other words, they link the sanctioning of divorce with a sanctioning of remarriage. Jesus doesn't play these games as he plainly states that those who do remarry are adulterers. Jesus explains that the law allows for divorce for those who just simply don't have the heart for marriage; they are cold hearted. Cold hearted people should not marry in the first place, but if they do make this mistake they have this one way out. This is not an invitation to remarry. People don't seem to get this part. They think they should get a second chance. Take all of your chances with the person you VOWED to marry the first time, or your word means nothing anymore.

There's a similar argument I heard years ago dealing with abortion. A woman who cannot carry a baby to full term without miscarrying, or avoiding certain death should be allowed to continue to become pregnant and have as many abortions as she needs to in order to thwart death. If you can't have children then something needs to be done to insure that conception doesn't take place ever again.

What people in churches today are doing is in effect exactly what the legalistic Pharisees of Jesus' day were doing. Jesus came under the law so he gives them a lawful answer, and if people want to play these games then there really is no limit to the absurdity we can achieve with this issue.

For example: "Except for the case of fornication". Put another way, You must fornicate in order to legally release your spouse from their wedding vows so that they may remarry. If the marriage is seen as a burden to both parties and neither wants to be branded an adulterer, then both must fornicate with their respective new partners simultaneously to avoid this label. This is the only legal authorized way to remarry presented by our Lord Himself.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
man you really dig up the past dont you??
And yet I also provide a view into the future. How many observant Christians are in marriages they can't stand, but don't want to suffer the label of adulterer? Simply by going out and finding someone else to marry, they can simply arrange to fornicate with their new potential spouses simultaneously and become legally free of their marriage vows.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What people in churches today are doing is in effect exactly what the legalistic Pharisees of Jesus' day were doing.
This is what the Pharisees were doing, the fact of the matter is that they were teaching, that if a wife displeased her husband in any way, he could put her away! also if a man displeased his wife she could put him away, so this was becoming a standard. So Jesus said, "It was not so from the beginning' that a man would leave his father and mother, and Clive to his Wife and they would become One Flesh. It should read that if a man put away his wife to Marry another, you know! the younger, more beautiful woman, that that would be Adultery, and also that if a woman put her Husband away to marry another, you know! stronger, more Hansom maybe wealthier, man that would be Adultery. The Pharisees ask why did Moses give us this divorce, Jesus reply's " because of the hardness of your hearts" better to allow divorce than have them Kill one or the other. and in this day we have men that abuse their wives, both mentally and physically, and in some cases the women do the same, which can lead to Murder.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

simple if you read what else Jesus said about the same:

Mat 19:4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, 5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? 6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. 7 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away? 8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so. 9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

if my memory serves this is also in the law that Moses wrote. the Lord our God is not stupid, this condemnation by this thinking you've suggest is cruel, the condemnation of, you've made you bed, now lay in it, is of men, not a merciful God.

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This is very touchy but I believe what the bible says. The church really watered this down. Thank God that nothing ever happened that I got involved with the wrong woman when younger only to marry and divorce again. Looking back I see definite protection. Although I'm not ugly, I'm not a lady magnet, either, and perhaps the Lord's repellent LOL. My wife and I will be going on 31 years now and last year when my son was married, my wife and I danced to an unexpected honor announcement of being married for 30 years. We were both proud to comply with that honor. That said, I know there are some difficult circumstances. For me personally, IF something did happen, I would simply choose never to remarry.

I see two possibilities with a disturbed relationship to the brink of divorce:

1) No matter how much "in God's will" two people think they are, if they are so mismatched I'd have to wonder where God was in their lives (if at all) when they made their decision for each other. In my case, God assured me of this wife even when I had cold feet. Some rather be "swept off their feet" and therein is the problem.
2) And if God did put them together, then the real test is making the love work, not divorcing and then testifying God has someone better or that "God wanted me to learn a lesson". Believe me. It's not about you or her. God would not use something so holy as marriage, akin to the Sabbath, to "learn a lesson".

So, take a choice..... God was not with you the first time or ....... you can work it out. It takes a lot of guts to say in front of people I was deceived and not really a Christian the first time and in fact, I did not see the hand of God (but rather my hand) in this unsuccessful union. I have a friend who remarried, but she was not a Christian the first time she married. So, was that marriage in God's eyes if he had to chosen to have her believe later? I believe it was, but if anything makes the criteria for adultery I guess that does (he was cruel to her). As pragmatic as I sound, I am not insensitive nor avoid remarried people so don't get me wrong here.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

GINOLJC, to tom55, there are two types of marriages in the Hebrew economy. 1. an espouse marriage, or someone was betrothal. 2. a consummated marriage. if you're in an espouse marriage, and put away your wife, without a bill of divorcement, and marries another, yes you have committed adultery, legally. but if in an espouse marriage, and put away your wife, but gives a bill of divorcement, (with reason). and then marries another, no you're not committing adultery, because the marriage had not yet been consummated, or had sexual releation. the answer is clear in Matthew 5:32 "But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery". here one have both words, fornication, and adultery. the only time one can commit fornication in a marriage if they are espouse in a marriage.
hope this helped