How many have ever changed their minds...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Has anyone ever changed their minds on a doctrinal position as a result of praying and studying something out that they read here on CB?

Please share. Debate is not the goal here, as inevitable as it may be. Testimony is.

I'll start.

I once realized while dicussing covenants on another forum website, that I didn't know nearly enough about them. (Still don't, btw)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Has anyone ever changed their minds on a doctrinal position as a result of praying and studying something out that they read here on CB?

Please share. Debate is not the goal here, as inevitable as it may be. Testimony is.

I'll start.

I once realized while dicussing covenants on another forum website, that I didn't know nearly enough about them. (Still don't, btw)
But did you ever change your mind on something?

Much love!

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I'll start.

Here? Never, I have become more convinced after my dealings here. On another forum along time ago I changed my eschatology from fundie/evangelical perspective to a more Traditional approach

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here? Never, I have become more convinced after my dealings here. On another forum along time ago I changed my eschatology from fundie/evangelical perspective to a more Traditional approach
I have to admit that, while I do find the people here to be more friendly and tolerant than on many other forum websites, I haven't gotten as much food for thought as I'd hoped for. But I'm still quite new here, so I'm very hopeful. I find that forum discussion keeps me looking up Bible verses, which is good for my memory. So that's always a plus. Thanks so much for your participation! :)

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have to admit that, while I do find the people here to be more friendly and tolerant than on many other forum websites, I haven't gotten as much food for thought as I'd hoped for. But I'm still quite new here, so I'm very hopeful. I find that forum discussion keeps me looking up Bible verses, which is good for my memory. So that's always a plus. Thanks so much for your participation! :)
The reason you do not get as much "food"is most here do not study scripture, but instead compare feelings, emotions, and carnal dreams, and odd testimonies, instead of scripture.
if verses are attempted, it is only as an add on to attempt to justify the supposed being "led" by the Spirit.

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I came here believing Pentecostal Doctrine.
Never changed my mind.
I still believe Christians should seek the Baptism with the Holy Spirit with the evidence of Speaking in Tongues.
I still believe Christians should lay hands on the sick. (As done in the early church.)
I don't believe one has to be speaking in tongues in order to be saved, that's a United Pentecostal doctrine which I reject.
I believe one should be baptized in water, but I don't believe it's a requirement to be saved.
These are things I believed when I came here, and I did not change my believes one bit.
Praise God!
It's very simple: Believe in Jesus Christ and what He did on the cross, and you shall be saved.
One cannot earn his/her salvation by works. :)

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I'll start.

Hi Barney,
Yes...when starting on this board Spring of 18, I was a OSAS proponent. Now, after praying and digging into scripture...I find there to be very good reason to disbelieve in OSAS.
This site certainly has had me doing allot of "vetting" so in turn I also am reading more of The Word in this way...much like yourself :)
Also, another takeaway is that I did not know/understand as much as I thought I did.
Many threads and posts have posed very serious questions I have to honestly ask myself. There's probably more but...that's good for now :D

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I'll start.

LoL. This is precisely why I don't waste a lot of time teaching scripture. I am a much stronger interpreter of the word than I am of dreams and visions, and I've written nearly 100 full length Bible Studies on the epistles of the NT from close analysis of the Greek. But the vast majority of people on forums already have their minds made up, and I mean they already have them virtually 100% set in stone, so they are not under any circumstances here to learn anything. They are here to "teach." So I don't waste much time with it.

As far as me learning things and even changing my mind a few times, yes, there have been some instances. I had it happen through a member called "Pilgrimer," a sister whom I haven't seen on the forum in a long time. Other times it has not been through a member but the Holy Spirit showing me something in discussing or evaluating a passage that a greater understanding of the passage has dawned on me. Had this happen the other day, and it isn't all that rare. It's why I enjoy discussions on the passages themselves, rather than people spouting theology without actually analyzing scripture in its context:
The Peaceable Fruit of Righteousness

So yes, when your mind isn't completely closed off, you can learn things here, and even change your position occasionally. But for those whose minds are closed off, there's no chance of it. And one is wise to identify such types so as not to blow too much time on them. Time is extremely valuable to the servant of God, and is not to be wasted.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes, God puts us in a place where we need to share what He has shown us in His Word. So, you may not be here to glean as much as to share and fellowship. I hear ya about being in the Bible more looking up verses. Posting keeps me on my toes.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes, God puts us in a place where we need to share what He has shown us in His Word. So, you may not be here to glean as much as to share and fellowship. I hear ya about being in the Bible more looking up verses. Posting keeps me on my toes.

"Posting keeps me on my toes."

For sure, we need one another. "Iron sharpens Iron" :)
Sometimes we may never know why God places us in different spots unless He reveals it to us and, even if He doesn't, we still obeyed Him so, either way...win-win. :)

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The goal, IMHO, of these forums is to learn of other's beliefs and explain your own. Once we understand one another then we can evaluate the other's views and reexamine our own.

This is a good forum for that. There are many here who are mature students of Scripture and willing to discuss different views as fellow believers.

I have enjoyed my time here and hope you do as well.

Scoot

May 14, 2020
Victoria, Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Yes.

Many years ago I decided to try and understanding why OSAS believe what they do. (I didn't believe in OSAS but there were many people I respected that did hold the OSAS view and I couldn't see how they could possibly even consider such a concept from where I stood)

As a result of a genuine desire to understand why they believe - I found that a lot of what I believed about what they believed was wrong. Through the process my understanding changed greatly on salvation - especially in relation to true and false conversions (I never even considered a concept of a false convert before - I always believed that they were saved, and then 'lost' their salvation when they chose to sin again). While I never came full OSAS as I believe there are still some questionable references - I don't have a firm believe that they are definitely wrong either and have changed a lot of my doctrinal thinking on salvation.

As an example - this begins that when someone says 'the sinners prayer' at a church service - unlike the pastor who gives them assurance that 'if they are hit by a car in the parking lot tonight and die' they will be saved - I'm not convinced anymore - I know have an understanding of the possibility of 'false conversations' and consider that many of these prayers have no reference of repentance in them and may be simply emotional based with no real conviction. (I know no one knows the heart, but I have seen many say a prayer - and then a a short time later return to their own sinful lifestyle. In the past my thought was that they were saved for that short time and then walked away from God and that the kindest thing God could have done was to knock them down after they prayed that prayer. Now I hold and understanding that it's most likely in many of these cases they were never saved in the first place because there was no true repentance and they responded to a false gospel message).

Another doctrinal position I am seriously reconsidering at the moment is the continuing of the spiritual gifts. (I don't deny healing and miracles still take place, and that God answers prayer. Nor do I deny that we should pray for the sick or that people still can't be raised from the dead) - but I am questioning whether the 'gift of healing' or 'gift of prophecy' given to a particular individual ceased with the end of the apostles - and that a lot of what I believed to be true gifts is actually false gifts. This is still something I am working through.

My great concern is that I meet so many devoted Christians on different sides of arguments who never seem to be able to understand or consider another point of view from someone else who differs that's as equally as devoted as them. My thought is that I think we're all going to be wrong about something - and that gaining an understanding (not necessarily agreeing - but just to understand why they believe what they do) is a great tool to be able to communicate more clearly with them where I have concerns - or otherwise to gain a better understanding of where I might be wrong. If I have not learned something or changed my view in a long time on a matter - I figure I'm probably not learning, because I know I can't be right about everything without having mistakes. (Although I take great care with this to ensure that what I consider must line up with scripture).

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I'll start.

I haven't changed my mind as of yet, but I have learned things I didn't know before.
I am praying about a couple of things members have shared here....and the only reason I didn't outright reject what they were saying is because I had limited knowledge on the subject.
But what I have received has blessed me tremendously! :)

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Posting keeps me on my toes."

For sure, we need one another. "Iron sharpens Iron" :)
Sometimes we may never know why God places us in different spots unless He reveals it to us and, even if He doesn't, we still obeyed Him so, either way...win-win. :)

I used to live close to a military base. The military operates on a need to know basis. Military people can request certain jobs and places to live, but in the end, they have to go wherever they are sent, no questions asked.... Our lives as Christians are kind of like this. God doesn't always tell us the why's, but if we trust and obey, we will reap His rewards here and in heaven.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The goal, IMHO, of these forums is to learn of other's beliefs and explain your own. Once we understand one another then we can evaluate the other's views and reexamine our own.

This is a good forum for that. There are many here who are mature students of Scripture and willing to discuss different views as fellow believers.

I have enjoyed my time here and hope you do as well.
I've long said that I like to discuss things with smart nice people who know the Bible and disagree with me.

:)

I can test my views, come to understand other views better, and perhaps even more so, well, when one debates over and over and over on the same topics, one can come to learn to better articulate one's views.

Have I changed what I think because of forums? Because of many things! It's all one thing, the ministry of the Holy Spirit to conform me to Christ.

But I think if I were to quantify change, I'd say that from my forum participation, the greater change is in how I relate with others.

Much love!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to live close to a military base. The military operates on a need to know basis. Military people can request certain jobs and places to live, but in the end, they have to go wherever they are sent, no questions asked.... Our lives as Christians are kind of like this. God doesn't always tell us the why's, but if we trust and obey, we will reap His rewards here and in heaven.

This is a good analogy. I did a stint in early eighties and, in basic they had us do the dumbest things like, driving us out to the shooting range (first time, so we were excited) when we got there, they had us all carry hundreds of rocks, in our hands, across the field. When we were finished...had to do the same thing then they took us back! Lol. I understood what and why they were doing it and, it is now a very good comparison!

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I get paradigm shifts pretty regularly. I have come to expect them and hold my current understanding of God & His Word very lightly.

New revelation doesn't throw out the previous, it usually just reveals a bigger picture.

It is kind of like the progression of mathematics.
  • Multiplication doesn't make Addition untrue.
  • Algebra & Geometry doesn't make Multiplication untrue.
  • Physics doesn't make Algebra & Geometry untrue.
It is like we must learn the lesser truths, first, before we can learn greater truths.