How many years ago did Dinosaurs last walk the earth?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Now i got no idea where to post the subject, but when we look at the Bible and dinosaurs, dinosaurs would have walked the earth, in the days of Adam and Eve, did the great flood wipe them out I don't know, because you would think that Noah would have at least brought some different breeds of dinosaurs into the ark. But what we do know is the Bible talks a lot about beasts and birds in the field, and dinosaurs were most likely a few of those beasts. Now the last mention in the Bible before the book of Revelation, the last mention of the plural word "beasts" referring to the creatures that walk the ground of the earth is in James 3:7 according to Strongs Accordance. And the time frame of when the book of James was written is around A.D. 48 - A.D 62, so this may suggest that dinosaurs were still walking the earth at that time.

Now sorry for being ignorant to the science behind telling how old a fossil or bone is, but I myself, not being an expert in the Hebrew calendar, if the Hebrew calendar was created near the beginning of the earth or around during Abrahams time maybe?, and if it's only up to year 5777, that's means the main groups of dinosaurs could not have been extinct from the face of the earth 66 million years ago, unless if you find a spot to place millions of years in between Abraham and Adam and Eve. So when did the Hebrew Calendar start? Surely it was years before the Exodus, because that was around 1440 BC, so looking at all the biblical timeline, major groups of dinosaurs would have last walked the earth only a few thousand years ago, or maybe even less.

And as ridiculous as this may sound, the Loch Ness monster, which people may or may not have saw in the lake in the Scottish highlands, could it really have been a dinosaur that they were seeing? Maybe the Loch Ness monster could have been a plesiosaur or elasmosarus?

Don't take any of this as fact, these are my thoughts, so what are your thoughts people? When did dinosaurs last walk the earth? and how old are the discovered dinosaur fossils and bones really are? Maybe someone knows, maybe they don't.

Dinosaurs, RAWRRRRRRRRR! :D

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Josho

In trying to date the dinosaurs you have to deal with the dating of the original creation. I don't know if you are familiar with the 'gap theory', but you should study up on it as it will provide answers to these questions.

Briefly stated the 'gap theory' sees (Gen.1:1) as original creation. "In the beginning" As to when, exactly time wise, that 'beginning' was is unknown. (Much like John 1:1). "In the beginning was the Word".

Then in (Gen.1:2) you see the earth in a chaotic condition covered in darkness, and submerged in waters. Because this condition is contrary to God's method of creating and is exactly a condition of judgment, then between (Gen.1:1) and (1:2), something occurred which threw the earth into that condition. And that is what is known as a gap or period of time unknown to us.

The 'gap theory' believes that it was at this time that you had the rebellion of Satan, who was much involved with the earth. As a result there came judgement from God which placed the earth in the darkness you see in (Gen.1:2)

This of course makes the 6 days of creation, not 'original' creation but a 'recreation'. A restoration of the earth.

I believe this 'gap theory' is true. Not because science proves it, but because Scripture supports it. And it is here that I think the dinosaurs are to be located.

Stranger

Reactions: Dan57

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
I agree with Stranger, the gap theory seems plausible

The bible doesn't say how old the earth is. Genesis 1:1 says "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth," It doesn't say when the beginning was, and note that verse one ends with a comma, not a period.

Genesis 1:2 "And the earth was without form and void" "Was" is the wrong English word here, there is no 'was' in Hebrew. The Massorah renders it "hayah" (Strong's Concordance ref #1961). Hayah means; "to become or came to pass". So verse 2 should read that "The earth became void and without form". So millions or billions of years could have passed between verses 1 and 2 of Genesis.

Some believe (myself included) that there are 3 earth ages. The first age is past, we are in the second age, and the third is yet to come. God completely annihilated and destroyed the first earth age, dinosaurs and all after Satan's rebellion (2 Peter 3:5-7 and Jeremiah 4:19-28). Note that in Genesis 1:28, God says "Replenish the earth", suggesting that it was inhabited before.

So imo, God did not create the world void and empty, it became that way. Then God formed it to be inhabited by mankind (Isaiah 45:18). Many Christians don't accept this interpretation, but it makes sense to me... jmo

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Stranger said:
Josho

In trying to date the dinosaurs you have to deal with the dating of the original creation. I don't know if you are familiar with the 'gap theory', but you should study up on it as it will provide answers to these questions.

Briefly stated the 'gap theory' sees (Gen.1:1) as original creation. "In the beginning" As to when, exactly time wise, that 'beginning' was is unknown. (Much like John 1:1). "In the beginning was the Word".

Then in (Gen.1:2) you see the earth in a chaotic condition covered in darkness, and submerged in waters. Because this condition is contrary to God's method of creating and is exactly a condition of judgment, then between (Gen.1:1) and (1:2), something occurred which threw the earth into that condition. And that is what is known as a gap or period of time unknown to us.

The 'gap theory' believes that it was at this time that you had the rebellion of Satan, who was much involved with the earth. As a result there came judgement from God which placed the earth in the darkness you see in (Gen.1:2)

This of course makes the 6 days of creation, not 'original' creation but a 'recreation'. A restoration of the earth.

I believe this 'gap theory' is true. Not because science proves it, but because Scripture supports it. And it is here that I think the dinosaurs are to be located.

Stranger
Dan57 said:

The bible doesn't say how old the earth is. Genesis 1:1 says "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth," It doesn't say when the beginning was, and note that verse one ends with a comma, not a period.

Genesis 1:2 "And the earth was without form and void" "Was" is the wrong English word here, there is no 'was' in Hebrew. The Massorah renders it "hayah" (Strong's Concordance ref #1961). Hayah means; "to become or came to pass". So verse 2 should read that "The earth became void and without form". So millions or billions of years could have passed between verses 1 and 2 of Genesis.

Some believe (myself included) that there are 3 earth ages. The first age is past, we are in the second age, and the third is yet to come. God completely annihilated and destroyed the first earth age, dinosaurs and all after Satan's rebellion (2 Peter 3:5-7 and Jeremiah 4:19-28). Note that in Genesis 1:28, God says "Replenish the earth", suggesting that it was inhabited before.

So imo, God did not create the world void and empty, it became that way. Then God formed it to be inhabited by mankind (Isaiah 45:18). Many Christians don't accept this interpretation, but it makes sense to me... jmo
Interesting views, but I think I will stick with holding the 1st view i have though on dinosaurs for now, as creatures that walked the earth during Biblical times, along with mammoths. If there were giants in the old testament like Goliath, then there could have been dinosaurs too, there's no reason that dinosaurs couldn't have walked the earth during Old Testament days, and we do not know whether if Noah brought any dinosaurs into his ark or not. And it's possible for Satan and fallen angels to have been thrown down to the depths of the earth when it was formless, empty and dark and nothing else was in it, after all it would make sense to throw Satan into a dark empty place, after he rebelled against God, if God created a prehistoric age on earth, then why throw Satan down to earth with life on it? Why not throw him into outer space? I guess we will all find out the whole story in heaven.

Notice that a greater and lesser light were made after the gap. That means that skies were not lit with the sun, moon and stars while the earth was void, and that itself suggests that there was no natural light before Genesis 1:2. This was the fourth day when God put lights in the sky

14 And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.” And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.

There's no definite answer, and is one of the many things that we probably won't find out until we get to heaven, there's a book called "Nine Days in Heaven" and it's a biography about a worldly girl by the name of Marietta Davis, she fell into a 9 day trance and saw a 9 day long vision, she had an angelic guide and she was shown through heaven, she saw heaven exactly as how it's described in Revelation, with all the precious stones and gold around the walls and gates, she also got to meet Jesus, and saw all the wonderful spirit beings of light while she was in heaven, she was taken to see the infant spirits by her guide, those were babies who had died here on this earth, and they had other heavenly beings teaching them about the life of Jesus, and as they were being taught they would be taken into the scene, and it was a lot more real then a movie, they would see the past like they were actually there when Jesus was born, when Jesus was crucified, and they would see what happened exactly in both the natural and supernatural realms when these events took place, if infants are being taught that in heaven, imagine how much more we will learn when we get up there, and in the detail we will learn the things that we do not know of, you could be sure you would definitely learn the fullness of what happened before history on this earth was created.

Anyway she was also taken to hell in this vision, and here's a summary, the angelic guide left her there in that place of misery for an unknown period of time, and she saw some of her friends who ended up in hell, and some other people, and it was a deceitful place, there would be a delicious looking piece of fruit on the tree, and her friend would eat it, and it would only bring more misery, as she ate it, it didn't taste sweet at all, it would just burn and burn their mouths, Marietta became terrified while she was in hell and started running from her own friends, and she cried out to God, with no response for a length of time, a bunch of educated atheists taunted her, a choir and priest were making an awful noise, many people would also taunt the choir and priest, evil spirits and demons would also frighten her, she just only saw and heard worse and worse things, until eventually it was time for her to go back up to heaven, the angelic guide then explained to her about the kind of life she was living on earth, and how she was to change her ways when she arrived back on earth, Marietta didn't want to leave heaven back into earth, but the angelic guide told her, we will see you again up here, you still got some stuff you must do on earth, she then entered the earth again, woke up, repented and asked Jesus into her life and told everybody what she had saw.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Dan57 said:

Dan57 said:

Dan57 said:

so as Christians we are being asked to accept that death existed long before Adam.s sin - dinosaurs have been dug up surrounded by modern dead animals, birds and plants - twinc

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
twinc

Adam wasn't the first one to sin. Nor was Eve.

Stranger

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dan57 said:

Well, its a good theory, but if it was void without form and all things had to be created again, then wouldn't it stand to reason we wouldn't find the skeletons of the dinosaurs? If it was a clean-sheet design, then it would have been void of their fossils. So this theory doesn't stand very well, Dan.

What I would consider is that it is reasonable to believe they were destroyed in the flood. Just because we find the fossils in one place doesn't mean tha'ts where they died. Could they have not come to rest in those places as the waters receded? That would also explain why they are buried under so much sediment.

Once again, just another theory. I actually really like this discussion.

Reactions: Josho

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Born_Again said:
Well, its a good theory, but if it was void without form and all things had to be created again, then wouldn't it stand to reason we wouldn't find the skeletons of the dinosaurs? If it was a clean-sheet design, then it would have been void of their fossils. So this theory doesn't stand very well, Dan.

What I would consider is that it is reasonable to believe they were destroyed in the flood. Just because we find the fossils in one place doesn't mean tha'ts where they died. Could they have not come to rest in those places as the waters receded? That would also explain why they are buried under so much sediment.

Once again, just another theory. I actually really like this discussion.
Why would it stand to reason? Just because you say so? Your reason? Who said it was a 'clean sheet design'? You did. Thus according to the 'gap theory', your clean sheet design is not involved. According to your theory, the clean sheet design is involved. Nice try.

Water, the flood, is involved also in the earth being submerged in water before the six day creation. (Gen.1:2) "...and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters."

The gap theory is supported by Scripture. Yours, well, you haven't given any.

Stranger

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Stranger said:
Why would it stand to reason? Just because you say so? Your reason? Who said it was a 'clean sheet design'? You did. Thus according to the 'gap theory', your clean sheet design is not involved. According to your theory, the clean sheet design is involved. Nice try.

Water, the flood, is involved also in the earth being submerged in water before the six day creation. (Gen.1:2) "...and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters."

Stranger

this is just your incorrect interpretation - there was no earth submerged in water and without form and void means without trees and bees and vegetation or animals or mountains and rivers and valleys etc but completely flat and level and no sun or sunset or moon or moonlight or stars and starlight or breeze or bees or flowers or fruits or rain or snow or milk or honey etc - twinc

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
twinc

Please read (Gen.1:2-10). It clearly pictures earth under water.

'Without form and void' is a picture of chaos and judgement. "An undistinguishable ruin, emptiness" (strongs) Just like the flood of Noah was judgement.

Go next to (Jer. 4). You should read the whole chapter to understand what is going on in the verses I give you. It is God Who is disturbed in His very being over the judgement He must bring upon Judah. The verses I especially point out are (Jer. 4:20-27) " Destruction upon destruction is cried: for the whole land is spoiled:...For my people is foolish, they have not known me; ...they are wise to do evil, but to do good they have no knowledge. I beheld the earth, and lo it was without form, and void; and the heavens, and they had no light. I beheld the mounatins, and lo they trembled, and all the hills moved lightly. I beheld, and there was no man....I beheld, and, lo, the fruitful place was a wilderness, and all the cities thereof were broken dowen at the presence of the LORD, and by his fierce anger...The whole land shall shall be desolate;...."

Note verse (23) especially. "without form and void". It is a picture of judgement. I don't know where you dreamed up your interpretation, but you are wrong.

Stranger

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Stranger said:

Stranger
The point is the earth was empty, it was empty, there was nothing in the deep. Was there a 1st earth age before Genesis? probably not. It is the way it is, the way God formed it in Genesis, and you can read Psalm 104 for that. And if you search the scripture, I'm sure there is much more that backs up the belief that Genesis was the one and only beginning of the earth and that dinosaurs walked the earth during biblical times.

And as you read later on in Genesis chapter 1. What does God create?

Creatures in the sea, birds in the air, the beasts of the earth, cattle and everything that creeps on the earth, in some versions of the Bible, it's even translated that God created great sea monsters, and i believe all these creatures includes all kinds of dinosaurs, dinosaurs in the sea, dinosaurs that walk the land, dinosaurs in the sky. It was a new creation, it was the original creation of creatures on the earth, there wasn't anything like it on this earth before.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Josho said:
The point is the earth was empty, it was empty, there was nothing in the deep. Was there a 1st earth age before Genesis? probably not. It is the way it is, the way God formed it in Genesis, and you can read Psalm 104 for that. And if you search the scripture, I'm sure there is much more that backs up the belief that Genesis was the one and only beginning of the earth and that dinosaurs walked the earth during biblical times.

And as you read later on in Genesis chapter 1. What does God create?

Creatures in the sea, birds in the air, the beasts of the earth, cattle and everything that creeps on the earth, in some versions of the Bible, it's even translated that God created great sea monsters, and i believe all these creatures includes all kinds of dinosaurs, dinosaurs in the sea, dinosaurs that walk the land, dinosaurs in the sky. It was a new creation, it was the original creation of creatures on the earth, there wasn't anything like it on this earth before.
The point is the "earth was formless and void and darkness was upon the face of the deep". A picture of judgement as I just showed in (Jer. 4:20-27). Doesn't that mean anything to you, or do you just ignore what you don't want to believe?

(Ps. 104) proves nothing for or against the gap theory. If you think it does, explain.

Just because you say the six day creation is the original creation doesn't make it so. You can believe that all you want, but you offer nothing to disprove the gap theory.

During the six day creation period, how did God create? He always said, "Let there be" and then "it was". And nothing He created was in a formless or chaotic state. It was perfect. Adam and Eve were not in a formless and void state when He created them. They were perfect and in a mature state.

Again, believe whatever you like, but you offer nothing to disprove the gap theory, other than you don't believe it.

Stranger

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the more important issue in the wording of Genesis is not how it relates to the dinosaurs, but how it relates to the believer. I think the narrative is written in such a way as to reveal Christ's new creation as it relates to the old creation. Consider the following...

The earth was formless and void.
Darkness was over the face of the deep.
The Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
God said, "Let there be light."

So, catch the imagery here. We have a dark, empty, chaotic world that is shrouded in darkness with no form, beauty of purpose. Then...

The Spirit hovers over the waters. God's word arrives. Light bursts forth and God's creative purpose, brilliance and beauty begins to transform the world.

John shows us how this was written to help us understand the role of Christ in the world.

The world (humanity) is void and without purpose.
The world is plunged in sin and darkness.
Yet Christ bursts into the world as the Light of the world.
He is the Logos that brings meaning, purpose and life to a empty and chaotic world.

In fact, John portrays the Word, the waters of Christian baptism and the Spirit coming together on the believer to make them a new creation in Christ. The old, dark, void life is transformed by the word, the Spirit and the life of Christ to make all things new.

In sum, the Genesis account is about God bringing meaning, life and light out of a chaotic world of darkness and lifelessness. The NT shows us how God brings meaning, life and light out of our chaotic lives of sin and darkness by the power and life of Jesus Christ. In sum, I think the wording of Genesis has a Christological focus, not a scientific one. Of course, I believe the Genesis account is true, but I just think it was written of a focus other than giving us theories of the age of the earth or other such things.

Reactions: Born_Again

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wormwood

But then we are left with your theory of why Genesis was written. You reject the Gap Theory and replace it with only a Christological interpretation. With that method of interpretation one could ignore the whole historical base of the Bible. One could say the exodus of Israel didn't really happen, or is not important. It is just God showing us how He has delivered and will deliver His people from evil.

Of course we can and should draw parallels throughout all of Scripture of what God has done and is doing with Christ and the believers. Because the whole Bible is about Jesus Christ. You opt only for the truth of the type. But there is truth in learning of the event that depicts the type also. And how accurate is your type when you're inaccurate in the historical event that represents your type?

One should ask, if the earth is in a dark chaotic state submerged in waters, why is it that way? It already is in existence but is in darkness. God is not darkness. He is light. And whenever He creates there is light. But for some reason, God turned the light out over the earth which is already existing, and submerged it in waters of judgement.

One should ask also, concerning (Jer.4:23) when the term 'formless and void' is used to depict judgement, why would the same exact term be used to describe Judah and the judgement to come which is used to describe the earth in (Gen .1:2)? It is because the judgment Judah was going to go through was going to be so terrible that for the few survivors they could only think God is done with Israel. It's over. But God is showing and saying to them, no, it is not over. Just like God brought the earth under judgement and darkness and chaos, He also delivered it again. And you, Israel, can know that he will do the same with you. (Jer.4:27) "For the whole land shall be desolate; yet will I not make a full end."

So, if the earth in (Gen.1:2) is not a picture of judgement and the six day creation is not a restoration, then there is no hope in these passages of Jeremiah.

And then you can draw other parallels from this truth.

Stranger

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stranger,

I think it is important to understand that Genesis was not written for Western, 21st century thinkers. This does NOT mean it isn't true. It just wasn't written for the purpose of quantifying things and it is not a science book. It was written 1) as an apologetic against false religions and their creation stories, 2) to create a framework for daily life for Israel in remembering God in everything they did and 3) to point to the fulfillment of God's creative purposes and that is for the glory of Jesus Christ. All things are by him and for him.

So, no, this is not to say it didn't happen or it isn't true. It is just to say that when people start trying to answer questions that a narrative was not written to answer...they are bound to start misusing the text and miss its purpose. To me, it is like saying Revelation was written to point to a final 7-year tribulation, secret rapture and future Antichrist. That is not the point of the book and when a person starts to use it to try to find signs or predictions of "end times" events they are bound to completely distort and misuse the book. Is Jesus really coming back? Of course. But the book is not a newspaper to predict future events. It was written for Christians in the 1st century who were struggling under intense persecution and its message continues to inspire and instruct Christians for every generation about faithfulness in the midst of a world steeped in evil and under the wrath of a holy God.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wormwood said:
Stranger,

I think it is important to understand that Genesis was not written for Western, 21st century thinkers. This does NOT mean it isn't true. It just wasn't written for the purpose of quantifying things and it is not a science book. It was written 1) as an apologetic against false religions and their creation stories, 2) to create a framework for daily life for Israel in remembering God in everything they did and 3) to point to the fulfillment of God's creative purposes and that is for the glory of Jesus Christ. All things are by him and for him.

So, no, this is not to say it didn't happen or it isn't true. It is just to say that when people start trying to answer questions that a narrative was not written to answer...they are bound to start misusing the text and miss its purpose. To me, it is like saying Revelation was written to point to a final 7-year tribulation, secret rapture and future Antichrist. That is not the point of the book and when a person starts to use it to try to find signs or predictions of "end times" events they are bound to completely distort and misuse the book. Is Jesus really coming back? Of course. But the book is not a newspaper to predict future events. It was written for Christians in the 1st century who were struggling under intense persecution and its message continues to inspire and instruct Christians for every generation about faithfulness in the midst of a world steeped in evil and under the wrath of a holy God.
Your view of Scripture is extremely nauseating to me. It discourages rather than encourages Bible study. It is debilitating to the Body of Christ.

The Bible was written by God, not man. And God was aware of His people in the 21st century just as well as He was aware of those who came out of Egypt during the Exodus. He did not write it for any certain generation. He wrote it for His people in all generations. (1Peter 1:10-12) "Of which salvation the prophets have inquired and searched diligently,who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you: Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow. Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves,but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into."

The prophets searched the Scriptures to understand the times. The writings were so stupendous that the angels want to look into them. But you just generalize with an off the cuff interpretation. No need to study the Book of Revelation. Just know that Jesus is coming back. God loves you. Stay away from evil. Gee, that's some deep stuff. That really helps.

I come to Bible study as one that is mining for gold, looking for gems of truth that God has hid and knowing that He wants me to search and dig for them.

I reject completely your view of Scripture and method of interpretation.

Stranger

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Josho said:
Now i got no idea where to post the subject, but when we look at the Bible and dinosaurs, dinosaurs would have walked the earth, in the days of Adam and Eve, did the great flood wipe them out I don't know, because you would think that Noah would have at least brought some different breeds of dinosaurs into the ark. But what we do know is the Bible talks a lot about beasts and birds in the field, and dinosaurs were most likely a few of those beasts. Now the last mention in the Bible before the book of Revelation, the last mention of the plural word "beasts" referring to the creatures that walk the ground of the earth is in James 3:7 according to Strongs Accordance. And the time frame of when the book of James was written is around A.D. 48 - A.D 62, so this may suggest that dinosaurs were still walking the earth at that time.

Now sorry for being ignorant to the science behind telling how old a fossil or bone is, but I myself, not being an expert in the Hebrew calendar, if the Hebrew calendar was created near the beginning of the earth or around during Abrahams time maybe?, and if it's only up to year 5777, that's means the main groups of dinosaurs could not have been extinct from the face of the earth 66 million years ago, unless if you find a spot to place millions of years in between Abraham and Adam and Eve. So when did the Hebrew Calendar start? Surely it was years before the Exodus, because that was around 1440 BC, so looking at all the biblical timeline, major groups of dinosaurs would have last walked the earth only a few thousand years ago, or maybe even less.

And as ridiculous as this may sound, the Loch Ness monster, which people may or may not have saw in the lake in the Scottish highlands, could it really have been a dinosaur that they were seeing? Maybe the Loch Ness monster could have been a plesiosaur or elasmosarus?

Don't take any of this as fact, these are my thoughts, so what are your thoughts people? When did dinosaurs last walk the earth? and how old are the discovered dinosaur fossils and bones really are? Maybe someone knows, maybe they don't.

Dinosaurs, RAWRRRRRRRRR! :D
fwiw, Egyptian steles depicting outsized Pharaohs and people riding dinosaurs were long thought to be idealized, but have recently been postulated as accurate depictions. Despite the drawbacks of Carbon 14 dating--that being chiefly that you cannot date something with no carbon 14 in it that way, and that the half-life of C14 places a practical limit on how far back we can look, about 60k years or so.
"Because the half-life of carbon-14 is 5,700 years, it is only reliable for dating objects up to about 60,000 years old. However, the principle of carbon-14 dating applies to other isotopes as well. Potassium-40 is another radioactive element naturally found in your body and has a half-life of 1.3 billion years. Other useful radioisotopes for radioactive dating include Uranium -235 (half-life = 704 million years), Uranium -238 (half-life = 4.5 billion years), Thorium-232 (half-life = 14 billion years) and Rubidium-87 (half-life = 49 billion years).
The use of various radioisotopes allows the dating of biological and geological samples with a high degree of accuracy. However, radioisotope dating may not work so well in the future. Anything that dies after the 1940s, when Nuclear bombs, nuclear reactors and open-air nuclear tests started changing things, will be harder to date precisely.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/earth/geology/carbon-142.htm

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stranger said:

Stranger
It stands to reason... That means, Stranger, a reasonable person could reasonably conceive the idea. That doesn't mean its true. Like I said, its a theory. All of this is a theory (in relation to the OP) because we weren't there, we don't know.

So, I can only assume you are not reasonable. I'm not entirely sure why you came out guns blazing at such a trivial topic. LOL This made me chuckle. :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: :happy-smiley58: :happy-smiley58:

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Born_Again said:
It stands to reason... That means, Stranger, a reasonable person could reasonably conceive the idea. That doesn't mean its true. Like I said, its a theory. All of this is a theory (in relation to the OP) because we weren't there, we don't know.

So, I can only assume you are not reasonable. I'm not entirely sure why you came out guns blazing at such a trivial topic. LOL This made me chuckle. :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: :happy-smiley58: :happy-smiley58:
Is Jesus Christ a theory?

Stranger

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stranger,

I don't think you understand my position at all. I believe the Bible is inerrant and inspired by God. I believe it was written for all generations. However, if it wouldn't have made sense to original audience, then you likely are not reading it properly. The problem with many popular hermeneutical methods today is that they completely ignore 2000 years of church history (and 1000s of years of Israelite history) and pretend the Bible was written to 21st century Westerners to fulfill their fascination with predicting "end times" events or dating fossils. In my opinion, this is the saddest approach to the Bible because it ignores both the needs of believers throughout history and ignores the underlying thrusts of issues related to theodicy, perseverance, faithfulness, and a right world view in favor of trying to "prove" the Bible with timelines and charts.

Reactions: Born_Again