how should a women dress?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Any way she pleases. We don't all have the same lifestyle so some women dress smart for their high positions in the work place and some dress for comfort and anything in between. And it's nobody else's business what we wear. We are FREE in Jesus so don't try to put chains on us!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Holy999 Welcome to the forum!

She should dress in a way that pleases God! Fig leaves have already been tried!

And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons." Gen 3:7
To be honest John, I don't think God cares.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To be honest John, I don't think God cares.
Don't we care how someone we love appears? Does not God love each one of us?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life" John 3:16

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Don't we care how someone we love appears? Does not God love each one of us?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life" John 3:16
You don't look very dressed up in your picture.

Reactions: Nancy and amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don't look very dressed up in your picture.
LOL. No, but then I was not worshipping nor even talking to Him in that moment either. That was taken at my 70th surprise birthday party in 2013 set up my wife. Naive as I have always been I didn't have clue until suddenly there were all of those people...

When attending church services I have always worn the best that I could afford. In most recent years that has always been a suit with a tie even though in most places lately few if any others are doing the same. I certainly don't expect everyone else to live by my convictions. But... I must do what I believe God wants me to do.

B

Butterfly

I do believe that some of the outfits that's some women wear could creat problems and not be a ' wise ' choice. ( I mean if a women was to enter church in a bikini - well some of the outfits young girls wear come really close to swimwear ) So I don't actually believe women , or men for that matter , should not take others in to account sometimes.
However I have been part of churches where ' you wore your best ' for Sunday, but it created problems when you didn't really have lots of nice clothes and you felt like a ' second rate christian as a result. I felt more a part of things when these dress codes did not apply- it didn't mean you couldn't wear a suit of your best, it just meant that you could also wear casual clothes as well and you didn't stand out.
Many believe that you should dress up for your husband ( interestingly enough it never seemed to apply the other way around ) I remember once my husband had completely rejected me, told me he did not love me because I had put on a little bit of weight. For someone recovering from an eating disorder, that ripped my heart in two- I knew then that he would not love me when I got older. Anyway I shared this with a Christian friend- her advise ' dress up for your husband ' - That just added to the hurt. Obviously with hindsight my husband was sharing our marriage and looking at me to blame and justify his actions .
Some would say I was wrong not ' to dress up for my husband ' but I couldnt simply detach from his words and rejection and just consider his needs ' in that moment I was broken. My friend was just so black and white about things, cold even........
Sorry I have slightly digressed...........
Rita

Reactions: Nancy

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
normal or special
Normal is probably the best option, in accordance with current social customs.

Younger ones on the prowl tend to dress in expected hunting clothes.

How you dress, sends a signal as to the goal you are attempting to achieve.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Do you think the first followers of Jesus who met in each others homes would wear 'best' clothes? We don't in my fellowship. There is no dress code. We wear what we are comfortable with which is mainly casual. Wearing 'best' is a form of showing off and can set people apart and cause the poorer people to feel like outsiders.

Reactions: Willie T and marks

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Any way she pleases. We don't all have the same lifestyle so some women dress smart for their high positions in the work place and some dress for comfort and anything in between. And it's nobody else's business what we wear. We are FREE in Jesus so don't try to put chains on us!
I agree, it's the "HEART" and out of it comes the code of conduct, as well as the dress code. only when pride and and in morden language "uppity attitudes", comes into play is the dress codes destroyed. as we can plainly see in Isaiah. it's nothing wrong in the dress, but is there something wrong with the HEART.

Isaiah 3:16 "Moreover the LORD saith, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing as they go, and making a tinkling with their feet:

Isaiah 3:17 "Therefore the Lord will smite with a scab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and the LORD will discover their secret parts.

Isaiah 3:18 "In that day the Lord will take away the bravery of their tinkling ornaments about their feet, and their cauls, and their round tires like the moon,

Isaiah 3:19 "The chains, and the bracelets, and the mufflers,

Isaiah 3:20 "The bonnets, and the ornaments of the legs, and the headbands, and the tablets, and the earrings,

Isaiah 3:21 "The rings, and nose jewels,Isaiah 3:22 "The changeable suits of apparel, and the mantles, and the wimples, and the crisping pins,

Isaiah 3:23 "The glasses, and the fine linen, and the hoods, and the vails.

Isaiah 3:24 "And it shall come to pass, that instead of sweet smell there shall be stink; and instead of a girdle a rent; and instead of well set hair baldness; and instead of a stomacher a girding of sackcloth; and burning instead of beauty.

So there was nothing wrong with the dress, only when it controls you. as Isaiah 3:16 said, "haughty", proud. "walk with stretched forth necks", uppity attitudes, noses in the air. "wanton eyes", blink, or winking of the eyes, TEASING, in unwanted desires. "walking and mincing", in today's language, switching or throwing of ones hips, or a woman swagger.

as for the Married, 1 Peter 3:1 "Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;

1 Peter 3:2 "While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear.

1 Peter 3:3 "Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

1 Peter 3:4 "But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

There it is, the "HEART". as Pearl said,
We don't all have the same lifestyle so some women dress smart for their high positions in the work place and some dress for comfort and anything in between

let your heart be your guide.

even Jezebel, it was not her make up nor her cloths, but her EVIL"HEART" that was her downfall.

so my advice to the Married and the unmarried women, let God in your heart guide you in your dress. Remember married, you are to please your husband as well as he you, but dress accordingly as God is in both of you. likewise the unmarried.

PICJAG.

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The purpose of clothing is simple.

The FLESH body Sinned.
That which is SIN, is a SHAME, before God.

COVERING the FLESH, was respect unto God, to COVER one Sinful Shameful FLESH from His sight.

In this World: We have the presence of:
Men Forgiven his sins...
And
Men NOT forgiven his sins...

IF a man is forgiven his sins: clothing IS irrelevant:
That man IS Covered with Gods LIGHT, and God neither SEES or REMEMBERS the sin of that man's Flesh.

IF burning desires OF the FLESH, Still Remain in a man, (and we know many are not forgiven, and can hear and observe outward Desires of men)...

Then it is Obvious... God doesn't care What you wear....yet a person Will be publically subjected to other people's Desires and Intent and their Actions...
(Which has a wide range, from gaulking, disrespectful comments, touching, grabbing,
gossip, rape, photo and reports distribution, etc.)

KNOW your audience, of WHO will be seeing what you wear...and KNOW what reaction you can Expect to encounter.

Glory to God,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A code of Dress is a popular society Aspect.

A particular designated Group will wear clothing to Outwardly distinguish-- their GANG and their STATUS within the GANG.

Government Officials and Personal...
Military...
Religions...
Races...
Medical personal...
Rescue Personal...
Musicians...
Prisoners..
Leagues..
Teams...
Thugs...
Etc.
All have their GANG affiliation reflected in their clothing (and many, also with body art).

Glory to God,
Taken

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do believe that some of the outfits that's some women wear could creat problems and not be a ' wise ' choice. ( I mean if a women was to enter church in a bikini - well some of the outfits young girls wear come really close to swimwear ) So I don't actually believe women , or men for that matter , should not take others in to account sometimes.
However I have been part of churches where ' you wore your best ' for Sunday, but it created problems when you didn't really have lots of nice clothes and you felt like a ' second rate christian as a result. I felt more a part of things when these dress codes did not apply- it didn't mean you couldn't wear a suit of your best, it just meant that you could also wear casual clothes as well and you didn't stand out.
Many believe that you should dress up for your husband ( interestingly enough it never seemed to apply the other way around ) I remember once my husband had completely rejected me, told me he did not love me because I had put on a little bit of weight. For someone recovering from an eating disorder, that ripped my heart in two- I knew then that he would not love me when I got older. Anyway I shared this with a Christian friend- her advise ' dress up for your husband ' - That just added to the hurt. Obviously with hindsight my husband was sharing our marriage and looking at me to blame and justify his actions .
Some would say I was wrong not ' to dress up for my husband ' but I couldnt simply detach from his words and rejection and just consider his needs ' in that moment I was broken. My friend was just so black and white about things, cold even........
Sorry I have slightly digressed...........
Rita

I'm sorry Rita...if a man who you are married to really meant his vows, he would never look at your outward appearance that way, ever! I can see how that would have hurt :(
If a woman wants to wear a skirt and heels within reason...more power to her. If another woman is more comfortable in slacks and a blouse...nothing wrong with that but, if a woman wish's to dress in order to attract the eyes of men then I think that is not so okay. Especially if attending services. Myself? Jeans and a tee. And yes Rita, you are right, soooo many of the young women today are scarcely clad! You would think men would get tired of it all o_O.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
so my advice to the Married and the unmarried women, let God in your heart guide you in your dress. Remember married, you are to please your husband as well as he you, but dress accordingly as God is in both of you. likewise the unmarried.
And to the married and unmarried MEN too

Reactions: Angelina

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
GINOLJC to all.

(smile), ........ man oh man, you're on us... :rolleyes:

(smile) ... you made sure it went both ways....... :p

take care,

PICJAG.
My husband is a jeans and jumper man and hasn't worn a suit for many years.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My husband is a jeans and jumper man and hasn't worn a suit for many years.
GREAT, I dwell in both worlds of the Jeans and the suit, when appropriate. my wife especially on sundy always dress up, no matter what.

PICJAG.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
GREAT, I dwell in both worlds of the Jeans and the suit, when appropriate. my wife especially on sundy always dress up, no matter what.

PICJAG.
I don't have stuff I save for 'best'. I wear what I feel comfy in whether it's to church, shopping, gardening, cleaning or just sitting. I just have clothes, mostly jeans and pants, jumpers and tops which are suitable for our UK changeable weather.

Reactions: Nancy

Collin Feener

Aug 2, 2019
Toronto Ont Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If you are talking about how to dress before God. When you first come to Jesus and are born again, you are naked. The scriptures or God's word are your robes and clothing. If you only have the understanding of flesh you cover yourself with the skins of beast or animals but put on wisdom from the word and it is as a robe of honor and understanding as a robe of majesty. Put on faith as a robe of righteousness and these three are acceptable clothing to where in God's eyes. When we cover our nakedness we cover our shame and our natural or carnal cloth or everyday living cloth don't matter.

Reactions: amadeus