How Should I Pray?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We want our prayers answered.

We know that if we pray according to God's will, then our prayers will be answered.

Some have told us God always answers their prayers.

I don't say God always answers mine, but then, I look back over what I've prayed, and it's not always from faith, and it's not necessarily What God Wants.

I see when I pray,

"God, make this sickness go away,"

that this is not the same prayer as,

"God, let this trial complete it's perfect work."

Which prayer is answered? When does the sickness go away?

I see when I pray,

"God, please provide the money to pay for this need,"

this discounts God's promise to always provide for my needs, but if I pray,

"God, please give me wisdom in using my resources according to Your plan,"

the one is me looking at my circumstance, God, there's a hole that has to be filled, the other, just following His lead, and let Him find the holes and fill them.

Are we to always pray for healing, expecting to always be healed?

Are we to never pray for healing, expecting that God knows when we need healing, and we simply pray for His strength to fulfill His will?

What I find mostly is that what I need is to have the right attitude towards what my Faithful Creator, Who is my Loving Father, what He is doing.

Much love!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How Powerful Is the Power of Prayer? How Can We Gain It?

just realized . . . already a thread going . . . going there . . .

Much love!

Some threads which 'seem' to be the same , often develop very differently.

I wouldn't abandon one for the other.

I believe that it not 'how' we pray , ie words... "take these boils away" OR "Lord change me via this experience"

It's the prayer of faith which wins the day...we know that.
And Faith comes by hearing...so I believe strongly that when we get quiet enough before God the Holy Spirit takes over and leads us how to pray and what to pray. Then it is God doing it not us, and He will get His own prayer answered.

You already quoted where we stand-
1 John 5 "And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:
And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him
."

When we are too uncomfortable with pain to get still and hear...then panic prayers are always at hand ...mine is- " O Lord, O Lord O Lord....I have no words..just hold me. " :)

Reactions: Nancy and marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 5 "And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:
And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him
."

When we are too uncomfortable with pain to get still and hear...then panic prayers are always at hand ...mine is- " O Lord, O Lord O Lord....I have no words..just hold me. " :)

At the end of the day, we just pray from our hearts.

I remember realizing that some time back, perfunctory prayers are an absolute waste of time, and if I don't care about something, how should I expect God to take me seriously?

You mention something powerful, our discomfort with pain and suffering.

I wonder how many prayers are offered to take away something we totally need? How can we tell?

I'm thinking the only way is to pray believing, and His answer is always best. I think what I need at times is to remember that what's important to God isn't always what's important to me.

Perhaps the question I'm really looking at here is at what point should we question whether we pray in faith, and at what point should we questions whether God has appointed us for some certain suffering?

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Perhaps the question I'm really looking at here is at what point should we question whether we pray in faith, and at what point should we questions whether God has appointed us for some certain suffering?

Ive gotta go...but will be back...hope I can still find it then too.

This almost dovetails with the other thread re suffering.
To me God is never the one hurting us for the sake of it...or leaving us in pain. ( an boy can I relate to that..)

I have shouted at God a time or two.
My dad was dying and suffering ...I went away from him and shut doors ..and yelled at God... " Take him, what are you waiting for?"

I do think He allows the Tester to test us..just to see if we will 'go away'...when things don't change in our circumstances how we want them to. I believe He uses it, but I don't believe He sends it to harm but to solidify our trust in Him.

I sure do not like or enjoy it at the time...it is only ( maybe weeks) later that I can see what He did IN me, through it.

I can talk myself into circles here for sure ... :D

Sorry, gotta run...

Reactions: Nancy and marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ive gotta go...but will be back...hope I can still find it then too.

This almost dovetails with the other thread re suffering.
To me God is never the one hurting us for the sake of it...or leaving us in pain. ( an boy can I relate to that..)

I have shouted at God a time or two.
My dad was dying and suffering ...I went away from him and shut doors ..and yelled at God... " Take him, what are you waiting for?"

I do think He allows the Tester to test us..just to see if we will 'go away'...when things don't change in our circumstances how we want them to. I believe He uses it, but I don't believe He sends it to harm but to solidify our trust in Him.

I sure do not like or enjoy it at the time...it is only ( maybe weeks) later that I can see what He did IN me, through it.

I can talk myself into circles here for sure ... :D

Sorry, gotta run...
My mother in law had suffered a stroke, it was reasonably bad. My wife was comforting her, that if she died she would be in heaven with Karen, her daughter that had died about 7 years earlier.

To which my MIL, Carol, cried out in anguish, "Karen's DEAD???!!!" And it hit her. Karen was dead!

Carol had never stopped mourning her daughter, every day brought a darkness with it to her. She could never set it aside, never let go.

Then the stroke hit. And now she was in fresh grief, watching her pain was almost unbearable, and I Could Not Understand how this was not cruel, to just have her relive her daughter's death like that!

It took about 3 days of heavy prayer and Bible reading to get my mind back on track, this was maybe the greatest challenge to my faith I've had. Let there not be greater!

But over time, the wisdom was known. Because after 7 years of daily pain and loss, and so long as we were careful not to mention Karen, Carol was finally at peace, at least on that level. Not on others, as the ended up with Vascular Dementia, a rather random way to go.

Much love!

Reactions: Helen

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some threads which 'seem' to be the same , often develop very differently.

I wouldn't abandon one for the other.

I believe that it not 'how' we pray , ie words... "take these boils away" OR "Lord change me via this experience"

It's the prayer of faith which wins the day...we know that.
And Faith comes by hearing...so I believe strongly that when we get quiet enough before God the Holy Spirit takes over and leads us how to pray and what to pray. Then it is God doing it not us, and He will get His own prayer answered.

."

"then panic prayers are always at hand ...mine is- " O Lord, O Lord O Lord....I have no words..just hold me. " :)"

Good post Helen,
Your panic prayers kind of remind me of the story of Watchman Nee and speaking "Oh God" over and over for 24 hours on his knees! ♥

Reactions: marks and Helen

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
As Helen and Nancy know I've been praying for my son's ex. A week ago I came across this verse:
Many are the plans in a person’s heart,
but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.
Proverbs 19:21
And I believe that God is telling me that whatever plans she may have to make my family suffer God knows about them his purpose will prevail.

This was confirmed in my mind when the same verse came up again somewhere else last Saturday after I had already memorised it.

Being able to pray according to something god has shown us, either in scripture or in some other way is good because then we know we are praying in accordance with his will.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As Helen and Nancy know I've been praying for my son's ex. A week ago I came across this verse:
Many are the plans in a person’s heart,
but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.
Proverbs 19:21
And I believe that God is telling me that whatever plans she may have to make my family suffer God knows about them his purpose will prevail.

This was confirmed in my mind when the same verse came up again somewhere else last Saturday after I had already memorised it.

Being able to pray according to something god has shown us, either in scripture or in some other way is good because then we know we are praying in accordance with his will.

"because then we know we are praying in accordance with his will."
And...to me anyhow...this brings on that "Peace that surpasses all understanding" ♥ Good post Pat.
xo
P.S.
Since we know Gods will is that none should perish...we CAN KNOW that He is surely softening her heart and hopefully...she will choose Life ♥

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Pearl @Nancy

Pat we do know the promise in James 5 , and it comforts me often-
"The fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. "

I notice it doesn't say ...gets answered every time...but it does say that it avails much!!
I think that is what Elijah did as he prayed for rain. And kept at it until his servant saw a- 'cloud the size of a mans hand' .

Then faith took over ...he told King Ahab to drive his chariot and get back to his palace say- " I hear the sound of an abundance of rain"
Thats faith, blue sky and a tiny cloud , yet he knew his prayer answer was on its way...he had "prayed through".

Do you remember way back in the 70-80's we used to say that.
"Pray through until you know the answer is on the way...then don't pray any more, but start praising for the answer that is coming. "

We don't talk about 'praying through' any more. I don't hear it anyway.

Also we have that picture in 2 Kings 13 where Elisha is dying and says to the King..." Take the arrows and strike the ground...." but the King only struck the ground three times and stopped. Elisha was cross and said ...' if you had persisted beyond 3 times you would have beaten the enemy, now you wont.'
Showing us the persistent fervent prayer wins the day. ( always along with thanksgiving )

As dear Dwayne used to say..."I can feel a glory shout coming on!!"
( Remember him Pat, on Mikes old site, he died at about 35 with his lung problem. Loved his praising spirit @amadeus did too. It amazed me that even when he couldn't breath properly under the anointing he still could sing wonderfully ...remember? He put up a video or him and his brother worshiping. ✟ )

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Pearl @Nancy

Pat we do know the promise in James 5 , and it comforts me often-
"The fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. "

I notice it doesn't say ...gets answered every time...but it does say that it avails much!!
I think that is what Elijah did as he prayed for rain. And kept at it until his servant saw a- 'cloud the size of a mans hand' .

Then faith took over ...he told King Ahab to drive his chariot and get back to his palace say- " I hear the sound of an abundance of rain"
Thats faith, blue sky and a tiny cloud , yet he knew his prayer answer was on its way...he had "prayed through".

Do you remember way back in the 70-80's we used to say that.
"Pray through until you know the answer is on the way...then don't pray any more, but start praising for the answer that is coming. "

We don't talk about 'praying through' any more. I don't hear it anyway.

Also we have that picture in 2 Kings 13 where Elisha is dying and says to the King..." Take the arrows and strike the ground...." but the King only struck the ground three times and stopped. Elisha was cross and said ...' if you had persisted beyond 3 times you would have beaten the enemy, now you wont.'
Showing us the persistent fervent prayer wins the day. ( always along with thanksgiving )

As dear Dwayne used to say..."I can feel a glory shout coming on!!"
( Remember him Pat, on Mikes old site, he died at about 35 with his lung problem. Loved his praising spirit @amadeus did too. It amazed me that even when he couldn't breath properly under the anointing he still could sing wonderfully ...remember? He put up a video or him and his brother worshiping. ✟ )

"Pray through until you know the answer is on the way...then don't pray any more, but start praising for the answer that is coming."
Spot on Helen!
He answered ALL prayers! This is how I have learned to pray, thanking Him for the prayers already prayed, and know His will be done! When not certain of His permissive will, I simply trust Him...even if He say's "NO"! Because, His ways...His thoughts... ♥
So, I suppose that is "praying through"?
xo

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
My mother in law had suffered a stroke, it was reasonably bad. My wife was comforting her, that if she died she would be in heaven with Karen, her daughter that had died about 7 years earlier.

To which my MIL, Carol, cried out in anguish, "Karen's DEAD???!!!" And it hit her. Karen was dead!

Carol had never stopped mourning her daughter, every day brought a darkness with it to her. She could never set it aside, never let go.

Then the stroke hit. And now she was in fresh grief, watching her pain was almost unbearable, and I Could Not Understand how this was not cruel, to just have her relive her daughter's death like that!

It took about 3 days of heavy prayer and Bible reading to get my mind back on track, this was maybe the greatest challenge to my faith I've had. Let there not be greater!

But over time, the wisdom was known. Because after 7 years of daily pain and loss, and so long as we were careful not to mention Karen, Carol was finally at peace, at least on that level. Not on others, as the ended up with Vascular Dementia, a rather random way to go.

Much love!

Sad story. :(

I find it insulting to us when these people live are a blessing throughout life, them humbled at the end by sickness.

I visited an old friend yesterday...so sad , she was such a strength and blessing in life and testified of the Lord powerfully...now she can hardly walk, her mind is not bad , but she has forgets many word... ( like with the milk, she said to me..." put the music back in the fridge for me ")
...and the elevator she called an oliver.

Yet thank God ...what we see as spoiling our life , God sees as a "light
affliction"!!!! This is the verse the Lord gave me when I moaned at Him, when my dad was dying by inches...( I kept him here at home )
2 Cor 4:17
" For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory"

It didn't look or sound light to me...but God sees it as it is ...a small dash of time. ( 1908 - 1998 ) We so often "look beyond" when we go through stuff.

It says of Jesus ;- "Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God."

We have to remember to "look beyond"...to the sitting down in the kingdom.
( "I have prepared a place for you.." )

Some people don't like old hymns...but I do like the old ones...
"It will be worth it all, when we see Jesus..."
Wow , that old one 'raptures me'. :)

Sometime Mark it is neither God or the Devil... its not always God or the Devil. Sometimes it just is.

Sit by a draughty window, = get a neck ache.
Not God , not the Devil.

When my old dad got boils he would always go to the brewery that he passed in London, on the way home from work ...and he's buy half a pound of brewers yeast. And take it by the spoonful !!! horrid stuff.
But it did the trick. Thankfully it is sold in capsule form these days :D

Here is a link...many bodily complaints we have are due to being low in some vitamin or mineral....reoccurring boils are included in this list as a deficiency of brewers yeast. ( B vitamins)

Brewer's Yeast: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Dosage, and Warning

God bless you brother....praying with you as you pray...✟

Reactions: marks

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
PS to the one I just posted.

All of you...feed all this back to me when it is me who is having a "wintery time" of testing. Okay ?

Times and seasons....we all have them..."but just for a moment"..

His "moment" is just not the same as ours!!!! :D

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
PS to the one I just posted.

All of you...feed all this back to me when it is me who is having a "wintery time" of testing. Okay ?

Times and seasons....we all have them..."but just for a moment"..

His "moment" is just not the same as ours!!!! :D

"All of you...feed all this back to me when it is me who is having a "wintery time" of testing. Okay ?"
Lol Helen...I got yer back! :D

Reactions: marks and Helen

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@ByGrace , turns out it was insect bites. Must have been in my bedroom for several days, biting me as I slept, a lot!

Yuck!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@ByGrace , turns out it was insect bites. Must have been in my bedroom for several days, biting me as I slept, a lot!

Yuck!

Up here in the north we don't get creepy crawlies like you guys....the temps of 40 BELOW kills many off.. :D
( but its just that mosquitos can live through it , ...until spring) :(

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Which segues back to my thought in this thread. I can pray for things, or a can pray for greater trust regarding those things. If I'm completely trusting God for my provision, do I then go on to ask Him for my provision? Or is it if I'm thinking I won't be provided for, I should pray that God would increase my faith?

I'm not saying yes or no, just thinking about this question.

Much love!