How to explain Forgiveness in Christ ends negative behavior?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Emily Nghiem

Jun 16, 2021
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Someone asked why do Christians believe
they can keep sinning and still be forgiven and go to Heaven.

Below is my first attempt to reply and explain the difference Forgiveness makes
in ending this behavior and breaking the cycle of repeating the past.

Can you please help explain more clearly?

Thanks!

=======

["mindfulzen"]
Of course not, it clearly says NO. So, why do people who call themselves christian and pray for forgiveness, for since they intend to repeat thousand times more? Why do they not wait with the praying till they stop sinning? Almost like they are dying to be cast to hell. If there are any christians here, it would be interesting to hear your resoning for it one way or the other.
=======
Dear [mindfulzen]
A. For the people who still intend to do wrong, they are not fully forgiving some thing in their past that compels them to "compensate" by coveting ways of doing things in these wrong ways.
That is my experience when I deal with people still projecting issues again and again in the future.
Not forgiving the past causes them to react and rebel by fixing the debt or damage "they feel they are still owed" by justifying cheating or gaming the system to get what they think they deserve.

B. In contrast, when people understand forgiveness and clear their conscience to get in line with God's higher ideals, this means no longer getting motivation to do things in underhanded ways. It only causes more problems that way. It is more sustainable, consistent and rewarding to do things the right way.

So given your negative scenario, this applies more to people without faith in forgiveness correction and justice.

The people of faithful Christian beliefs seek to break out of such negative patterns of repeat sins and wrongs.

The more we forgive, the more we break free from this kind of negative hypocrisy you describe.

So the reason this makes no sense to you is it contradicts the whole purpose and teaching in Christianity which is the opposite of what you complain of: instead of rebelling and sinning out of denial and refusal to forgive and correct past patterns, the real faith and practice is to develop and restore conviction to AVOID the problems which you state.

You actually did a good job explaining why people NEED forgiveness and strength NOT to fall into this trap.

The hardest part is understanding how and why Forgiveness is necessary to the process.

It is almost easier to understand in hindsight.

That is why people ask questions like you do about how does any of this change anything.

Until you experience the difference Forgiveness makes in changing how people think and act toward others, it is hard to explain. You pretty much described how people act before going through spiritual change.

Before vs After is like Night and Day.
But some people go through intense change faster, while others go through a slower long drawn out process that is more gradual.
Everyone is different. But the common stages I notice when I talk and compare experiences with others is that forgiving the past people or events that hurt us means changing negative perceptions to positive, and healing and becoming more focused, effective and peaceful in doing the right things to make life better and restore healthy mindsets and relations.

Reactions: dev553344

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Someone asked why do Christians believe
they can keep sinning and still be forgiven and go to Heaven.

Below is my first attempt to reply and explain the difference Forgiveness makes
in ending this behavior and breaking the cycle of repeating the past.

Can you please help explain more clearly?

Thanks!

=======

["mindfulzen"]
Of course not, it clearly says NO. So, why do people who call themselves christian and pray for forgiveness, for since they intend to repeat thousand times more? Why do they not wait with the praying till they stop sinning? Almost like they are dying to be cast to hell. If there are any christians here, it would be interesting to hear your resoning for it one way or the other.
=======
Dear [mindfulzen]
A. For the people who still intend to do wrong, they are not fully forgiving some thing in their past that compels them to "compensate" by coveting ways of doing things in these wrong ways.
That is my experience when I deal with people still projecting issues again and again in the future.
Not forgiving the past causes them to react and rebel by fixing the debt or damage "they feel they are still owed" by justifying cheating or gaming the system to get what they think they deserve.

B. In contrast, when people understand forgiveness and clear their conscience to get in line with God's higher ideals, this means no longer getting motivation to do things in underhanded ways. It only causes more problems that way. It is more sustainable, consistent and rewarding to do things the right way.

So given your negative scenario, this applies more to people without faith in forgiveness correction and justice.

The people of faithful Christian beliefs seek to break out of such negative patterns of repeat sins and wrongs.

The more we forgive, the more we break free from this kind of negative hypocrisy you describe.

So the reason this makes no sense to you is it contradicts the whole purpose and teaching in Christianity which is the opposite of what you complain of: instead of rebelling and sinning out of denial and refusal to forgive and correct past patterns, the real faith and practice is to develop and restore conviction to AVOID the problems which you state.

You actually did a good job explaining why people NEED forgiveness and strength NOT to fall into this trap.

The hardest part is understanding how and why Forgiveness is necessary to the process.

It is almost easier to understand in hindsight.

That is why people ask questions like you do about how does any of this change anything.

Until you experience the difference Forgiveness makes in changing how people think and act toward others, it is hard to explain. You pretty much described how people act before going through spiritual change.

Before vs After is like Night and Day.
But some people go through intense change faster, while others go through a slower long drawn out process that is more gradual.
Everyone is different. But the common stages I notice when I talk and compare experiences with others is that forgiving the past people or events that hurt us means changing negative perceptions to positive, and healing and becoming more focused, effective and peaceful in doing the right things to make life better and restore healthy mindsets and relations.
Hi Ms. @Emily Nghiem John's First Epistle talks about the blessedness of walking in the light. Paul to the Romans at the beginning and at the end of the Epistle speaks of 'obedience to the faith'; 'the obedience of faith'.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like the story of the tax collector:

The Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector
9 To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’

13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”