How to interpret the scriptures

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

arunangelo

Aug 22, 2009
Omaha
surrendersacrifice.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is the word of God become flesh (John 1:14). In other words, in Jesus the scriptures became a reality. Therefore, to find the true meanings of the scriptures and have eternal life we must do what Jesus did (John 5:39).

Jesus preached the good news to the poor, healed the sick and brokenhearted and sacrificed his life so that those who betrayed him and were unfaithful to him may have eternal life (Luke 4:18 & Isaiah 61:1). He bore our affliction and oppression silently (Isaiah 53: 5 &7); healed and forgave sinners; and befriended Judas, although he knew that Juda would betray him. Furthermore, during his suffering and death he forgave his persecutors (Luke 23:34); was concerned about the suffering they would bring upon themselves by their sins rather than his own suffering (Luke 23:28). Through his chastisement he freed us from sin and put his spirit into our heart. We must, therefore, love one another as he has loved us (John 13:34-35); quietly bear each other’s burdens, forgive without any limit (Matt. 18:22); stay faithful to our marriage vows, even when there is betrayal and unfaithfulness; bind each other’s wounds; be a servant to others (John 13:14); and never condemn or give up on another human being.

Reactions: RepentantSinner

Mike Waters

Jan 8, 2020
Holt
slideshowart2.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure that I should bother myself with the 'interpretation' of scripture.
To me, when God 'speaks' into the "fleshy tables of my heart", that constitutes 'The Word of God', and it happens when I sing a hymn, read a newspaper, listen to a sermon, spend time in quiet reflection, read the Bible, meet someone in daily contact, etc., etc.
It's the work bestowed upon the Holy Spirit at the moment of Christ returning to His Father's side (his 'glorification').

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This would seem on the right track:

Jesus is the word of God become flesh (John 1:14). In other words, in Jesus the scriptures became a reality. Therefore, to find the true meanings of the scriptures and have eternal life we must do what Jesus did (John 5:39).

But its simply, Jesus is the interpretation, because He is the fulfillment of God’s will in man.

Jesus preached the good news to the poor, healed the sick and brokenhearted and sacrificed his life so that those who betrayed him and were unfaithful to him may have eternal life (Luke 4:18 & Isaiah 61:1).

Thing is you say Jesus is the true meaning then why have you modified the meaning by saying those who betrayed Him or were unfaithful, when there is no metion of betrayers or unfaithful in those versus and it is the faithful the Lord will save?

Rev_17:14 These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.

He bore our affliction and oppression silently (Isaiah 53: 5 &7); healed and forgave sinners; and befriended Judas, although he knew that Juda would betray him. Furthermore, during his suffering and death he forgave his persecutors (Luke 23:34); was concerned about the suffering they would bring upon themselves by their sins rather than his own suffering (Luke 23:28).

The Lord did forgive the world, but that doesn’t mean He has saved the world. One can forgive a transgression but that doesn’t mean one has to enjoy the company or presence of the forgiven party. there is no indication or reference in scripture that the unfaithful shall enjoy being in the Presence of God or that God will enjoy their presence with Him.

also in your reference to Luke:
Luk 23:28 But Jesus turning unto them said, Daughters of Jerusalem, weep not for me, but weep for yourselves, and for your children.
Luk 23:29 For, behold, the days are coming, in the which they shall say, Blessed are the barren, and the wombs that never bare, and the paps which never gave suck.
Luk 23:30 Then shall they begin to say to the mountains, Fall on us; and to the hills, Cover us.
Luk 23:31 For if they do these things in a green tree, what shall be done in the dry?

The people He was talking to had reason to despair though they didn’t know it because within 40 years after He said this to the Jews hearing Him at the cross the Romans decimated the place and Israel was basically destroyed via the temple’s destruction. Again, you interpret and add to the text what the text doesn’t say. Therefore how can you be correct about what the scriptures say.

Through his chastisement he freed us from sin and put his spirit into our heart. We must, therefore, love one another as he has loved us (John 13:34-35); quietly bear each other’s burdens, forgive without any limit (Matt. 18:22); stay faithful to our marriage vows, even when there is betrayal and unfaithfulness; bind each other’s wounds; be a servant to others (John 13:14); and never condemn or give up on another human being.

Though one is not the judge of another’s soul, only God. therefore we should respect that, but don’t cast your perils before swine is also wise. If you live with false expectations of your fellow man you will live a life of despair and disappointment. Human nature never changes.

Reactions: Nancy

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus preached the good news to the poor, healed the sick and brokenhearted and sacrificed his life so that those who betrayed him and were unfaithful to him may have eternal life (Luke 4:18 & Isaiah 61:1). He bore our affliction and oppression silently (Isaiah 53: 5 &7); healed and forgave sinners; and befriended Judas, although he knew that Juda would betray him. Furthermore, during his suffering and death he forgave his persecutors (Luke 23:34); was concerned about the suffering they would bring upon themselves by their sins rather than his own suffering (Luke 23:28). Through his chastisement he freed us from sin and put his spirit into our heart. We must, therefore, love one another as he has loved us (John 13:34-35); quietly bear each other’s burdens, forgive without any limit (Matt. 18:22); stay faithful to our marriage vows, even when there is betrayal and unfaithfulness; bind each other’s wounds; be a servant to others (John 13:14); and never condemn or give up on another human being.
Your Original Post title doesn't exactly match up with your opening post and description.

As for interpretation, they are not to be of men, but of God by His gifts of the spirit given to men. His words are spirit. The scriptures are not a literary work, and thus must be spiritually discerned.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not sure that I should bother myself with the 'interpretation' of scripture.
To me, when God 'speaks' into the "fleshy tables of my heart", that constitutes 'The Word of God', and it happens when I sing a hymn, read a newspaper, listen to a sermon, spend time in quiet reflection, read the Bible, meet someone in daily contact, etc., etc.
It's the work bestowed upon the Holy Spirit at the moment of Christ returning to His Father's side (his 'glorification').
Hello old friend! Haven't seen or heard from you in a long time. Hopefully all is well!

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

Mike Waters

Jan 8, 2020
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Your Original Post title doesn't exactly match up with your opening post and description.

As for interpretation, they are not to be of men, but of God by His gifts of the spirit given to men. His words are spirit. The scriptures are not a literary work, and thus must be spiritually discerned.
I don't quite understand.
What you have 'quoted' doesn't seem to tie in with anything that I have posted.
Probably it's just me being an 85 year old 'dumbo'
God bless.....Mike

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ditto back to you dear friend. At 85 there's not much left of the 'old man', but hopefully the 'new man' has grown in parallel.

Hello Mike...long time ...how are you ..?

You already had a profile on here many moons ago.
I did too, but I lost my password so I had start over in 2011.

Pat, Rita , Kerry are here too ...not under those names...

Good to see you. :)

Mike Waters

Jan 8, 2020
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Mike...long time ...how are you ..?

You already had a profile on here many moons ago.
I did too, but I lost my password so I had start over in 2011.

Pat, Rita , Kerry are here too ...not under those names...

Good to see you. :)
Me too to you.
Pat invited me here.
But I too thought I was already here under at least two different user names (Way of the Spirit??) but I can't find any previous.
I've guessed at which is Pat and Rita, but who now is Kerry.
There's also a Catholic member who reckons he's constantly correcting Protestant misrepresentations....can that be a less aggressive Terry O'Brian?
At 85, and growing more dumbo daily, it is proving difficult to understand this 'table', let alone get my feet under it.

Reactions: mjrhealth

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Me too to you.
Pat invited me here.
But I too thought I was already here under at least two different user names (Way of the Spirit??) but I can't find any previous.
I've guessed at which is Pat and Rita, but who now is Kerry.
There's also a Catholic member who reckons he's constantly correcting Protestant misrepresentations....can that be a less aggressive Terry O'Brian?
At 85, and growing more dumbo daily, it is proving difficult to understand this 'table', let alone get my feet under it.

There were already 'Kerry's' taken on here I think..so Kerry is 'Giuliano'.
He's not on a lot, but usual once a day he'll drop a post or too.
No, I don't think Bread Of Life is Terry /Catholic crusader... Amadeus and would recognize Terry. So would Kerry.

Coming Frener came on here for a little while , but hasn't been back for a month or so ... Patrick was on here for a while...but he was life threateningly sick...so we don't know if he is still with us or not.
So you are a year older than Neil. He is amazing and still plays Badminton and goes for long walks for miles over clips and dales...
Surely your little old dog is still not with you?

Night night ...H

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@arunangelo

Whoops, sorry for hijacking your thread for a few posts...just bumped into an old long standing friend of a couple of decades. I got somewhat carried away...I could have just PM'd him..

Sorry :oops:

Back to Topic.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't quite understand.
What you have 'quoted' doesn't seem to tie in with anything that I have posted.
Probably it's just me being an 85 year old 'dumbo'
God bless.....Mike
I was quoting arunangelo.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

An interesting comment Mike. Because of our/the church's penchant to ignore the ministry of the Holy Spirit as in we have to plan everything to our satisfaction, there are large areas of life that we miss out on entirely.

We can read the scriptures but that does not mean we understand what it means for us. Having said that it is important to read the scriptures all the time. You have clearly pointed out that the Holy Spirit can give us revelation from all sorts of sources as in a conversation with another person.
They may say something and lo and behold, they uncover the meaning of the scripture you read for you.

I have made it a habit to listen anytime, doing anything, anywhere to give the Holy Spirit access to my mind and spirit. What is it the scripture says "Romans 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God."

Never having had an earthly father I do like being a son.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Having said that it is important to read the scriptures all the tim
It is most important to be in the hone who is the Word of God all the time,

If we abide in Him He will abide in us, there is no life in the bible our life is In Him.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ditto back to you dear friend. At 85 there's not much left of the 'old man', but hopefully the 'new man' has grown in parallel.
Well compared to you I'm only a youngster at 76. The good thing is that there is the 'new man', the one who may never die.