How to pray? mouth or heart?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
is this by mouth or heart?
according to what i know written heart is equal to mind/brain because i always pray in my head because i am shy but straightforward i might be doing the wrong thing so i am asking

also
5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

9 After this manner therefore pray ye:
Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

11 Give us this day our daily bread.

12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
is my first interpretation correct? after i pray i would then add our father which are in heaven....

or is my 2nd interpretation correct? after this manner after i shut the door of my room i would pray the our father prayer every time which is repetitive

or is my 3rd interpretation correct? after this manner after shutting the door of my room i would pray to the father God which is the father of christ God in heaven and then testifying the truth then asking for daily needs followed by asking for forgiveness as we forgive others then asking for protection against evil followed by praises followed by in the name of jesus the christ(for modern times) last is amen

am i correct?

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello @Funny bird

My interpretation of it, is go into your room, shut your door, and pray in the silence, prayer does not need repetition, pray and believe, practice the pause, practice the silence in God's presence. You can pray quietly with your mouth or you can pray in your heart, God also hears the prayers of our heart. You can also pray softly by whispering if you wanted, God will hear.

If you do not know what to pray, if you have the gift, you can also pray in tongues, and the Holy Spirit will intercede, on what you do not know to pray. Stuff will happen when we pray in tongues, we may not know, but for all you know someone else on the other side of the world could be getting healed, delivered or saved, or something may happen in the supernatural realms, obstacles could be getting broken as a result. It's powerful stuff praying in the Holy Spirit. :D

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Funny bird I would say BOTH.
Don’t sweat it. God can hear the heart , God can hear the whisper...God can hear the normal voice.
There is no Right or Wrong.

God just wants you to want to talk to Him.
Fathers love to hear their children talk to them.
Fellowship.

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
according to what i know written heart is equal to mind/brain because i always pray in my head because i am shy but straightforward i might be doing the wrong thing so i am asking

also
is my first interpretation correct? after i pray i would then add our father which are in heaven....

or is my 2nd interpretation correct? after this manner after i shut the door of my room i would pray the our father prayer every time which is repetitive

or is my 3rd interpretation correct? after this manner after shutting the door of my room i would pray to the father God which is the father of christ God in heaven and then testifying the truth then asking for daily needs followed by asking for forgiveness as we forgive others then asking for protection against evil followed by praises followed by in the name of jesus the christ(for modern times) last is amen

am i correct?
When I pray I just walk along with my hands in my pockets just having fellowship with my Father in heaven, chatting about what is in my heart at that particular time. I am not formalised in my prayers because if I was, the Lord would say to me, "Why on earth are you talking to me like you are talking to the pope who lived in the 1600s?"

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
or you can pray in your heart
but my problem is my heart is filled with evil things there is something there that i can't control coming out of my heart but not my mouth

so i can't speak with my heart because my heart is corrupted? but i want to speak with my heart because i do not want my speech be heard by anyone thru my mouth but my heart is corrupted God might be disgusted and instead of staying he go away because of this uncontrollable wickedness that is shouting in my heart

to be precise i am shy i do not want anyone to know what i was telling to God people might hear if i speak with my mouth even in a very low voice i'm not really sure i am so insecure

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
you can also pray in tongues,
what language is that... the language of heaven... but when you speak in that kind of lang do you know what you are talking about?

they said in a verse in the bible you should shut up when speaking in a lang in the church if you do not know what you are talking about and if there's no interpreter you should just speak to yourself or speak to God
I don't pray much.
i also don't pray much because of guilt i seem in need to be ready first before praying to God else i won't pray at all i prayed last night after 2 weeks of not praying not sure if that counts because i prayed in my heart thinking that song is indeed real we only pray to God when we people needed him and put him aside when we don't need him i feel so guilty right now that night i was feeling pain in my physical body now it's gone
God can hear the heart
now i feel so depress what to do now?
God just wants you to want to talk to Him.
can i also talk to him with my corrupted heart?

i.e it says kill
i then reply no kill
it says kill
i then reply no kill
it says kill
i then reply no kill
it says kill
i then reply no kill
it says kill
i then reply no kill
over and over again i'm going crazy because of this i also forget the real name of God because of possible blaspheme

why is it that i can't control?? it just comes out? out of nowhere it just there in my mind then i punch it and it punch back i used to smack my physical head because it was too much i am going crazy because of these crazy thoughts but then i get dizzy and it hurts so i stopped lol
Why on earth are you talking to me like you are talking to the pope who lived in the 1600s?
roflmao

when i pray i don't talk to my father in heaven because of guilt i pray to God in the name of christ

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what language is that... the language of heaven... but when you speak in that kind of lang do you know what you are talking about?

they said in a verse in the bible you should shut up when speaking in a lang in the church if you do not know what you are talking about and if there's no interpreter you should just speak to yourself or speak to God

i also don't pray much because of guilt i seem in need to be ready first before praying to God else i won't pray at all i prayed last night after 2 weeks of not praying not sure if that counts because i prayed in my heart thinking that song is indeed real we only pray to God when we people needed him and put him aside when we don't need him i feel so guilty right now that night i was feeling pain in my physical body now it's gone

i.e it says kill
i then reply no kill
it says kill
i then reply no kill
it says kill
i then reply no kill
it says kill
i then reply no kill
it says kill
i then reply no kill
over and over again i'm going crazy because of this i also forget the real name of God because of possible blaspheme

why is it that i can't control?? it just comes out? out of nowhere it just there in my mind then i punch it and it punch back i used to smack my physical head because it was too much i am going crazy because of these crazy thoughts but then i get dizzy and it hurts so i stopped lol

roflmao

when i pray i don't talk to my father in heaven because of guilt i pray to God in the name of christ
So do you think you have a demon in you?

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

For the part for where it says for one to should remain quiet if there is no interpretation, is for when you are in a Christian gathering or Church gathering.

I have not had the gift of interpretation, or it has not been activated yet, but I know when I pray in the spirit, the Holy Spirit knows what is being prayed, it is great for when you do not know what to pray or can not find the right words to pray.

1 Corinthians 14:2 and 14-15

2 For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit.

14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful. 15 What am I to do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will pray with my mind also I will sing praise with my spirit, but I will sing with my mind also.

Someone else will be able to explain it better to you.

but my problem is my heart is filled with evil things there is something there that i can't control coming out of my heart but not my mouth

The heart, I am not sure whether if it's your heart or your head, all I can do is pray for you that God will remove those corrupted thoughts from you. But I want you to know God wants you well.

Last edited:

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

also

am i correct?
Hi @Funny bird ...the Bible says out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks
When you pray it should be from your heart and sincere, always repent of any sin, and let God know what's on your heart and mind.
(He actually already knows but requires that we speak it)

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
For the part for where it says for one to should remain quiet if there is no interpretation, is for when you are in a Christian gathering or Church gathering.
exactly
I have not had the gift of interpretation, or it has not been activated yet, but I know when I pray in the spirit, the Holy Spirit knows what is being prayed, it is great for when you do not know what to pray or can not find the right words to pray.
you are saying you do not know what came out of your own mouth but the holy spirit guide you and tells it to you what it means?
it feels ridiculous for someone like me i don't think i have the same gift of tongues
For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit.
kjv 1611
2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

is it really speak in a tongue or unknown tongue...
anyway i agree since it was written as long as it is i will agree amen
Someone else will be able to explain it better to you.
it's okay i avoid doctrines of other church that might mislead me it's better like this being raw came straight from the holy book
The heart, I am not sure whether if it's your heart or your head
according to what i know that is written the mind is the heart that's why i just follow and say it is my heart but talking mind not really the heart

according to what i know was written mind is equal to heart the mind is still called heart

Reactions: amadeus

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
the Bible says out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks
When you pray it should be from your heart and sincere
i found this funny just like my name lol as far as i can remember i think i created a thread about sincerety but they told me sincerety does not matters what matters (which makes me do not want to believe) is honesty

honesty not sincerety that's what they said...
if i'll be honest but no sincerety then will i only be speaking of my own selfish desire....

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
He actually already knows but requires that we speak it)
yeah he does

so the saying that God is in control... lies?
i think we are the one who holds the remote because God is perfect and he do everything he said asked and it shall be given if we don't ask will it still be given...

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

i.e it says kill
i then reply no kill
it says kill
i then reply no kill
it says kill
i then reply no kill
it says kill
i then reply no kill
it says kill
i then reply no kill

roflmao

Your guilt should make you run to Christ instead of running away from Him.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
@Funny bird you are over thinking prayer. When you pray and you can't do that around people, go for a walk or go to a quiet place and close the door. Be honest with God and tell him you are having trouble praying because other voices are crowding him out. Ask him to silence the voices in Jesus mighty name and then ask him to help you to pray with a sound and a clear mind.

It takes practice but those voices will soon fade away. If you need to forgive anyone, God will give you names and situations, then forgive them and God will heal you. Prayer is a relationship with God. It's just you and him and you are coming to him like he is in the same room with you and you are talking about things on your heart.

[Don't ever think that he cannot read or understand your heart or where your struggle first entered, because he knows already and btw: he loves you and he will always love you no matter how bad you think you are...the enemy is a liar.]

Your relationship will grow with God and you will begin to hear in return and you will begin to get revelation and understanding and you will begin to walk with confidence daily because you can sense his presence and his power in your life.

Start from the beginning, come before him and pray. Praying is no different to talking with a friend......and that he is, our best friend xox

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
[Don't ever think that he cannot read or understand your heart or where your struggle first entered, because he knows already and btw: he loves you and he will always love you no matter how bad you think you are...the enemy is a liar.]
i feel like God is looking down on me just like how he loves abel and push cain... here is my beloved son while you are no one you are not my son... (i thought just now➛)you are the son of the devil because you love sin right?

i feel that they are happy and complete and here i am a trash they don't need me i am jealous

as far as i can remember christ said "be jealous" i am jealous now but running away from light because i love sin

i always turn a blind eye on light on God in order for me to continue sinning because i cannot sin with him here
Start from the beginning, come before him and pray. Praying is no different to talking with a friend......and that he is, our best friend xox
with my sin can i still do this?

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
i feel like God is looking down on me just like how he loves abel and push cain... here is my beloved son while you are no one you are not my son... (i thought just now➛)you are the son of the devil because you love sin right?

i feel that they are happy and complete and here i am a trash they don't need me i am jealous

as far as i can remember christ said "be jealous" i am jealous now but running away from light because i love sin

i always turn a blind eye on light on God in order for me to continue sinning because i cannot sin with him here

with my sin can i still do this?
You are looking at two people and associating yourself with these two but Jesus did not die for two people. He died for the world. John 3:16
If you know God and you know that sin separates you from God, why would you want to continue in sin? If you really want Jesus to be your Lord and Savior, you need to stop sinning.

Jesus did not shed his blood and die on the cross so that we can continue to sin. At the end of the day, that choice is yours.

If you choose to follow God, you need to repent of your sinful ways and ask Jesus to come into your life and be your Lord and Savior. No-one on earth has ever been sinless accept Jesus. That is why he is now our great high priest and intercedes on our behalf to the Father when we do sin 1 John 2. God loves you. He has not moved away from you, you have moved away from him and separated yourself because of your deliberate sinning. His word says Romans 5:20

The choice will always be yours but again, the devil is a liar. Take a look at Paul and where he came from originally. He persecuted the church and had some of Jesus followers killed. Yet he had became a staunch believer and follower of Christ and he was sent to the gentiles [like us today] The disciple of Jesus and Paul, turned the world upside down. You are not as far away as you think...

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
but i am running away
and the other reason is clear i love sin... i don't love God i don't love christ nor you right?

@Funny bird if you don't love God or Jesus or anyone....why are you here? why run toward the light when you appear to love the dark? I think you are needing help because of the turmoil in your soul..... I will be here if you need me. You can PM me if you want....