"HOW were people SAVED...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...In Other Dispensations?

The Dilemma​

Much theological debate has ensued in recent years in regard to the
discipleship/Lordship salvation issue. Those who stand for free Grace
nobly contend that faith in the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ
is the only requirement for salvation (1 Cor. 15:1-4).

They see clearly that works of righteousness, rituals, and law keeping has nothing
whatever to do with salvation in the present dispensation of Grace (Rom. 4:5;
Eph. 2:8-9). Now the question becomes, “Has this teaching always existed or is
this a unique provision for those under the present Grace?...

...Paul is the only Biblical writer who speaks of faith without works (or the law) for
salvation. (See Acts_13:38-39; Rom. 3:20-22; 3:24,28; 4:5; 6-8,16; 11:6;
Gal. 2:16; Eph. 2:8-9; Phil. 3:9; Titus_3:5).

What were some of the works that God once required for acceptance and salvation
before the dispensation of Grace began? (Eph. 3:1-9).

Animal sacrifices—Genesis_4:3-7; Hebrews_11:4; Exodus_12; 1 Corinthians_5:7.

Noah was commanded to build an Ark resulting in the saving of his house (family)
and causing him to become heir of the righteousness which is by faith—
Hebrews_11:7..." [etc, etc, etc...]

"...some would dispute that rituals or performances are really works...
"
(K Lawson)

FULL study:
How Were people Saved In Other Dispensations? (I)
How Were people Saved In Other Dispensations? (II)

WORK with Another name.png

GRACE And Peace...

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

The Dilemma​

They see clearly that works of righteousness, rituals, and law keeping has nothing

...Paul is the only Biblical writer who speaks of faith without works (or the law) for

Noah was commanded to build an Ark resulting in the saving of his house (family)

"
(K Lawson)

FULL study:

View attachment 24799

GRACE And Peace...
By God's grace through faith....it has never been otherwise.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Dilemma​

"
(K Lawson)

FULL study:

View attachment 24799

GRACE And Peace...

How are people saved today Grace? Jesus said those who do the will of Jehovah Mt 7:21

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"HOW were people SAVED...

The Dilemma

No dilemma at all.

Unless you have turned aside to Dispensational Theology.

All mankind still sleeping in the grave is saved be believing the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Those who lived and died before Christ (BC) this way:

“for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.” (1 Peter 4:6)

Those alive during and after Christ’s ministry (AD) this way:

“repent ye, and believe the gospel.” (Mark 1:15)

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
By God's grace through faith....it has never been otherwise.
The bottom line is that God is going to save whoever He wants to save, i.e. it's all by grace. Then the question becomes, "On what basis can I trust God to save my sorry arse?" (Note that I did not ask, "On what basis will God decide to save the aforementioned sorry arse?", because that is known only to God.)

If the answer is, "God showed you could trust Him by giving His only-begotten Son for you", then the follow-on question becomes, "What is my proper response to such love and grace?"

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The bottom line is that God is going to save whoever He wants to save, i.e. it's all by grace. Then the question becomes, "On what basis can I trust God to save my sorry arse?" (Note that I did not ask, "On what basis will God decide to save the aforementioned sorry arse?", because that is known only to God.)

If the answer is, "God showed you could trust Him by giving His only-begotten Son for you", then the follow-on question becomes, "What is my proper response to such love and grace?"
None of us on this planet chose to be born here with its woes. A downs syndrome child has no say in his/her condition neither has an alcohol syndrome child with addicted parents. In fact, none of us were consulted on whether the virus of sin and death was optional.......and God knows this and does not hold it against us just as we do not hold the drooling and excessive smiling along with other idiosyncrasies against downs syndrome folk.

Just as all where 'elected' in Adam so all are 'elected' in Jesus. God has destined the whole human race for greatness (salvation) Buddhist, Baptist and Jew They mightn't know it however it is our (those who have heard and believe the Good News) privilege to tell them. They mightn't believe it but that does not make it untrue. We might have our prejudices but God doesn't.

We were given life without our consent, however we can choose not to keep the life given us. We can terminate life either slowly or quickly but no-one can say they were not given life.

I have come to give life Jesus said and he gave it whether we like it or not; if we do not like it we can choose to terminate it......just as Judas did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lambano

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Redemption, Justification, Sanctification, and Salvation!

Redemption: 100 percent the work of God, thru the life, death, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus Christ! All mankind are redeemed in Christ! Eph 2
Galatians 2:16 3:13
Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law...
Christ alone accomplished the redemption of mankind apart from any works on our part!

(Redemption is not Salvation)
Rom 5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

Justification: our acceptance of redemption thru faith and baptism! Become a disciple and member of Christ and His Church! Jn 3:5 acts 2:38 Mk 16:16 He who believes and is baptized shall be saved. 1 Corinthians 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Sanctification: the life of grace in the holy sacrifice of the mass and sacraments, prayer, virture, and good works, the just living by faith, and faith working thru love! Phil 1:29 called to suffer with Christ.
All done in Christ thru His grace! Jn 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Salvation: a christian in the state if grace at the moment of death we enter into the salvation of the Lord! Mt 24:44-47 faithful servant! Jn 15:1-5 abide in me. Mt 24:13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
Heb 3:14 For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;
Heb 6:11 And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end:
Heb 4:14 For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;
Rom 13:11 ...for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.

Suffering required for glorification with Christ!

Romans 8:17
And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

2 Timothy 2:12
If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

Justification and salvation are not the same rom 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

Titus 2:14
Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, (redemption) and purify unto himself a peculiar people, (justification / baptism notice purify / wash) zealous of good works. (Sanctification) Matt 24:13 endures to the end Shall be saved.
(Salvation)