How Were YOU Taught To Overcome Sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Tong2020 said:
Interesting, can temptation be ignored?
Yes. God always supplies a way of escape. Resist the devil, and he will flee.
But my question is “can temptation be ignored”? Resisting is not the same as ignoring, right? How does one ignore temptation, if at all temptation can be ignored?

Tong
R3972

Reactions: Nancy and marks

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God hates sin and sent Jesus to take care of this problem. How were you taught you must do to overcome sin?

It’s a daily and constant conflict between the flesh and the spirit, after salvation, per Paul in many passages - we have to decide which wins, daily, and repent when we fail.

Paul says he has make the decision to subjugate his flesh daily, lest after preaching salvation to others, he end up a castaway:

1Co 9:27 But I keep under my body, and bring itinto subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a CASTAWAY.

The word castaway is also ADOKIMOS in the Greek - reprobate - castaway and rejected by God.

G96 (Strong)

ἀδόκιμος

adokimos

ad-ok'-ee-mos

From G1 (as a negative particle) and G1384; unapproved, that is, rejected; by implication worthless(literally or morally): - castaway, rejected, reprobate.

Total KJV occurrences: 8

Paul said he could end up a reprobate if he didn’t subjugate his flesh with its sinful desires, daily.

Albert Barnes exegetes the verse:

“The simple idea of Paul is, that he was afraid that he should be disapproved, rejected, cast off; that it would appear, after all, that he had no religion, and would then be cast away as unfit to enter into heaven”.

John Wesley also exegetes 1 Corinthians 9:27:

This single text may give us a just notion of the scriptural doctrine of election and reprobation; and clearly shows us, that particular persons are not in holy writ represented as elected absolutely and unconditionally to eternal life, or predestinated absolutely and unconditionally to eternal death; but that believers in general are elected to enjoy the Christian privileges on earth; which if they abuse, those very elect persons will become reprobate. St. Paul was certainly an elect person, if ever there was one; and yet he declares it was possible he himself might become a reprobate. Nay, he actually would have become such, if he had not thus kept his body under, even though he had been so long an elect person, a Christian, and an apostle.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God hates sin and sent Jesus to take care of this problem. How were you taught you must do to overcome sin?
Serve God and be filled with the Holy Spirit in deeds and testimony and sin will leave you. But yes we must also resist temptation when it comes. And it is wise not to sit into temptation by being idle to God's will.

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
It’s a daily and constant conflict between the flesh and the spirit, after salvation, per Paul in many passages - we have to decide which wins, daily, and repent when we fail.
I think the child of God does not decide daily which wins. He have already decided who wins (Good or evil) when he believed in God and in Jesus Christ.

If there is constant conflict between the flesh and the spirit, having decided to be on the side of good and God, he should constantly then work out to overcome evil and Satan. But not by his own, but should be with the Holy Spirit who dwells in him, who has the power and who gives him strength to overcome. The moment that he does it on his own, he most likely, if not surely, will fail.

Tong
R3974

Reactions: marks

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How is that? Are there scriptures you know where one could find an example of one ignoring temptation?

Tong
R3971

hi Tong -

Ignore was not really the proper point.
Ignore in context, means to turn your back to something.

Jesus' teaching...focuses on USING "POWER".

The TEMPATION, is a Tempters suggestion, to Entice you.
As BABES, we are taught to TURN your back, and Ignore.

The MATURE, "in and with" the Lord, are taught to USE the Power of the Lord WITH-IN them to COMMAND the "tempter" to GET BEHIND YOU.

* YOU do not see or consider or follow the one BEHIND you.
* YOU become the Commander with Gods Authority and Power, to deal with wicked Tempters of this world.

Luke 4:
[8] And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan...

Matt 16:
[23] But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan...

Glory to God,
Taken

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
hi Tong -

Ignore was not really the proper point.
Ignore in context, means to turn your back to something.

Jesus' teaching...focuses on USING "POWER".

The TEMPATION, is a Tempters suggestion, to Entice you.
As BABES, we are taught to TURN your back, and Ignore.

The MATURE, "in and with" the Lord, are taught to USE the Power of the Lord WITH-IN them to COMMAND the "tempter" to GET BEHIND YOU.

* YOU do not see or consider or follow the one BEHIND you.
* YOU become the Commander with Gods Authority and Power, to deal with wicked Tempters of this world.

Luke 4:
[8] And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan...

Matt 16:
[23] But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan...

Glory to God,
Taken
Okay. I was just thinking if there is such a thing as overcoming temptation by ignoring. And if there is, I became curious how that is.

Tong
R3976

Reactions: marks

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay. I was just thinking if there is such a thing as overcoming temptation by ignoring. And if there is, I became curious how that is.

Tong
R3976

Point is...
Ignoring is suitable for "babes"...not yet mature...not yet In Christ.
... its a method God used for Adam, young in knowledge...stay away from THAT tree.
... its a method we use on our children, young in knowledge...
stay away from;
the Street, the Fire, the Pool, the Edge, the Stairs, the Stove, the Medicine, the Gun, the Gangs, the Drugs, the Thieves ... etc.

As one matures in Knowledge...AND becomes IN Christ, the dynamics, CHANGE.
We no longer IGNORE, by staying away or turning OUR Backs...We give no consideration to what they SAY, but (with Gods Power) Command THEM with Authority;
to get behind us.

Glory to God,
Taken

07-07-07

Nov 18, 2018
Rust Belt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Prayer, fasting and living in the Word are the spiritual exercises required of believers; and these exercises lead one into walking after the Spirit and not the works of the flesh.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

By Yielding to the work of the Holy Ghost in us. The more you try to stop sinning of your own strength and will, the more you will either fail or briefly succeed only to be overcome by Spiritual sins such as pride and the religious spirit. It is through our weakness and yielding that the Holy Spirit can work in our lives. When we are broken and repent that is when He is able to do above all that we can ask or think, that we can Give him the glory, and not ourselves (Ephesians 3:20-21).

I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. (John 15:5)

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But my question is “can temptation be ignored”? Resisting is not the same as ignoring, right? How does one ignore temptation, if at all temptation can be ignored?

Tong
R3972

Oh, I see. It's not like you don't know its there, it just that you CHOOSE not to act on it. And most of all don't dwell on it. Think about something else. That's what we mean by ignore.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If I may,

What specific definition are you applying to the word "sin" and in what context?

I ask because that answer will serve to qualify what step(s) must be used to "overcome" it.

That's a very broad question and even broader answer.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I may,

What specific definition are you applying to the word "sin" and in what context?

I ask because that answer will serve to qualify what step(s) must be used to "overcome" it.

That's a very broad question and even broader answer.

I know and agree. I'm just curious what different people are taught.

Last edited: