Hubris?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[SIZE=medium]Dictionary definition of hubris : [/SIZE]excessive pride or self-confidence; arrogance.
[SIZE=medium]God calls this sin.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Is there a kind of pride which is not sin?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]The prophet Jeremiah spoke of such: [/SIZE]Thus says the Lord: "Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, let not the mighty man glory in his might, nor let the rich man glory in his riches; but let him who glories glory in this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the Lord, exercising lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth. For in these I delight,'' says the Lord. Jeremiah 9:23-24
[SIZE=medium]T[/SIZE]he Apostle Paul expanded on Jeremiah’s proclamation: For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, that no flesh should glory in His presence. But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God and righteousness and sanctification and redemption that, as it is written, "He who glories, let him glory in the Lord.'' 1 Corinthians 1:26-31
[SIZE=medium]Paul wrote the latter to the church in Corinth, a place where Morality and honor were in declension, yet the purpose of his exposition was not a simple rebuke, but to give that church and all church’s a legitimate expression for pride and to glory, not in the works of the flesh, nor in some perceived liberty to sin, but in being counted as worthy of life through faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, not upon any merit of our own, but through His grace and election, demonstrated in the love He revealed for us upon the cross. So our legitimate pride, our glory, is our Lord and Savior who alone has proven Himself worthy of glory and honor and blessing and praise for all eternity. Amen. [/SIZE]

Hashe

Mar 1, 2014
I suggest pride which puts others down is sin.
Pride in what God has done is not.
Is there something I'm missing?

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hashe said:
I suggest pride which puts others down is sin.
Pride in what God has done is not.
Is there something I'm missing?
Was Jesus demonstrating pride when He rebuked the Pharisees for making a show of religion? Was He showing pride when He called them sons of their father the devil? Was He showing pride when He proclaimed the depth of judgment against those towns in Galilee where He revealed Himself? You might be missing quite a bit. Pride is not about putting others down, but about lifting one's self up.
"Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:6-7

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
Michael V Pardo said:
Was Jesus demonstrating pride when He rebuked the Pharisees for making a show of religion? Was He showing pride when He called them sons of their father the devil? Was He showing pride when He proclaimed the depth of judgment against those towns in Galilee where He revealed Himself? You might be missing quite a bit. Pride is not about putting others down, but about lifting one's self up.
"Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:6-7
I agree with this assessment. People who exalt themselves do so in sheer ignorance that everything they have was given to them and that the God of heaven holds their very breath in his hand. (Daniel 5:23) Such pride is repugnant to the Almighty. I enjoyed reading your viewpoint on this.