Humility is absolutely necessary.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
8-19-19

Continued From: Close To Him: A person must begin with humility. Humility is absolutely necessary to receive God's love, but He would never pressure us to be humble. If today, you were forced to be humble, you would become a robot because you would no longer have a will of your own.

I think you will agree that it is not possible for a robot to enter a loving relationship. Receiving love from another is something we must will to do in our heart-we must put aside the love and concern we have for ourselves to make room for the love of another.
God's love is all around all the time-if we make room, He will surely come in.

You may ask: how can I control this ego of mine and humble myself so that I can receive God's love? In his classic book, The Imitation Of Christ, Thomas A. Kempis puts it like this: "Never desire to be singularly praised or loved; for this belongs to God alone, who has none like Himself.

Neither desire that anyone's heart should be taken up with you; nor be you much taken up with the love of anyone; but let Jesus be in you and in every good man or woman." That is the exact opposite of the desire of the ego. Genesis 3:4-5

The truth is: we were created in the likeness or image of God. We are to be a reflection of Him to be more and more like him. That is far different than being equal to Him.

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Continued From: Close To Him: A person must begin with humility. Humility is absolutely necessary to receive God's love, but He would never pressure us to be humble. If today, you were forced to be humble, you would become a robot because you would no longer have a will of your own.

I think you will agree that it is not possible for a robot to enter a loving relationship. Receiving love from another is something we must will to do in our heart-we must put aside the love and concern we have for ourselves to make room for the love of another.

You may ask: how can I control this ego of mine and humble myself so that I can receive God's love? In his classic book, The Imitation Of Christ, Thomas A. Kempis puts it like this: "Never desire to be singularly praised or loved; for this belongs to God alone, who has none like Himself.

Neither desire that anyone's heart should be taken up with you; nor be you much taken up with the love of anyone; but let Jesus be in you and in every good man or woman." That is the exact opposite of the desire of the ego. Genesis 3:4-5

The truth is: we were created in the likeness or image of God. We are to be a reflection of Him to be more and more like him. That is far different than being equal to Him.

Amen. Jesus came to show us the way. He humbled Himself in a very great way...to put up with us who get things backwards all the time. :)

So we are to conform to Christ. If our Master is so humble, who counted equality with God nothing to be held on to...how much more should we be humble?
If we desire eternal life then we should also desire divine humility without which is displeasure from God. Who wants to be eternally disappointing to God?

He gives grace to the humble.

So then so much of Christianity is backwards. Mankind doesn't know how to build God's way. Better to return to doing things His way. :)

Last edited:

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen. Jesus came to show us the way. He humbled Himself in a very great way...to put up with us who get things backwards all the time. :)

So we are to conform to Christ. If our Master is so humble, who counted equality with God nothing to be held on to...how much more should we be humble?
If desire eternal life we should also desire divine humility without which is displeasure from God. Who wants to be eternally disappointing to God?

He gives grace to the humble.

So then so much of Christianity is backwards. Mankind doesn't know how to build God's way. Better to return to doing things His way. :)
Amen, we sing the song of Amazing Grace, I once was lost, but now I'm found, and was blind but now I can see: but I find the way to follow his steps through the scriptures. :)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@firstthings1st.

Jesus was the perfect example of the following verse penned by Apostle Paul with regard to humility:

"Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves." Phil 2:2

We must always be moving away from selfishness and toward the selflessness expressed so perfectly in the life a Jesus as a man.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Amen

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@firstthings1st.

Jesus was the perfect example of the following verse penned by Apostle Paul with regard to humility:

"Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves." Phil 2:2

We must always be moving away from selfishness and toward the selflessness expressed so perfectly in the life a Jesus as a man.
Amen

Reactions: amadeus

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
8-19-19

Amen