Humility

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what is humility? What does a humble life look like? Are you a humble person?

Pisteuo

Jul 31, 2017
Ozarks
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol. Loaded question. If I say yes it proves I'm not humble. How can you be humble and say you're humble?
But I would've said no anyway.

This reminded me of an old song that probably not many have ever even heard....."it's hard to be humble when you're perfect in every way"...
Kind of a worldly song but makes me laugh.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you want to be humble (as we all should) first be humble to God.

There isn't a person on this board who would ever admit they aren't humble to God. Myself included. However, if you do not acknowledge truth about God, you aren't humbling yourself to God.

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If you want to be humble (as we all should) first be humble to God.

There isn't a person on this board who would ever admit they aren't humble to God. Myself included. However, if you do not acknowledge truth about God, you aren't humbling yourself to God.
Hi there. Well I will admit that I am not always humble before God or Jesus, but He has surely also corrected me many times over the years........... I thought I pestered Him with questions too much ( a lot of Christians told me that wasn't faith ) I also thought I asked Him for too much ( not material only )..... But He always took everything 'with a smile ' and tons of patience. These days I almost cringe when I think of how little regard I have had at times, when I suddenly find myself once again acting out of the mind of the flesh, but it doesn't pay to try and condemn oneself that is for certain.
Lord Jesus, help us receive the peace, Your Peace, which You left for/with us.......:)

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God has given me many gifts over the past couple of years - the gift of humiliation. A red flag for deep rooted pride is humiliation. Hopefully, I got the message because it resulted in much pain. God is good

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
God has given me many gifts over the past couple of years - the gift of humiliation. A red flag for deep rooted pride is humiliation. Hopefully, I got the message because it resulted in much pain. God is good

Don't they say, "No pain , no gain." :)
The pain of the 'walk of the cross' is sweet when it comes via God's own hand...most often through the brethren. It took me many years to learn that one. I used to hate correction, but finally realized that it was ugly pride that needed dealing with. I still don't "like" correction, but I have learned 'treasure it'...I needed breaking ..God is gentle and He wont lay on us more than we can take at any given time.
God bless...H

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I still don't "like" correction, but I have learned 'treasure it'.
Hi, me too, as long as it's the Lord doing it. I learned not to trust the people claiming that they knew what's what.....I'm not saying they're not out there, merely that I have not come across any......Sadly I saw people leaving a 'church' in tears , never to come back, as other believers tore into their lives......Not what we are appointed to, I'm sure !

Reactions: Pisteuo

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
being thankful to the Lord God for let one be in His creation even if He doesn't save one's soul. no one is entitled anything.

the thief on the cross that acknowledge Him, might be a good example.

Reactions: bbyrd009 and pia

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
;)
Hi, me too, as long as it's the Lord doing it. I learned not to trust the people claiming that they knew what's what.....I'm not saying they're not out there, merely that I have not come across any......Sadly I saw people leaving a 'church' in tears , never to come back, as other believers tore into their lives......Not what we are appointed to, I'm sure !

Agree...but I believe seasoned Christians know, by the " inner knower" what spirit is coming in opposition to them. I also had a number of people " dump on me" in anger...but I did not submit to that!! Ha!
When are person is correcting us in the right spirit...we can easily recognize that the Spirit of the Lord is teaching us something...if we have an ear to hear!
I am not yet broken or meek enough to accept correction which come via a wrong spirit...but a friend of our is.
He was once hanging wallpaper in a hotel with His men...and the manager came, screamed at him for not clearing up everything on the fourth floor ...he meekly went to the fourth floor by himself, cleared everything up ...into spick and span shape.
Told the manager it was done, then they went home.
But, he and his crew worked the first and second floors...a different contractor worked the third and forth floors!! It was not his job to clear up their mess.
I admit, I am not yet that meek or humble...I couldn't have resisted telling the manager that it had nothing to do with me!! So , I have a way to go yet...but, I am running out of road..I have more years behind me than ahead !!! ;)

Pisteuo

Jul 31, 2017
Ozarks
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
;)

Agree...but I believe seasoned Christians know, by the " inner knower" what spirit is coming in opposition to them. I also had a number of people " dump on me" in anger...but I did not submit to that!! Ha!
When are person is correcting us in the right spirit...we can easily recognize that the Spirit of the Lord is teaching us something...if we have an ear to hear!
I am not yet broken or meek enough to accept correction which come via a wrong spirit...but a friend of our is.
He was once hanging wallpaper in a hotel with His men...and the manager came, screamed at him for not clearing up everything on the fourth floor ...he meekly went to the fourth floor by himself, cleared everything up ...into spick and span shape.
Told the manager it was done, then they went home.
But, he and his crew worked the first and second floors...a different contractor worked the third and forth floors!! It was not his job to clear up their mess.
I admit, I am not yet that meek or humble...I couldn't have resisted telling the manager that it had nothing to do with me!! So , I have a way to go yet...but, I am running out of road..I have more years behind me than ahead !!! ;)
Love all the stories and testimonies you share. This "friend" of yours could sure teach some Christians I know some lessons. Including myself. Awesome.
I noticed that the sincere believer usually acknowledges that they have been found wanting when it comes to humility, imo. Possibly because the more knowledge and uderstanding we get, the harder it is to stay humble? I'm sure this is where wisdom comes in. I guess it beats being huaghty.
Peace

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Love all the stories and testimonies you share. This "friend" of yours could sure teach some Christians I know some lessons. Including myself. Awesome.
I noticed that the sincere believer usually acknowledges that they have been found wanting when it comes to humility, imo. Possibly because the more knowledge and uderstanding we get, the harder it is to stay humble? I'm sure this is where wisdom comes in. I guess it beats being huaghty.
Peace
That would be a great thread idea: the difference between knowledge, understanding and wisdom.

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
but I did not submit to that!! Ha!
Hi there......Good for you...I have perceived from your posts, that you indeed have wisdom quite a ways beyond mine and quite a few others on this forum. Wonderful ! I have always been too naive and trusting, and I still have a whole lot of trouble in that direction, but I am getting a little better, as He has taught me more on Love, which I discovered I actually knew very little, although I thought that I knew a lot about it lol. He is truly the most astonishing, intriguing, interesting person I have ever met, as well as loving, kind, patient, generous and far too much else to quickly list here. I am so grateful for you here as well as a couple of others, who doesn't get off on trying to 'shoot' down others all the time......Thank you :) Blessings always

Reactions: Helen

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Peace
Apologies if I am 'hijacking again' just wanted to quickly say, that just like in your case, as well as 'bygrace', 'mjrhealth' and a couple of others, I have always found it the way, that as I have been taught more and more, it has had the opposite effect on me......Because how on earth can I take credit for that, which has been taught to me by someone else ? The other thing is, that the more He has taught me, the more I have realized just how little I actually know and just how inadequate the teachings of the world actually is, whether it is from schools, universities, or indeed churches. I always call it my 'built in safety mechanism' from entering into pride. Praise His ever Holy name.......Peace and Blessings in Him Pia

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
being thankful to the Lord God for let one be in His creation even if He doesn't save one's soul. no one is entitled anything.

the thief on the cross that acknowledge Him, might be a good example.
could you expound here? The first bit is especially hard to assimilate, and i can't really equate it with the thief yet? ty