Humilty

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A good read from Western Journal,

The word “humility” (tapeinos in the Greek), which is found 11 times in the New Testament, means “low in spirit.” In Jesus’ Beatitudes, found at the beginning of the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5), the same Greek word is translated “poor in spirit.” Being meek or poor in spirit stands in biblical juxtaposition to the idea of self-sufficiency. Humility is the realization of one’s utter failure and doom apart from God’s intervention of grace — not only in an eventual, eternal sense, but also in the present.

More at the link, Drollinger: Becoming More Like the 12 - Are You Someone the Lord Can Use Mightily?

I thought this was a good description,

Humility is the realization of one’s utter failure and doom apart from God’s intervention of grace — not only in an eventual, eternal sense, but also in the present.

Much love!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I think that makes a lot of sense. We should all have this humility I think. I feel it often and hope to be saved some day. God has been good to me lately and I have felt Gods love. It has been wonderful. Especially for a sinner like me :)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaiah 66:1-2 KJV
1) Thus saith the LORD, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest?
2) For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.

If we understand what His Word says . . . how would we NOT tremble!!

Much love!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A good read from Western Journal,

The word “humility” (tapeinos in the Greek), which is found 11 times in the New Testament, means “low in spirit.” In Jesus’ Beatitudes, found at the beginning of the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5), the same Greek word is translated “poor in spirit.” Being meek or poor in spirit stands in biblical juxtaposition to the idea of self-sufficiency. Humility is the realization of one’s utter failure and doom apart from God’s intervention of grace — not only in an eventual, eternal sense, but also in the present.

More at the link, Drollinger: Becoming More Like the 12 - Are You Someone the Lord Can Use Mightily?

I thought this was a good description,

Humility is the realization of one’s utter failure and doom apart from God’s intervention of grace — not only in an eventual, eternal sense, but also in the present.

Much love!
Good article Marks.

"Public servants must always be striving to grow in humility, and when you think you’ve got it, you’ve lost it! "

Haha...you never "have it", you either are it or not.
:Bestest:

Reactions: dev553344 and marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaiah 57:13-16 KJV
13) When thou criest, let thy companies deliver thee; but the wind shall carry them all away; vanity shall take them: but he that putteth his trust in me shall possess the land, and shall inherit my holy mountain;
14) And shall say, Cast ye up, cast ye up, prepare the way, take up the stumblingblock out of the way of my people.
15) For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.
16) For I will not contend for ever, neither will I be always wroth: for the spirit should fail before me, and the souls which I have made.

If we are lowly, He lifts us up! If we think of ourselves more highly than we really are, we are the ones who will suffer the loss.

Much love!

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
op: humility - are you someone God can use mightily?

My thoughts went to the Triune GodHead and Their Two Examples of Humility to follow?:

1) The SON Humbly Submitted To The Father, and Was Sent To earth, as The Humble Servant!

2) The Holy Spirit Was Doubly Humble, Being Sent By Both The Father And The SON!!

Amen?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
op: humility - are you someone God can use mightily?

My thoughts went to the Triune GodHead and Their Two Examples of Humility to follow?:

1) The SON Humbly Submitted To The Father, and Was Sent To earth, as The Humble Servant!

2) The Holy Spirit Was Doubly Humble, Being Sent By Both The Father And The SON!!

Amen?
John 16:13-14 KJV
13) Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
14) He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 13:1-5 KJV
1) Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end.
2) And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray him;
3) Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he was come from God, and went to God;
4) He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself.
5) After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.

He loved them to the end, to the uttermost, even Judas! No one was beneath Jesus. Any hesitation to serve others, or any less than sincere service, I've come to understand this to be a failure of understanding, thinking that I myself should be served, or a failure of faith, thinking that the results of service are up to me.

Much love!