Hunger and thirst

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 5:6 Blessed are they who do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
just how hungry AND THIRSTY for righteousness are we ? we are living in a time when many preacher are left scratching there head after a church service.. i speak for me on my thoughts .well did i put it out there plain enough anyone can understand? are they even interested ? did i do it the lords way ? the apostle Paul wrote about perilous times .latter times some would depart from the faith giving heed to seducing spirits .

i have often wondered if the Church was in decline . i have came to the conclusion after the new years eve watch service i participated in .the problem must be us. let me tell you the last half of the watch service turned into a barn burner . my main scripture was rev 1:3 time is at hand, {near}
what are we going to do with the year 2019 . none of this is about me or what i preached. But what God can and will do .jesus said
John 7:37-39 King James Version (KJV)
37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.

38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)
John 4
10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.

11 The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water?

12 Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle?

13 Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:

14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
are we drawing our spiritual water from the well of life or are we just drinking tap water ?

you see this watch service i was in i gave the altar call folks come forth to pray . a young lady stayed at the altar praying through .. it seemed like a hour time wise i dont know..she had real tears real concerns ,

i told the church there was no hurry the ladies gathered around her prayed with her . i prayed with her sever times another man/minister prayed over her. a grandma got up prayed over her. in the end her parents come and prayed .this young lady would be in her late 20 or older . i looked back there was a young girl sitting with her gma--crying she got saved .
on my part i must confess o went thinking it will just be another watch service .
was i ever taught a lesson . i will never forget this and the lesson i learned .

thoughts are we hungry and thirsty like we really should? are we excited as we should be when someone gets saved. i may use part of this in Sunday school class in discussion

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ezra
Have you answered the question for yourself as to how a person gets to be hungry and thirsty for righteousness?
In the flesh a healthy growing child gets hungry and thirsty from time to time without activity. If he also is quite active as in running and playing the hunger and thirst is likely to happen more often and become more acute. The child likely enjoys doing that which makes him hungrier and thirstier.

How does that relate to the "new man" hungering and thirsting for righteousness? Jesus speaks directly about what we are to eat and drink in John chapter 6 in particular. I would guess that if a person really wanted the Life which Jesus brought and offered, that would constitute hunger and thirst. If somehow we could increase our own love for Him, would that not increase our hunger and our thirst? Do we enjoy doing anything that makes us hungrier and thirstier for the flesh and blood of Jesus?

Of course some people eat and drink naturally for reasons other than health and fitness of their physical bodies. Would or could that also relate to proper nourishment of the "new man"?

Reactions: mjrhealth

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
good points i know it takes a want to and a desire a message that God gave me stand still and let GOD move some have lost a want to and desire . its a tough call
If somehow we could increase our own love for Him, would that not increase our hunger and our thirst?
very well possible not so sure as i looked at as increase our love for him.. maybe we take him for granted like we do our marriage this sunday i have been married 35 years i love her just the same .but after a few days being off work ..she is ready for me go back . there are many things that could create the hunger the thirst Draw close to God... Submit :eek: Micah says He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? to be honest no i dont have the answer BUT i know who does . and in some ways we do know every one is wired different ..i love evangelical services where the spirit of the Lord flows freely then i have seen services where the preacher never preached and the spirit moved.. its a condition of the heart

Reactions: Nancy and amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps we need to simply sincerely ask of Him? Lord make me hunger and thirst for your righteousness!

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:" Matt 7:7

My wife is used to me being home most of the time. I retired from secular employment 18 years ago. [We've been married 46 years.]

Reactions: Nancy

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
married 46 years.]
great not many go that long
Perhaps we need to simply sincerely ask of Him? Lord make me hunger and thirst for your righteousness!

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:" Matt 7:7
i think your right ..it goes with a want to and a desire .. i have teach adult s.s class in morning we start in rev chapter 1. i would kind of like to hit on this subject.. this watch service did a few things for me..you see i have always wanted to preach in a service like this... where God moved in a mighty way .it helped me tremendously..i been preaching for right at 20 years seen God do many great things... but this one is a first paul wrote to HIM who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all the the WE ask or think according to the power that works in us.. 2 thing HE IS ABLE TO. and the power is in us given to us by the Holy spirit =resurrection power.. you know we can have this in every service if we allow HIM ..this will preach but i think i might just open this up for discussion .get some seeds planted you wrote some good stuff

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
great not many go that long i think your right ..it goes with a want to and a desire .. i have teach adult s.s class in morning we start in rev chapter 1. i would kind of like to hit on this subject.. this watch service did a few things for me..you see i have always wanted to preach in a service like this... where God moved in a mighty way .it helped me tremendously..i been preaching for right at 20 years seen God do many great things... but this one is a first paul wrote to HIM who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all the the WE ask or think according to the power that works in us.. 2 thing HE IS ABLE TO. and the power is in us given to us by the Holy spirit =resurrection power.. you know we can have this in every service if we allow HIM ..this will preach but i think i might just open this up for discussion .get some seeds planted you wrote some good stuff
Give God all of the glory, my friend! May He richly bless you and those you share the Word with this A.M.!

Reactions: Ezra
D

Dave L

If you truly believe in Jesus, you have all you need. We received the New Birth by grace, along with the Holy Spirit baptism. But the fullness of the Spirit comes through repentance. And repentance begins in the thought realm.

Here's my approach to walking in the Spirit.

“Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;” (2 Corinthians 10:5) (KJV 1900)

We censor every impure thought or imagination. And change the channel in our thinking on any thought that does not conform to obedience to Christ.

And we replace it with:

“Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” (Philippians 4:8)

Knowing Jesus is God and God is love. Jesus is lord of our lives when love rules our thoughts and actions.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you truly believe in Jesus, you have all you need. We received the New Birth by grace, along with the Holy Spirit baptism. But the fullness of the Spirit comes through repentance. And repentance begins in the thought realm.
were talking about seeing souls saved souls revived .walking being led of the spirit. being the church not just going to church . like one the women in class said. you have to be prepared ahead of time. not just the day before ..if we Been set free then we should want to see others set free

Reactions: Dave L

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Give God all of the glory, my friend! May He richly bless you and those you share the Word with this A.M.!
we did discuss this it went pretty good i made it known it was not about how bad they was or how good i was,, we just have to remember it is HIM who is able

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
we did discuss this it went pretty good i made it known it was not about how bad they was or how good i was,, we just have to remember it is HIM who is able
Amen! God is able in every situation. We need only stay always on His side!

Reactions: Ezra

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
great not many go that long i think your right ..it goes with a want to and a desire .. i have teach adult s.s class in morning we start in rev chapter 1. i would kind of like to hit on this subject.. this watch service did a few things for me..you see i have always wanted to preach in a service like this... where God moved in a mighty way .it helped me tremendously..i been preaching for right at 20 years seen God do many great things... but this one is a first paul wrote to HIM who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all the the WE ask or think according to the power that works in us.. 2 thing HE IS ABLE TO. and the power is in us given to us by the Holy spirit =resurrection power.. you know we can have this in every service if we allow HIM ..this will preach but i think i might just open this up for discussion .get some seeds planted you wrote some good stuff

Sorry but I could not resist it. I have been married 48 years.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
deceitful, above all things
fwiw

wow, if one has "Read aloud" in their Rclick their pc will translate acronyms for them!
It said "for what it's worth!" ha
so your saying paul teaching is deceitful with [your] heart
καρδίᾳ (kardia)
Noun - Dative Feminine Singular
Strong's Greek 2588: Prolonged from a primary kar; the heart, i.e. the thoughts or feelings; also the middle.

[you] believe
πιστεύεται (pisteuetai)
Verb - Present Indicative Middle or Passive - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's Greek 4100: From pistis; to have faith, i.e. Credit; by implication, to entrust.

Jeremiah24:7
And I will give them an heart to know me, that I am the Lord: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God: for they shall return unto me with their whole heart.
them a heart
לֵ֜ב (lêḇ)
Noun - masculine singular
Strong's Hebrew 3820: 1) inner man, mind, will, heart, understanding 1a) inner part, midst 1a1) midst (of things) 1a2) heart (of man) 1a3) soul, heart (of man)1a4) mind, knowledge, thinking, reflection, memory 1a5) inclination, resolution, determination (of will) 1a6) conscience 1a7) heart (of moral character) 1a8) as seat of appetites 1a9) as seat of emotions and passions 1a10) as seat of courage

to know Me,
לָדַ֣עַת (lā·ḏa·‘aṯ)
Preposition-l | Verb - Qal - Infinitive construct
Strong's Hebrew 3045: 1) to know 1a) (Qal) 1a1) to know 1a1a) to know, learn to know 1a1b) to perceive 1a1c) to perceive and see, find out and discern 1a1d) to discriminate, distinguish 1a1e) to know by experience 1a1f) to recognise, admit, acknowledge, confess 1a1g) to consider 1a2) to know, be acquainted with 1a3) to know (a person carnally) 1a4) to know how, be skilful in 1a5) to have knowledge, be wise 1b) (Niphal) 1b1) to be made known, be or become known, be revealed 1b2) to make oneself known 1b3) to be perceived 1b4) to be instructed1c) (Piel) to cause to know 1d) (Poal) to cause to know 1e) (Pual) 1e1) to be known 1e2) known, one known, acquaintance (participle) 1f) (Hiphil) to make known, declare 1g) (Hophal) to be made known 1h) (Hithpael) to make oneself known, reveal oneself

אֹתִ֗י (’ō·ṯî)
Direct object marker | first person common singular
Strong's Hebrew 853: 1) sign of the definite direct object, not translated in English but generally preceding and indicating the accusative

Strong's Lexicon
The heart ( Jeremiah 17 }
הַלֵּ֛ב (hal·lêḇ)
Article | Noun - masculine singular
Strong's Hebrew 3820: 1) inner man, mind, will, heart, understanding 1a) inner part, midst 1a1) midst (of things) 1a2) heart (of man) 1a3) soul, heart (of man)1a4) mind, knowledge, thinking, reflection, memory 1a5) inclination, resolution, determination (of will) 1a6) conscience 1a7) heart (of moral character) 1a8) as seat of appetites 1a9) as seat of emotions and passions 1a10) as seat of courage.

the natural mans heart is deceitful God Gives us a new heart when we get saved

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
good points i know it takes a want to and a desire a message that God gave me stand still and let GOD move some have lost a want to and desire . its a tough call very well possible not so sure as i looked at as increase our love for him.. maybe we take him for granted like we do our marriage this sunday i have been married 35 years i love her just the same .but after a few days being off work ..she is ready for me go back . there are many things that could create the hunger the thirst Draw close to God... Submit :eek: Micah says He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? to be honest no i dont have the answer BUT i know who does . and in some ways we do know every one is wired different ..i love evangelical services where the spirit of the Lord flows freely then i have seen services where the preacher never preached and the spirit moved.. its a condition of the heart

Happy belated anniversary to you and your wife!

Reactions: Ezra and farouk

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
so your saying paul teaching is deceitful with [your] heart
Hmm, I wouldn't have put it that way, but Paul particularly makes statements that may easily be misinterpreted according to our desires imo, ya. For instance many believers, maybe even most, would tell one that Paul said "to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord," an obvious mis-Quote, and there are other examples

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
the natural mans heart is deceitful God Gives us a new heart when we get saved
Well, imo our subjective defs of "saved" might intrude there I guess, no doubt you currently operate under the belief that a little altar profession down front on Sunday = "saved," and wadr I don't believe that any more. Or I'll say that when someone tells me that and then goes and sings "when we all get to heaven" right after, I know that I am dealing with someone who is still deceived

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Amen! it's part of the John 3 new birth, by God's wondrous grace!
Imo we have made that into a meaningless ritual that virtually no one even understands, we virtually all go right back to our old lives, no one recognizes the death that our baptism ritual reps when they are baptized, etc, and imo virtually all are baptized into the Cult of Sol, and immediately accept Jesus as a talisman or charm, or what is the term, ah amulet, and start commending ourselves to each other as you two are wadr doing right now.

"I'm saved, you're saved, he's saved, we're all saved, wouldn't you like to be a saveder too?"

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Just say these words, this magic incantation we have, and you too can be included in Death More Abundantly! Thief in the night is truly a profound analog imo

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmm, I wouldn't have put it that way, but Paul particularly makes statements that may easily be misinterpreted according to our desires imo, ya. For instance many believers, maybe even most, would tell one that Paul said "to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord," an obvious mis-Quote, and there are other examples
your imo or mine doesnt matter scripture is what matter