I am re-considering my view on Christians being involved w/ politics

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
Until recently I thought Christians should definitely get involved w/ politics.. so we can have Christian leaders.. a more christian world.. a better world for our precious children and grandchildrne.. and then i followed this election cycle very closely on both CNN and Fox.. and boy, was that an eye-opening experience!

I learned that both stations want a liberal president!

both seem to want Hillary to be elected.. Any conservative following the news last few months knows of what i speak

so now i see this very bad thing: how Christians are excluded from politics, more/less

to paraphrase Reagan: I didn't leave politics, politics left me

(as u may know Reagan said he didn't leave the Dem party, the Dem party left him)

I say the same thing about the R party. I am no longer Republican.. not if THIS is what it means to be one... this insanity...

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Conservative does not mean Christian by any stretch of the imagination. Perhaps most Christians are conservative, but this is a coincidence; the major parties are not Christian.

Should Christians vote for the lesser evil? I say yes, a vote is not a sacred rite. It is an opertunity to be shrewd in our interaction with the world. Vote if you may influence the outcome favorably. Writing in Cruz would be a waste.

Reactions: StanJ

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scaliafan.... I told you so! It was a while back, but I did mention it! I in no way am throwing in your face.... I am rejoicing with you that you see it even though it is sad.

The Hebrews told Samuel they wanted a king so they could be like other nations. They didn't want a proven prophet which was Gods govt. Its my opinion that since then politics are a curse.

I still follow politics and participate. But even though I believe our constitution is the secand greatest document ever written, nothing will replace order fully until the events of revelation come to pass.

As for the media.... Since the days of G Washington they have looked to sway public opinion instead of merely reporting what happened.

Nothing new under the Sun.

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
lforrest said:
Conservative does not mean Christian by any stretch of the imagination. Perhaps most Christians are conservative, but this is a coincidence; the major parties are not Christian.

Should Christians vote for the lesser evil? I say yes, a vote is not a sacred rite. It is an opertunity to be shrewd in our interaction with the world. Vote if you may influence the outcome favorably. Writing in Cruz would be a waste.
about as much as following Jesus is a "waste"

Is it a waste of time to be Christian, even though the rest of the world is anti-Christ?

we should just give up Jesus b/c the rest of the world does?

yeh, there's some logic for you

but in any case, we dont have to throw away our vote b/c apparently Gary Johnson is running 3rd party. He is the one who has earned my vote.

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
FHII said:
Scaliafan.... I told you so! It was a while back, but I did mention it! I in no way am throwing in your face.... I am rejoicing with you that you see it even though it is sad.

I still believe Christians should be in the public forum. The problem is that they are not welcome.. and it is probably more "profitable" spritiaully.. to make more Christians.. to convert more people.. than to waste time on all this political

NOISE

and lies..

notice the cable news folks don't even bother reporting on Gary Johnson, t he only candidate nearly everyone can agree with on most things... the only one who is not corrupt and a pathological LIAR

notice how the media does that kind of thing. I say it is virtually a waste of time to watch cable news..

:(

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
i have followed this election closlely.

sometimes i am sorry i have

it is disturbing, (to Christians)... the kind of people who "win" in this world

maybe, as some other poster here said.. the US is too far gone?

and yet i tend to think there is hope. Cruz did 2nd best.. would have done 1st best if not for the sstupid "rules" concerning delegates.. etc..

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
it would seem to do no good to try to get christian candidates.. presidents, etc..

the world is too far gone to the devil

Jesus came

but men prefered darkness to the light because their deeds were evil

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its not a new problem. Israel no longer wanted to follow prophets like Samuel. They wanted a king so they could be like other nations.

As different as we are my friend, i admire you for trying. And for your desire to a leader who is upright.

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
I believe there's an end day prophecy in Isaiah 3:4; "And I will give children to be their princes, and babes shall rule over them". Seems like its bound to be fulfilled with Donald and Hillary :)

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
Dan57 said:
I believe there's an end day prophecy in Isaiah 3:4; "And I will give children to be their princes, and babes shall rule over them". Seems like its bound to be fulfilled with Donald and Hillary :)
England separated from EU

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
England separated from EU
Wont last long, just wait and see what the world does to thoae who oppose it, The NWO is coming and it will FORCe all to obey. The EU is just the beginning.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
ScaliaFan said:
I still believe Christians should be in the public forum. The problem is that they are not welcome.. and it is probably more "profitable" spritiaully.. to make more Christians.. to convert more people.. than to waste time on all this political

NOISE

and lies..

notice the cable news folks don't even bother reporting on Gary Johnson, t he only candidate nearly everyone can agree with on most things... the only one who is not corrupt and a pathological LIAR

notice how the media does that kind of thing. I say it is virtually a waste of time to watch cable news..

:(
I encourage you to think in broader terms than the USA. Here in Australia we vote for a federal election in one week from today. There has been a double dissolution of both houses of parliament, the House of Representatives and the Senate.

Here, there are Christian candidates that I can vote for in both the House of Representatives and the Senate.

Also, voting is compulsory. Today my wife and I completed postal votes that we will post tomorrow.

I am involved in the political process because I am convinced that is where salt and light are needed. I had a Lutheran brother in Christ contact me a few days ago to ask if I would be available to hand out how-to-vote cards for a major political party at one of the polling booths. I agreed (as I did last election) and will spend 3 hours there next Saturday.

Oz

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
mjrhealth said:
Wont last long, just wait and see what the world does to thoae who oppose it, The NWO is coming and it will FORCe all to obey. The EU is just the beginning.
you don't know the future and no one has an absolute interpretation of end times. Even the Church Christ founded does not (tht i know of) have an infallible interpretation of what will happen in the End Days... We are to follow Jesus and do all we can to make this world as Christian as possible. We will often fail but that is not the point. We have to answer to God for what we did, not for wehther or not we were flamingly "successful"

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
OzSpen said:
I encourage you to think in broader terms than the USA. Here in Australia we vote for a federal election in one week from today. There has been a double dissolution of both houses of parliament, the House of Representatives and the Senate.

Here, there are Christian candidates that I can vote for in both the House of Representatives and the Senate.

Also, voting is compulsory. Today my wife and I completed postal votes that we will post tomorrow.

I am involved in the political process because I am convinced that is where salt and light are needed. I had a Lutheran brother in Christ contact me a few days ago to ask if I would be available to hand out how-to-vote cards for a major political party at one of the polling booths. I agreed (as I did last election) and will spend 3 hours there next Saturday.

Oz
thanks for the info .. didn't know Australia made people vote! I sometimes wonder if certain people should have the right to vote... you know... people who don't even know who the first president was! I don't know what the answer to that kind of ignorance-in-voting problem is, but... and I definitely belive felons should not vote until they have done all their time and spent X number of yrs being "good"

the Dems in this country are trying to open the gates/keep them open for the "refugees" aka potential terrorists... just b/c they want more Dems... They know people will say OH! IT was that D party that let us go to the US! I am now obligated to vote for them...

the Dems are nuts!

no, it's worse than that... they are EVIL

can't stand them

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
ScaliaFan said:
thanks for the info .. didn't know Australia made people vote! I sometimes wonder if certain people should have the right to vote... you know... people who don't even know who the first president was! I don't know what the answer to that kind of ignorance-in-voting problem is, but... and I definitely belive felons should not vote until they have done all their time and spent X number of yrs being "good"

the Dems in this country are trying to open the gates/keep them open for the "refugees" aka potential terrorists... just b/c they want more Dems... They know people will say OH! IT was that D party that let us go to the US! I am now obligated to vote for them...

the Dems are nuts!

no, it's worse than that... they are EVIL

can't stand them
I don't like the policy of compulsory voting because it encourages 'donkey votes' where people show up and don't care about who they vote for. I've been a scrutineer for electoral counting and have seen only a few terrible words written across a voting card, thus making it informal.

I do like our preferential system when compared with your first past the post system.

As for Democrats vs Republicans, why don't you join the party of choice and become the light of the world and the salt of the earth in that party. I'm in the midst of writing a submission to our State parliament as one MP has a Bill before it to decriminalise abortion. I choose to be a little light in writing such submissions (11 pages so far).

Oz

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
didn't know Australia made people vote! I sometimes wonder if certain people should have the right to vote
Oh here is aus we have "the right to vote" but if you dont vote you get fined. here we dont vote govermnents in we vote governments out, and what ever is left gets sucked itno teh vacum called government, which is odd as it cant even govern itself. We teh people of Australia have not one an election in years.

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
mjrhealth said:
Oh here is aus we have "the right to vote" but if you dont vote you get fined. here we dont vote govermnents in we vote governments out, and what ever is left gets sucked itno teh vacum called government, which is odd as it cant even govern itself. We teh people of Australia have not one an election in years.
i know the feeling

We the People lost this yr in USA when Cruz got out. DT should not be our nominee.. More people voted AGAINST him than 4 him... something needs to change... We are supposed to be leaders in democracy. Right

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
mjrhealth said:
mjr,

You know that is baloney! We have the option this Saturday to affirm the Coalition as the continuing government or vote in the Labor Party. There could be a hung parliament on occasions. But it is a cock 'n bull story to say that we don't vote governments in and out. We DO! :popcorn: Just like with any other democracy in the world.

If you don't believe Aust can't govern itself, why don't you go to Nigeria, Cambodia or some other third-world country? Then you would know the truth about stable govt. We have one of the most stable democracies in the world.

It is untrue that 'We teh (sic) people of Australia have not one (sic) an election in years'. We have won the elections on every occasion. It may not be the party you like or support but the PEOPLE SPEAK at every election.

It's a country mile better than what you'd get in China, Vietnam, North Korea, Syria and the Central African Republic. Perhaps you need to travel and/or live in these countries to know that you live in a very special democracy here in Australia.

Enjoy the freedom that we have and vote accordingly this Saturday.

Oz

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
ScaliaFan said:
i know the feeling

We the People lost this yr in USA when Cruz got out. DT should not be our nominee.. More people voted AGAINST him than 4 him... something needs to change... We are supposed to be leaders in democracy. Right
I like Australia's type of democracy better than your primaries to vote in a presidential candidate. We don't vote for the Prime Minister. (PM) We vote for a local member of the House of Representatives and 12 senators for each of 4 states, 4 in Tasmania, 5 in South Australia, and 2 each for the 2 territories. Then the party room chooses the PM.

Oz

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
OzSpen said:
I like Australia's type of democracy better than your primaries to vote in a presidential candidate. We don't vote for the Prime Minister. (PM) We vote for a local member of the House of Representatives and 12 senators for each of 4 states, 4 in Tasmania, 5 in South Australia, and 2 each for the 2 territories. Then the party room chooses the PM.

Oz
that may happen at our Convention. There is talk of giving the delegates a Conscience Clause (I think it is called) so they can vote their conscience rather than voting for DT whom they do not support.. makes sense to me.. Why should someone go against her/his conscience? Also, some people vote in such an IGNORANT way... not knowing squat about the issues or the personalities involved... they shouldn't even be voting... but i suppose that sounds unamerican...