I believe OSAS -BUT-

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But, I still believe in apostasy. I believe the Lord will keep each of His redeemed by His power. But if someone willingly turns away from Jesus they can be lost. I think there are enough verses to justify this position. My question: Is this stance irreconcilable? Am I just schizophrenic?

Blessings

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But, I still believe in apostasy. I believe the Lord will keep each of His redeemed by His power. But if someone willingly turns away from Jesus they can be lost. I think there are enough verses to justify this position. My question: Is this stance irreconcilable? Am I just schizophrenic?

Blessings
Perhaps just being honest with what you read and what you have understood in your heart about God!

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Blessings
OSAS comes in a HUGE variety of forms. Yours could just be one of the many of those form *shrug*.

I would more focus on study and growth in Christ, rather than focusing on labels.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Blessings

It appears you may not. Every OSAS I know, and when I was in that camp as well, believe that you can not ever Apostatize. Basically you believe in Salvation like normal people and that is not schizophrenic

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Blessings

That is healthy and right. But there are some proponents of OSAS that believe even if you apostatize or take the mark of the beast you are still saved, like John MacArthur. It is like they will believe Martin Luther over all the warnings in the Bible.

Last edited:

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It sounds like a contradiction to me, just by principle alone. Always saved means for perpetuity, this does not allow for a clause or caveat stipulating a condition.
So, for example, since I personally feel that a true believer, who was once fully convicted in their heart of the veracity of Christ's redemptive power, and even tasted of the Spiritual blessing, can fall from Grace, I unequivocally, and by necessity, can not believe in OSAS.

...schizophrenic is a bit strong, conflicted or misinformed (lacking a comprehensive view) may be more like it.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Salvation is not probation.
Eternal life is not temporary life.
Jesus is the door. He is not a revolving door.
No and's if's or but's.

Reactions: farouk

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Blessings

Rev_17:14  These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.

which implies one can be called and not chosen:

Mat_22:14  For many are called, but few are chosen.

of which the faith is of Christ

Gal_2:16  Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Php_3:9  And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

Rom_3:22  Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

Gal_2:16  Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Gal_3:22  But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

Rev_14:12  Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

of whom we know is of God. therefore its God who calls its God who chooses and its God that is the source of our faith in Christ.

its like this, any circumstance can be forgiven, but the Almighty sees the heart.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Salvation is not probation.
Eternal life is not temporary life.
Jesus is the door. He is not a revolving door.
No and's if's or but's.
Yes, but not one of the facts that you have cited about Salvation, has taken place yet. So, your 'refund' analogy does not, and cannot, apply.
No one has received Salvation yet, nor any of its fruits, thus, we are still under probation.
Eternal life has not begun, therefore, we are all still living temporal lives where no one has any attestation to what their destiny will be.
No one has entered Jesus' door yet, so as it stands now, and until we do, many will vacillate, and revolve on and off the path towards Salvation.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Blessings
I don't think that a new creation in Christ turns away from Him. I find it completely irreconcilable.

Much love!

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If Once Saved Always Saved (OSAS) were true, none of these passages would have been written: Those who have not given in to the temptation to corrupt the word can still perceive what these scriptures are implying; Those who have corrupted these scriptures have been turned over their own lusts desires and can no longer be moved by these passages. Do you Remember when you first heard the word and these passages actually moved you? Get back to these “first works”. Men’s fair speeches and clever inventions will not stand in the last day; God will not be impressed with your “theological” double speak and your “original language” perversions. The fire of his jealousy will burn all lies into ashes.

Matthew 5:13 salt losing savour

Matthew 7:13-14 strait/wide gate

Matthew 10:33 deniers of Christ denied

Matthew 12:32 forgiveness/this world

Matthew 12:43-45 unclean spirit/returns

Matthew 24:13 endure to the end

Matthew 25:19-30 servants/talents

Matthew 26:41 the flesh is weak; Watch!

Mark 3:24-25 Divided house

Mark 10:30 eternal life in world to come

Mark 2:21-22 new vs old/cloth, wine

Luke 8:11-13 seed sower/word sower

Luke 9:23-26 deny self/ashamed of Christ

Luke 9:25 being a castaway

Luke 9:62 hand on plow/looking back

Luke 12:45-46 portion with unbelievers

Luke 13:6-9 worthless tree fate

Luke 13:23-27 depart from me/strait gate

Luke 18:30 world/come life everlasting

Luke 22:28-32 Satan desired Peter

John 8:31-32 if ye continue in word

John 8:51 if saying is kept

John 12:24-25 save life/lose life/corn

John 14:12 greater works than Jesus

John 15:22 no cloak for sin

Acts 13:43 continue in grace

Acts 14:21-22 continue in faith

Romans 1:11 may be established

Romans 1:24-25,28-32

Romans 3:25 past sins

Romans 10:1 prayer for Israel to be saved

Romans 11:13-14

Romans 11:20-23 continue in goodness

1 Corinthians 8:9-13 (liberty/weak saints)

1 Corinthians 9:27 (cast away)

1 Corinthians 15:1-2 the gospel

Ephesians 4:30 grieve not the H. Spirit

Philipp 2:12 work out w/ fear and trembling

Colossians 1:21-23 continue in faith

1 Thessalonians 3:1-5 don’t be moved

2 Thessalonians 1:5 worthy of kingdom

2 Thessalonians 1:11 pray to be worthy

1 Timothy 2:15 continue in faith, holiness

1 Timothy 4:16 continue to be saved

1 Timothy 5:8 worse than an infidel

2 Timothy 2:11-13 deny him, deny us