"I don't like even being around them"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Justadude

Feb 25, 2020
Colorado
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
In another thread, @Ezra noticed that I am an agnostic and said "i see you have agnostic beside your faith.. conversation ended". Apparently the mere fact that I'm not a Christian is justification enough to not talk to me. That put me in mind of something similar that happened a couple of years ago.

As I've described many times here, pretty much all my friends are Christians, some even are full-time employees of a local church. We became friends through our kids (they're all about the same age) and school.

For years we all would go camping together, sometimes at the church's campground and other times at a national forest campground....but always next to a lake. As our kids have grown older the tradition has waned a bit, but we try to go whenever we can. At the last camping trip, one of my friends invited his sister and brother-in-law. I'd never met them before, but they seemed like nice enough people to me....at first.

One day all the parents were floating in the bay on a large inflatable raft, just hanging out and chatting. I can't recall exactly what led the conversation towards non-Christians, but at one point my friend's sister says rather loudly "I can't stand non-Christians! I don't want them in my house, I don't want them around my kids...I don't even like being around them!!"

Now, everyone else (besides her husband) on that raft knew I was a non-Christian, so there was an immediate period of very awkward silence. I just sat there and turned my gaze towards the mountains and smiled and eventually the conversation moved to something else. But for the rest of the trip, there was an obvious tension as every once in awhile she would again say something about non-Christians. I don't know if any of my friends ever said anything to her about my lack of faith, but I didn't. I'd just met her and didn't feel like I should start up with her on what was otherwise a very enjoyable trip. So as usual I just spoke to her in pleasantries and left it at that.

Anyways, Ezra's comment earlier today reminded me of that day at the lake and how weird her statements seemed. What's with some Christians and this apparent fear of being around or.......GASP......talking to a non-Christian? Are they afraid I'm going to infect them with critical thinking and skepticism? Are they worried they might find out I'm a pleasant person who's fun to be around? Or maybe they think I've got some sort of demon that might jump from my body to theirs?

Reactions: bbyrd009

Justadude

Feb 25, 2020
Colorado
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
Just curious. You seem to go out of your way to hang around Christians. Why?
It's kind of the other way 'round. I live in a pretty conservative part of the US, which has a high percentage of Christians. And I'm not the kind of person who when I meet someone who's fun to be around and I share interests with, and after I find out they're a Christian (or any other faith), I quit being their friend. I grew up surrounded by Christians and Christianity, so most of the time it's really no big deal to me. I'm used to it.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's kind of the other way 'round. I live in a pretty conservative part of the US, which has a high percentage of Christians. And I'm not the kind of person who when I meet someone who's fun to be around and I share interests with, and after I find out they're a Christian (or any other faith), I quit being their friend. I grew up surrounded by Christians and Christianity, so most of the time it's really no big deal to me. I'm used to it.
I agree. Some of them are pretty cool.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
When someone tells me they are atheist, Jewish, or whatever, I say nobody's perfect. Then move on the conversation.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In another thread, @Ezra noticed that I am an agnostic and said "i see you have agnostic beside your faith.. conversation ended". Apparently the mere fact that I'm not a Christian is justification enough to not talk to me. That put me in mind of something similar that happened a couple of years ago.

As I've described many times here, pretty much all my friends are Christians, some even are full-time employees of a local church. We became friends through our kids (they're all about the same age) and school.

For years we all would go camping together, sometimes at the church's campground and other times at a national forest campground....but always next to a lake. As our kids have grown older the tradition has waned a bit, but we try to go whenever we can. At the last camping trip, one of my friends invited his sister and brother-in-law. I'd never met them before, but they seemed like nice enough people to me....at first.

One day all the parents were floating in the bay on a large inflatable raft, just hanging out and chatting. I can't recall exactly what led the conversation towards non-Christians, but at one point my friend's sister says rather loudly "I can't stand non-Christians! I don't want them in my house, I don't want them around my kids...I don't even like being around them!!"

Now, everyone else (besides her husband) on that raft knew I was a non-Christian, so there was an immediate period of very awkward silence. I just sat there and turned my gaze towards the mountains and smiled and eventually the conversation moved to something else. But for the rest of the trip, there was an obvious tension as every once in awhile she would again say something about non-Christians. I don't know if any of my friends ever said anything to her about my lack of faith, but I didn't. I'd just met her and didn't feel like I should start up with her on what was otherwise a very enjoyable trip. So as usual I just spoke to her in pleasantries and left it at that.

Anyways, Ezra's comment earlier today reminded me of that day at the lake and how weird her statements seemed. What's with some Christians and this apparent fear of being around or.......GASP......talking to a non-Christian? Are they afraid I'm going to infect them with critical thinking and skepticism? Are they worried they might find out I'm a pleasant person who's fun to be around? Or maybe they think I've got some sort of demon that might jump from my body to theirs?

It's unfortunate but some people are like this. They have a bad experience with someone and they make a generalization.

I help but think about how ironic such behaviour is from a Christian.
The parable of the good Samaritan, told by Jesus, comes to mind, also Jesus asking the Samaritan woman for a drink by the well.
See the Jews and Samaritans were like enemies and didn't get along. So these stories are telling Christians to accept others

There are some atheists that are hostile towards Christianity, but
I have never personally met an agnostic person that was hostile towards Christians or anyone

There are good people and bad people in every religion, nationality or group of people.
I think that is the main thing that everyone should be aware of

Justadude

Feb 25, 2020
Colorado
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
It's unfortunate but some people are like this. They have a bad experience with someone and they make a generalization.
Or some people can't handle being exposed to different points of view. They see it as a threat to their own.

I help but think about how ironic such behaviour is from a Christian.
The parable of the good Samaritan, told by Jesus, comes to mind, also Jesus asking the Samaritan woman for a drink by the well.
See the Jews and Samaritans were like enemies and didn't get along. So these stories are telling Christians to accept others
It is weird, given those stories. But then there are Christians right here in this forum who have cited my being an agnostic as reason enough to stop interacting with me.

There are some atheists that are hostile towards Christianity, but
I have never personally met an agnostic person that was hostile towards Christians or anyone

There are good people and bad people in every religion, nationality or group of people.
I think that is the main thing that everyone should be aware of
Agreed. :)

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Or some people can't handle being exposed to different points of view. They see it as a threat to their own.

Hmm I never thought about that but now that i have I think its very likely for some people

It is weird, given those stories. But then there are Christians right here in this forum who have cited my being an agnostic as reason enough to stop interacting with me.

If a Christian has an issue with u being agnostic I would bring up those Samaritan stories. That'll throw em off...o_O

When I was agnostic some atheists would say things like "no such thing as agnostic" or "its not an option"
or "its a dishonest position" or some would say "its the same thing, ur an atheist" and they would twist up definitions
Do u get that?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What brings an agnostic to a Christian forum?

Curious Mary

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
What brings an agnostic to a Christian forum?

Curious Mary
I remember an unmarried couple over 30 years ago that told me they regularly attended the 1000 strong AOG fellowship I was part of back then, "just to have a laugh at Christianity", which apparently they didn't believe a word of. People have all sorts of reasons for interacting with us "peculiar people". I do wonder what happened to these two, I hope they got saved...

Reactions: amadeus and Marymog
R

Rita

The desire to argue?
Not being funny but that could apply to many on this forum !
It takes two to create an argument - and as he is often the only agnostic on the threads.........
Also many arguments erupt here, on threads he is not a part of .........so perhaps others need to evaluate their own motives for interactions ......that’s a generalisation, not having a dig at you personally Willie.
Why does it matter.....I have seen some pretty awful responses to Justadude - quite frankly If that is how Christians witness to others it’s no wonder the church is floundering !!

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Having an aversion to something or someone isn't the same thing as being AFRAID. I really don't like licorice at all, but I'm not afraid of it. I don't know the woman who said that she doesn't like non-Christians, but it didn't sound like she's afraid of y'all. So, this is probably not a case of agnostiphobia. When it comes down to it, I can only speak for myself. At times, I have wondered about your motive for joining a Christian forum. But I sincerely hope and pray that you will find the love of Jesus here!

Justadude

Feb 25, 2020
Colorado
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
Hmm I never thought about that but now that i have I think its very likely for some people
For sure.

If a Christian has an issue with u being agnostic I would bring up those Samaritan stories. That'll throw em off...o_O
Usually if the mere fact that I'm not Christian is enough to make them have an issue, they're not someone I really want to be friends with anyway.

When I was agnostic some atheists would say things like "no such thing as agnostic" or "its not an option"
or "its a dishonest position" or some would say "its the same thing, ur an atheist" and they would twist up definitions
Do u get that?
Not really. I don't get to actually discuss my point of view very much. Most of the Christians I know don't seem to like hearing about it.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Justadude

Feb 25, 2020
Colorado
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
Probably not. It is possibly because his Christian friends are the only ones who will like/overlook his obnoxious ways.
That makes me wonder what you think of the "ways" represented in the posts by some of the Christians here in this forum. I've seen racism, antisemitism, extreme homophobic bigotry, truly crazy conspiracy theories, and a whole bunch of other things that have surprised me. If my ways are "obnoxious", I have to wonder what you think about those things from your fellow Christians?