I have a question regarding addiction

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Whicee

Nov 18, 2020
Leicester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Would learning about how addiction works on a psychological level increase the chances of an addict overcoming their addiction?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Whicee Hi; good to see you. I can't comment on the medical side.

But prayer and the Scriptures can transform lives; truly they can, by God's grace.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would learning about how addiction works on a psychological level increase the chances of an addict overcoming their addiction?
I think so. Demystification . . . taking the mystery out of what's happening. You can come to understand that there are sound physiological reasons for feeling the way you do, the cravings, weakness, all of it, there are physiological and electro-chemical components that you can work with to combat addictions.

At the end of the day, the Holy Spirit gives freedom from addictions.

Much love!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think so. Demystification . . . taking the mystery out of what's happening. You can come to understand that there are sound physiological reasons for feeling the way you do, the cravings, weakness, all of it, there are physiological and electro-chemical components that you can work with to combat addictions.

At the end of the day, the Holy Spirit gives freedom from addictions.

Much love!
@marks I think also it depends on the definition of addiction. For example, there is a tattoo parlor called 'Addicted to Tattoos', in Tampa, Florida. Sometimes the word is used metaphorically and even benignly.

In the end, if sometimes takes the place of God in one's desires and aspirations it is spiritually unhealthy, and needs to be combatted with spiritual resources.