I like this poster about the KJV....

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I like this poster about the KJV... :)

kjv-only.jpg

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Ok if you speak old English. But there are many other (better) versions.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok if you speak old English. But there are many other (better) versions.

I like the NKJV....it just leaves out the thee's and the thou's. Because many of us learned memory verses using the KJV, it's easier to remember them.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I like the NKJV....it just leaves out the thee's and the thou's. Because many of us learned memory verses using the KJV, it's easier to remember them.
But there are many more languages in the world apart from English. So I'm saying the KJV or any other English translation won't be their bible of choice. I wonder if say French or Spanish or Itallian or Chinese etc are have as many translations as we do.

Reactions: Pathfinder7

Pathfinder7

Mar 8, 2020
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
During my spiritual journey.. from 1970's.
- I started with 'NASB & Amplified Bible.'
- Used many Bible translations ( including KJV!).. over the years.
- Currently, I use 'NKJV & NIV.'
---
It is interesting to study/research..
KJV translation history.
- Why & How..
- 'State & Church establishment' influence..
---
I assume that this thread is not going into..
- KJVO discussion.
- One of the most popular topics..on Christian Forums.
*Saying this.. with a sense of humor.
---
Note:
I am on several Christian Forums.
On 'KJV only' thread..
- Arguing same stuff..again & again.
---

Blessings,

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
During my spiritual journey.. from 1970's.
- I started with 'NASB & Amplified Bible.'
- Used many Bible translations ( including KJV!).. over the years.
- Currently, I use 'NKJV & NIV.'
---
It is interesting to study/research..
KJV translation history.
- Why & How..
- 'State & Church establishment' influence..
---
I assume that this thread is not going into..
- KJVO discussion.
- One of the most popular topics..on Christian Forums.
*Saying this.. with a sense of humor.
---
Note:
I am on several Christian Forums.
On 'KJV only' thread..
- Arguing same stuff..again & again.
---

Blessings,
As the poster in the OP says, to appreciate, prefer and use the KJV is not to adopt some of the rhetoric of 'KJV Only'.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP only, yes I agree. explore other verson, LEARN. and as for old English, it's just as hard to learn as later or new English... ;)
any language is hard to learn, but view it as an obstacle to over come. I did it, first, by getting an "old" English dictionary to understand the language of that day. many translators abide by what they have learn, hence get a second opinion, (another dictionary). but the main thing, get the Holy Spirit to guide you, it makes no difference of the language dialect, or the translation. the truth will not change. when the Holy Spirit shows you errors in a translation, or transliteration, leave it alone. that's all I can say. let the Hoy Spriit lead you to the translation, and not you. test the spirit by the Spirit.

PICJAG.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But there are many more languages in the world apart from English. So I'm saying the KJV or any other English translation won't be their bible of choice. I wonder if say French or Spanish or Itallian or Chinese etc are have as many translations as we do.
I have at least 15 different English versions. In Spanish and German I have three each. I presume that there are more than that available in each of them as well as other versions for other languages. God knows them all, but some people still don't know how to communicate with Him.

Reactions: Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Read it often enough the old english disappears.
But we do not even need old English in the first place. Because it's all tees and thous and thine and thy etc doesn't make it one jot holier.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I was given a small KJV when I was ten. Tried to read it but gave up. When I first came to Jesus I had a Good News bible which I loved and then when the Bible Society brought out the NIV I bought one of those. It practically fell to pieces and I couldn't afford a new one and I found a lovely one in a charity shop, still in its box and unused (sad). It cost me £2, brand new, red letter and gold edges - and is still going strong because when it started to get a bit tatty I covered it with clear film.

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like this poster about the KJV... :)

You should be aware that everyone graduates with a "Mortar Board" and "Tassel", except Marketing Majors. They're given a pirates patch for they eye, and a dagger for their teeth, because it's their job to separate YOU from YOUR MONEY, or possibly convince you that YOUR EYES are LYING TO YOU.

Bobby Jo

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
But we do not even need old English in the first place. Because it's all tees and thous and thine and thy etc doesn't make it one jot holier.
In some ways thee and you (singular/plural) are actually more accurate. But there are many other features of the KJV that are strengths also, IMHO.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Of course. I speak personally. I am not laying down a principle others should follow. My first Bible was common English version that Westcott and Hort revised in the 19th century. My first KJV I bought when that one fell apart. I fell in love with the KJV. At first the old english was a minor obstacle to a flowing reading style, but wasn't an impediment to understanding. It is still English which is my first languag e. Eventually I could read it aloud and replace those thees and thous with current words if I chose. But what I found was that the KJV was so much easier to memorise. It's poetic form and the beauty of it's language just lent itself to the memory. And sure, I use other versions from time to time to get a different perspective. But I seldom go to the Greek or Hebrew unless I'm doing a word study. The Holy Spirit is sufficient to do the work in me that God intended.
11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
Isaiah 55:11 KJV

Reactions: amadeus