I need to leave my golden handcuffs job. Any advice...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TeachMeThyWill

Aug 22, 2020
DC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Grace and Peace to all,

Ok, my situation. I am a Christian dealing with the struggles of working in a toxic/ungodly workplace.

My workplace is filled heavily with Muslims and I face spiritual warfare frequently. I have been approached to "become a Muslim" or "attend a mosque" twice and I am getting sick of defending myself simply because I walked into the room. There is a feeling of "second class citizenship" for me in the workplace.

I am facing persecution on my job because I had a cross, a few bibles, and Voice of the Martyrs magazines in my car. I also had patches of the US Flag and a flag with a Cross in my rear windshield. That, apparently, was a problem.

Occasionally, I would read the Bible on my own time in the far end of the parking lot, away from anybody, but apparently that was a problem.

My car has been broken into, the driver seat has been vandalized, and my car has been vandalized.

Understand, I don't speak about my faith or evangelize at work because I don't believe in doing that on the job/on the clock. There is a time/place for everything. So I know this persecution cannot come from me being that "annoying/arrogant Christian type."

In addition, my job makes it hard to have a life or meet someone. I have a degree(I don't use it on the job because it's a useless liberal arts degree), but I'm currently going back to school online for software development to get better job prospects(and escape my current warfare situation) but the process is too slow. I don't know how much longer I can last on this job. I am barely holding on.

I have suffered bouts of prolonged depression because of it.

I'm almost 35 and I am a very single, very depressed, very joyless Christian trying to hold on to some sanity. My dreams of being a Godly man-Basics of a Godly Man — The 4 p’s -Dr. Voodie Bachuams 4P's have been blown to bits.

I am just so upset sometimes I cry alone. My youth is pretty much gone and I have nothing to show for it. No wife, no family, no children, just an aggressive workplace with aggressive coworkers. I just feel like such a failure. I make great money, but it comes with all this drama and strife. I feel imprisoned.

I used to be a happy/joyful person back in college. I miss those days though I was not Christian. I had friends/support systems and life, but now all I have is work(an aggressive workplace), no dating prospects, and getting older and older. I feel like I am just waiting to die.

This is not a life. I know God has more for me.

There is a type of affection(non-sexual I mean), that can only come from the opposite-sex and I desire this so much. I desire to be loved so much.

In my pagan days, I had a few girlfriends.(Just giving the facts. Not boasting. Not proud of this.) I came to faith back in 2008 while with my last girlfriend and it didn't work out for a lot of reasons. (Do not be unequally yoked. I know and I obeyed. She made it clear Jesus as not for her. So I obeyed, but I still miss/love/care for her. I still pray for her salvation. I want to see her in the Kingdom.)

I'm empty. Just me alone with my thoughts and all this workplace-aggression. I want to quit, but I need the money to live and I don't have another way currently to match the income. Or at least be in the ballpark. (It's a union job)

I just want a better job, a good church, and, god-willing, a godly wife that we may grow old(and in sanctification) together.

I feel that I am missing out on life. I have lost contact with old friends. (Some of whom are female and married, so I would not be appropriate to continue such friendships.) I have lost contact with my male friends because of jobs, moving for jobs, or getting married.

Here I am. Trying to figure out why(according to election. I'm reformed) my life is going this way if, indeed, I am Christian.

I have met women, but those so-called Christian women want sexual compromise. I will not. So I am still single.

If that is the case, I might a well run back to my ex. At least I actually want to be with her. (Just making a point.)

Not to mention, I hate my job, so that will only lead to an unhealthy situation if I get married. (You can only hide your disdain but for so long.)

I'm 34 and I have nothing to show for it.

Dr. June Hunt says we all have 3 basic needs.

A need to be LOVED, to have SIGNIFICANCE, and to feel SAFE.

I have none of these. I am undone on the inside.

Any advice?

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds to me that the high pay is your problem. You're hanging onto a job you hate because of the money. I don't know what housing costs are where you live; but if most of your money is going into housing, ask yourself if you could live in more affordable housing. You could also think about moving back where you had friends and family. So what if you make less money and live in smaller place?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to be a happy/joyful person back in college. I miss those days though I was not Christian. I had friends/support systems and life, but now all I have is work(an aggressive workplace), no dating prospects, and getting older and older. I feel like I am just waiting to die.

Ok, for starters you are 35. I didn't marry till I was 42, so relax.

The first thing you need to do is start praying incessantly for another job. Pray ON the job, under your breath. Pray ON the job in your car in the parking lot. You need to fight back. God didn't ask you to save the Muslim world, so you need to get out. Pray on your way to work and your way home. Pray before bed and before getting up. Pray in the shower. Pray during breakfast and when having dinner.

Do these things and He will answer you, and eventually reveal to you where and how you can get a better job and be out of that environment. Fight back. Stop being a victim, and walking around a victim's mentality. And be as loving to those people as you can while you are heading for the exits. The enemy will try and use them to occupy your mind so your focus is on them instead of God.

You know what you have to do. You just have to do it. Believe God to take care of you, and keep asking Him to incessantly until He does.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We can all give good advice as to what you/we should be doing. One of the issues that many of us are face is know what God has called us to do and then immersing ourselves in that task. The thing that comes with doing the tasks that God has set for us to do is to trust Him while involved in His task for us.

What should you be doing? Like every Christian, be in communion with God at all times. Whether we are in our quite place with God or in the hum and bustle of our daily lives. We need to be walking and talking with Him.

What does this mean for us all? We have to let go and let God be in control of every aspect of our lives no matter what befalls us, trusting Him to be with us in our circumstances.

One of the other things that we can do is to ask God to include our friends, acquaintances, and those we rub shoulders with while living out our lives would be included in those whom He will draw to Himself. This prayer is what causes the most changes in the environment that we live in.

Shalom

Reactions: Stan B

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Grace and Peace to all,

Ok, my situation. I am a Christian dealing with the struggles of working in a toxic/ungodly workplace.

My workplace is filled heavily with Muslims and I face spiritual warfare frequently. I have been approached to "become a Muslim" or "attend a mosque" twice and I am getting sick of defending myself simply because I walked into the room. There is a feeling of "second class citizenship" for me in the workplace.

I am facing persecution on my job because I had a cross, a few bibles, and Voice of the Martyrs magazines in my car. I also had patches of the US Flag and a flag with a Cross in my rear windshield. That, apparently, was a problem.

Occasionally, I would read the Bible on my own time in the far end of the parking lot, away from anybody, but apparently that was a problem.

My car has been broken into, the driver seat has been vandalized, and my car has been vandalized.

Understand, I don't speak about my faith or evangelize at work because I don't believe in doing that on the job/on the clock. There is a time/place for everything. So I know this persecution cannot come from me being that "annoying/arrogant Christian type."

In addition, my job makes it hard to have a life or meet someone. I have a degree(I don't use it on the job because it's a useless liberal arts degree), but I'm currently going back to school online for software development to get better job prospects(and escape my current warfare situation) but the process is too slow. I don't know how much longer I can last on this job. I am barely holding on.

I'm almost 35 and I am a very single, very depressed, very joyless Christian trying to hold on to some sanity. My dreams of being a Godly man-Basics of a Godly Man — The 4 p’s -Dr. Voodie Bachuams 4P's have been blown to bits.

I am just so upset sometimes I cry alone. My youth is pretty much gone and I have nothing to show for it. No wife, no family, no children, just an aggressive workplace with aggressive coworkers. I just feel like such a failure. I make great money, but it comes with all this drama and strife. I feel imprisoned.

There is a type of affection(non-sexual I mean), that can only come from the opposite-sex and I desire this so much. I desire to be loved so much.

In my pagan days, I had a few girlfriends.(Just giving the facts. Not boasting. Not proud of this.) I came to faith back in 2008 while with my last girlfriend and it didn't work out for a lot of reasons. (Do not be unequally yoked. I know and I obeyed. She made it clear Jesus as not for her. So I obeyed, but I still miss/love/care for her. I still pray for her salvation. I want to see her in the Kingdom.)

I'm empty. Just me alone with my thoughts and all this workplace-aggression. I want to quit, but I need the money to live and I don't have another way currently to match the income. Or at least be in the ballpark. (It's a union job)

I just want a better job, a good church, and, god-willing, a godly wife that we may grow old(and in sanctification) together.

I feel that I am missing out on life. I have lost contact with old friends. (Some of whom are female and married, so I would not be appropriate to continue such friendships.) I have lost contact with my male friends because of jobs, moving for jobs, or getting married.

Here I am. Trying to figure out why(according to election. I'm reformed) my life is going this way if, indeed, I am Christian.

I have met women, but those so-called Christian women want sexual compromise. I will not. So I am still single.

If that is the case, I might a well run back to my ex. At least I actually want to be with her. (Just making a point.)

Not to mention, I hate my job, so that will only lead to an unhealthy situation if I get married. (You can only hide your disdain but for so long.)

Any advice?

your job does not define you

Reactions: Nancy

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Which is perfectly commendable. Look for another job immediately (even if it is not the perfect job) and quit your workplace for the sake of your own mental well-being. If you can do it next week so much the better.

Reactions: Giuliano

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Grace and Peace to all,

I am facing persecution on my job because I had a cross, a few bibles, and Voice of the Martyrs magazines in my car.

Have you ever considered the possibility that God has placed you there for a purpose? As a testimony of the power of God and who HE is??

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Grace and Peace to all,

Any advice?
Hi, TMTW, welcome to the forum!

First, I’ve asked God to give you His peace! You sound as though you’re frantic, which I can understand, but you need to focus your eyes on God and not on your circumstances. Meditate on some scriptures like Philippians 4:6-8.

You need to get quiet before God and seek His guidance. When we ask Him what to do, and we’re willing to do whatever He shows us, then He will show us.... He will close doors that need to be closed and open doors that need to be opened for us when we’re yielded to Him.

Waiting on God can be difficult, but I pray that you will know His peace and His will for you. And I pray that you will know His great grace, which is His sustaining power.

It may be that God has you in that job for the time being so that you can pray for the people you work with. It sounds like a hard place to be, but sometimes God uses us in the hard places.

I’m sure that you know all of this, but sometimes, we need to be reminded when we feel overwhelmed.

Reactions: Jay Ross and Stan B

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Grace and Peace to all,

Any advice?

Hit the voice record on your phone and keep it in your shirt pocket as they harass you. The establishment is liable for your mental anguish.

You may also turn in the recordings to the labor board claiming violation of religious tolerance, as they tried to recruit you.

And, even if you make this know by law, you will still need to move on to another job. Your car in the parking lot will most definitely be abused in retaliation.

If you decide to file law suit for monetary compensation, there are good attorneys that will not charge a fee unless you win.

God Bless!

Last edited:

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Grace and Peace to all,

Any advice?

Blessings in Christ Jesus! What if I told you that it is possible in the blink of an eye for you to no longer view all of this, the way you do. When one comes to the end of themselves that is only when The Lord begins. The Lord is not about self, He is about others.(The Cross) The world is about self, because what they inherited in the garden. Turn on the tv or the news, and what do you see? I want, I want, and yet David said, "I shall not want". Being about self causes a suffering or a torment in man. In other words, that is what happens when one is always in want. All of this was designed so that when a person finally has had enough they are ready on the day The Lord knocks on the door of their life. If on that day they hear His voice, and open that door, then He enters in and sups with them. It is on this day that the journey of a Christian begins. It is on this day, that a person is truly born again(Born from above). It is on this day, that a man is given eyes to see, and a heart to understand.The Lord already knows all of the desires of your heart He just ask that you come to Him so He can give you rest. You are exactly where you need to be. Perhaps, you are there, so that others may witness the before and after of an amazing Grace. Being in Christ Jesus, there is no room for regret, there is no room for depression, there is only room for for what the Lord brings with Him. And these you will find in your reading, and hopefully soon find in your testimony. Be Blessed and may The Lord's face shine upon you!

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which is perfectly commendable. Look for another job immediately (even if it is not the perfect job) and quit your workplace for the sake of your own mental well-being. If you can do it next week so much the better.
I think so too. While I can't say for sure -- while I can't judge the situation without knowing more, I think "the love of money" may have tempted him to give up things he wishes he has now and is still causing him problems. The love of money can make us do some strange things, even things that make us miserable.

Reactions: Enoch111

TeachMeThyWill

Aug 22, 2020
DC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think so too. While I can't say for sure -- while I can't judge the situation without knowing more, I think "the love of money" may have tempted him to give up things he wishes he has now and is still causing him problems. The love of money can make us do some strange things, even things that make us miserable.
__
haha. No Giuliano, I am not in love with money. It is only a tool that we use to lawfully live in this life(as opposed to stealing with Christ hates) and I need money to live just like anyone less. (Rent, Housing, Food, Transportation, Giving, Paying Taxes, etc)

"If a man does not provide for his own, especially those of his own household, he is worse than an unbeliever."

Money is a tool and I hope to get married one day and, just like any enterprise, you need to wisely handle your finances. In ancient Israel and man went to a daughter's father and paid a bride price to prove that he had the means to provide for her and their offspring. I don't make crazy amounts of money, its just the highest paying job I have ever had.

And you can't provide for a home off $12.00/hour like most of my old jobs paid, or else you gonna work 60 to 70 hours per week at multiple jobs to make ends meet. (Even then your marriage will suffer because you are at work all the time)

I choose not to be an unnecessary burden to the state(welfare), or the church(You know the type. Can work, but don't work.), or my family, I make it my Godly ambition to earn enough to provide for the family I hope to have in the future.

The church you attend earns money (through tithes and offerings and tax-breaks) and the church deploys that money for the good of the Gospel.

Raise a family is a financial enterprise as well as a spiritual one.

Jesus always talked about the proper place, and use, of money in the NT.

Worry not my brother. I don't worship it. I only use it to not be a burden.

Grace and Peace, brother.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Grace and Peace to all,

Any advice?
Welcome to the forum! I am so sorry you are being persecuted by these vessels of Satan....always remember Greater is He who is in you than He who is the world.
Paul also said to rejoice when you are persecuted for Christ's sake....you are earning many crowns in Heaven if you will endure to the end...the world is getting bolder and bolder in persecuting Christians....we must put on our Armor and fight the good fight of faith...DAILY....

Years ago God sent me to a business to put my application in and I was hired that day....6 months later I was promoted to assistant manager at one of their other locations....the manager was from a middle east country and he hated me. One day he called me at home and told me not to show up for work and that I was fired.....I said YOU CAN"T FIRE ME BECAUSE YOU DIDN"T HIRE ME (My Father did! :)..)........but I then said the owners will be here Monday and I will be there to discuss this in a meeting.
After I hung up the phone I prayed and said Father, I know you didn't send me here just to get fired...what is going on? He said read Psalm 109....and come Monday he will be fired and you will take his place. Come Monday, he got fired and I got promoted!:)

God takes care of His children....but you must be bold....represent Him in the power and authority that He is in you!

And finally, safety is your first priority, outside of God....if you believe you must look for other work then pray and ask Him to open a door and to guide your footsteps....be in His Will not yours. Whatever He desires of you be obedient....obedience is key to God's abundant blessings.
And remember.....when a man's ways are pleasing to Him, He will cause even his enemies to be at peace with you.

God Bless

P.S. Just curious, did you pray and ask God if this was where He wanted you to work? It is very important to acknowledge Him in all our ways and He will direct your paths.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Peace comes with repentance not theological constructs. Consider Joseph TMTW.....sold as a slave to Egypt by his own brothers....imprisoned unjustly while in Egypt for years. It was the school of humility that God took him through to prepare him for greater things. Moses also....destined to be the next Pharaoh yet he had to flee for his life because of a bad choice.....after forty years minding sheep God deemed him fit to lead a stiff necked multitude for another forty years......Yes, he who falls on the rock will be broken.....nobody likes being broken.....but, he on whom that rock falls will be crushed to powder!

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Not to discourage you, but Muslims can be better conversation than secular co-workers.

It is an opportunity to learn about their beliefs and find common ground. Also to correct their misunderstanding about Christian beliefs.

Perhaps you appear depressed, and that is why they invited you to mosque.

More likely your boss is just trying to get out of you all he can.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not to discourage you, but Muslims can be better conversation than secular co-workers.

It is an opportunity to learn about their beliefs and find common ground. Also to correct their misunderstanding about Christian beliefs.

Perhaps you appear depressed, and that is why they invited you to mosque.

More likely your boss is just trying to get out of you all he can.
I met a Muslim guy from Egypt once. I had only a few conversations with him. He said he was curious about it and was reading the Bible to learn more about Christianity. He told me about how a lot of the Christians in Egypt live in Alexandria. He said they never caused him any problems. He liked them. It made sad when the Muslim Brotherhood got power in Egypt since they weren't as tolerant; and I was glad when al-Sisi took power. People say he's a dictator, but to rule a country like that sometimes you have to be severe when people start to get intolerant. Otherwise different factions start fighting each other. I've had other Muslim friends.

People can act differently too depending on where they are. If Muslims are in the majority in a certain area, they're tempted to get pushier. The same is true for Christians too. If you in the minority, you aren't as apt to get pushy.

TeachMeThyWill

Aug 22, 2020
DC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! I am so sorry you are being persecuted by these vessels of Satan....always remember Greater is He who is in you than He who is the world.
Paul also said to rejoice when you are persecuted for Christ's sake....you are earning many crowns in Heaven if you will endure to the end...the world is getting bolder and bolder in persecuting Christians....we must put on our Armor and fight the good fight of faith...DAILY....

Years ago God sent me to a business to put my application in and I was hired that day....6 months later I was promoted to assistant manager at one of their other locations....the manager was from a middle east country and he hated me. One day he called me at home and told me not to show up for work and that I was fired.....I said YOU CAN"T FIRE ME BECAUSE YOU DIDN"T HIRE ME (My Father did! :)..)........but I then said the owners will be here Monday and I will be there to discuss this in a meeting.
After I hung up the phone I prayed and said Father, I know you didn't send me here just to get fired...what is going on? He said read Psalm 109....and come Monday he will be fired and you will take his place. Come Monday, he got fired and I got promoted!:)

God takes care of His children....but you must be bold....represent Him in the power and authority that He is in you!

And finally, safety is your first priority, outside of God....if you believe you must look for other work then pray and ask Him to open a door and to guide your footsteps....be in His Will not yours. Whatever He desires of you be obedient....obedience is key to God's abundant blessings.
And remember.....when a man's ways are pleasing to Him, He will cause even his enemies to be at peace with you.

God Bless

P.S. Just curious, did you pray and ask God if this was where He wanted you to work? It is very important to acknowledge Him in all our ways and He will direct your paths.
Thanks "Heart". I have asked Him for a new job and even a new city, but you are right, His will be done. I just know that if I am to leave, I must reskill so that I may earn enough to live independently and not be a burden to the church("go to the ant you sluggard"), the government("render to Caesar what is Caesar's), or my family("If a man does not provide for his own, especially those of his own household he as denied the faith."). See, my this is a union job so my income is based on union contracts and time on the job. I'm not, say, a lawyer, or an accountant, or a professional of that type that I can just leave and negotiate a new salary at a new company with a new culture. I am stuck because of my lack of professional skills. (You have to bring real value to be of marketable use. This is why I am reskilling.)

Yet, I will continue to seek Him on this and ask for His guidance. I just know that I will NOT start a family or even being motivated to court a single Christian woman if I stay here. The place is just that sickening. The burden is just that great.

Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

whitemorning

Nov 18, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Grace and Peace to all,

Any advice?
It's an interesting story, it's interesting to know how you are now, because it's been a couple of years

Angel Faith

Nov 17, 2022
Left Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Grace and Peace to all,

Any advice?
I suggest an attorney.
You're being harrassed because you are Christian.

Did you call the police when you found your car vandalized?
Does the workplace parking lot have security cameras?

Reactions: whitemorning