I regret getting into IT...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jabre

Dec 22, 2021
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did an IT class in High School, and it was a nightmare. it was fun sometimes, like the time i disassembled and reassembled a computer, or the big feast we had that one time, or that time we installed old OSes on a computer, but it wasn't fun most of the time. I honestly wish i took up the culinary arts class instead.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did an IT class in High School, and it was a nightmare. it was fun sometimes, like the time i disassembled and reassembled a computer, or the big feast we had that one time, or that time we installed old OSes on a computer, but it wasn't fun most of the time. I honestly wish i took up the culinary arts class instead.

I have a two year IT degree that I don't use.

But I don't regret it. It taught me to be a self-teacher and how to problem-solve.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you still take a culinary arts class? It’s no fun doing something you hate.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are young yet. I was adamant I was going to be a choir director. Wanted to since I was 6. Got into an expensive university for a semester and realized though I loved to sing, directing isn't what I am happy at. It takes time and money, but never be afraid to stop and follow your dreams.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are young yet. I was adamant I was going to be a choir director. Wanted to since I was 6. Got into an expensive university for a semester and realized though I loved to sing, directing isn't what I am happy at. It takes time and money, but never be afraid to stop and follow your dreams.
My sister got a 4-year degree in the medical technology field. She lasted less than a year into her internship after she graduated when she realized didn't want to do med-tech for the rest of her life. (Working with sick children can tear up your heart.) Daddy was not happy about 4 years of tuition and room and board going down the drain, but he supported her decision. She had a much happier career as a mother (and now grandmother) and part-time technical writer.

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a two year IT degree that I don't use.

But I don't regret it. It taught me to be a self-teacher and how to problem-solve.
Some of the most important lessons aren't the ones in the textbooks.

I have to tell this story. It's not mine; it belongs to the prof who taught my motors and generators lab in college. He used to work for General Electric. GE sent him out of town on some extended assignment. Back home, his son was going to have his Eagle Scout ceremony, and Dr. C. called his manager and asked if he could fly back home to attend. Boss said he needed to stay there until he finished the assignment. He told his boss, "You need to understand something. GE doesn't own me. I belong to Jesus Christ. I only work for GE." Pretty soon he was a university professor and no longer working for GE.

I never had to work with electric motors, and I don't remember a thing about electrical generators. But 40 years later, I remember what was REALLY important that was taught in that class.

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remember my first manager telling me, "Lambano, 80% of this job you're going to hate, but you do it to get to 20% that you love". Many times I wondered when I'm going to get to that 20%.

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, IT is not for everyone.
Before covid, we had summer interns who would join us for 3 months. There was a girl who worked with us for a summer. After being exposed to day to day stuff she asked us “is this what IT is really like”. It’s a lot worse - we told her.
She never came back and switched her career to nursing.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My sister got a 4-year degree in the medical technology field. She lasted less than a year into her internship after she graduated when she realized didn't want to do med-tech for the rest of her life. (Working with sick children can tear up your heart.) Daddy was not happy about 4 years of tuition and room and board going down the drain, but he supported her decision. She had a much happier career as a mother (and now grandmother) and part-time technical writer.
Hi @Lambano ; sounds like your sister's work as a technical writer did in the end relate somewhat to the subject of her study. God bless her family....

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now I'm just a mom, but when I was in my school my teacher taught me about "shadow jobs."

The shadow job being working towards the thing you want to do, while you do the thing you have to do.

When my boy was about 8, I remember he said "When I'm all done with school and I get a job, but not the one I wanted..." Lol

Seems most people start that way.

Reactions: Wynona

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I studied Microsoft IT and I didn't like it. It's proprietary to Microsoft and their OS which changes every year. I had another technical job that I liked more and did that instead up until I couldn't work anymore.

Reactions: Wynona

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I studied Microsoft IT and I didn't like it. It's proprietary to Microsoft and their OS which changes every year. I had another technical job that I liked more and did that instead up until I couldn't work anymore.
@devin553344 My wife keeps up with computer developments more than me. It's helpful how a lot of stuff that was very involved has now been reduced to doability from the house.

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mantis Life is so short, right....?
Yes for sure, most people work jobs they hate. To the OP I say really think about what you enjoy doing and pursue that if you can make a living at it. I am 45 and I listened to what my parents said I should do instead of doing what I wanted to do. I regret that. We work to live, not live to work. Money is an evil necessity and I hate it. God knows your heart. Pray for him to guide you to the career he wants you to have.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Now I'm just a mom, but when I was in my school my teacher taught me about "shadow jobs."

The shadow job being working towards the thing you want to do, while you do the thing you have to do.

When my boy was about 8, I remember he said "When I'm all done with school and I get a job, but not the one I wanted..." Lol

Seems most people start that way.
@FluffyYellowDuck I guess life is often like that as regards 'shadow jobs'/ shadow aspirations and plans that eventually dove-tail together...

Reactions: DuckieLady

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes for sure, most people work jobs they hate. To the OP I say really think about what you enjoy doing and pursue that if you can make a living at it. I am 45 and I listened to what my parents said I should do instead of doing what I wanted to do. I regret that. We work to live, not live to work. Money is an evil necessity and I hate it. God knows your heart. Pray for him to guide you to the career he wants you to have.
@Mantis When ppl are young, it seems that on the one hand the range of choices can be bigger; but also that the amount of wisdom to do with the choices what is suitable and God-honoring and practical needs to be learned. You're right that God's gracious guidance is so necessary....

Reactions: Mantis

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now let me talk to you guys how much I love IT. (Audience falls asleep)
I knew I was going to be involved with computers since I was 15 years old and saw Msdos with my own eyes. Then I took some courses and the teacher used to hate me because I was playing the first version of Prince Of Persia on Pc. She hated it because she had zipped the file and hidden it into a directory … which I knew how to get into :).
So that’s how the journey started. It’s been 20+ years now and I still love dealing with computers and people who use them.
This month I have an adobe project I gotta roll out to 10K users so I’m testing all the scenarios in virtual machines.
Should be done by February.
I can tell you more but I don’t want to bore you to death. :D

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now let me talk to you guys how much I love IT. (Audience falls asleep)
I knew I was going to be involved with computers since I was 15 years old and saw Msdos with my own eyes. Then I took some courses and the teacher used to hate me because I was playing the first version of Prince Of Persia on Pc. She hated it because she had zipped the file and hidden it into a directory … which I knew how to get into :).
So that’s how the journey started. It’s been 20+ years now and I still love dealing with computers and people who use them.
This month I have an adobe project I gotta roll out to 10K users so I’m testing all the scenarios in virtual machines.
Should be done by February.
I can tell you more but I don’t want to bore you to death. :D
I used to love prince of persia. That was one of my favorite games. You're teacher gets credit for that in my book. Hidden treasures!