1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I think therfore I am

Discussion in 'NonChristian Help Forum' started by FatalMoves, Feb 15, 2019.

1. FatalMoves

FatalMoves Active Member

Faith:
    Agnostic
    Australia
    I had this thought, which is open to criticism.

If I care only what other people think then how will I care about my own thinking.

I think this is a problem we can all identify with. We want people to measure up to our own ideas, so we scrutinise over all the thoughts they have. Rather than think about what we are thinking and change ourselves, we try to change the ideas of everyone else around us. If only they will change their thinking to suit my thinking I can continue the way I think.

"ByGrace" and bbyrd009 like this.
  2. Dave L

Dave L Guest

We want to change the way others think who harm people. And we want to change the way we think when we realize we have a problem. And we want to change the way others think about God when we know certain truths about him that others are missing out on. So I think all depends on an external standard that we and others conform to, or expect others to conform to. Called the golden rule. We know how we would like to be treated, so we should treat others that way too.

Acolyte and "ByGrace" like this.
  3. FatalMoves

FatalMoves Active Member

Faith:
    Agnostic
    Australia
    The golden rule

"Treat others the way you would like to be treated"

There's a flaw in this logic, can you see it?

What if you like to be treated in a way that other's wouldn't.

4. Dave L

Dave L Guest

Then you are crazy and an exception.

ScottA and "ByGrace" like this.
  5. FatalMoves

FatalMoves Active Member

Faith:
    Agnostic
    Australia
    Say I don't like birthdays or birthday presents, and I do not want people to celebrate that day or wish me a happy birthday. Should I treat my friends birthday in the same manner?

6. FatalMoves

FatalMoves Active Member

Faith:
    Agnostic
    Australia
    The new golden rule.

Treat others the way they want to be treated.

7. FatalMoves

FatalMoves Active Member

Faith:
    Agnostic
    Australia
    There's probably a flaw in that too.

Acolyte likes this.
  8. Dave L

Dave L Guest

You are probably lying in saying this. Everyone wants love and tokens of love.

9. FatalMoves

FatalMoves Active Member

Faith:
    Agnostic
    Australia
    In a pigs eye, I love missing my own birthday. I let it roll on over, I even forget my own age. I should be 45 but I think it's more 46.

"ByGrace" and bbyrd009 like this.
  10. FatalMoves

FatalMoves Active Member

Faith:
    Agnostic
    Australia
    Tokens of love? No thankyou.

11. Dave L

Dave L Guest

Jesus is right on the golden rule. You are twisted - evidently.

12. Dave L

Dave L Guest

But are you normal? Fat chance of that being the case...................

13. amadeus

amadeus Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    The key of course is one of those impossible things... for you and for me:

"Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." Matt 5:48

When we are perfect or even on the road to that real perfection, then we would be wanting to be treated the "right" way, which of course would be God's way. Then the "golden rule" would apply correctly [logically]. The problem with you and all who do not really know God being confused as to what is good and what is evil:

"Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!" Isaiah 5:20

Without God working in us, we will be confused and God is NOT the author of confusion.

"To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:" Col 1:27

Acolyte and bbyrd009 like this.
  14. bbyrd009

bbyrd009 Groper

Faith:
    Christian
    United States Minor Outlying Islands
    Good point A, obv (or not) "treat others as you would like to be treated" might easily encompass being empathetic to their beliefs whether we agree with them or not. I don't do birthdays either but I can still wish someone a Happy Birthday.

15. amadeus

amadeus Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    It comes back to your discussions here regarding "absolute truth". My take is we are to love absolute truth, which absolutely is Jesus, but we are to do this even though our vision of Jesus and God remains fuzzy [as through a glass darkly]. Too many it seems pay only mouth service to the glass darkly vision while actually it seems claim the perfection they deny as possible for any man in his flesh... even with God's help.

Have I sufficiently muddied the waters here? By the way, Happy Birthday, even if it is NOT your birthday.

Acolyte, "ByGrace" and bbyrd009 like this.
  16. bbyrd009

bbyrd009 Groper

Faith:
    Christian
    United States Minor Outlying Islands
    Unfort imo we usually omit the admission of our vision being fuzzy there, in fact lovers of AT seem to go the other way entirely, Dunning-Kruger Effect: Why Incompetent People Think They Are Superior, etc

Acolyte and amadeus like this.
  17. "ByGrace"

"ByGrace" Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada
    Not my brother...He hates his birthday...he feels fake...he has to smile and thanks people for gifts that he never ever wanted and wont ever use!!
    But, as @FatalMoves mentioned...he does "play the game" and goes all out for other peoples birthdays.

As for myself...I hate surprises ...I like to know , I am not a spontaneous person. But I have one daughter (57) who LOVES to be surprised and can spin on a dime and go the other way if someone asked her to go somewhere with them...I on the other hand would automatically say "no thank...maybe tomorrow".

So, I give my daughter surprises, just because 'she' likes 'em, while I hate 'em.

Acolyte, amadeus and bbyrd009 like this.
  18. Dave L

Dave L Guest

I think Jesus depicts "normal" run of the mill people when he says to love others as our own selves. So there are always some who don't fit the mold.

19. "ByGrace"

"ByGrace" Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada
    Haha!! birthdays in the bible seem to be negative ones...thinking of John Baptist losing his head on Herod's birthday!

And didn't Belshazzar the king made a great feast for his birthday when the hand of God wrote on the wall?

We do need to know how old we are when asked...but aren't birthdays really 'the worship of the old self man'? ;)

Acolyte, amadeus and bbyrd009 like this.
  20. Dave L

Dave L Guest

My wife and I just celebrated her 70th last night. And it was wonderful. We are amazed at how blessed we are as we approach geezer hood.

Acolyte and farouk like this.