If all of the Church is the Bride of Christ who are the guests?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 9
22 What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction,
23 and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He had prepared beforehand for glory,
24 even us whom He called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

Matthew 22
14 “For many are called, but few are chosen.”

The guests are the "chosen".

o

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Possibly what we are looking for, [or should be], is a Bride that is taken out of the Church. Those left could then be properly invited guests. So then what would be the final result for the guest? Salvation? What would be the final result for the Bride? Hmmm?

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just being virgin is not enough, is it? King Ahasuerus in seeking a new queen, brought together many virgins from all over his realm, but only one was chosen [Esther].

Then consider the parable of Jesus:

"Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps." Matt 25:1-4

"There are threescore queens, and fourscore concubines, and virgins without number.
My dove, my undefiled is but one; she is the only one of her mother, she is the choice one of her that bare her. The daughters saw her, and blessed her; yea, the queens and the concubines, and they praised her." Song of Solomon 6:8-9

Reactions: Mayflower

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is there also a distinction made here?

"And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God" Rom 12:2

Are the words, "good", "acceptable" and "perfect" speaking of three groups of people satisfying God's will in different measures?

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Go ye therefore into the highways, and as many as ye shall find, bid to the marriage.
So those servants went out into the highways, and gathered together all as many as they found, both bad and good: and the wedding was furnished with guests." Matt 22:9-10

That is a great question. Just as with the 10 virgins. Make sure you get a satisfactory answer.

Stranger

Reactions: Helen and amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a great question. Just as with the 10 virgins. Make sure you get a satisfactory answer.

Stranger
So far not a single taker! I have my own belief on it, but I was hoping someone else would help fill in the blanks. Still waiting...

Reactions: Helen

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So far not a single taker! I have my own belief on it, but I was hoping someone else would help fill in the blanks. Still waiting...

I have my own also. I am willing to wait and hear others and yours to.

Stranger

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I must be on his ignore list.
Please accept my most heartfelt apology. Sometimes my typing fingers follow my mouth which at times works without waiting until the head is completely ready to give me the correct [or any] words. I had intended to go back and address your post but I was distracted by another alert in the upper corner... I will take a look. Thanks for the nudge.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 9
22 What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction,
23 and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He had prepared beforehand for glory,

Matthew 22

o

In case you are on ignore I will venture this statement. The guests are still the guests. Not the bride. And (Rom. 9) is not dealing with guests, but the bride.

Stranger

Reactions: Armadillo

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 9

Matthew 22

o
Not an unreasonable thing. Consider the following verse which expands a bit the one you quoted:

"These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful." Rev 17:14

He called all who are believers in Christ today, both from among Jews and Gentiles. The chosen ones are the "guests" while the ones who are also faithful according to His standard would be the Bride. The Church could be both the guests and the Bride.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not an unreasonable thing. Consider the following verse which expands a bit the one you quoted:

"These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful." Rev 17:14

He called all who are believers in Christ today, both from among Jews and Gentiles. The chosen ones are the "guests" while the ones who are also faithful according to His standard would be the Bride. The Church could be both the guests and the Bride.

So, when you got married you sent your 'bride to be' an invitation to the wedding? I bet that went over well.

Stanger

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, when you got married you sent your bride to be an invitation to the wedding? I bet that went over well.

Stanger
Perhaps it is more like the situation with Esther. She was the One selected but many were invited [if that is the right word] from all over the realm.

There are many types and shadows in the OT which fit generally the real things depicted in the NT. But... you question is a good one. Do you have another explanation? Let us hear it by all means. I also would like to learn.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Go ye therefore into the highways, and as many as ye shall find, bid to the marriage.
So those servants went out into the highways, and gathered together all as many as they found, both bad and good: and the wedding was furnished with guests." Matt 22:9-10
great question. I also wonder about the city from God (in the book of the revelation) as well, with regard to those outside the gate and not permitted in (where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth.) Some would say that this refers to Hell (outside the gates) but a literal interpretation of this sort puts God's Holy city in the midst of Hell.
Personally, I think a spiritual meaning is most significant, but in the Old Testament scriptures the term "outer darkness" was used to describe what was outside the camp of Israel while traveling through the wilderness. People who became ritually unclean would sometimes have to move temporarily outside the camp, until they could be declared clean again by a priest. Consequently the passage may refer to the millennial kingdom in part in a literal way. Since scripture says that there will be births (infants at least) and deaths in the millennial kingdom, and a remnant of the nations as well as a restoration of Israel, there must be survivors that are compelled to become part of the kingdom as the kingdom of Christ will extend everywhere.
I can't imagine a person being unhappy with that, but the scripture indicates punishment for sin and rebellion as a promise during the millennial reign. The unclean may not enter the Holy City but remain under the authority of the king.
I think that in Jesus' parable, from Matthew chapter 22, the more significant point is found in the wedding garments themselves. What does the wedding garment represent? I see garments in scripture, starting in the book of Genesis, as representing a covering for sin. According to scripture, the only effective and permanent cover for our sin is the righteousness of God imputed to us for our faith in Christ. I'm inclined to believe that the wedding garments represent a faith in the wedding (they come prepared for a wedding just as we are to be prepared for Christ's return.) Whatever the specifics might be, the contrast was with those who were invited, and for nearly 2000 years, those that were invited and declined, have been harassed and pursued, slandered, forced into ghettos, rounded up and murdered, despised by all. So, I suppose the question to ask is "do we all have on our wedding garments?"

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The parable of the Wheat and Tares teaches that the wheat (saved) and the tares (unsaved) were allowed to worship (grow) together in a church environment.

Those who are saved (wheat) are also called ”believers,” “saints,” “elect,” etc., which consists of the “Bride of Christ.”

The call of invitation to the Wedding Feast is to the whole world but only a few will “hear” and be chosen as per Matthew 22:14.

Those who cannot “see” this teaching will be a problem, indeed. The guests are the chosen!

To God Be The Glory

Reactions: FHII and amadeus

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps it is more like the situation with Esther. She was the One selected but many were invited [if that is the right word] from all over the realm.

There are many types and shadows in the OT which fit generally the real things depicted in the NT. But... you question is a good one. Do you have another explanation? Let us hear it by all means. I also would like to learn.

I will but too tired this evening. In the morning .

Stranger

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

breathofdesire

Sep 12, 2017
Queensland
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
All in all, it's about God calling anyone who will hear, since those who were personally invited didn't attend.

The guests are just more of us.

Reactions: FHII and amadeus

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Esther was chosen over all the others that were invited because she listened to Hegai. Hegai knew what the King wanted, he knew the King's heart better than anyone and he prepared Esther for the King and she did everything he told her to do.

King Xerxes is God who chooses you, your husband.
Hegai, the King's eunuch, is the Holy Spirit.
Esther is the church, the Bride of Christ.

There is the shadow of God in Hegai, Hegai prepared Esther and the Holy Spirit prepares you and makes you approved. Esther couldn't make the King want her and you can't make God want you and just as we are a reflection of the Holy Spirit, Esther was a reflection of Hegai.