If there's something in your life, that you always *do*, what would it be like, if you did it less? (thought experiment)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi there,

So this is a stretching exercise, for your mind. There is something in our lives, that we always "do". I tend to do things as a "rule" if I can; other people might try to "perfect" something or be "innocent" in a certain way or be "pure" more and more. All these things are good, until they rule us! Neither is it a good thing, if we try to stop doing it, for no other reason than we want to be better at everything. God wants us to be good at many things, but not everything - that is asking too much! Indeed if you can do something less, you will find that it makes way for other things.

So what is this thing that we do? It is a neurological habit, left over from our ancestors, who all had something they always did (Lord if it was in neglect, we forgive them, forgive us - in Your Name Amen). It just gets passed down from generation to generation, from Adam, to us. Adam sinned, and started doing something he always did, likewise Eve. Our Earthly parents, then, we attracted to doing things a certain way. The danger is that it comes to be a vice; we start to have no choice, but to keep doing this thing the same way. It's not meant to make you miserable, there is a way out.

The way out, is to stop for a moment, and work out "what exactly is it, that I have faith in, when I do this thing?" That may sound like a mouthful, but actually there is a simpler way to work it out: you just ask yourself "what would I not do in this way, if I was going to?" That should give you enough room to think about it. If you can identify that there is something that you could do less, you will start to perceive the limitations of always doing it, that way. This is where the Holy Spirit steps in, if you can master yourself enough to work out what your faith is, the Holy Spirit can then find you rest, in the way that you have come to learn what you have, but also for what you have. Remember that Jesus said "the Father prunes even that which has borne fruit, that it may develop more fruit" (from memory, the gospels).

In a way, then, it is like self-pruning yourself, just to make sure that what God is showing is really as good as it (the fruit) being from Him makes it. You can tell once you have begun to grow new fruit, that it was the right decision to make. It gives us power over growth pattern, but also brings us into a realer relationship with God, because ultimately we don't want to relate to Him, in the same way we always do. I am not saying we can necessarily "surprise" God, but that we can ask Him to allow us to be spontaneous, and in that sense, able to surprise Him, because He ceases to draw upon us from the dangers in this world and to appreciate the praise we have for Him. If God can give us room to surprise Him, we can surprise Him. This is what it is to grow in not only obedience but also diligence.

You may not like what you do often, or you might be slow to think that you do do anything often - the point we must learn here is that it is important to question. We will not reach Heaven, before we have come to understand ourselves in a greater degree, than when we started out. We must praise God for this - His Power is in it!

God bless.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Something I always do -> I examine worst case scenarios before acting.

What would it be like if I were to do it less -> I would become a worst case scenario statistic.

Reactions: Gottservant

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Something I always do -> I examine worst case scenarios before acting.

What would it be like if I were to do it less -> I would become a worst case scenario statistic.
Well, at least you looked at the possibility that things might change, even though you took the glass-half-empty approach.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Well, at least you looked at the possibility that things might change, even though you took the glass-half-empty approach.

Among other things, I’m a civil / environmental engineer. Solving complex engineering problems requires thinking that things will change. Changing things with the safety of human health and the environment in mind virtually necessitates having a glass half empty mindset. All engineers learn in the classroom to develop solutions and then add a factor of safety multiplier in their design calculations.

An example. We drive over bridges every day and don’t give it a second thought. Someone designed the bridge. He or she came up with a solution to bridge the gap, then added a factor of safety multiplier to the calculations. The bridge we drive across isn’t the absolute minimum design that will work. The factor of safety adds to the stability but drives up the cost. Safety is critical, but comes at a price. It’s a balancing act.

The mind of an engineer carries over into other - all other - aspects of living.

Worst case scenarios and factors of safety. Always on my mind, even subconsciously.

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Among other things, I’m a civil / environmental engineer.

[...]

Worst case scenarios and factors of safety. Always on my mind, even subconsciously.
And when it comes to God, does He give you a break from performing at your peak? Do you feel like he appreciates you?

Reactions: marks

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Just out of curiosity, I consulted the Zondervan NASB Exhaustive Concordance for every occurrence of the word “appreciate” in scripture. In the NASB, it occurs in only 1 passage of scripture -> 1 Thessalonians 5:12.

”But we request of you, brethren, that you appreciate those who diligently labor among you, and have charge over you in the Lord and give you instruction;”

”Appreciate” is something that man does. Is it something that God does?

Reactions: Gottservant

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
”Appreciate” is something that man does. Is it something that God does?
It's something Jesus does (and Jesus said, "if you have seen Me, you have seen the Father" gospels, from memory)

EDIT: to be correct, its something Jesus does, but also something God waits for.

Tomorrow

Aug 14, 2023
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If there's something in your life, that you always *do*, what would it be like, if you did it less? (thought experiment)​

Answer in order of questions above.

Work
Homeless

Reactions: marks