If You Believe Your Denomination Is...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you believe your denomination is teaching something that is closer to the truth than others, does that necessarily mean you are narrow-minded or elitist or, worse yet, look down on those of other faiths?
If God led you to that denomination, does the answer to the question posed matter to you?

It matters certainly if you have let your calling go to your own head causing it to swell in pride instead of you yielding all that you are and all that you have to Jesus, the one who is to be our Head. No man in our denominational or non-denominational assembly should be our head. That place belongs to Jesus.

"And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.
He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it." Matt 10:36-39

"O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps." Jerem 10:23

If God, on the other hand, did not lead you to that denomination, who did?

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If you believe your denomination is teaching something that is closer to the truth than others, does that necessarily mean you are narrow-minded or elitist or, worse yet, look down on those of other faiths?
No. It does not mean any of that. By the same token, every church must be constantly vigilant, as we see from the letters to the seven churches in Revelation.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No.
A person can believe that their beliefs are most correct, while still being respectful and treating others with kindness.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If God led you to that denomination, does the answer to the question posed matter to you?
I must admit this actually sounds a lot like what I'm kinda fishing for.
Why wouldn't it matter to me? I care about how other people feel and think.
No man in our denominal or non-denominal assembly should be our head. That place belongs to Jesus.
Okay... but I never suggested such a thing.

Reactions: Nancy

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Denomination are like tins of paint, what color do you choose to be. The only one Jesus has ever suggested was clothed in white. or teh longer you soak your self in red dye, the deeper the stain will go.

Reactions: marks

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@BarnyFife
Barney said:
Amadeus said:
Barney said:
I must admit this actually sounds a lot like what I'm kinda fishing for.
Why wouldn't it matter to me? I care about how other people feel and think.
So did Jesus my friend... care how people felt who were not in his immediate circle. Those mentioned here by John may not have been in the very best place, but Jesus seemingly did care about them...

"And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.
But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.
For he that is not against us is on our part." Mark 9:38-40

But among some people who may indeed be so "narrow minded or elitist or worse"... are there not likely to be at least a few who are able to keep a tight rein on their tongue. Maybe there an even smaller few who really in their heart care about those "other guys"

Catch anything not under the limit yet?

Amadeus said:
No man in our denominational or non-denominational assembly should be our head. That place belongs to Jesus.
Barney said:
Okay... but I never suggested such a thing
Glad to hear that. I guess I was testing the waters a bit...

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Most people arrive at a certain system of beliefs because they are exposed to it from other people. It takes a VERY educated and open minded person to remain open doctrinally in order to see that what has been taught is just one way of seeing things. It would seem that few indeed will remain "undecided" about anything regarding faith in Christ...seeing that believers are supposed to believe "something" fervently. So people tend to latch on to a particular set of beliefs in order to be a "believer.' Whatever sounds reasonable at the time will suffice usually. If someone remains unsure...they are made to feel that they are somewhat still "unbelievers." They may even pressure themselves in this way.

Beliefs and opinions are easily mixed together. Fear and unwillingness to dig deeper are also factors. And this leads to the multiplication of belief systems that are meant to prop up the idea that there is more security when one believes in something at least.

The end result is for people to distrust the beliefs of another because they are different from what one has accepted for oneself.

But where is the truth in all this?

If everyone can become convinced of any kind of doctrine...is it any wonder that people today are unable to "tolerate" or endure sound doctrine?

So then denominations are catering to a set of personal beliefs that are transferable to others. Taken together they would seem to confirm the individual's choice as being a valid one.

This has fractured the church to such a degree that unless a person's dogmatic beliefs line up perfectly...or near perfectly...with the beliefs of others...there can be no rapport..no connection. They who believe otherwise are seen as undesirable...even heretics.

And this is what the flesh does to the truth. It divides it and turns the truth on itself to create something very different from the purpose of God.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It matters certainly if you have let your calling go to your own head causing it to swell in pride instead of you yielding all that you are and all that you have to Jesus, the one who is to be our Head. No man in our denominational or non-denominational assembly should be our head. That place belongs to Jesus.

"And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.
He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it." Matt 10:36-39

"O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps." Jerem 10:23

If God, on the other hand, did not lead you to that denomination, who did?

Do you believe God sends some to certain Church's for "a season"? Maybe for lessons we might not even realize until down the road.

And, maybe it is NOT God sending people to certain Church's...I'm sure He is not sending His children to erroneous Church's...and I bet all of them would say that God sent them there...?

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Do you believe God sends some to certain Church's for "a season"? Maybe for lessons we might not even realize until down the road.

And, maybe it is NOT God sending people to certain Church's...I'm sure He is not sending His children to erroneous Church's...and I bet all of them would say that God sent them there...?
Had that happen to my dad, till he finally realized God was calling him out.

Come out of her my people.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Agreed. God will send us to another church so that we see the human pattern of beliefs. We can let go of a previous error by seeing that there are somay ways to get it wrong. Will we then turn to God? Or will we accept the new form of error and latch onto that in the same way we did last time?

We are very susceptible to deception and confusion. The conclusion we come to is premature if we take that to automatically mean that the new doctrinal preference we have is the be all and end all of dogmatic stances.

In the end what is our doctrinal acceptances doing for us? What are we becoming?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agreed. God will send us to another church so that we see the human pattern of beliefs. We can let go of a previous error by seeing that there are somay ways to get it wrong. Will we then turn to God? Or will we accept the new form of error and latch onto that in the same way we did last time?

We are very susceptible to deception and confusion. The conclusion we come to is premature if we take that to automatically mean that the new doctrinal preference we have is the be all and end all of dogmatic stances.

In the end what is our doctrinal acceptances doing for us? What are we becoming?

These are good questions.

"In the end what is our doctrinal acceptances doing for us? What are we becoming"?

"doctrinal acceptances"?
Could be blind leading the blind?

"What are we becoming"? I'd say pretty much the opposite of what we should be becoming. We're losing our cohesion...seems it's been that way more and more since day one. "Love of many has waxed cold..." The lions share of Christians have become "weary in well doing". "Lukewarm"...

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

No. I feel sorry for others that are not Traditional Christians, those who have walked away because they can not believe all of Christ words like "this is my Body" and this" is my Blood". Of course most everyone here hate me for one reason or another if it's not for my stance on mask it's hatred for my Traditional Christianity. sigh.

Reactions: BarneyFife

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No. I feel sorry for others that are not Traditional Christians, those who have walked away because they can not believe all of Christ words like "this is my Body" and this" is my Blood". Of course most everyone here hate me for one reason or another if it's not for my stance on mask it's hatred for my Traditional Christianity. sigh.
Why would that be, I would rather as Jesus does, that men would find and follow Him, but men love their traditions.

Reactions: MattMooradian

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, it just means you're following Sound Doctrine.

We are proclaiming what God says. God's Word says that Jesus, His Son, is the only way to everlasting life. People can bring an accusation against believers all they want but in reality they are not bringing it against us - but God.

So, the real question is, do you believe that God is narrow minded or an elitist?

John 15:18 "If the world hates you, understand that it hated Me first."

Last edited:
Reactions: BarneyFife

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Agree. How do you know where Jesus is working?
[MKJV] John 3:8
The Spirit breathes where Hedesires, and you hear His voice, but you do not know from where He comes, and where He goes; so is everyone who is born of the Spirit.

Christ doesnt need religion, men do, You know this bit

1cor6:15 Do you not know that your bodies are the members of Christ? Shall I then take the members of Christ and make them the members of a harlot? Let it not be!
16 Or do you not know that he being joined to a harlot is one body? For He says, The two shall be one flesh.
17 But he being joined to the Lord is one spirit.

All HE needs is people with Ears to hear and a little faith, but men love their religions.

[MKJV] Mark 7:7
However, they worship Me in vain, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men."

[MKJV] Acts 7:51
O stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears! You always resist the Holy Spirit. As your fathers did, so you do.

Reactions: amadeus