Removed Thread.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Adam

Nov 30, 2022
X
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The question is - are you being loving to other people? Project thoughts and words and actions that show love for others. People's minds are filled with all sorts of chaos and we can't always control what we think but we can try to control what we say. And if we say something that offends someone, we can try to make peace.

Adam

Nov 30, 2022
X
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But the problem doesn’t just stop with that. I have also have been having special trouble with those words in my brain. When I’m by myself, nothing is there to stop me. If I’m upset enough then those words come to my mouth. I can tell God I’m sorry, only I’m not sorry, because I’m aggravated with what is going on, that is effecting me, and I got no control over it. Then I start worrying about my salvation.
And, I know this feeling, this constant anxiety of whether you will be judged for every little thing- it isn't healthy. God is loving and understanding of our needs, so be at peace.

Reactions: Pearl

Adam

Nov 30, 2022
X
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Do you put your faith in Jesus? I assume the answer is yes. And are you always perfect in all you think say and act? I assume the answer is no. Well there is your answer. It's not just like that for you, it is like that with everyone. Nobody is perfect on this Earth. God works through weakness, he shows you your imperfections, to remind you why you need Him. Strive towards being perfect, even if you fall short, and when you do fail, just get back up and keep trying, that is all that anyone can ask of themselves

2 Corinthians 12
9 And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
As a rule, partially right most of the time is moral.

So if you are swearing but not all the time, its closer to moral and if you are speaking sense enough to be partially right, it is closer to moral.

Of course, in Proverbs it says "better to be condemned, than to not know what love is" (from memory) - so if you feel unloved and you swear, there is forgiveness that will help you love instead (instead of keeping doing that, for example).

Gospel Believer

Aug 2, 2019
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WARNING: It is safe to say that I only open a topic if something is bothering me. Usually it's bothering me really bad! In fact of the time, unless it's bothering me extremely bad, I won't open a discussion about it online. Because whenever I open up something online, it's like opening a can of worms. Discussions can go all over the place. And it's hard for me to keep up and decide on who is right and who is wrong. BUT this is something that has been bothering me for all my life. I am going to do the best I can to explain why. But please keep in mind, that I am forgetful, and often fail to include all the information that I should in my original post. When this happens, I will try to add more as needed. Thanks.

This link comes from a quick google search on the subject of swearing. These verses are obviously out of context, and I think the reader should be aware of that. Also I tend to gravitate to the NIV translation of the Bible. This is the ESV list. I'm sorry to tell you guys, that I won't read the KJV because I don't read good enough for it. Anyways please read the link first.

I was raised in a Christian family, so I was introduced to the Gospel at a very young age. I did the best I could with my understanding of it. Today I continue to try to live out my faith in Christ to save me. But as I've became deeper in Bible reading and life experiences, I feel that my life and Christianity in general has become a very milky and confusing system of sub beliefs.

With that being said, I want to tell you what is troubling me. My parents taught me that if you hear a person cussing then that means they are not saved because it is out of heart that the mouth speaks. (Matthew 12:34) The holy spirit comes inside and changes one’s heart. Therefor if cursing is coming out of your lips that means the holy spirit isn’t there, therefor you are probably not saved.

For a long long time, Christians were known to try and keep curse words from their lips. Sometimes Christians would use slang, or substitute words instead. In my family, even slang and most substitute words were also considered cursing.

This way of interpreting the Bible, has impacted me to my core, and it has caused me to be judgmental of those around me. It was extremely hard when I was around my school peers. Just about all of them, swore, or at least used slang words on a daily basis. Right now I’m trying to think back, to see, if I could recall anyone that I didn’t hear swear at least once in a while. I can’t think of anyone!

Back a long time ago, I didn’t need to worry about bad four letter words or even slang in Christian music. It didn’t matter the style/genre, Christian artists knew they couldn’t get by with cussing in their songs. I hate to say it, but now days I have come across Christian artists that are dropping the f bomb and s bomb etc. I have also recently come across a Pastor who dropped the s bomb and f bomb. It really makes me wonder what is going on?

But the problem doesn’t just stop with that. I have also have been having special trouble with those words in my brain. When I’m by myself, nothing is there to stop me. If I’m upset enough then those words come to my mouth. I can tell God I’m sorry, only I’m not sorry, because I’m aggravated with what is going on, that is effecting me, and I got no control over it. Then I start worrying about my salvation.

If cursing is not an indication of someone’s salvation, then what is? How can we tell who is saved who isn’t? How on earth do we do this without being too judgmental?

If you are lucky enough to get that cursing under control, that is great! Then you can start working on “lustful thoughts” because Jesus said that that was equal to Adultery and we all know that Adulterers go to Hell, right?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think some of you might be misunderstanding. I'm not saying that my parents believe that the sin of cursing will send someone to hell, but rather a person who curses is an indication that they don't have the holy spirit dwelling inside of them. Which means they aren't saved. It's like sneezing because your infected with something bad. A person who doesn't sneeze is because they aren't infected. They are clean. That is what the spirit of God does to a person who put their faith in Jesus. God, Jesus. or the Holy Spirit, It cleans them up, therefor nothing bad comes out their mouth. I'm not all trying to say with a 100% certainty that my parents are correct. But I understand the logic behind it.
AlwaysOnAJourney,

It has been in the past that man has been commanded to kill. We know this from the Old Testament. God also has killed. Killing is a physical act of cursing.

Divination and cursing has been spoken against in the bible. But vocalizing a curse is similar to cursing scripturally.

We shouldn't judge people for cursing audibly. We also should refrain from cursing audibly. It does not fit with a Christian practicing love.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can answer because I can relate to your experience. I was raised up in the Christian church. I never swore. My parents never swore.

But in my adolescence I felt weird and outside of society, and so I caved to sin and began to hang out with sinners. I had to learn to swear.

That being said, let me say, 1st of all, that swearing is not a violation of "using God's name in vain." To use God's name in vain is to act like you're a good Christian when you're really not. It's pretending to represent God when you're really not. That could be swearing, but it is not really the same thing.

People swear by using language they've learned in their little circles. Using Christ's name is not a matter of offence so much as the frustration of hitting your thumb with a hammer, or something like that! ;)

So yes, many who swear may indicate their unsaved status. But for those who are truly Christians and have acquired the language of "frustration," cursing is not really so deep. In fact, as swearing becomes more cultural it stops being a religious offence. It is just communication.

That being said, we are told not to do things that offends brothers and sisters in the Lord. Knowing that using curse words offends them we should restrain ourselves from using those words. We're to pursue peace with all, if possible.

I wouldn't let judgmental people condemn you if a curse word slips out now and then. It happens to me, and I refuse to get under condemnation from the Enemy. I just go back trying to be loving and respectable, and to maintain some discipline over my mouth, which James said is extremely hard to do.

Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Adam

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James 3
King James Version
3 My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation.

2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.

3 Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body.

4 Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth.

5 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!

6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.

7 For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind:

8 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.

9 Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.

10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.

11 Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?

12 Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh.

13 Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom.

14 But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth.

15 This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish.

16 For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.

17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.

18 A

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You too? Me too!

We're still children with a lot of growing up to do.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cussin' is one of my favorite subjects.

I was in Korea on a business trip. I had Sunday off and was just wandering around Seoul, a stranger in a strange land taking in the sights and the sounds of a new country. There was a concert going on at the stadium. The lady singer would sing a song or two, then go into some kind of a speech between sets. I know only about 5 words in Korean, so I have no idea what the songs or the speeches were about. But I could tell from the emotional tone that it was some kind of a rant. Suddenly I hear some English words I know all too well - those words that crudely refer to sexual intercourse and feces and a desire for the Almighty to condemn someone or something to the fires. Later, I asked my host about it. Mr. Lee was a Christian and had been on extended assignment in the US and was very fluent in colloquial American English. He told me that Korean does not have the concept of taboo words, so those who are bilingual use the English ones. English is apparently a great language for cussing.

So in that respect, the actual words are culturally relative - they're only bad because our culture once defined them as taboo. Now our culture considers different words taboo. A great example is the KJV version 2 Kings 18:27, whose word for "urine" I can't use on this site. It's not the words themselves; it's what's in our hearts that needs to change.

Repentance isn't the change itself; repentance is when we realize we need to change.

Trusting that God is patient with you, please be patient with your brothers and sisters. Trust that God is still working on them too.

Last edited:

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WARNING: It is safe to say that I only open a topic if something is bothering me. Usually it's bothering me really bad! In fact of the time, unless it's bothering me extremely bad, I won't open a discussion about it online. Because whenever I open up something online, it's like opening a can of worms. Discussions can go all over the place. And it's hard for me to keep up and decide on who is right and who is wrong. BUT this is something that has been bothering me for all my life. I am going to do the best I can to explain why. But please keep in mind, that I am forgetful, and often fail to include all the information that I should in my original post. When this happens, I will try to add more as needed. Thanks.

This link comes from a quick google search on the subject of swearing. These verses are obviously out of context, and I think the reader should be aware of that. Also I tend to gravitate to the NIV translation of the Bible. This is the ESV list. I'm sorry to tell you guys, that I won't read the KJV because I don't read good enough for it. Anyways please read the link first.

I was raised in a Christian family, so I was introduced to the Gospel at a very young age. I did the best I could with my understanding of it. Today I continue to try to live out my faith in Christ to save me. But as I've became deeper in Bible reading and life experiences, I feel that my life and Christianity in general has become a very milky and confusing system of sub beliefs.

With that being said, I want to tell you what is troubling me. My parents taught me that if you hear a person cussing then that means they are not saved because it is out of heart that the mouth speaks. (Matthew 12:34) The holy spirit comes inside and changes one’s heart. Therefor if cursing is coming out of your lips that means the holy spirit isn’t there, therefor you are probably not saved.

For a long long time, Christians were known to try and keep curse words from their lips. Sometimes Christians would use slang, or substitute words instead. In my family, even slang and most substitute words were also considered cursing.

This way of interpreting the Bible, has impacted me to my core, and it has caused me to be judgmental of those around me. It was extremely hard when I was around my school peers. Just about all of them, swore, or at least used slang words on a daily basis. Right now I’m trying to think back, to see, if I could recall anyone that I didn’t hear swear at least once in a while. I can’t think of anyone!

Back a long time ago, I didn’t need to worry about bad four letter words or even slang in Christian music. It didn’t matter the style/genre, Christian artists knew they couldn’t get by with cussing in their songs. I hate to say it, but now days I have come across Christian artists that are dropping the f bomb and s bomb etc. I have also recently come across a Pastor who dropped the s bomb and f bomb. It really makes me wonder what is going on?

If cursing is not an indication of someone’s salvation, then what is? How can we tell who is saved who isn’t? How on earth do we do this without being too judgmental?
But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.

For the sin of their mouth and the words of their lips let them even be taken in their pride: and for cursing and lying which they speak.

Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.

Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

What I am seeing here is a condemnation of any words, that are the result of a wrong spirit, and certainly not proceeding from Jesus within us.

The last Scripture isn't even necessarily talking about cursing, but of bad communication that is not of God, such as lying, false accusation, false reports, false teaching, etc... Notice, Scripture here is speaking of ministry.

My point is, there is a vast difference between letting some words or even gestures 'slip' at certain moments, that were natural in our old lives, versus showing a complete lack of grace and rule in the Spirit of God.

Afterall, there are times when a curse word flies in the midst of a good joke or funny event.

So, I say it's not just the word itself, but the spirit behind it, and it's effect on us and others. Scripture says bastard and dumb ass, and God is not sinning.

However, the bastardizing of such words, has made something unclean by word alone, that which was not unclean of itself.

In the end, if I say or do anything I am convicted for, I just ask Jesus to forgiven me and move on.

Of course, some things don't quite as easily move on without some serious godly sorrow and repentance, such as adultery, thieving, vile cursings and blasphemies, etc...

From Scripture, I would say there is a difference between saying an unacceptable word, and a foul spirit.

Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

Filthiness of the flesh proceeds from filthiness of the spirit.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

360watt

Jun 6, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

It is hard to tell often who is converted and who isn't.

The fruit of the Holy Spirit indwelling someone will be there at stages in a saved person's life. But sometimes you might catch them in a sinful time period or state.. because they still have a sin nature.

So something that is changed in their spirit may not be visible on the outside to someone seeing them.

I think the way to know would be asking their testimony. John 3:16 and Romans 10:9-10..

If they believe Jesus is God..that He died and rose again.. and that by believing they have been given eternal life. If they are sure of this.. then it's safe to assume conversion.

The thing is though.. the majority of posters in this forum are probably high internet users.

High internet use.. most probably there is also significant porn watching among these posters. Even for believers.

Does that mean all those people with issues of porn watching aren't saved ? No!

Maybe some aren't.. but when Jesus gives eternal life.. it's a free gift. No strings on it. No requirements to keep it.

Jesus keeps people saved.. people don't keep themselves saved.. they can't!

Now.. because a converted person has the Holy Spirit guiding and directing them.. then if they do get into swearing and porn or other sin... they will be disciplined.

If not disciplined by their local church.. as per Matt 18 process.. the Holy Spirit will. Because He must deal with the sin in a believers life.

But this doesn't mean eternal salvation is undone for the believer in sin. It means a distant relationship from Jesus and probably from their church, family and friends.

Jesus may even bring them home to discontinue their sin.

But He isn't going to remove His indwelling thru the Holy Spirit.

Reactions: Gospel Believer

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We are human and sometimes frustration causes us to say things as an expression of that emotion, often as not much will depend on your environment , background and the learned responses. I grew up in a non Christian environment, mum and dad swore quite a lot. When I came to faith at the age of 23 Something inside me did change and I stopped swearing without even thinking about it, but if something really makes me angry the old words will come out of my mouth !
Now my youngest son swore quite a lot ( his father was not a believer and swore, so he grew up hearing it all the time ) He came to faith last year, a real work of the Holy Spirit as he was an atheist, however he still swears , but has automatically stopped using ‘ Oh God ‘ or ‘ Jesus Christ ‘ in the way he use to…..yet I see God working in his life all the time and changing him bit by bit.
Obviously cussing is not the best thing to do, but we are all a work in progress and the Lord deals with our old ways within different time frames.
I heard a sermon once about cussing/ swearing and the minister relayed that Christians express inner frustrations using different words, but it doesn’t change the wrong attitudes that motivate the expression in the first place - I wish I had kept the notes as it explained it in more detail x
Rita

Gospel Believer

Aug 2, 2019
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are human and sometimes frustration causes us to say things as an expression of that emotion, often as not much will depend on your environment , background and the learned responses. I grew up in a non Christian environment, mum and dad swore quite a lot. When I came to faith at the age of 23 Something inside me did change and I stopped swearing without even thinking about it, but if something really makes me angry the old words will come out of my mouth !
Now my youngest son swore quite a lot ( his father was not a believer and swore, so he grew up hearing it all the time ) He came to faith last year, a real work of the Holy Spirit as he was an atheist, however he still swears , but has automatically stopped using ‘ Oh God ‘ or ‘ Jesus Christ ‘ in the way he use to…..yet I see God working in his life all the time and changing him bit by bit.
Obviously cussing is not the best thing to do, but we are all a work in progress and the Lord deals with our old ways within different time frames.
I heard a sermon once about cussing/ swearing and the minister relayed that Christians express inner frustrations using different words, but it doesn’t change the wrong attitudes that motivate the expression in the first place - I wish I had kept the notes as it explained it in more detail x
Rita

Interesting post and I know what you are talking about..........I know some Believers that would N eVER use the “ F-Bomb” yet every other Friggin’ Word out of their Friggin ‘ mouths is the word” Friggin’”....Lol...

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting post and I know what you are talking about..........I know some Believers that would N eVER use the “ F-Bomb” yet every other Friggin’ Word out of their Friggin ‘ mouths is the word” Friggin’”....Lol...
Lol, that was the gist of the sermon - heard it years ago but it kind of stuck in my head.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rejecting Jesus as your Lord and Savior is the ONLY sin that sends you to hell!!
John 3:18 - He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Reactions: Gospel Believer

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
My old mate Box head turned up at my place and talking under the house with me and my 8yo brother came down the steeps to listen for a bit, took no regard to baby bro was listening in, until box head left and baby bro said to me boy that bloke every 2ed word was a sware word ! He was impressed that such was possible !

Now Old Box head he is a good bloke, but he just comes from out in the sticks and does not talk much to anyone. even in school he would only grunt and make noises, not even look at the teacher if was being roused on, Look at me when
I am talking to ya ? Response was I can see ya ! He never got the cane at school he was Jewish and really wealthy family, to step on him would be like stepping on a death Adder. even the 3rd richest man in Town had a chop at him and when he found out who box head was soon changed his tune directly.

But box head never did anything wrong by anyone, not out of malice. but always was a cranky bloke, but he is not like that anymore Not swearing much at all nowadays. but if you stood on him the fangs would come out I am sure.

It's not the words at all, it's the actions or intent to do wrong that count as a Sin truly.

One may come across as like some Plant, sharp and threating to look out for not to come across, but then again Gimpy Gimpy looks like something you could use as paper but you will never forget that experience ever !

Some people work in hell conditions that would have a Saint ranting and raving as well I am sure. but most would never do such a job because it's seen as beneath them ?

It does not bother me what people say, but it's what their intentions are, that I look out for to be sure to be sure !

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The language police really cleaned up Acts 8:20 in almost every translation. What the great St. Peter literally said in the Greek is:

Πέτρος δὲ εἶπεν πρὸς αὐτόν τὸ ἀργύριόν σου σὺν σοὶ εἴη εἰς ἀπώλειαν
But Peter said to him, "May your silver and you together go into ἀπώλεια!"

"Apoleia", the Septuagint translation of the Hebrew "Abaddon", the post-mortem place of Destruction; see Psalm 88:11. So, a better translation would be:

But Peter said to him, "You and your money go to hell together!"

Oh, my.

That's not a very nice thing to say.