If you have ADHD/ADD, what has helped you?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK I'm really flighty and inconsistent. Like 99.92384% sure I have ADHD and so were all of my teachers.

I'm trying to get organized though and keep it together. The only thing that has worked for me so far is writing down my to do list on an index card and setting a timer. And Ashwagandha was the BEST, but I can't afford it.

I decided it's time to get this handled, so I'm getting a smartphone again because moving back and forth from computer to flip phone is hard and I get busy, I'm allowing coffee back into my life. But I'm not good with organization apps or alarms because I just swipe them and ignore all of my alerts after the first day. I make dozens of weekly and daily plans and then I ignore all of those, too.

The thought of consistently following a daily schedule is ... not possible in my perspective. I'm not good with time blocking, either.

I'm looking at bullet journaling and Marie Kondo because people on the internet said it would help, but I'm not going to sit down and thank my place and talk to my clothes because they are inanimate objects... That doesn't do anything.

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What exactly do people mean when the say those things...ADD...ADHD...?.

My parents took me to see a shrink when I was a kid, because I was hyper active and I was always the class clown and I couldn't sit still.

Looking back I see how my behavior was probably a result of childhood trauma (abusive home life).

But, I'm pretty smart too (I guess) so I knew how to answer the shrink so I wouldn't get any unwanted attention...

So, I never was diagnosed or prescribed meds. Or anything like that, but I did begin to use other street level substances at an early age and I've wondered if it was what's called self-medicating.

Anyways, I've come to the understanding that I'm a born artist and adreneline junky...like I like to live on the edge and when I fought wildland fire I was in my element.

So, I believe you are an artist too, so you are blessed with some extra oomf, so maybe it's not a matter of trying to conform to certain societal expectations, but rather to find alternate channels of expression wherein our talents and abilities are used for Kingdom Work!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What exactly do people mean when the say those things...ADD...ADHD...?.

My parents took me to see a shrink when I was a kid, because I was hyper active and I was always the class clown and I couldn't sit still.

Looking back I see how my behavior was probably a result of childhood trauma (abusive home life).

But, I'm pretty smart too (I guess) so I knew how to answer the shrink so I wouldn't get any unwanted attention...

So, I never was diagnosed or prescribed meds. Or anything like that, but I did begin to use other street level substances at an early age and I've wondered if it was what's called self-medicating.

Anyways, I've come to the understanding that I'm a born artist and adreneline junky...like I like to live on the edge and when I fought wildland fire I was in my element.

So, I believe you are an artist too, so you are blessed with some extra oomf, so maybe it's not a matter of trying to conform to certain societal expectations, but rather to find alternate channels of expression wherein our talents and abilities are used for Kingdom Work!

I'm quiet on the outside but on the inside my brain is ALL over the place! You kind of get lost in your own head, zero sense of time, struggles with executive functioning, and daydreaming happens a lot. It's interfered with me getting my license. I also got my tire stuck on a driving lawn mower. Easily distracted. Really living on a moment to moment basis. Can't really handle thinking about the future because you're so stuck in "right now." Rejection sensitivity dysphoria is part of it for everyone. (Extra hurt from rejection and blaming yourself.) Moving from one thing to the next and multiple interests and not really finishing any of them seems to be part of it for me.

One of my stepbrothers nearly died from medical toxicity from ADHD medications and now he's permanently brain damaged, so my parents were pretty adament about no drugs. They did the same thing to my other brother and he had a seizure from it and got a concussion. I chose ashwagandha because it was natural and it didn't have any side effects. It made SUCH a difference.

ADHD people will self-medicate usually with nicotine because it's a natural stimulate and it relieves a lot of the symptoms. It's not a good answer though.

I don't know if I would consider myself an artist! But I might be biased because I had a bad day once so I didn't like any reminders of the art world, so I really started banning any possibility of it being around me and really started despising pretty much all of them. It's a bigger trigger, so that's why I haven't drawn or painted anything in about 4-5 years. Maybe that's part of the rejection sensitivity dysphoria. I don't know.

Reactions: Tone

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm quiet on the outside but on the inside my brain is ALL over the place! You kind of get lost in your own head, zero sense of time, struggles with executive functioning, and daydreaming happens a lot. It's interfered with me getting my license. I also got my tire stuck on a driving lawn mower. Easily distracted. Really living on a moment to moment basis. Can't really handle thinking about the future because you're so stuck in "right now." Rejection sensitivity dysphoria is part of it for everyone. (Extra hurt from rejection and blaming yourself.) Moving from one thing to the next and multiple interests and not really finishing any of them seems to be part of it for me.

One of my stepbrothers nearly died from medical toxicity from ADHD medications and now he's permanently brain damaged, so my parents were pretty adament about no drugs. They did the same thing to my other brother and he had a seizure from it and got a concussion. I chose ashwagandha because it was natural and it didn't have any side effects. It made SUCH a difference.

ADHD people will self-medicate usually with nicotine because it's a natural stimulate and it relieves a lot of the symptoms. It's not a good answer though.

I don't know if I would consider myself an artist! But I might be biased because I had a bad day once so I didn't like any reminders of the art world, so I really started banning any possibility of it being around me and really started despising pretty much all of them. It's a bigger trigger, so that's why I haven't drawn or painted anything in about 4-5 years. Maybe that's part of the rejection sensitivity dysphoria. I don't know.

Maybe you're an extrovert trapped in an introvertic disposition due to some trauma?

I use these terms, because they are so prevalent in today's society, but I really don't like to, because I feel like they lock one into some static mode of existence...

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We can't hide our gifts, talents, and abilities for fear...

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh yeah, music helps me focus.

I've found that drumming on...whatever...while studying helps me to balance out all the other streams flowing through the undercurrent of my subconscious...

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe you're an extrovert trapped in an introvertic disposition due to some trauma?

I use these terms, because they are so prevalent in today's society, but I really don't like to, because I feel like they lock one into some static mode of existence...
I don't know! :) Maybe. I was really extroverted as a teenager. I was all over the place.
Oh yeah, music helps me focus.

I've found that drumming on...whatever...while studying helps me to balance out all the other streams flowing through the undercurrent of my subconscious...

I do that with podcast! I usually stream over to my little Bluetooth radio and have something going on in the background to listen to while I'm working on something. Helps me stay still in one place!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Tone
Now Marie Kondo wants me to go through all of my stuff one thing at a time and ask myself the question, "DOeS iT BriNg mE JoY!?"

NO. This dress has holes in it and there's dried clumps of flour all over it, but if I don't keep the joyless dress what will I clean and punch my breaddough in?!

I haven't finished any of my other dresses so I'm down to two joyless dresses and one I won't wear. You're supposed to hold them and see if the cells in your body are raising. IDK what that means.

emily-gilmore-gif.gif

/endADHDrant

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know! :) Maybe. I was really extroverted as a teenager. I was all over the place.

I do that with podcast! I usually stream over to my little Bluetooth radio and have something going on in the background to listen to while I'm working on something. Helps me stay still in one place!

Yeah...me 2!!!!!

So music is therapeutic for you?

Also, what did you begin to despise...all the arts?

And, what is your art a trigger for...drugs?

As for me, I'm a late bloomer in doing poetry (or at least stringing words I like together to express how I feel) and playing instruments.

I always liked making beats with my mouth and on random surfaces, but I just didn't connect it to me being musically inclined and/or possessing musical talent.

I've always excelled in reading, writing, and reading comprehension, but it's hard for me to sit down and write consistently.

I have the whole outline for a pretty involved story, but I have yet to settle down and color in the details (if that makes any sense).

So, my new hobbies are exactly the opposite of being a trigger for alcohol/drug use.

But, I know that the elements of life vary among us...one person's medicine is another's vice...I guess.

In your case, I would try to explore more of the why art became as an enemy to you...is it because you may have idolized it?

Sorry if I'm prying too much. You don't have to answer here, as you know.

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh yeah,

I listen to a lot of ASMR, mostly at night, like right now I'm listening to this:

I also watch plenty of ASMR teaching vids., like music theory and piano lessons.

It is soothing and, I admit, I enjoy hearing the lovely female voices and there are many very attractive asmrtists, but it's all healthy.

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm actually playing with the idea of launching an ASMR channel...I have all the equipment I need.

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Tone
Now Marie Kondo wants me to go through all of my stuff one thing at a time and ask myself the question, "DOeS iT BriNg mE JoY!?"

NO. This dress has holes in it and there's dried clumps of flour all over it, but if I don't keep the joyless dress what will I clean and punch my breaddough in?!

I haven't finished any of my other dresses so I'm down to two joyless dresses and one I won't wear. You're supposed to hold them and see if the cells in your body are raising. IDK what that means.

emily-gilmore-gif.gif

/endADHDrant

What's that from, a t.v. show? I've never heard of her until now...I watch like zero t.v..

I doubt any object can truly bring us joy.

Things may provide some fleeting comfort at times, but it is from what (Who) is inside of us that joy springs from...I'd say.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah...me 2!!!!!

So music is therapeutic for you?

Also, what did you begin to despise...all the arts?

And, what is your art a trigger for...drugs?

As for me, I'm a late bloomer in doing poetry (or at least stringing words I like together to express how I feel) and playing instruments.

I always liked making beats with my mouth and on random surfaces, but I just didn't connect it to me being musically inclined and/or possessing musical talent.

I've always excelled in reading, writing, and reading comprehension, but it's hard for me to sit down and write consistently.

I have the whole outline for a pretty involved story, but I have yet to settle down and color in the details (if that makes any sense).

So, my new hobbies are exactly the opposite of being a trigger for alcohol/drug use.

But, I know that the elements of life vary among us...one person's medicine is another's vice...I guess.

In your case, I would try to explore more of the why art became as an enemy to you...is it because you may have idolized it?

Sorry if I'm prying too much. You don't have to answer here, as you know.

Oh I never had a drug problem really, but it just gives me PTSD feelings. Just poetry and painting, mostly. I don't get involved much with either anymore. Not really so much other people's poetry but my own poetry really freaks me out. :D

That sounds awesome that it helps you, too, and probably a good relief. I loved the guitar for that reason. Lyre, sometimes, too. Sit around and sing the psalms and playing the lyre seems to make good things happen. Actually almost every time I've done that there's been a blessing so I should probably do it more.

Probably more (blahbahblah) but it's just a weird trigger for me.

But there's a lesson in every experience and I learned to put more faith in God than people. God is the only hero. That and looking back, sometimes you really want something at the time but then time passes on, you get closer to God, your beliefs change, your standards change, your expectations, and you start realizing there's a lot there that didn't match up with the journey you were supposed to be on.

At the same time, it's a little painful when someone unintentionally makes a big impact on your life and they'll either never know it or never be in it again. Someone said once that God brings people into your life for a reason and sometimes when they're work is done, they've completed their mission. So I'm grateful for the experience either way. Thank God for unanswered prayers. :)

Last edited:

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What's that from, a t.v. show? I've never heard of her until now...I watch like zero t.v..

I doubt any object can truly bring us joy.

Things may provide some fleeting comfort at times, but it is from what (Who) is inside of us that joy springs from...I'd say.
She's just a professional organizer with some odd ideas and some of it seems like common sense but the folding methods are nice!

Things are just here for a moment, but it does help to figure out is it actually worth keeping or not... For practical purposes, a lot of it is.

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh I never had a drug problem really, but it just gives me PTSD feelings. Just poetry and painting, mostly. I don't get involved much with either anymore. Not really so much other people's poetry but my own poetry really freaks me out. :D

That sounds awesome that it helps you, too, and probably a good relief. I loved the guitar for that reason. Lyre, sometimes, too. Sit around and sing the psalms and playing the lyre seems to make good things happen. Actually almost every time I've done that there's been a blessing so I should probably do it more.

Probably more idolized loving an artist than art itself but it's just a weird trigger for me. Had a bad spiritual experience involving someone else. Won't get into that story too much, because I don't want to expose anyone and I don't want to trigger myself, but it was pretty traumatizing.

But there's a lesson in every experience and I learned to put more faith in God than people. God is the only hero. That and looking back, sometimes you really want something at the time but then time passes on, you get closer to God, your beliefs change, your standards change, your expectations, and you start realizing there's a lot there that didn't match up with the journey you were supposed to be on.

At the same time, it's a little painful when someone unintentionally makes a big impact on your life and they'll either never know it or never be in it again. Someone said once that God brings people into your life for a reason and sometimes when they're work is done, they've completed their mission. So I'm grateful for the experience either way. Thank God for unanswered prayers. :)

Yeah, I've felt and thought that some broken past relationships would be the death of me, but His Thoughts and Plans proved greater than my own expectations.

All I can do is stay breathing and keep stepping forward into my inheritance, and, as you said, take all the rest as a blessed lesson.

Reactions: DuckieLady

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
She's just a professional organizer with some odd ideas and some of it seems like common sense but the folding methods are nice!

Things are just here for a moment, but it does help to figure out is it actually worth keeping or not... For practical purposes, a lot of it is.

Nice, I love the idea of traveling light...always been a minimalist. But, it is good to desire resources in order to keep the blessings flowing to others.

Reminds me of this verse:

Philippians 1:22-24
"But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not. For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better: Nevertheless to remain in the flesh is more needful for you"

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nice, I love the idea of traveling light...always been a minimalist. But, it is good to desire resources in order to keep the blessings flowing to others.

Reminds me of this verse:

Philippians 1:22-24
"But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not. For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better: Nevertheless to remain in the flesh is more needful for you"

That's true! That's a good thought and probably one I'll spend some time meditating on. I'm very fortunate to have good community with great neighbors where we all help one another out when we can and that's actually been a really nice experience!

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's true! That's a good thought and probably one I'll spend some time meditating on. I'm very fortunate to have good community with great neighbors where we all help one another out when we can and that's actually been a really nice experience!

Yeah, that sounds like a real economy:

economy | Origin and meaning of economy by Online Etymology Dictionary

late 15th century (in the sense ‘management of material resources’): from French économie, or via Latin from Greek oikonomia ‘household management’, based on oikos ‘house’ + nemein ‘manage’. Current senses date from the 17th century.

This reminds me of the early believing community:

Acts 2:44-45
And all that believed were together, and had all things common; And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.

You're blessed to have that sister, and I'm sure you are a bright light to any that may still be in the haze.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those with probable ADD ADHD also have a propensity towards hyper-focusing...and because of their usual high intelligence can accomplish huge, almost impossible tasks as long as they find them challenging and engaging. The reason for productivity must be genuine. (At least to them)

The biggest hurdle that they have to cross is starting a focus for activity. The oversized goals are usually a stop right out of the gate.

So...start smaller. Yes, you know that you can do it. But instead of focusing on "organizing the whole house" start with a single room or closet. (Just an example...not a literal thing here)
The ADD person will eventually gravitate towards doing the whole house but the accomplished single goal will lead them to actually doing the whole house single-mindedly.

And you have to have a firmly affixed goal or deadline that drives you to engage the hyper-focusing ability you have...and some personal self discipline.

Yes, you will likely overshoot the mark of having ordinary order and cleanliness (if you're cleaning and organizing) but it can be any task really.

Such as that art painting you mentioned... you did find it challenging at one point...but drifted away from it for some reason. At a guess, you probably didn't have a recipient in mind for the picture or a deadline to gift it to them by.

You are a Christian...that lifestyle has changed you. Ignoring that fact by listening to that godless Japanese woman is not going to help you. She might have a good idea or two but she isn't a savior.

So...
What can you do to do something for someone else today? Focus on that and then act on that.

Reactions: Tone and DuckieLady

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those with probable ADD ADHD also have a propensity towards hyper-focusing...and because of their usual high intelligence can accomplish huge, almost impossible tasks as long as they find them challenging and engaging. The reason for productivity must be genuine. (At least to them)

The biggest hurdle that they have to cross is starting a focus for activity. The oversized goals are usually a stop right out of the gate.

So...start smaller. Yes, you know that you can do it. But instead of focusing on "organizing the whole house" start with a single room or closet. (Just an example...not a literal thing here)
The ADD person will eventually gravitate towards doing the whole house but the accomplished single goal will lead them to actually doing the whole house single-mindedly.

And you have to have a firmly affixed goal or deadline that drives you to engage the hyper-focusing ability you have...and some personal self discipline.

Yes, you will likely overshoot the mark of having ordinary order and cleanliness (if you're cleaning and organizing) but it can be any task really.

Such as that art painting you mentioned... you did find it challenging at one point...but drifted away from it for some reason. At a guess, you probably didn't have a recipient in mind for the picture or a deadline to gift it to them by.

You are a Christian...that lifestyle has changed you. Ignoring that fact by listening to that godless Japanese woman is not going to help you. She might have a good idea or two but she isn't a savior.

So...
What can you do to do something for someone else today? Focus on that and then act on that.

You're right... I like the folding tips, and went along with that, but the rest of it was so common sense that I couldn't understand why it was such a big deal to people. Actually how big it was blown up that throwing things away was this life changing concept actually made me more concerned for the adults in this country. After learning how to fold a t-shirt in a different way it was like "Oh okay it ends here then." Not very helpful. I'm going to have to look up other professional organizers.

I can absolutely focus for a long time when I'm interested in what I'm doing or in desperate situations. I'll spend hours working on something if I'm ready to do it.

But I do think that part of my problem actually involves doing too much for other people every day, and being a little too altruistic is getting me sick again. I just realized last night after the tinnitus and peripheral neuropathy started coming back, that I hadn't been drinking any water for the past few days and I haven't been taking my iron or B12 regularly for a couple of months and have been stuck on a lot of vegetarian food, so that explains the minor auditory/visual hallucinations, cloudier thinking, and emotional stress.

At least this time I recognized it before it got too bad. I hope I remember that I have a plan to take care of it.

Pernicious anemia is kind of debilitating but I get into survival mode and keep moving. I forget that my body needs things.

I also remembered my grandmother telling me that I *needed* to take oyster shell calcium because osteoporosis runs in our family, and then put together I grew up without having dairy in the home and I don't buy it either, and it looks like ADHD is also linked to calcium deficiency.

Time to drink water and get back on my supplements, I guess.

I LOVE the deadline idea. I never thought of that! Thanks!