if you wish I (we) will make three tabernacles here

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you. Looking up each and reading the references. One question I have is where does seven tabernacles come from? I ask because I had no idea there were seven …when I looked up some of the references I see “seven days” and tabernacle…can you help with where seven tabernacles comes from?
And then why seven? It brings up the Sabbath here, does it not? In the very beginning of Genesis, what occurred on each of the first six days? How would the work on each of those days relate to the corresponding tabernacle of the ones listed in previous post #8 here?

What occurred on the seventh day and in the seventh tabernacle?

"Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made." Gen 2:1-3

How might this relate to the seventh tabernacle of which we may be a part? A place for Jesus to Rest His Head!

"And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head." Matt 8:20

Then go back and consider what David wrote here:

"Until I find out a place for the LORD, an habitation for the mighty God of Jacob.
Lo, we heard of it at Ephratah: we found it in the fields of the wood.
We will go into his tabernacles {throughout the scriptures we read of them}: we will worship at his footstool.
Arise, O LORD, into thy rest; thou, and the ark of thy strength." Psalm 132:5-8

And then skipping ahead a bit:

"For the LORD hath chosen Zion; he hath desired it for his habitation.
This is my rest for ever: here will I dwell; for I have desired it." Psalm 132:13-14

Zion is the parched place... dry without water needing the water which Jesus brought...Living Water!

"But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life." John 4:14

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the last verse of Chap 16 Vicky, Jesus told all of them that they would not die before they seen him coming into his Kingdom, that was actually the fulfillment of that, 6 days later. Keep in mind it was a vision, and not literal, but was intended to be faith strengthening to them, and even to Jesus himself so that he could endure what was coming. Interestingly this is another account where God's voice was heard from heaven.
Not sure that most understand what a tabernacle in this instance is maam, the NWT renders it tents to help in understanding:
skhnhv Skene (skay-nay');
Word Origin: Greek, Noun Feminine, Strong #: 4633

1. tent, tabernacle, (made of green boughs, or skins or other materials)
  2. of that well known movable temple of God after the pattern of which the temple at Jerusalem was built
KJV Word Usage and Count
tabernacle 19
habitation 1

You mentioned “the NWT renders it tents to help in understanding:
Word Origin: Greek, Noun Feminine, Strong #: 463 tent, tabernacle, (made of green boughs, or skins or other materials.”

The part “made of green boughs, or skins or other materials” makes me think of an article I read. I couldn’t understand all of it so I can’t say I agree or disagree with it but it does bring up some good questions. For instance the parts in bold: “Had he said, "Let us stay here and make three tabernacles, one for You, and one for me, and one for James and John," it would have had more of reason in it. What did Moses and Elijah want with tabernacles? The word tabernacle simply means a booth, or boughs made into a shelter for present use. Peter's suggestion was that he should go to the trees and bear back boughs with which to construct three temporary resting-places. Think of Moses sojourning in a tabernacle or Elijah settling down to rest in a booth. The whole suggestion is bizarre. "He knew not what to answer," and for him, as for all men in like circumstances, it were infinitely better to say nothing. He had lost the sense of the spiritual, and his mind, moving wholly within the realm of material things, imagined that the spirits of the just made perfect could find shelter in tabernacles constructed of boughs.

“Imagine the spirits of just men made perfect could find shelter in tabernacles constructed with boughs …OR could the same be asked of just men made perfect finding shelter in tabernacles made with hands? good questions (imo)
Peter Missed the Point of the Transfiguration?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And then why seven?

i have few silly questions, so much so I’m afraid to ask them. What I meant is where does seven tabernacles come from? For example the seven spirits of God…I see that in scriptures, and yes, seven days but not seven tabernacles? Another silly question is who says they are not the same but instead seven? an example here would be the debate of is the tent in the wilderness with a congregation a church? Last question, and again it is embarrassing to ask but why seven when the Jews are focused on “a third”, not a seventh? Update on the Building of the Third Temple | Jewish Voice

the reason the passage stood out to me concerning Peter asking about building three tabernacles …is how similar the question is to, building of a third tabernacle …not a seventh but third? Is there then to be seven tabernacles built in all? Am I confusing tabernacle with temple?

I’m sorry I really don’t understand? The verse (where Peter asked this question) seemed to say something to me yet maybe not. It might be time to walk away from the question as one I’m not meant to understand.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i have few silly questions, so much so I’m afraid to ask them. What I meant is where does seven tabernacles come from? For example the seven spirits of God…I see that in scriptures, and yes, seven days but not seven tabernacles? Another silly question is who says they are not the same but instead seven? an example here would be the debate of is the tent in the wilderness with a congregation a church? Last question, and again it is embarrassing to ask but why seven when the Jews are focused on “a third”, not a seventh? Update on the Building of the Third Temple | Jewish Voice

the reason the passage stood out to me concerning Peter asking about building three tabernacles …is how similar the question is to, building of a third tabernacle …not a seventh but third? Is there then to be seven tabernacles built in all? Am I confusing tabernacle with temple?

I’m sorry I really don’t understand? The verse (where Peter asked this question) seemed to say something to me yet maybe not. It might be time to walk away from the question as one I’m not meant to understand.
Not silly questions! I do not know as Peter also did not know. The voice let him know to listen to Jesus wherein the correct answer(s) would be found. Not in Moses or in Elijah!

I never finished my study on this sister. Some answers I have now are based on other information gained through other studies and simply listening to God. The seven Spirits of God according to some are contained in these verses:

"And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots:
And the [1] spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the [2] spirit of wisdom and [3] understanding, the [4] spirit of counsel and [5] might, the [6] spirit of knowledge and of the [7] fear of the LORD;" Isaiah 11:1-2

"And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God." Rev 4:5

In other words, Jesus had all seven of those Spirits.

Off the top of my head, God wants us to be improving, growing to become more like Him. The first tabernacle of the list is the one in the wilderness built at God's direction to Moses, but it was only a beginning, a type or shadow of the Reality to be seen and experienced in the Body of Christ. Prior to that even the laws given to Moses were called schoolmasters by Paul to bring us to Christ and then under faith no longer be under that schoolmaster.

How much more can we know? A whole lot, but I cannot yet bring it all together. It does, I am certain, come together.

For a start into the three consider the three heavens with their types or shadows seen in the three levels of the ark built by Noah and in the tabernacle in the wilderness with its three levels [outer court (for unclean beast {the common man}), holy place (for clean beast {priests} and holiest of holies (for the complete overcomer {high priest}]. Consider also the three days and nights for Jesus.

I won't be guessing now at the connections between the three and the seven, but again I am sure they exist... Perhaps, we will see them as we approach more closely to that "face-to-face" vision. I see more now than when I first began my walk as should any believer. Keep on seeking and asking of Him as you continue to read and study.

"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." I Cor 13:12 When is then?

Give God the glory!

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The seven Spirits of God according to some are contained in these verses:

"And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots:
And the [1] spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the [2] spirit of wisdom and [3] understanding, the [4] spirit of counsel and [5] might, the [6] spirit of knowledge and of the [7] fear of the LORD;" Isaiah 11:1-2

thank you for a word this morning. Off in another direction now because the above does cause me to meditate (or think on): fulness Colossians 2:9-10, Ephesians 3:19-21, Ephesians 4:13-16,

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then was the answer yes or no (or maybe?)on building three tabernacles? What is your opinion there? Just now noticed it is also in
Matthew 17:3-5, Mark 9:5-8, and Luke 9:32-35. Why not John also, and does it matter?

look at what is written in Mark and Luke -- Peter suggested this because he did not know what he was saying.
IOW -- it was a stupid idea; Peter & the others were frightened, and not thinking clearly.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
look at what is written in Mark and Luke -- Peter suggested this because he did not know what he was saying.
IOW -- it was a stupid idea; Peter & the others were frightened, and not thinking clearly.

maybe it wasn’t a stupid question but instead a learning moment. How often do we ask God stupid questions? (Imo) Paul asks one when he asked “Who are you, Lord?”
Acts 9:4-5

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You mentioned “the NWT renders it tents to help in understanding:
Word Origin: Greek, Noun Feminine, Strong #: 463 tent, tabernacle, (made of green boughs, or skins or other materials.”

The part “made of green boughs, or skins or other materials” makes me think of an article I read. I couldn’t understand all of it so I can’t say I agree or disagree with it but it does bring up some good questions. For instance the parts in bold: “Had he said, "Let us stay here and make three tabernacles, one for You, and one for me, and one for James and John," it would have had more of reason in it. What did Moses and Elijah want with tabernacles? The word tabernacle simply means a booth, or boughs made into a shelter for present use. Peter's suggestion was that he should go to the trees and bear back boughs with which to construct three temporary resting-places. Think of Moses sojourning in a tabernacle or Elijah settling down to rest in a booth. The whole suggestion is bizarre. "He knew not what to answer," and for him, as for all men in like circumstances, it were infinitely better to say nothing. He had lost the sense of the spiritual, and his mind, moving wholly within the realm of material things, imagined that the spirits of the just made perfect could find shelter in tabernacles constructed of boughs.

“Imagine the spirits of just men made perfect could find shelter in tabernacles constructed with boughs …OR could the same be asked of just men made perfect finding shelter in tabernacles made with hands? good questions (imo)
Peter Missed the Point of the Transfiguration?

Sorry for the length Vicky, but here is more detail, perhaps this may help:
*** it-2 pp. 1120-1121 Transfiguration ***
Some critics have endeavored to class the transfiguration as simply a dream. However, Peter, James, and John would not logically all have had exactly the same dream. Jesus himself called what took place a “vision” (Mt 17:9), but not a mere illusion. Christ was actually there, though Moses and Elijah, who were dead, were not literally present. They were represented in vision. The Greek word used for “vision” at Matthew 17:9 is hoʹra·ma, also rendered “sight.” (Ac 7:31) It does not imply unreality, as though the observers were laboring under a delusion. Nor were they insensible to what occurred, for they were fully awake when witnessing the transfiguration. With their literal eyes and ears they actually saw and heard what took place at that time.—Lu 9:32.

As Moses and Elijah were being separated from Jesus, Peter, “not realizing what he was saying,” suggested the erecting of three tents, one each for Jesus, Moses, and Elijah. (Lu 9:33) But as the apostle spoke, a cloud formed (Lu 9:34), evidently (as at the tent of meeting in the wilderness) symbolizing Jehovah’s presence there on the mountain of the transfiguration. (Ex 40:34-38) From out of the cloud there came Jehovah’s voice, saying: “This is my Son, the one that has been chosen. Listen to him.” (Lu 9:35) Years later, with reference to the transfiguration, Peter identified the heavenly voice as that of “God the Father.” (2Pe 1:17, 18) Whereas in the past God had spoken through prophets, he now indicated that he would do so through his Son.—Ga 3:24; Heb 1:1-3.
The apostle Peter viewed the transfiguration as a marvelous confirmation of the prophetic word, and by having been an eyewitness of Christ’s magnificence, he was able to acquaint his readers “with the power and presence of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (2Pe 1:16, 19) The apostle had experienced the fulfillment of Christ’s promise that some of his followers would “not taste death at all until first they see the kingdom of God already come in power.” (Mr 9:1) The apostle John may also have alluded to the transfiguration at John 1:14.

Jesus told his three apostles: “Tell the vision to no one until the Son of man is raised up from the dead.” (Mt 17:9) They did refrain from then reporting what they saw to anyone, apparently even to the other apostles. (Lu 9:36) While descending the mountain, the three apostles discussed among themselves what Jesus meant by “this rising from the dead.” (Mr 9:10) One current Jewish religious teaching was that Elijah must appear before the resurrection of the dead that would inaugurate the Messiah’s reign. So, the apostles inquired: “Why, then, do the scribes say that Elijah must come first?” Jesus assured them that Elijah had come, and they perceived that he spoke of John the Baptizer.—Mt 17:10-13.

The transfiguration, it seems, served to fortify Christ for his sufferings and death, while it also comforted his followers and strengthened their faith. It showed that Jesus had God’s approval, and it was a foreview of his future glory and Kingdom power. It presaged the presence of Christ, when his kingly authority would be complete.

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
maybe it wasn’t a stupid question but instead a learning moment. How often do we ask God stupid questions? (Imo) Paul asks one when he asked “Who are you, Lord?”
Acts 9:4-5

maybe 'stupid idea' was a poor way to phrase it on my part, but Mark & Luke make it clear that what Peter suggested was not wise.

so we have the question, why does God put this into the narrative? why record Peter suggesting something foolish?
and the answer to that is in part to instruct us, if we were to have the same notion ourselves, that it is not an appropriate notion.

Last edited:

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The transfiguration, it seems, served to fortify Christ for his sufferings and death, while it also comforted his followers and strengthened their faith. It showed that Jesus had God’s approval, and it was a foreview of his future glory and Kingdom power. It presaged the presence of Christ, when his kingly authority would be complete.

Christ is God and does not need 'fortification' - Elijah and Moses are not going 'don't worry, Lord Christ, it will be ok, be brave, don't cry' as you suggest, but Christ is explaining to them the mystery of His purpose and what He will do at the cross, which had been hidden from all creation, even angels, since the beginning.

it did not 'comfort and strengthen' His followers; only Peter James & John saw this and, as they were instructed, told no one until after the resurrection. per the explicit narrative, they were terrified and afraid, and Peter had no idea what to say or do. that is not describing being comforted: it is describing being dumbfounded, awe-struck and bewildered.

Christ did not need any additional signs of approval before men.

Christ does not have 'future glory' in the sense you are describing it. He set aside His glory to be found in the form of a man, the glory which He has had with the Father ((who shares His glory with no one; chew on that one, ha!)) since the beginning. He is eternal and unbound by time; He is the Creator of time itself and upholds all things.

Elijah and Moses are the only men who ever saw Who is inside the cloud of glory that filled the tabernacle & temple, and into which Elijah was taken up. that is why specifically they and not any other two people are present: they are two witnesses to the deity of Christ, who was here revealed to the core apostles as the Ancient of Days in the bright Shekinah cloud.

Reactions: Jim B

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ is God and does not need 'fortification' - Elijah and Moses are not going 'don't worry, Lord Christ, it will be ok, be brave, don't cry' as you suggest, but Christ is explaining to them the mystery of His purpose and what He will do at the cross, which had been hidden from all creation, even angels, since the beginning.

it did not 'comfort and strengthen' His followers; only Peter James & John saw this and, as they were instructed, told no one until after the resurrection. per the explicit narrative, they were terrified and afraid, and Peter had no idea what to say or do. that is not describing being comforted: it is describing being dumbfounded, awe-struck and bewildered.

Christ does not have 'future glory' in the sense you are describing it. He set aside His glory to be found in the form of a man, the glory which He has had with the Father ((who shares His glory with no one; chew on that one, ha!)) since the beginning. He is eternal and unbound by time; He is the Creator of time itself and upholds all things.

Elijah and Moses are the only men who ever saw Who is inside the cloud of glory that filled the tabernacle & temple, and into which Elijah was taken up. that is why specifically they and not any other two people are present: they are two witnesses to the deity of Christ, who was here revealed to the core apostles as the Ancient of Days in the bright Shekinah cloud.

Great post!

Reactions: post

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You say Christ is God, why would God need to be anointed sir. I say Jesus is the son of the living God Jehovah, like Peter. Jesus said God revealed it to Peter, so then obviously he must have revealed it to all of us who know that as well. May I ask why is it that you do not know this Post? Mat 16:16,17 There you go sir, now God has revealed it to you as well through His word.