Image and Likeness !?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
was Jesus like us created in the image and likeness of God - what does being created in the image and likeness of God mean - are we human and divine like Jesus - twinc

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
twinc said:
was Jesus like us created in the image and likeness of God - what does being created in the image and likeness of God mean - are we human and divine like Jesus - twinc
No, Jesus was not created, but humans are created and in God's likeness. There is the superficial likeness of a physical form, and there is the nature of his being which our own parallels. There are also some qualities humans share with God, like love and emotions. I dare not elaborate because I do not have the whole picture. I am confident none of these parallels with God make us divine.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
lforrest said:
No, Jesus was not created, but humans are created and in God's likeness. There is the superficial likeness of a physical form, and there is the nature of his being which our own parallels. There are also some qualities humans share with God, like love and emotions. I dare not elaborate because I do not have the whole picture. I am confident none of these parallels with God make us divine.

lforrest said:
No, Jesus was not created, but humans are created and in God's likeness. There is the superficial likeness of a physical form, and there is the nature of his being which our own parallels. There are also some qualities humans share with God, like love and emotions. I dare not elaborate because I do not have the whole picture. I am confident none of these parallels with God make us divine

there appears to be a serious misinterpretation - it seems the correct interpretation is were and not are - we are now created in the fallen image and likeness of Adam[Gen.5:3] - furthermore one of the greatest if not the greatest achievement of science has been the dematerialisation of matter - so all and everything is mental and spiritual and matter/physical is an illusion - twinc

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I don't see either interpretation as incorrect. We were and we are created in God's image. Not as copies, or little gods, but in stylization.

I believe we are still created in God's image because I don't believe humans share in God's divinity. But if you believe that humans were intended to be little gods then I can understand why "were created" would be the only acceptable interpretation.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
I don't see either interpretation as incorrect. We were and we are created in God's image. Not as copies, or little gods, but in stylization.

I believe we are still created in God's image because I don't believe humans share in God's divinity. But if you believe that humans were intended to be little gods then I can understand why "were created" would be the only acceptable interpretation.
to say or accept that we are now created in the image and likeness of God whilst great for the human ego does not say much for God - twinc

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
twinc said:
to say or accept that we are now created in the image and likeness of God whilst great for the human ego does not say much for God - twinc
Ego has nothing to do with it, this is what the word of God says:
Genesis 1:27 "So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them."

So what if man sinned after his creation? It doesn't change that man was created in God's image.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus the Son of God brought the Life of the Son of God into the world from Heaven to restore us unto the image and likeness of our Creator. Though the flesh and all that is with it is of the ground, the soul is of the breath of God. And one should note that Jesus made a point of breathing on the apostles and telling them (Joh_20:22 )“Receive ye the Holy Ghost:”. The soul died from the Presence of God after the tree incident in the garden, and Jesus restored it by baptism of the Holy Spirit and fire.

Many forget or miss the fact that (Luk 3:38) “Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.” Hence many referring to Jesus as the second Adam.

Many say man is in God’s image but it is that God made man in God’s Image and likeness but that didn’t remain in man after the tree incident. A dead soul left in sin is not in the likeness of God, and certainly human nature has nothing to do with God’s nature. One must have the life of to be like. One must have the life of a dog to be like a dog, One must have the life of a bird to be like a bird, One must have the life of the Son of God to have the power to become sons of God (as Jesus says it), hence the Father’s likeness and image in the world. One must be born of to have the life of, and Adam and Eve died of that, that day, so they couldn’t pass that same life to their children, that was originally given them. They could only give you the life they had, which was and is, dust to dust and ashes to ashes.

So God’s Likeness and Image is of God the Father given through His Word, made flesh His Son Jesus Christ, in His Presence the Holy Spirit.

Side note; think about it, baptism of God’s Presence gives eternal life.

Reactions: FHII

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Man, Christ, and all the world, is a manifestation of things on high, in the heavenly realm.

As such, Jesus was not created in our likeness, but we were created in his likeness as God. As a man, Jesus was also created in the image of God, or in his own image...thus, his comment that if we had seen him, we have seen the Father.

As for being divine, in order to be divine one must be born [again] of the spirit of God. Christ, being born of the spirit of God was divine already. The difference is that he was born divine then took on sin. We, on the other hand, were born the children of sin, and must be re-born out of it. He was spirit born of the flesh (to which he returned), we are flesh needing to be born [again] of the spirit.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gen 1 says that created man in his image, but if you dig deeper you see that that is referring to Adam. God created Adam in his image. Look at Gen 5. Adam was both male and female and their name was Adam. Furthermore, they were in spirit form and put into earthen bodies. They actually were put into immortal bodies then into mortal bodies.

Adam had woman taken out of him and then they fell to a status that we present day humans are.

So we are not in the image of God. We are in the image of fallen Adam.

Jesus on the otherhand, was God himself manifest in the flesh (1 tim 3:16), was in the likeness of sinful flesh (Rom 8:3), and is the reversal of Adam. Adam was born a spiritual being and became a mortal man, Jesus was born a mortal man, resurrected into and immortal flesh body and went back to being a spiritual being... That is, God himself. (Refer to 1 cor 15).

I know I've said a lot of intriguing things if not controversial things. But just consider it and look into it.