Impulsivity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Having been identified with a susceptibility to impulsive responses in my reactions during mandatory Psych evaluations during school, I found this article inviting when I ran across it yesterday, so, just for kicks, I thought I would share a few paragraphs from the nine page article. (These are some of the more "readable" ones. Makes me wonder how I ever stuck it out for six years!)
There is no standardized treatment for complex disorders involving impulsivity, although a range of different medication classes have been investigated.13 Pharmacological treatments may reduce impulsivity and normalize arousal by decreasing dopaminergic activity, enhancing serotonergic activity, shifting the balance of amino acid neurotransmitter from excitatory (glutamatergic) toward inhibitory (GABAergic) transmission, lowering glutamatergic conduction, and/or reducing or stabilizing nonadrenergic effects. Medications used to treat disorders involving impulsivity, including impulse control disorders and cluster B personality disorders, which have been shown to be effective in some clinical trials, include SSRIs, lithium, and anticonvulsants.14,24-31 Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and psychodynamically informed psychotherapy have a useful role in the management of a number of impulse control disorders. More specific details of the pharmacotherapeutic and psychotherapeutic approaches to each of the individual impulse control disorders can be found elsewhere.32

With regard to compulsive behavior, the most common treatment approaches for OCD are pharmacological and psychological. CBT was the first psychological treatment for which empirical support was obtained. A recent review compared psychological treatments with treatment as usual and found that psychological treatments derived from cognitive-behavioral models are effective for adults with OCD.33

On the basis of the hypothesized underlying neurobiology of OCD and observed treatment effects, SSRIs are considered first-line treatment for OCD. However, SSRIs are often associated with delayed onset of therapeutic effect (8 to 12 weeks), only partial symptom reduction, and response failure or intolerability in 40% to 60% of patients. Pharmacological options for SSRI-refractory cases include increasing drug dosage, changing to another SSRI or clomipramine, combining SSRIs, or changing the mode of drug delivery. Augmentation with second-generation antipsychotics appears promising, as well as augmentation or monotherapy with some of the anticonvulsants.34-36

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The following... 'medicine' came to mind:

3 Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth and a protecting door about my lips. 4 Incline not my heart to evil words to make excuses in sins, With those who work iniquity; and I will not associate with the choicest of them. (Psalms 141:3-4)

I'm not denying that the problem can have a psychosomatic cause and therefore a medical remedy as opposed to a spiritual one.

Reactions: Willie T

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, what we do right here on this forum could be considered a form of Psychotherapy. Much of the Bible and Psychology are parallels, though the thought of that riles some people.

Reactions: icxn

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a paper on my computer that details 11 different principles involving irrational thinking that is comparatively answered in both psychological (REBT) and Biblical terms (with Scriptures given)…. if anyone is interested. (Nine pages are a bit too much to post here.)

Reactions: Dave L
D

Dave L

I have a paper on my computer that details 11 different principles involving irrational thinking that is comparatively answered in both psychological (REBT) and Biblical terms (with Scriptures given)…. if anyone is interested. (Nine pages are a bit too much to post here.)
Please post it. TIA.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is the lead-in:
BELIEFS MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE

Life gives you plenty of opportunities to drive yourself crazy, but you’re the one who takes advantage of them. Just as you learn to decline other invitations, you can also learn to decline life’s invitations to drive yourself crazy. You can even learn to decline gracefully! Perhaps you can’t make lemonade every time life gives you lemons, but neither do you have to squeeze life’s lemons in your eyes! You can learn to think more sensibly about your practical problems, thus reducing your emotional problems.

With some hard self-questioning, and lots of practice, you can discover the beliefs with which you give yourself emotional problems by irrational concerns over your practical problems. Discovering your beliefs is the first step in learning how to stop driving yourself crazy.

There are three main ways to determine what beliefs are affecting your behavior. The first way is simple enough. You voice the belief out loud, or think it to yourself. For example, you say out loud or think to yourself, “This is awful, I can’t stand it!”

The second way occurs if you agree when someone else states a belief, even though you may not have previously said or thought it yourself. For example, someone says, “They can’t even be humans if they act that way,” and you respond with, “Right! They’re not even humans!”

The third way to discover your beliefs is to determine if your behavior is consistent with a particular belief or set of beliefs. This way of knowing what you believe is a little more difficult than the first two. But it is very important.

Consider this thought experiment. Imagine you’re in a room. Locate the door or doors. Now, suppose I ask you how to get out of this room. You point to the door, and say, “Through there.” I say, “Fine, let’s go.”

Instead of walking through the door, you attempt to go through the wall!

What do you really believe about getting out of that room? You said you believed one thing, but looking at your behavior shows something else. Your behavior shows you believe you can leave the room by walking through the wall!

If you want to know what beliefs are holding sway, look at your behavior. Ask yourself, “With what beliefs is my behavior consistent?” “What is my behavior showing that I believe? This method also works as a check against the first two methods.

You may think your anger, anxiety, depression, guilt and procrastination are caused by your frustrations. You are mistaken. “Frustration” simply means you aren’t getting what you want, or you aren’t getting it as quickly and as easily as you want. To discover how your frustrations produce emotional problems, ask yourself what beliefs you stick with when you’re frustrated. Are these beliefs good sense or nonsense?

Like anything else, you learn to think more sensibly by diligently and persistently practicing sensible responding over and over, until you get quite good at doing it. Of course, quite good doesn’t equal totally perfect! Perfection is for God; you’re a human.

When trying to overcome your nonsense, remember the three reasons you succeed at anything you find difficult. First, you use a strategy that has a chance of succeeding. Second, you don’t take your failures as proof you can’t succeed. Third, you don’t take the pain of failing as reason enough to stop trying. “I haven’t done it yet,” doesn’t necessarily equal, “I can’t do it.” And, “I can’t do it perfectly,” doesn’t necessarily equal, “I can’t improve.” And just because you have a certain thought like, “I am a banana,” doesn’t mean you have to BELIEVE it.

A STRATEGY THAT HAS A CHANCE OF SUCCEEDING

1. Recognize the times your behavior shows you’re sticking with nonsense. Also recognize you can stop sticking with nonsense, and reduce your emotional problems. You can change eventually, even if you can’t change easily.

2. Vigorously attack your nonsense, and attempt to stop acting in ways that are consistent with it. Attack your nonsense, but don’t attack yourself for having it. After all, humans easily think nonsensically.

3. Vigorously encourage yourself to believe more sensible ideas, and attempt to act in ways consistent with them.

4. Continue to act in the new ways despite the fact they feel uncomfortable and not “really me,” until they do become quite comfortable and second nature. Remember, people don’t feel comfortable and confident when they start any new behavior, for example riding a bicycle. Comfort and confidence come after successful practice, not before!

If you want change, a good place to start is with your beliefs, because it is your beliefs that are mainly causing you to feel and behave as you do. You may never completely eliminate a tendency to stick with nonsense, but with diligent persistent effort, you can stick more strongly, more intensely, more forcefully and more frequently with good sense.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The first three Irrational nonsense thoughts:
NONSENSE #1
I MUST HAVE LOVE AND APPROVAL FROM ALL THE IMPORTANT PEOPLE IN MY LIFE!
Everyone should like me, and it is terrible if they don’t.
THE BIBLE:

“All that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.”
(2nd Tim. 3:12)
“Marvel not my brethren if the world hate you.”
(1st John 3:13)
Jesus promises us the hatred and misunderstanding of the whole world.
(John 15:18-25)
Misunderstood and disliked individuals from the Bible include: Jesus (Matt. 11:18-19), Moses (Num. 12:1), David (Ps. 69:4), and Paul (2nd Cor. 11:24-27).
“What does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, but ruin or lose himself?”
(Luke 9:25)

GOOD SENSE
I enjoy approval from people. Therefore, I will act in such a manner that they will like me, as long as such actions do not violate my way of life. This will cause many people to like me, but not all of them. It’s too bad that some people will not like some things I do. It is also too bad that some people will never like me at all. It’s too bad — but I can still live a good and enjoyable life even without their approval.

NONSENSE #2
I MUST PROVE TO BE VERY COMPETENT, ADEQUATE AND ACHIEVING IN SOME IMPORTANT AREA OF LIFE IN ORDER TO BE WORTHWHILE!
If I do something important or good, my personhood will be raised to the status of “important” or “good”.

THE BIBLE:
“God commended his love for us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.”
(Rom. 5:8).
“For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
(Rom. 3:23)
“But God, who is rich in mercy, out of the love with which he loved us, even when we were dead through our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ
(it is by grace you have been saved).” (Eph. 2:4-5)

GOOD SENSE
The fact is, no human can be perfect. I will try to do my best, rather than be the best, at whatever I decide God wants me to do. When I am dissatisfied with my work, my personality, or my behavior, I will refuse to put myself down. Instead, I will take positive steps to change my short comings. If I cannot change, I will learn to accept them as unfortunate, but not awful.

NONSENSE #3
WHEN PEOPLE ACT OBNOXIOUSLY AND UNFAIRLY, THEY BECOME BAD, WICKED, ROTTEN INDIVIDUALS, AND I AM RIGHT TO BLAME AND DAMN THEM.
You rotten worm!
You’re a super slob for doing that to me,
or will become a super slob if you ever do it in the future.

THE BIBLE:
“Judge not, that ye be not judged.” (Matt. 7:1)
“Blessed are the merciful ...” (Matt. 5:7)
“Forgive them for they know not what they do.” (Luke 23:34)
“... But I say unto you, love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you and persecute you.”
(Matt. 5:43-44)
“Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone ...
I have not condemned you, go and sin no more.” (John 8:1-11)

GOOD SENSE
Let’s face it. Fish swim, birds fly, and people sin (do obnoxious, unfair things to each other). Humanity will forever have a tendency to act unfairly, and, unfortunately, people will often give in to it. But, bad actions do not knock people off the scale of humanity. When others are unfair to me, I will fight the instinct to blame and condemn them. Instead, and depending on the situation, I will learn to: (1) avoid them, (2) live gracefully with their unfairness, or (3) work with them for change.

(It copies lousy, but here goes)

D

Dave L

Thanks Willie, I need to read this again later. It makes lots of sense. I also listen to "dark humor", making fun of situations and characters might be a key that you need to use caution around them.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NONSENSE #4

IT IS AWFUL, HORRIBLE, TERRIBLE AND UNBEARABLE TO BE SERIOUSLY FRUSTRATED, REJECTED, OR TREATED UNFAIRLY!

This is terrible, and I can’t stand it!

THE BIBLE:

“I have been thoroughly initiated into the human lot with all its ups and downs, fullness, and hunger, plenty and want. I have strength for anything through him who gives me power.” (Phil. 4:12-13)

“... do not fret over your life ... see how the lilies grow; they do not toil, or spin, and yet I tell you that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.” (Matt. 6:25)

“Use every piece of God’s Armor to resist the enemy ...
and when it is all over, you will still be standing.” (Eph. 6:13)

“But man is born unto trouble as the sparks fly upward.” (Job 5:7)

GOOD SENSE
Like everyone else, I dislike being frustrated, rejected and treated unfairly, and I am wise to do everything possible to avoid or overcome such things. But the truth is that I will withstand anything I cannot avoid or change until I die, or it stops. My only real choice is between standing it well or standing it poorly. Believing that anything is awful, horrible, terrible and unbearable will only lead me to stand it poorly instead of well.

NONSENSE #5
HUMANS HAVE LITTLE ABILITY TO CONTROL THEIR FEELINGS GENERALLY AND THEIR DISTURBANCES IN PARTICULAR BECAUSE THESE THINGS ARE TOTALLY CAUSED BY EXTERNAL EVENTS.

They did it to me! I can’t help feeling this way!

THE BIBLE:
“For as a man thinketh in his heart so is he ....” (Prov. 23:7)

“I thought on my ways and turned my feet.” (Ps. 119:59)

“... Be transformed by the renewing of your mind....” (Rom. 12:2)

“For I have learned to find resources in myself whatever my circumstances.” (Phil. 4:11)

GOOD SENSE
I can take charge of my feelings and behavior by changing my beliefs. Perhaps I cannot change quickly and easily, or totally and forever, but with persistent diligent effort I can make some change. If I act on this knowledge, and take responsibility for what I am believing about the difficulties I face in my life, I can give myself less misery and more joy.

NONSENSE #6
IF SOMETHING IS OR MAY BE DANGEROUS OR FEARSOME,
ONE SHOULD BE TERRIBLY CONCERNED ABOUT IT, AND SHOULD KEEP DWELLING ON THE POSSIBILITIES OF IT OCCURRING.
Oh my goodness, what if that happens!? It would be awful!

THE BIBLE:
“Fear thou not, for I am with thee. Be not afraid for I am thy God ....” (Isa. 41:10)

“I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.” (Ps. 23:4)

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition with thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.” (Phil. 4:6-7)

“... Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” (John 14:27)

“Take therefore no thought for the morrow:
for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself.” (Matt. 6:34)

“So far you have faced no trial beyond what man can bear. God keeps faith and will not allow you to be tested above your powers, but when the test comes he will at the same time provide a way by enabling you to sustain it.” (1st Cor. 10:13)

“This is the day which the Lord hath made, we will rejoice and be glad in it.”
(Ps. 118:24)

“God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power and of love, and of sound mind.” (2nd Tim. 1:7)

“Be not afraid of sudden fear, neither of the desolation of the wicked, when it cometh.” (Proverbs 3:25)

GOOD SENSE
Even though I may face harmful and dangerous situations, it is unhealthy and unnecessary to become anxious and painfully worried about the future. The more I worry, the more incapacitated I become, until so much tension is created that I next begin to worry more about the return of tension than the problem that which first led to it. I thus become nervous over becoming nervous again; worry that I may worry; and become anxious that I will become anxious. These responses are hurtful, not helpful. When I worry I “feel” that I am doing something positive about the problem when, in fact, I am not. No bad thing has ever been averted by worry. Besides, worry implies that God is not in control of the universe, or not interested my life. If I believe there is a loving and powerful God taking a personal interest in me, I am wise to leave worry to God and do the best I can.

NONSENSE #7
IT IS EASIER TO AVOID LIFE’S DIFFICULTIES
AND SELF-RESPONSIBILITIES THAN TO FACE THEM.
If I ignore it, maybe it will go away.

THE BIBLE:

David ran to meet Goliath. (1st Sam. 17:48)

“We want you not to become lazy, but to imitate those who,
through faith and patience, are inheriting the promises.” (Heb. 6:11-12)

“The soul of the sluggard desireth, and hath nothing;
but the soul of the diligent shall be abundantly gratified.” (Prov. 13:4)

“Discipline, no doubt, is never pleasant, at the time it seems painful,
but in the end it yields for those who have been trained by it
the peaceful harvest of an honest life. (Heb. 12:11)

GOOD SENSE
Self-discipline is no fun, and examining my problems can be painful. But if I avoid facing them and take the easy way out, I will have more pain and less gain in the long run. If I work on my problems, they will probably get better. If I ignore, avoid, or deny them, they will almost certainly get worse.

Last edited:
D

Dave L

The first three Irrational nonsense thoughts:
NONSENSE #1
I MUST HAVE LOVE AND APPROVAL FROM ALL THE IMPORTANT PEOPLE IN MY LIFE!
Everyone should like me, and it is terrible if they don’t.
THE BIBLE:

“All that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.”
(2nd Tim. 3:12)
“Marvel not my brethren if the world hate you.”
(1st John 3:13)
Jesus promises us the hatred and misunderstanding of the whole world.
(John 15:18-25)
Misunderstood and disliked individuals from the Bible include: Jesus (Matt. 11:18-19), Moses (Num. 12:1), David (Ps. 69:4), and Paul (2nd Cor. 11:24-27).
“What does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, but ruin or lose himself?”
(Luke 9:25)

GOOD SENSE
I enjoy approval from people. Therefore, I will act in such a manner that they will like me, as long as such actions do not violate my way of life. This will cause many people to like me, but not all of them. It’s too bad that some people will not like some things I do. It is also too bad that some people will never like me at all. It’s too bad — but I can still live a good and enjoyable life even without their approval.

NONSENSE #2
I MUST PROVE TO BE VERY COMPETENT, ADEQUATE AND ACHIEVING IN SOME IMPORTANT AREA OF LIFE IN ORDER TO BE WORTHWHILE!
If I do something important or good, my personhood will be raised to the status of “important” or “good”.

THE BIBLE:
“God commended his love for us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.”
(Rom. 5:8).
“For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
(Rom. 3:23)
“But God, who is rich in mercy, out of the love with which he loved us, even when we were dead through our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ
(it is by grace you have been saved).” (Eph. 2:4-5)

GOOD SENSE
The fact is, no human can be perfect. I will try to do my best, rather than be the best, at whatever I decide God wants me to do. When I am dissatisfied with my work, my personality, or my behavior, I will refuse to put myself down. Instead, I will take positive steps to change my short comings. If I cannot change, I will learn to accept them as unfortunate, but not awful.

NONSENSE #3
WHEN PEOPLE ACT OBNOXIOUSLY AND UNFAIRLY, THEY BECOME BAD, WICKED, ROTTEN INDIVIDUALS, AND I AM RIGHT TO BLAME AND DAMN THEM.
You rotten worm!
You’re a super slob for doing that to me,
or will become a super slob if you ever do it in the future.

THE BIBLE:
“Judge not, that ye be not judged.” (Matt. 7:1)
“Blessed are the merciful ...” (Matt. 5:7)
“Forgive them for they know not what they do.” (Luke 23:34)
“... But I say unto you, love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you and persecute you.”
(Matt. 5:43-44)
“Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone ...
I have not condemned you, go and sin no more.” (John 8:1-11)

GOOD SENSE
Let’s face it. Fish swim, birds fly, and people sin (do obnoxious, unfair things to each other). Humanity will forever have a tendency to act unfairly, and, unfortunately, people will often give in to it. But, bad actions do not knock people off the scale of humanity. When others are unfair to me, I will fight the instinct to blame and condemn them. Instead, and depending on the situation, I will learn to: (1) avoid them, (2) live gracefully with their unfairness, or (3) work with them for change.

(It copies lousy, but here goes)
Very useful...thanks. I counter much of this making my thoughts conform the the Ten Commandments. Not coveting people's approval is a real freedom. And not killing them in my thoughts, etc.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NONSENSE #8
I MUST HAVE OTHER PEOPLE UPON WHOM I CAN ALWAYS DEPEND, AND I MUST HAVE SOMEONE STRONGER THAN ME ON WHOM I CAN RELY.
I can’t live life if I’m stuck counting on me.

THE BIBLE:

“For I have learned to find resources in myself whatever my circumstances.” (Phil. 4:11)

“When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I thought as a child;
but when I became a man, I put away childish things.” (1st Cor. 13:11)

“Happy is he whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the Lord his God.” (Psalms 146:5)

GOOD SENSE
It is desirable to have people to rely on when I need help, and there’s nothing wrong with seeking help to carry life’s burdens. Unfortunately, there is often no person around to help me except me. Tough, but true! Refusing to try and live self-reliantly is refusing to try and fulfill my God-given potential to do exactly that: live self-reliantly. Besides, when I believe in a personal God, I am never totally alone.

NONSENSE #9
BECAUSE SOMETHING STRONGLY INFLUENCED MY PAST LIFE, IT HAS TO KEEP DETERMINING MY FEELINGS AND BEHAVIOR TODAY.
It’s not my fault — I was raised this way! My mother (or whoever) started me believing this, and now I can’t change.

THE BIBLE:
“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” (Phil. 4:13)

“Forgetting what is behind me and reaching out for what lies ahead, I press toward the goal to win the prize which is God’s call to the life above in Christ Jesus.” (Phil. 3:13-14)

“When anyone is united in Christ, there is a new world, the older order has gone,
and a new order has already begun.” (2nd Cor. 5:17)

“Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old.
Behold, I am doing a new thing ....” (Isaiah 43:18-19)

GOOD SENSE
My past was important in forming my present character and behavior. But just because I have stuck with a belief for a long time, or practiced a habit for a long time, does not mean I cannot begin the processes of changing these beliefs and habits. Today is tomorrow’s past. If I work diligently and persistently today, and every day, at sticking with different beliefs and establishing different habits, I eventually will have a different past and I will become a different person.

NONSENSE #10
WE SHOULD BECOME UPSET OVER OTHER PEOPLE’S PROBLEMS AND DISTURBANCES.
It’s so awful, terrible and horrible that this has happened to Sally or Sam, but at least my high level of upset shows I am a deeply caring person rather than an unfeeling slob.

THE BIBLE:
“... Let the dead bury their dead ...” (Luke 9:60)

“Martha, Martha, thou art anxious and troubled about many things,
and yet only one thing is needful.” (Luke 10:41-42)

... First take the log out of your own eye, and then
you will see more clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye.” (Matt. 7:5)

GOOD SENSE
Getting upset doesn’t prove I am a “good” person. It only proves I am an upset person. Instead of getting upset over other people’s problems, I am wise to first ask myself if the situation warrants my concern. There are many people in the world with many problems, and it is often wise to let people work at solving their own problems just as I am wise to work at solving my own problems. If another person’s problem does warrant my concern, I can work diligently and persistently to make the best of things now, and assist the person in avoiding harm and cultivating joy in the future. However, there is nothing I can do while I’m quite upset, that I can’t do more effectively and efficiently while I’m not upset.

NONSENSE #11
PEOPLE AND THINGS MUST TURN OUT PERFECTLY. IT’S UNBEARABLE IF I DON’T FIND PERFECT SOLUTIONS TO LIFE’S PROBLEMS, SO I MUST SEEK THOSE SOLUTIONS FRANTICALLY.
Solutions to my problems MUST be PERFECT or I can’t stand it.

THE BIBLE:
“In this world ye shall have tribulation ...” (John 16:33)

“In your patience, you shall possess your souls.” (Luke 21:19)

“Which of you by being anxious about it can add to his stature a single cubit?”
(Matt. 6:27)

GOOD SENSE
Perfection is for God; I am a human. Many times I am stuck with really bad situations and no good solutions. The only real choice I have is between making the best of a truly bad situation, and making something less than the best of that situation. Demanding that I change a bad situation into a good one is claiming the power of God for myself. I am wise to work diligently, persistently and calmly to make the best of every situation, and to remember that what cannot be changed is best accepted, gracefully. I can also make this prayer:

May I seek acceptance of life as I find it,
Even though I may not approve of what I find,
Wisdom to see what would be good to change,
Willingness to both act and follow through, and
Gratitude for the opportunity to live my life as best I can.
Hank Robb, Ph.D.,

ABPP
4550 SW Kruse Way, Suite 225
Lake Oswego, OR 97035
(503) 635-2489

[email protected]

Copyright © 1988 by Hank Robb, Ph.D.

More pamphlets, books, CDs and other materials are available from the

ALBERT ELLIS INSTITUTE
45 East 65th Street, New York, NY
New York:

(212) 535-0822

www.albertellis.org

Last edited:

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The nonsense points come across as just typical Political correct types point of views, that is drummed into people nowadays and picked up, so sadly this type rules the world in vengeance of reality now and it's much like one who needs there nappy changed for them, because they can't deal with such themselves. they love to dictate to others who can deal with the reality's of life because they have had to deal with such things and can overcome, but the PC cry baby's, what can one do with them ? well all they can do is cry ! but there are just so many of them now that they are over running Nations and they do not have the Lord or good sense to guide them.
So such a society will fail badly.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear Willie;

For spirit filled Christians much "apparently" compulsive behavior, as seen by others, can be attributed to the Holy Spirit.

Words of wisdom, words of knowlege, discernment of spirits that move you to action considered strange by others. Just as when Jesus made clay with his spittle and placed it on the man's eyes. How weird did that look to bystanders?

Jesus the gadarene demoniac found, was the perfect prescription for what ailed him.

When first saved my desires and compulsions changed to such an extent that I truly believed I was losing my mind. Of course I was... My natural mind. It was so strange that I convinced myself that I needed to talk with a psyc doctor. I felt that peculiar and alien. I had no man to counsel me and it was perfectly horrible and frightening.

If a chimpanzee suddenly rejected bananas it would be strange. I rejected the Bananas and swinging from limbs and breaking out windows when I came home drunk, wounded of heart and afraid. .

On the way to the university med center I decided to stop and visit my brother Jimmy. While there I began to talk about the Lord, about Jesus and all the things that had beset me.

After an hour or two lifting up Jesus - which I'd never done before, I found myself strangely lifted. No longer afraid. Instead of heading on to the head shrinker I went back home.

A short time after that Jesus prompted me to ask him for that which I knew not existed. His Holy Spirit.

I've never told this to any in all those years since it happened. Until master Jesus takes over the case no progress will be made.

May Jesus never ever leave our case! Amen

Last edited: