"In Christ": What does it really mean?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 2:20 - I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

Reactions: Dropship

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everybody starts out in Adam (Acts 17:26) Jesus too, as it's very easy to
show he was biologically related to David, and from thence to Adam and the
very dust with which Adam was constructed.

But Jesus today is no longer in Adam; having been made the beginner of a
brand new human race (1Cor 15:45-47) wherein everybody will be immortal.
(1Cor 15:22)

The new race will also be incorruptible. (1Cor 15:53, 2Pet 1:4)

Adam wasn't created incorruptible so he was easy meat for a fall. But the folks
of the new race cannot be corrupted; which is a really big advantage
because it means they will never be kicked out of God's kingdom for going
bad.
_

Last edited:

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology says of some of the NT uses of the preposition ἐν (“in”) specifically as found in the phrase “in Christ” (ἐν Χριστῷ):

(a) Incorporative union: .... “those who are in union with Christ Jesus” (Ro. 8:1).... (b) Sphere of reference: “I know a Christian man” (2 Cor. 5:21). “We make our boast in the sphere of Christ Jesus” (Phil. 3:3)... (c) Agency or instrumentality: “They are justified ... through the redemption accomplished by Christ Jesus” (Ro. 3:24). “The veil is not lifted because only through Christ is it removed” (2 Cor. 3:14). (d) Cause:.... “All will be made alive by virtue of their connexion and solidarity with Christ” ( 1 Cor. 15:22). (e) Mode:.... (f) Location: .... “Have this attitude among you that also characterized Christ Jesus” (Phil. 2:5). (g) Authoritative basis: “We urge you on the authority of the Lord Jesus” (1 Thess. 4:1).” - p. 1192, Vol. 3, Zondervan, 1986.

Reactions: DavidB

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The words “in Christ” and similar, i.e.; “in Jesus Christ”, “in Christ Jesus”, “in him’, are used ad nauseam within the Christian world with hardly anyone ever giving any thought whatsoever as to what the words really mean or entail, thus relegating them to nothing more than Christian “buzz words” that sound good and Christian-like.

So what do these words really mean? What does it mean to be “in Christ” and how does one get “in Christ” or into Christ? Is there a specific way stated in the bible? Are there unique benefits for being “in Christ” once one has achieved that state of being “in him”? Are there benefits available to those not being “in Christ”? Can you receive spiritual blessings without being “in Christ”?

These are logical questions that should be asked or considered when one sees or uses these or similar words inferring the same.

There are 146 references in the New Testament (may not be all inclusive, but close if not) using these exact or similar words as those mentioned above. If mentioned that frequently and to that extent, it must be of great importance, so likewise, all should render like importance to these words when using them, clearly understanding what they truly mean and entail.

Consider the suffix “ian” attached to the word “Christ” to become the word Christian; what does "ian" attached to the end a word mean or indicate? One of its meanings is 'from or belonging to'. As it pertains to Christ, it indicates that a Christian is from or belonging to, or in other words, owned by Christ! It should be noted too that the word “Christian” doesn’t mean a believer in or follower of Christ, but rather really means owned by Christ. So, you could be a believer in and follower of Jesus, practice some form of “Christian” religious worship, be devout, moral, etc. etc, but not be owned by Him, not “in him”.

Note that the bible says the following:

1 Cor 6:20 "For ye are bought with a price:"

Acts 20:28 “Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood."

The above clearly states that Christ purchased or bought the church with His own blood, so it's clear that Christians, those owned by Christ, those that are part of his body (the church), have been bought and paid for by his blood which was the price he paid for them who are now “in him”. Therefore, those that are “in” the church are His, and are “in him”.

What are some of the benefits that being owned by or “in Christ” bestowed upon you that are unable to be conferred in any other way according to scripture?

• Be saved, receive redemption, have your sins remitted and added to the Lord’s body which is the church
• Be buried/planted with Him in the likeness of his death thus enabling like resurrection
• Put on Christ and become a Christian and child of God
• Receive the Holy Spirit, spiritual gifts, blessings, have hope, and be made alive in Him

So, how do you become owned by, “in Christ”, and part of the church? The fact of the matter is, there is one specific way mentioned in the bible as to what one must do to be “in Christ” as well as benefits for being “in him” that can only be realized thereby: by baptism.

Rom 6:3 “Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death”?

Gal 3:26/27 “For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ”.

1st Cor 12:13 “For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Rom 6:4 “Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life”.

Col 2:12 “Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead”.

Rom 6:5 “For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection”:

Acts 2:38 “Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost”. 41 “Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls”. 47 “Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.”

• Christ’s body is the church of which He is the head (Col 1:18, Eph 5:23);
• You become part of the church by becoming a part of His body. You become part of His body by being baptized into it.
• In it (His body, the church), you obtain spiritual blessings (Eph 1:3).
• Are you really a Christian without being part of His body, the church, which you are added to upon being baptized (Acts 2:41, 47)?
• If you’re not buried with Him through baptism, can you then still be raised with Him?
My guess is we are positionally in his blood. It could be also, Christ in us too.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You Are “ In Christ “ when Christ is “In You”, and Christ is formed in your heart by Faith.....
Hearts are purified by faith (Acts 15:9) and we are placed/sealed in Christ when we believe the gospel. (Ephesians 1:13) We are baptized by one Spirit into one body.. (1 Corinthians 12:13) This is Spirit baptism and not water baptism. Spirit baptism is the reality of being placed in Christ, which is signified, but not procured in water baptism, which is merely a picture of the reality.

2 Corinthians 5:17 - Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

Reactions: Gospel Believer

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great question, and some good responses:

Galatians 2:20 - I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
You Are “ In Christ “ when Christ is “In You”, and Christ is formed in your heart by Faith.....
Hearts are purified by faith (Acts 15:9) and we are placed/sealed in Christ when we believe the gospel. (Ephesians 1:13) We are baptized by one Spirit into one body.. (1 Corinthians 12:13) This is Spirit baptism and not water baptism. Spirit baptism is the reality of being placed in Christ, which is signified, but NOT procured in water baptism, which is merely a picture of the reality.

2 Corinthians 5:17 - Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
In addition, the OP also asked/gave his view (disagreeing with @mailmandan) of the
'process' of "getting IN"?:
You are "in Christ" by following a process.
So, how do you become owned by, “in Christ”, and part of the church? The fact of the matter is, there is ONE specific way mentioned in the bible as to what one must do to be “in Christ” as well as benefits for being “in him” that can only be realized thereby: by baptism.

Rom 6:3 “Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death”?

Gal 3:26/27 “For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ”.

1st Cor 12:13 “For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Rom 6:4 “Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life”.

Col 2:12 “Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead”.

Rom 6:5 “For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection”:

Acts 2:38 “Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost”. 41 “Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls”. 47 “Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.”...

• Are you really a Christian without being part of His body, the church, which you are added to upon being baptized (Acts 2:41, 47)?
• If you’re not buried with Him through baptism, can you then still be raised with Him?
is it 'by' water? Then WHY would the OP quote this important Passage?:

“For By ONE Spirit are we all Baptized into ONE Body, whether we
be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been
all made to drink into ONE Spirit." (1Co 12:13)​

I did mention to @St. SteVen earlier about homogenization of Scriptures - what think ye?:

1) water baptism Into Christ?
2) Spirit Baptism Into Christ? or, Combo?:
3) Both, TWO baptisms Into Christ?

or?:

Can we solve this Confusion with God's Word Of Truth, Rightly Divided? So, in like manner
of what this "new member" here would suggest: "Have you thought about or Considered,
this alternate view?"

And, I would add 'prayerfully And Carefully'? This may just be ETERNALLY Beneficial, eh?:

4) Three Bible Baptisms, Rightly Divided:

God's Context Of Prophecy/Law for ISRAEL:

►►► The Twelve Were Sent to {water} baptize! ◄◄◄

The TWO Main (of 12) baptismS =

A) water, For remission of sins/induction into Israeli "priesthood!":
(Matthew_3:5-6; Mark_1:4; Luke_3:3; John_1:31; Luke_7:29-30; Acts_10:37)
(Matthew_28:19; Mark_16:16; Acts_2:38, 22:16; Ezekiel_36:25; Isaiah 52:15)
+
B) WITH The Holy Spirit, Poured Out By CHRIST, for power, signs And wonders!
(Isaiah_44:3; Matthew_3:11; Mark_1:8, 16:17-18;
Luke_24:49; Acts_2:17-18, 38, 8:15-17, 11:16)
Prophecy/Law for ISRAEL!

Rightly Divided (2 Timothy 2:15) From “Things That Differ” (online)

God's Other Context Of Mystery/GRACE! =

our "apostle to the Gentiles" for The Body Of CHRIST:
►►► Paul Was Not Sent to {water} baptize! Why Not?: ◄◄◄
Today:

Only ONE Baptism = "BY" The ONE Spirit = God's OPERATION {#13},
Spiritually Identifying members In (The ONE Body Of) CHRIST!!
(Ephesians_4:5; Colossians_2:12; Galatians_3:27;
Romans_6:3-4; 1_Corinthians_12:13 KJB!)

Conclusion: God's ONE Baptism Today? = ONE

Or, Equals two? = water problem with God's Math! Correct?
----------------------------------------------------------
Precious friend(s), appreciate your attentive Consideration of This Important Matter!

Grace, Peace, And JOY In Christ, And In His Word Of Truth, Rightly
Divided (+ I and II)
!

Last edited:
Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We definitely want both. However I view this a bit differently.
1) Water baptism in the name of Jesus (public confession of faith) see verse 5 below.
2) The Baptism with the Holy Spirit (for power in spiritual gifts - manifestations of the Spirit) Verse 6.
Biblical support below. This is my chosen tradition. I do not criticize others for theirs.
We dedicate babies and practice believers baptism. (public confession of faith)

Acts 19:1-7 NIV
While Apollos was at Corinth, Paul took the road through the interior and arrived at Ephesus. There he found some disciples
2 and asked them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when[a] you believed?”
They answered, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”
3 So Paul asked, “Then what baptism did you receive?”
“John’s baptism,” they replied.
4 Paul said, “John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” 5 On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues[b] and prophesied. 7 There were about twelve men in all.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did mention to @St. SteVen earlier about homogenization of Scriptures - what think ye?:

We definitely want both.
Thanks So Much for more Great Discussion! You say "we," but do you mean "you"?
I definitely want What God Requires of "me." (Scriptures listed in the rest of #30)
However I view this a bit differently.
1) Water baptism in the name of Jesus (public confession of faith) see verse 5 below... ...Act 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
Have you ever considered, a view of "the transition period (from wherein this
account is found) From Law (2 baptisms) Over To Grace (ONE Baptism)"?:

1) They (12 disciples) only knew 'John's baptism' (v 3), Correct? Before The Cross:
a) Was this baptism a "public confession of faith (Scripture?)," or, the "baptism​
of repentance FOR the remission of sins" (Mark 1:4; Luke 3:3, 7:29-30)?​
b) IF they were already baptized and were forgiven of sins, having salvation (Mark 16:16),​
then do they now need (per God's Scriptures?), a Second "public confession"?​

After The Cross:
c) Or, according to Peter's response to "what shall we do," do they need to be RE-baptized:​

"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every​
one of you in The Name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins,​
and [then?] ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." (Acts 2:38)​

d) If that is true of these twelve, then Paul would not have had to lay...:​

"...his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and​
they spake with tongues, and prophesied." (v 6),​
Contrary to what Peter said, Correct?​

==============

or: briefly better asked/answered by a better teacher than me?:

"“Why did Paul rebaptize John’s disciples at Ephesus?” (Acts 19:1-7).​

According to the biblical record he didn’t. Notice the apostle doesn’t ask if these disciples
had been water baptized. Rather, he inquires if they had received the Holy Spirit. This is the
primary theme of the context.

“He [Paul] said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since
ye believed?”

To which they responded: “And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether
there be any Holy Ghost.” That is, we have not so much as heard that the Holy Spirit had
come. Here we must remember that many of the Jews were still scattered abroad after
the captivities. Apparently word had not yet reached them that the promise of the
Father had been fulfilled on the day of Pentecost.

“Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying
unto the people, that they should believe on Him which should come after him,
that is, on Christ Jesus. When they heard this, they were baptized in The Name
of The LORD Jesus.”

The phrase, “When they heard this...” is referring to what John said to his followers, namely,
that they should believe on Him. Consequently, these disciples were water baptized by John
after they acknowledged that Christ was the Messiah.

“And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost
came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
And all the men were about twelve.”

Once these disciples received the Holy Spirit they would have been enlightened to the fact
that God was setting Israel aside in unbelief. In the course of time the filling of the Spirit
enabled them to confirm this to the Glory of God (Acts 18:5,6 cf. Rom. 11:11-15)."
—Pastor Sadler 'link'
--------------
Thanks again @St. SteVen, for Great Discussion, and I also appreciate a student who
does his homework, and for your Wonderful Kindness of "not criticizing other views."

Be Encouraged and Edified...

Ga, also known as St. Christopher

• Love

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey, brother. Always good to hear from you. Be blessed.
Thanks So Much for more Great Discussion! You say "we," but do you mean "you"?
I definitely want What God Requires of "me." (Scriptures listed in the rest of #30)
Reminds me of a Monty Python movie. "We are the knights who say, 'We'."- LOL
Anyway... yes, of course. I want (for you) what God requires of... (insert proper pronoun here)
Have you ever considered, a view of "the transition period (from wherein this
account is found) From Law (2 baptisms) Over To Grace (ONE Baptism)"?:

1) They (12 disciples) only knew 'John's baptism' (v 3), Correct? Before The Cross:
a) Was this baptism a "public confession of faith (Scripture?)," or, the "baptismof repentance FOR the remission of sins" (Mark 1:4; Luke 3:3, 7:29-30)?b) IF they were already baptized and were forgiven of sins, having salvation (Mark 16:16),then do they now need (per God's Scriptures?), a Second "public confession"?
After The Cross:
c) Or, according to Peter's response to "what shall we do," do they need to be RE-baptized:
"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized everyone of you in The Name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins,and [then?] ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." (Acts 2:38)
d) If that is true of these twelve, then Paul would not have had to lay...:
"...his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; andthey spake with tongues, and prophesied." (v 6),Contrary to what Peter said, Correct?
==============

or: briefly better asked/answered by a better teacher than me?:

"“Why did Paul rebaptize John’s disciples at Ephesus?” (Acts 19:1-7).
According to the biblical record he didn’t. Notice the apostle doesn’t ask if these disciples
had been water baptized. Rather, he inquires if they had received the Holy Spirit. This is the
primary theme of the context.

“He [Paul] said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost sinceye believed?”
To which they responded: “And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether
there be any Holy Ghost.” That is, we have not so much as heard that the Holy Spirit had
come. Here we must remember that many of the Jews were still scattered abroad after
the captivities. Apparently word had not yet reached them that the promise of the
Father had been fulfilled on the day of Pentecost.

“Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on Him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. When they heard this, they were baptized in The Name of The LORD Jesus.”
The phrase, “When they heard this...” is referring to what John said to his followers, namely,
that they should believe on Him. Consequently, these disciples were water baptized by John
after they acknowledged that Christ was the Messiah.

“And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghostcame on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. And all the men were about twelve.”
Once these disciples received the Holy Spirit they would have been enlightened to the fact
that God was setting Israel aside in unbelief. In the course of time the filling of the Spirit
enabled them to confirm this to the Glory of God (Acts 18:5,6 cf. Rom. 11:11-15)."
—Pastor Sadler 'link'
--------------
Thanks again @St. SteVen, for Great Discussion, and I also appreciate a student who
does his homework, and for your Wonderful Kindness of "not criticizing other views."

Be Encouraged and Edified...

Ga, also known as St. Christopher
I simplified my presentation by choosing a single passage that contained the elements I wanted to discuss.
There is much more to it, of course. Here's how I get TWO baptisms.

We seem to be in agreement on the importance of water baptism. (the importance, not the purpose)
So, no need to labor that point. Here's the second baptism I see.

I'm Pentecostal/Charismatic, obviously. To me (we? - LOL) the Baptism with the Holy Spirit is a subsequent experience.
As it was for the disciples and any believer after the outpouring at Pentecost.

Luke 3:16 NIV
John answered them all, “I baptize you with[a] water. But one who is more powerful than I will come, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Acts 1:4-5 NIV
On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: “Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. 5 For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.”

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, even to the point of how we see ourselves which is mostly (at least in my case) as unworthy.
Our status is now Princes and Princesses of the Kingdom and we are bidden to see ourselves as such.
That is exactly as we all should feel I think, "unworthy". Because we are! I think we can take that too far and move into self loathing territory...:oops:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is exactly as we all should feel I think, "unworthy". Because we are! I think we can take that too far and move into self loathing territory...:oops:
Yeah, and self-loathing isn't what God wants from us. C.S. Lewis said it's better if we just don't think about ourselves at all. That's what real humility is all about.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Nancy

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
......not when you realize that we are “Made Worthy” by the Blood Of The Lamb....
And Jesus's people are loved.

What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us? ... Who will bring charges against God’s elect? God is the one who justifies; who is the one who condemns? ... For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:31-39)

Last edited:

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, and self-loathing isn't what God wants from us. C.S. Lewis said it's better if we just don't think about ourselves at all. That's what real humility is all about.
And, What Saith The Scriptures?:

Rom 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.
+
Php 2:4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.
+
Php_2:3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

Amen.