In the image of God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What does it truly mean to be made in the image of God? What does this phrase mean to you personally?

God bless

Reactions: Azim and Dropship

XFire

May 14, 2022
San jose
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christian. Think real hard
When does a puppy become a dog???
Please read
psalms 82 6
John 10.33-36
Rom 8 17
We were given the same measure of faith that Jesus has. It is cause the distractions of the flesh we can't bring forth in faith.
We have Dominion over the earth but can't bring forth cause of our dead denominations and fleshly religions.
Gain the fruit of the HS. Love joy peace patience faithfulness kindness goodness meekness and above all self control.
And in the power that we have to create. Bring forth the Kingdom of God now in your sphere of influence

Reactions: lightlysalted

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Working with the human data given in the book of Genesis, I think we may
safely conclude that God is:

1» a person

2» sentient

3» regulated

4» responsible

5» a plurality

6» intelligent

7» sociable

8» verbal

9» imaginative

10» conscionable
_

Last edited:
Reactions: post

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Although Adam was made in the image of God, his imagery wasn't precise.
The Hebrew word used to describe Adam's imagery in Genesis is tselem
(tseh'-lem) which pertains to phantoms, illusions, and/or representative
figures, viz: idols, mannequins, and or totem poles, etc.

The shadow of a tree is something like Adam's likeness of God. On the
ground, a tree's shadow is little more than an irregular puddle of contrasts,
just a patchy smirch. But when we look up, oh! the tree comes alive with
color and detail. We can see how tall it is, the features of the bark, and the
shape and texture of the leaves and how they are arranged on the branches.

And then we notice that the tree is an ecosystem in itself; a habitat for
insects and other creatures impossible to discern in the tree's shadow. When
humans look at themselves, they don't see a precise duplicate of God; no,
all they really see is something representative of God, i.e. a sort of Pinocchio,
viz: God's handiwork.
_

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does it truly mean to be made in the image of God? What does this phrase mean to you personally?

God bless
The image is personal...but I am not answering as opinion.

The image cast into us is that of God, it is revelation, that we may know Him.

Many things can be drawn from the parable--and it is indeed a parable, including all creation. Just as seeing Christ is to see the Father, our image is also an image of God's character made manifest: Having two feet, legs, arms, hands, ears, and eyes, etc., and the fulness of ten fingers and toes...but one heart, one Head, and one mind.

And history is His story.

Reactions: lightlysalted

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @friend of,

To me it means that when the Word of God came down into being born into flesh named Jesus, he was the image of the invisible God. He was the very expression and representation of God's heart, mind, will, and emotions, and He was always pressed into not doing his own will, but that very will of His Father.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God bless

To imitate Him to the best of our ability. The only human that has been able to do that is Jesus however. We just try our best to imitate them Friend.

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness

The is a figure of speech used called Hendiadys Two words employed, linked by a conjunction…. but only one thing or idea, intended. Which would render this … the likeness of our image.

The scripture does specifically state what “likeness of image” is, although we know God [is] a spirit Jhn 4:24. We also know God is light 1Jo 1:5, and that God is love 1Jo 4:8.....which could be what God is or attributes thereof.

Jhn 4:24, along with other NT scripture, informs us that…. in order to communicate with God, we need spirit….which brings me to → what was lost when Adam and Ishshâh catastrophically messed up in Gen 2:17for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die….(or dying that shalt die)

We know they (Adam and Eve) physically lived for some 800 years afterwards …and if it was the seed’s of death (as some suggest) that were planted in them…. then why the consequences of being removed from the garden and the awareness of being naked…
Could it be……that what died… was the spiritual connection that they had with God?? Because Gen 5:3 states that Adams offspring were in his natural “likeness of image” …not God’s

The Bible doesn’t specifically say…but we know from the Word, that in order for God to communicate with man throughout the OT, God had to come in some form of concretion, or place His spirit upon man “conditionally”….But now, because of what Jesus Christ accomplished…we have the availability of communicating with God by being born again and having His spirit within unconditionally….What Adam lost………….. Jesus Christ restored.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jhn 4:24
God
[is] a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

A spirit has no form
Yes it does have form....the Holy Spirit descended upon Jesus at His baptism in the form of a dove.
Appeared as cloven flames of fire on the Day of Pentecost. "SPIRIT" means wind in Hebrew and the Holy Spirit is referred to as a rushing mighty wind.
The physical world that we see today was without form, and void and darkness was the earth...
“And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.”
— Genesis 1:2 (KJV)
When God gave it form it came from His own mouth...it produced out of His own essence.
The physical was created by the spiritual..
“Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.”
— Hebrews 11:3 (KJV)
“While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.”
— 2 Corinthians 4:18 (KJV)

So what purpose would there be for Jesus to declare He has prepared a place for you for in His Father's "HOUSE" are many mansions.

Would a spirit have any need of a house? A mansion? And what about God...He "sits" on His throne in Heaven.

These are all very complex truths that we still are trying to understand. But when God said He made man in His image...He meant in His image.
Amen?
Jm2c worth...God Bless

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes it does have form....the Holy Spirit descended upon Jesus at His baptism in the form of a dove.
Appeared as cloven flames of fire on the Day of Pentecost. "SPIRIT" means wind in Hebrew and the Holy Spirit is referred to as a rushing mighty wind.
The physical world that we see today was without form, and void and darkness was the earth...
“And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.”
— Genesis 1:2 (KJV)
When God gave it form it came from His own mouth...it produced out of His own essence.
The physical was created by the spiritual..
“Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.”
— Hebrews 11:3 (KJV)
“While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.”
— 2 Corinthians 4:18 (KJV)

So what purpose would there be for Jesus to declare He has prepared a place for you for in His Father's "HOUSE" are many mansions.

Would a spirit have any need of a house? A mansion? And what about God...He "sits" on His throne in Heaven.

These are all very complex truths that we still are trying to understand. But when God said He made man in His image...He meant in His image.
Amen?
Jm2c worth...God Bless
Can you see the spirit of God that is in you?

When Christ was raised a spiritual body there would be no way for him to pass through the hardened grave cloths (which were still intact) if there was any form to Him.

I think you expressed what I was saying with the Hebrew definition of Spirit…being that of wind….no form

Many years ago, before getting into the Word my occupation was operating devil spirits…(fallen angels) I can assure you ...spirit or spirit beings do not have form…But they can take on form… be they good …or fallen.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Working with the human data given in the book of Genesis, I think we may
safely conclude that God is:

1» a person

2» sentient

3» regulated

4» responsible

5» plural

6» intelligent

7» sociable

8» verbal

9» imaginative

10» conscionable
_

I like your list, with the exception of your 5th point.

According to Deut 6:4, God is a singularity. However, according to the
Bible's very first three verses; He wears more than one hat.

» God as Himself (Gen 1:1)

» God as His spirit (Gen 1:2)

» God as His voice (Gen 1:3)
_

“God is a person” (your 1st point) fits precisely with your point that “God is a singularity.”

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God bless
It means we have arms and legs, a face etc. And God is in that same human form. Both God the Father and Jesus the Christ.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you see the spirit of God that is in you?

When Christ was raised a spiritual body there would be no way for him to pass through the hardened grave cloths (which were still intact) if there was any form to Him.

I think you expressed what I was saying with the Hebrew definition of Spirit…being that of wind….no form

Many years ago, before getting into the Word my occupation was operating devil spirits…(fallen angels) I can assure you ...spirit or spirit beings do not have form…But they can take on form… be they good …or fallen.
I suppose you need to define form....
Everything has a form of something...does it not...otherwise it wouldn't exist.
So whether they have a spiritual body or a physical body both are a form of something...we understand humans are made up of molecular structures....but those molecular structures were formed by the unseen structures (spirit).
Spiritual beings generally have to manifest through something tangible or physical in order to interact with mankind...and physical beings cannot enter into the spiritual realm without having a spiritual body.
imho...IMHO....
God Bless

PS...these are my thoughts and understanding of the topic at hand...not trying to raise any opposition to what you are saying and I am always open to hear solid teaching.
:)

Last edited: