Inevitably Two Masters

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bartholomew Jones

Nov 6, 2020
Uniontown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apparently Christ did say we will have to choose servanthood to one of two inevitable masters. You will hate God, and love money. Or, you will be devoted to God, and despise money.

You will have two masters, despising one (context); otherwise hating one. You can't be a (household) servant to the two.

Luke 16:13

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apparently Christ did say we will have to choose servanthood to one of two inevitable masters. You will hate God, and love money. Or, you will be devoted to God, and despise money.

You will have two masters, despising one (context); otherwise hating one. You can't be a (household) servant to the two.

Brother, not to offend you, but you have taken that scripture out of context to mean and say something it doesn't.

This is why we must be knowledgeable of His Word so when things like this happen they are able to recognize it as false.
So Jesus spoke a parable and this is it...
Luke 16 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
¹ And he said also unto his disciples, There was a certain rich man, which had a steward; and the same was accused unto him that he had wasted his goods.
² And he called him, and said unto him, How is it that I hear this of thee? give an account of thy stewardship; for thou mayest be no longer steward.
³ Then the steward said within himself, What shall I do? for my lord taketh away from me the stewardship: I cannot dig; to beg I am ashamed.
⁴ I am resolved what to do, that, when I am put out of the stewardship, they may receive me into their houses.
⁵ So he called every one of his lord's debtors unto him, and said unto the first, How much owest thou unto my lord?
⁶ And he said, An hundred measures of oil. And he said unto him, Take thy bill, and sit down quickly, and write fifty.
⁷ Then said he to another, And how much owest thou? And he said, An hundred measures of wheat. And he said unto him, Take thy bill, and write fourscore.
⁸ And the lord commended the unjust steward, because he had done wisely: for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light.
⁹ And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations.
¹⁰ He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much.
¹¹ If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches?
¹² And if ye have not been faithful in that which is another man's, who shall give you that which is your own?
¹³ No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
¹⁴ And the Pharisees also, who were covetous, heard all these things: and they derided him.
¹⁵ And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.

Reactions: Nancy and Ziggy

Bartholomew Jones

Nov 6, 2020
Uniontown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're making a statement, without establishing it: that it's being taken out of context. Now establish what you said.

This is what people do in the church. They're the same as the world.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

@Bartholomew Jones Just think of all the money that rolls around religious activities in North America...

Bartholomew Jones

Nov 6, 2020
Uniontown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Brother, not to offend you, but you have taken that scripture out of context to mean and say something it doesn't.

This is why we must be knowledgeable of His Word so when things like this happen they are able to recognize it as false.
So Jesus spoke a parable and this is it...
Luke 16 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
¹ And he said also unto his disciples, There was a certain rich man, which had a steward; and the same was accused unto him that he had wasted his goods.
² And he called him, and said unto him, How is it that I hear this of thee? give an account of thy stewardship; for thou mayest be no longer steward.
³ Then the steward said within himself, What shall I do? for my lord taketh away from me the stewardship: I cannot dig; to beg I am ashamed.
⁴ I am resolved what to do, that, when I am put out of the stewardship, they may receive me into their houses.
⁵ So he called every one of his lord's debtors unto him, and said unto the first, How much owest thou unto my lord?
⁶ And he said, An hundred measures of oil. And he said unto him, Take thy bill, and sit down quickly, and write fifty.
⁷ Then said he to another, And how much owest thou? And he said, An hundred measures of wheat. And he said unto him, Take thy bill, and write fourscore.
⁸ And the lord commended the unjust steward, because he had done wisely: for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light.
⁹ And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations.
¹⁰ He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much.
¹¹ If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches?
¹² And if ye have not been faithful in that which is another man's, who shall give you that which is your own?
¹³ No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
¹⁴ And the Pharisees also, who were covetous, heard all these things: and they derided him.
¹⁵ And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.
I've read this carefully, with much thought, and fellowship with the Father, many years. Establish what you've said.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You made it to seem as if it was money that was the problem...it was the lesson of the unjust stewart that the proverb refers to and how he chose to do the right thing to those in debt to him.

Reactions: Nancy and historyb

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Look everyone.... MONEY IS NOT EVIL...
Coveting money is....idolizing money.
.loving money.
Our Father wants us to be prosperous....
Solomon was blessed greatly and became very prosperous....however he let his wealth corrupt him.

Reactions: Nancy and historyb

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rom 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

1Ti 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Mic 2:1 Woe to them that devise iniquity, and work evil upon their beds! when the morning is light, they practise it, because it is in the power of their hand.
Mic 2:2 And they covet fields, and take them by violence; and houses, and take them away: so they oppress a man and his house, even a man and his heritage.

Mar 12:38 And he said unto them in his doctrine, Beware of the scribes, which love to go in long clothing, and love salutations in the marketplaces,
Mar 12:39 And the chief seats in the synagogues, and the uppermost rooms at feasts:
Mar 12:40 Which devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayers: these shall receive greater damnation.

Mar 12:41 And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much.
Mar 12:42 And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.
Mar 12:43 And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury:
Mar 12:44 For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.

Pray for me...:(
It's going to cost you.. ;)

Thou shalt not covet.

Act 3:1 Now Peter and John went up together into the temple at the hour of prayer, being the ninth hour.
Act 3:2 And a certain man lame from his mother's womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms of them that entered into the temple;
Act 3:3 Who seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple asked an alms.
Act 3:4 And Peter, fastening his eyes upon him with John, said, Look on us.
Act 3:5 And he gave heed unto them, expecting to receive something of them.
Act 3:6 Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.
Act 3:7 And he took him by the right hand, and lifted him up: and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength.
Act 3:8 And he leaping up stood, and walked, and entered with them into the temple, walking, and leaping, and praising God.
Act 3:9 And all the people saw him walking and praising God:
Act 3:10 And they knew that it was he which sat for alms at the Beautiful gate of the temple: and they were filled with wonder and amazement at that which had happened unto him.

alms: mercy, pity
esp. as exhibited in giving alms, charity
the benefaction itself, a donation to the poor, alms

Thank You
:)
Hugs

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Establish what you said intelligently. You said it was taken out of context. Establish what you said.
You said Apparently Christ did say we would have to choose servanthood to one of two masters....(ad lib)...serve God and hate money, or love money and hate God. Then posted John 16:13 as your reference...which it does not say what you said.
Lost connection...
Above that verse it states he who is faithful in the least is also faithful in much
..he who is unjust in the least is unjust in much.

Last edited:

Bartholomew Jones

Nov 6, 2020
Uniontown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You said Apparently Christ did say we would have to choose servanthood to one of two masters....(ad lib)...serve God and hate money, or love money and hate God. Then posted John 16:13 as your reference...which it does not say what you said.
See. You twist.

Actually I said, as Christ said, you will "hate God, love money, be devoted to God, despise money," it's to be read respectively. You said that I said vice versa. Get it right miss/Mrs cunning.

Last edited:

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See. You twist.

Actually I said, as Christ said, you will "hate God, love money, be devoted to God, despise money," it's to be read respectively. You said that I said vice versa. Get it right cunning man.
I said ad lib in parentheses meaning what follows is not an exact quote ..does it matter which order?
And I am a woman!
And whichever order it still does not say what you imply.

Reactions: Nancy