INTEGRITY

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
"INTEGRITY... DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!" - PROVERBS 10:9
He who walks with integrity walks securely, but he who perverts his ways will become known. - Proverbs 10:9

What is the single most important trait of a person who desires to truly make a difference in our world today? Some would say it is intellect. After all, knowledge is power in many ways. Others contend it is intensity, that spirit of conquest accompanied by a passion that becomes contagious. Still others suggest it is insight, good old common sense, along with the ability to clearly see certain issues. However, I contend the most important trait is integrity. We have all known people along life’s journey who have incredible intellect, but no integrity, and they are no longer in the race. Others possessing amazing intensity and passion but little integrity have gone the same way. The same is true of people with keen insight but no integrity. Integrity is our most valuable commodity.

Integrity is that state or quality of being complete, and it is freedom from corrupting influences or motives. The thesaurus equates it with such words as honesty, completeness, and incorruptibility. Yes, “he who walks with integrity walks securely.”

Each of us lives in four distinct spheres of life and influence. You live in a private world. There is a part of you where no one really goes. Not even those closest to us--our husbands, our wives--know all our private thoughts. No one invades your private world except you . . . and the God who knows all your private thoughts. You also live in a personal world. This is the part of you that you share with a small circle of immediate family and perhaps a few friends who really know you intimately. Next comes your professional world. This existence consists of dozens or even scores of men and women who, although they do not know you personally, much less privately, know you in a professional setting. Finally, you live in a public world. This is the world in which people have never met you personally or dealt with you professionally, but they have formed an opinion about you. We call this our public persona. The reality of these four spheres raises an important question: where is integrity in life rooted?

INTEGRITY IS ROOTED IN ONE'S PRIVATE LIFE
Integrity stems from an inner code, not an outer promotion. Integrity is rooted in that private life we develop alone with God in the secret, hidden place. We often hear architects, engineers, or builders say, “This building has structural integrity.” That is, the public beauty of a tall skyscraper relies on its private, unseen foundation that is dug deep into the earth and solidly constructed. It is that hidden life of a building that brings structural integrity. It is the hidden life of an orange tree, that unseen root system that digs deep into the earth, that produces those juicy, delectable fruits. And so it is with us. Integrity is rooted in the private life.

What made a man like Billy Graham so influential and so trusted for so many decades? Was it his intellect? Was it his intensity? No. It was, without question, his unblemished integrity that earned him a prolonged hearing. King Solomon had it right: “The integrity of the upright will guide them” (Proverbs 11:3).

INTEGRITY IS REFLECTED IN ONE'S PERSONAL LIFE
Once integrity is rooted in our private life, it begins to be reflected in our relationships with those closest to us. Many seem to think that integrity is rooted in these close interpersonal experiences, but it is not. It is only reflected there, if, in fact, we are men and women of integrity. If you want to know whether I have integrity, ask my wife or my daughters who really know me in the intimacy of close family relationships. Integrity does not find its roots in the personal world. However, it is certainly reflected there.

INTERGRITY IS REINFORCED IN ONE'S PROFESSIONAL LIFE
What about your professional life, that sphere of life that is ever widening? If you have a hidden life where your own integrity finds its roots, it will not only be reflected in your close relationships with those around you, but it will also be reinforced in your day-to-day dealings in the work world. Integrity is reinforced on the anvil of personal experience and practiced in the marketplace.

Our greatest opportunity to make a difference and engage our culture is out in the marketplace. It is imperative that, as Christians, we are men and women of integrity in the professional world around us. There is a small and decreasing percentage of people in our cities in church on Sunday mornings. However, on Monday, multitudes enter the marketplace. They take note of individuals of integrity. Integrity is not rooted in our professional life; it is only reinforced there. That is, if we truly possess it.

INTERGRITY IS REVEALED IN ONE'S PUBLIC LIFE
Once we are thrust into the public arena, it is too late to look for integrity. If we do not already possess it, it is too late. However, some seek to put a spin on their personal promotion in a hopeless effort to somehow lead others to believe they are people of integrity. But integrity is not rooted in spin, it’s rooted in our private world. Solomon’s words ring true today: “He who walks with integrity walks securely, but he who perverts his ways will become known.”

When integrity is rooted in the private world, it is reflected in the personal world, reinforced in the professional world, and, ultimately, revealed in the public world for the glory of the God whom we love and serve. As you memorize this verse, meditate on your own private life. Bring focus to that time alone with God, to your hidden life. Then “all these things shall be added to you” (Matthew 6:33).

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Pearl

God with regard to the integrity of Job:

"And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? and still he holdeth fast his integrity, although thou movedst me against him, to destroy him without cause." Job 2:3

Then Job's wife with regard to the man's integrity:

"Then said his wife unto him, Dost thou still retain thine integrity? curse God, and die." Job 2:9

And then Job in response to her attack against God surely manifests his own integrity:

"But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips" Job 2:10

During his ordeals, Job may indeed have slipped a bit with his mouth and thoughts even displaying a bit of pride, but never complete defeat. God had it right about the man because the intentions within the heart of Job and his concerted efforts in spite of the forces of the Satan against him did not and could not break down his... what? His integrity!

His wife had a carnal view and looking at it carnally it is hard to blame her. He [and likely thereby, she as well] had lost seemingly all that was of value. That is, all that is of value to most men. Those with integrity have something else, do they not? Job in all of his torment loved God and trusted God, even though he certainly did not understand what had happened and was happening to him.

"...shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil?..."

Really, no sin, in the very worst of times. That is integrity before God, is it not?

"All the while my breath is in me, and the spirit of God is in my nostrils;
My lips shall not speak wickedness, nor my tongue utter deceit." Job 27:3-4

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"INTEGRITY... DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!" - PROVERBS 10:9
He who walks with integrity walks securely, but he who perverts his ways will become known. - Proverbs 10:9

What is the single most important trait of a person who desires to truly make a difference in our world today? Some would say it is intellect. After all, knowledge is power in many ways. Others contend it is intensity, that spirit of conquest accompanied by a passion that becomes contagious. Still others suggest it is insight, good old common sense, along with the ability to clearly see certain issues. However, I contend the most important trait is integrity. We have all known people along life’s journey who have incredible intellect, but no integrity, and they are no longer in the race. Others possessing amazing intensity and passion but little integrity have gone the same way. The same is true of people with keen insight but no integrity. Integrity is our most valuable commodity.

Integrity is that state or quality of being complete, and it is freedom from corrupting influences or motives. The thesaurus equates it with such words as honesty, completeness, and incorruptibility. Yes, “he who walks with integrity walks securely.”

Each of us lives in four distinct spheres of life and influence. You live in a private world. There is a part of you where no one really goes. Not even those closest to us--our husbands, our wives--know all our private thoughts. No one invades your private world except you . . . and the God who knows all your private thoughts. You also live in a personal world. This is the part of you that you share with a small circle of immediate family and perhaps a few friends who really know you intimately. Next comes your professional world. This existence consists of dozens or even scores of men and women who, although they do not know you personally, much less privately, know you in a professional setting. Finally, you live in a public world. This is the world in which people have never met you personally or dealt with you professionally, but they have formed an opinion about you. We call this our public persona. The reality of these four spheres raises an important question: where is integrity in life rooted?

INTEGRITY IS ROOTED IN ONE'S PRIVATE LIFE
Integrity stems from an inner code, not an outer promotion. Integrity is rooted in that private life we develop alone with God in the secret, hidden place. We often hear architects, engineers, or builders say, “This building has structural integrity.” That is, the public beauty of a tall skyscraper relies on its private, unseen foundation that is dug deep into the earth and solidly constructed. It is that hidden life of a building that brings structural integrity. It is the hidden life of an orange tree, that unseen root system that digs deep into the earth, that produces those juicy, delectable fruits. And so it is with us. Integrity is rooted in the private life.

What made a man like Billy Graham so influential and so trusted for so many decades? Was it his intellect? Was it his intensity? No. It was, without question, his unblemished integrity that earned him a prolonged hearing. King Solomon had it right: “The integrity of the upright will guide them” (Proverbs 11:3).

INTEGRITY IS REFLECTED IN ONE'S PERSONAL LIFE
Once integrity is rooted in our private life, it begins to be reflected in our relationships with those closest to us. Many seem to think that integrity is rooted in these close interpersonal experiences, but it is not. It is only reflected there, if, in fact, we are men and women of integrity. If you want to know whether I have integrity, ask my wife or my daughters who really know me in the intimacy of close family relationships. Integrity does not find its roots in the personal world. However, it is certainly reflected there.

INTERGRITY IS REINFORCED IN ONE'S PROFESSIONAL LIFE
What about your professional life, that sphere of life that is ever widening? If you have a hidden life where your own integrity finds its roots, it will not only be reflected in your close relationships with those around you, but it will also be reinforced in your day-to-day dealings in the work world. Integrity is reinforced on the anvil of personal experience and practiced in the marketplace.

Our greatest opportunity to make a difference and engage our culture is out in the marketplace. It is imperative that, as Christians, we are men and women of integrity in the professional world around us. There is a small and decreasing percentage of people in our cities in church on Sunday mornings. However, on Monday, multitudes enter the marketplace. They take note of individuals of integrity. Integrity is not rooted in our professional life; it is only reinforced there. That is, if we truly possess it.

INTERGRITY IS REVEALED IN ONE'S PUBLIC LIFE
Once we are thrust into the public arena, it is too late to look for integrity. If we do not already possess it, it is too late. However, some seek to put a spin on their personal promotion in a hopeless effort to somehow lead others to believe they are people of integrity. But integrity is not rooted in spin, it’s rooted in our private world. Solomon’s words ring true today: “He who walks with integrity walks securely, but he who perverts his ways will become known.”

When integrity is rooted in the private world, it is reflected in the personal world, reinforced in the professional world, and, ultimately, revealed in the public world for the glory of the God whom we love and serve. As you memorize this verse, meditate on your own private life. Bring focus to that time alone with God, to your hidden life. Then “all these things shall be added to you” (Matthew 6:33).

Great article Pat,
Yes, integrity to me is to "walk in the light as He is in the light" So, don't do things in private that you wouldn't around others.
Good subject!
xx

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Pearl

God with regard to the integrity of Job:

"And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? and still he holdeth fast his integrity, although thou movedst me against him, to destroy him without cause." Job 2:3

Then Job's wife with regard to the man's integrity:

"Then said his wife unto him, Dost thou still retain thine integrity? curse God, and die." Job 2:9

And then Job in response to her attack against God surely manifests his own integrity:

"But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips" Job 2:10

During his ordeals, Job may indeed have slipped a bit with his mouth and thoughts even displaying a bit of pride, but never complete defeat. God had it right about the man because the intentions within the heart of Job and his concerted efforts in spite of the forces of the Satan against him did not and could not break down his... what? His integrity!

His wife had a carnal view and looking at it carnally it is hard to blame her. He [and likely thereby, she as well] had lost seemingly all that was of value. That is, all that is of value to most men. Those with integrity have something else, do they not? Job in all of his torment loved God and trusted God, even though he certainly did not understand what had happened and was happening to him.

"...shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil?..."

Really, no sin, in the very worst of times. That is integrity before God, is it not?

"All the while my breath is in me, and the spirit of God is in my nostrils;
My lips shall not speak wickedness, nor my tongue utter deceit." Job 27:3-4

Good tie in here. Really brings the points home.

From Wikipedia:

Integrity is the practice of being honest and showing a consistent and uncompromising adherence to strong moral and ethical principles and values.

It is building our foundation on the rock rather then sand... Trusting God no matter what. Job had that.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I guess I am the only one that sees that I get it wrong at times !! Lol
I agree with what others have said, but do we show integrity all the time, even behind closed doors..?
Do we always have the right thoughts and emotions In our hearts towards situations .....are you always honest ?
Can total Integrity be achieved ?
The proverb states that ‘ he who perverts will be known ‘ .. they will be found out.....well the reality is that we have to often ask the Lord to search our hearts, we often have to repent .....if we always walked in integrity, would we not be innocent all the time.............
I can’t walk in a straight line, more so at work.......the place drives me nuts !!!!!!!
Rita

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with what others have said, but do we show integrity all the time, even behind cloaked doors..?
Do we always have the right thoughts and emotions In our hearts towards situations .....are you always honest ?
The proverb states that ‘ he who perverts will be known ‘ .. they will be found out.....well the reality is that’s have to often ask the Lord to search our hearts, we often have to repent .....if we always walked in integrity, would we not be innocent all the time.............
I can’t walk in a straight line, more so at work.......the place drives me nuts !!!!!!!
Rita

"I guess I am the only one that sees that I get it wrong at times !! Lol"

Say it isn't so!! :eek:
Good reply Rita. Nobody is perfect until we see Him face to face so, my guess is that we are going to miss the mark at times. If we are to get a bullseye each time then, guess many of us will be pressing the "down" button when the time comes. It would also mean that "very few" indeed will make it. "If the righteous scarcely be saved..."

Your job would make anyone nuts lol! Hard enough to handle one dementia patient for even a few hours much less a whole floor of them! God bless your heart sister, and give you strength to get through your days there.
xx

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
"I guess I am the only one that sees that I get it wrong at times !! Lol"

Say it isn't so!! :eek:
Good reply Rita. Nobody is perfect until we see Him face to face so, my guess is that we are going to miss the mark at times. If we are to get a bullseye each time then, guess many of us will be pressing the "down" button when the time comes. It would also mean that "very few" indeed will make it. "If the righteous scarcely be saved..."

Your job would make anyone nuts lol! Hard enough to handle one dementia patient for even a few hours much less a whole floor of them! God bless your heart sister, and give you strength to get through your days there.
xx
I just went back and corrected a few of my words- predictive text is crazy xx
It’s not the residents that drive me nuts Nancy ,it’s management and workmates !!! Lol
Rita

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just went back and corrected a few of my words- predictive text is crazy xx
It’s not the residents that drive me nuts Nancy ,it’s management and workmates !!! Lol
Rita

I get that!!!
Have a great day!!!
xx

Reactions: Mayflower

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Good word Pat...a goal to be reached for indeed.
"We press toward the prize of the high-calling..."

I agree with what others have said, but do we show integrity all the time, even behind closed doors..?
The proverb states that ‘ he who perverts will be known ‘ .. they will be found out.....well the reality is that we have to often ask the Lord to search our hearts, we often have to repent .....if we always walked in integrity, would we not be innocent all the time.............
Rita

Never alone...we are in it together @Rita
My intent is always there ..."..but that which I would I do not..."

I hang on to the verse Paul spoke ...forgotten where.. Corinthians I think..

" If there first be a willing mind it is accounted as righteousness.."

My mind and heart says - "Yes amen" to God in so much...but my flesh fails me so often in following through.

I actually felt that a few years ago I finally mastered over fear.
Being fearful and worrying all my life ..I fought for years to really be free.

But, :oops: with this ongoing battle in my body ..(which will have been one month tomorrow since I started vomiting, nausea and diarrhea... )
I dropped the ball ....and freaked out.
Once I lost it and freaked out , the panic comes back so much more quickly..I am so cross with myself for the failure...
I couldn't even keep it together in the hospital...they gave me an anxiety pill.

So here I am , not much of a strong christian testimony any more...
I sure have not "arrived " yet , by far...and I may never become an Overcomer as seen in Revelation. At 79 I am running out of road now...

You are far from alone in becoming what we are called to be..xxx

Reactions: Nancy and Rita

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rita
Yes Rita, the measure of this integrity is not measured by men, although the world claims they can. Only by God, as with sin, the bar is set for perfection - all or nothing. Not one person ever lived, besides Christ, maintained this purity, called complete and constant integrity within him or herself. We all require straightening out to restore us back to integrity, and as a reset on sin once in a while, and then some more...

APAK

Reactions: Nancy and Rita

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rita
What was it that Job achieved before God? Job grew weary of being tested and hurt badly and not realizing the why of it he also failed to really see where he had gone wrong? He failed at times in the words he spoke for weakness was in his flesh still, but God was looking at the heart of the man and the purpose of the man.

The man, Job, refused to receive the accusations of his 'friends' as binding on him. While his wife saw what was happening to her husband, and he knew it, he still refused to give up on the God he knew and loved.

Think of Abraham going ahead toward the sacrifice of his promised miracle son Isaac which seemed to fly in the face of the promises God had made with regard to that son...

If your heart remains rightly directed, God knows that. That we stumble does not mean that we quit. God knows the difference. Both Saul and David stumbled. David, however, of the two did not ultimately fail God. He did not quit.

Those who give up on God, effectively really quitting, are the ones in serious trouble, not the ones who really do their best to accomplish what they see as God's purpose. Sometimes we do not know that God's purpose may include our reaction to a really impossible things to deal with for most of us are still very often thinking with our carnal mind.

Abraham I believe was hurting when he heard his son's inquiry here:

"And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?" Gen 22:7

Even Abraham at that point did not understand but God put the words in his mouth to answer Isaac here:

"And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together." Gen 22:8

Who is our Director? Who is our Leader as we walk by faith sometimes very blindly it would seem toward the Goal?

"O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps." Jerem 10:23

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I just found this thread again. Integrity. It is something our political leaders should possess but often don't. It is something our church leaders should possess but often don't; same for the press, the legal system and commerce.

Reactions: Nancy and Helen