Interesting correlation between God and light...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ajay0

Feb 25, 2019
Kerala
Faith
Other Faith
Country
India
I have come across some observations which depict an interesting correlation between God and light....

In Hinduism, the Vedas and Hindu scriptures consider the Shivalinga as representing a cosmic pillar of light. The Dharmic monotheistic sect the Prajapita Brahmakumaris consider God to be a point of light.

In Islam, Allah has 100 name's, and one of them is Alnoor ( the Light).

“God is light,” says 1 John 1:5, in the Bible in Christianity.

In Judaism, Psalm 76:4 says of God, “You are radiant with light.”

So this correlation between God and light, is a common denominator in these four major world religions.

Imo, the fire worship in Zoroastrianism may be illustrating this correlation between God (Ahura Mazda ) and light as well, light being emitted by the fire.

If you find any further proofs or evidences in this regard, especially in Christianity, please do share it here.
smile.gif

Thanking you all in advance.

Reactions: bbyrd009

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Often truth is spoken in terms of light. (Ps 43:3)(Ps 119:105) God's Word as found in Scripture enlightens our understanding.
Darkness would be that which would be opposite of truth (lies) and darkens the understanding.

Jesus said He is the Way, the Truth and the Life, no one comes to the Father except through Him (Jn 14:6). That throws a monkey wrench into those that claim many ways or another way + Jesus.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't have everything worked out in my mind about this. Furthermore I don't follow other religions but I am not surprised. But here is my take:

God likens himself to light as a metaphor. It's because things are visible when there is light. Darkness is blinding. You can only wander aimlessly in the dark.

Yeah, I know... "Duh, FHII! That's not really a great revelation!".

Consider that Jesus DID restore sight to the blind. Literally. But that too is a metaphor. The healing was real. But the miracle was to show that with Jesus we can see spiritual things clearly. Remember, God is a spirit and is an invisible God: even during the day.

Maybe that is a little better... But maybe still nothing too great. Consider this. Psalms 139:11-12.

Psalm 139:11-12 KJV
If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me. [12] Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee .

So while God likens himself to light and says he is the light, he is still the light even during the night. He is still light when the is no light.

Now go back to the blind. Jesus can still be your vision when you have no vision. The Son can be the Sun even at your midnight hour.

Reactions: Ajay0 and Acolyte

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
some observations which depict an interesting correlation between God and light....

God is spirit so any attempt to show God will fail, light is something that has no physical body, yet we can see by it and can detect it.
It is the nearest thing we have that can accurately portrtay God.

God is also shown as being in unapproachable light, that like the sun we cannot look at it, neither can we see or approach God.

It is how this is dealt with that the differences really appear.
Hinduism, Islam, Budhism etc all stress that it is the worshipper that has to aquire merit etc inorder that they might approach there God.

Only Christianity say we cannot attain the level neccesary, that we will always fail, fall short, have bad karma etc
That it is God who reaches outto us to give us the rightousness we need, to remove that whichprevents us from reaching God and that this is done without any cost to us.

We reach God only his way and that is by faith in Jesus alone.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is spirit so any attempt to show God will fail, light is something that has no physical body, yet we can see by it and can detect it.
It is the nearest thing we have that can accurately portrtay God.

God is also shown as being in unapproachable light, that like the sun we cannot look at it, neither can we see or approach God.

It is how this is dealt with that the differences really appear.
Hinduism, Islam, Budhism etc all stress that it is the worshipper that has to aquire merit etc inorder that they might approach there God.

Only Christianity say we cannot attain the level neccesary, that we will always fail, fall short, have bad karma etc
That it is God who reaches outto us to give us the rightousness we need, to remove that whichprevents us from reaching God and that this is done without any cost to us.

We reach God only his way and that is by faith in Jesus alone.

Buddhism doesn't have a god as most understand god.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If you find any further proofs or evidences in this regard, especially in Christianity, please do share it here
The Bible says that God is Light. And that is to be taken literally. The glory of God is indeed His ineffable light which no man can approach unto.

But Jesus (who is God) said "I am the Light of the world". No matter what is found in any other religion, Jesus is the only one who became the supreme sacrifice for the sins of the whole world, and then rose again the third day to establish the fact that He is the living Savior of the world.

He is shown as radiating light in the book of Revelation.
His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire; And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters. (Rev 1:14,15)

This is how He appeared at His transfiguration:
And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light... But Peter and they that were with him were heavy with sleep: and when they were awake, they saw his glory, and the two men that stood with him... For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty. For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

Reactions: Ajay0

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have come across some observations which depict an interesting correlation between God and light....

In Hinduism, the Vedas and Hindu scriptures consider the Shivalinga as representing a cosmic pillar of light. The Dharmic monotheistic sect the Prajapita Brahmakumaris consider God to be a point of light.

So this correlation between God and light, is a common denominator in these four major world religions.

Imo, the fire worship in Zoroastrianism may be illustrating this correlation between God (Ahura Mazda ) and light as well, light being emitted by the fire.

If you find any further proofs or evidences in this regard, especially in Christianity, please do share it here.
smile.gif

Allah was the Persian moon god. Just one of a pantheon of gods who had a wife and children.

Hinduism has a pantheon of gods.

John 1:5 Does not mean like a flashlight. It means making truth visible.

Just saying be careful not carry this thing about light too far. Two places never intend in the Bible.

Acolyte

Oct 7, 2018
Midwest/usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(KJV) Amos 5:18 Woe unto you that desire the day of the Lord! to what end is it for you? the day of the Lord is darkness, and not light.

While He is the light, he brings darkness. People running from the the lion run into a hungry bear. :eek:

Reactions: bbyrd009 and farouk

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands

smile.gif

nice, ty!

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP.

God is LIGHT in "Wisdom" and understanding, which is "Knowledge" and "Understanding.
example, 1 John 1:5 "This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
1 John 1:6 "If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
1 John 1:7 "But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

PICJAG.

Jon Mathews

May 7, 2019
indianapolis, in
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

smile.gif

The Word says "God is light; in him there is no darkness at all" 1 John 1:5

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
John 1.4-9:

"In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.

7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.

8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.

9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world."