Interesting Perspective on why Millions of People "Snapping"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Axehead said:
Article

It is true that men's wisdom has failed to give other men peace. That commodity only comes from Christ.
To amplify what you have stated, here are Christ's words.

[SIZE=.75em]24 “[/SIZE]Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. [SIZE=.75em]25 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock.[/SIZE] [SIZE=.75em]26 And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand.[/SIZE][SIZE=.75em]27 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it[/SIZE].” MT 7:24-27 :)

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Amen, JB. We have a great opportunity to minister the Gospel of Jesus Christ to people, today.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While I agree with much of the article - the depression stats and estimates (which I've also heard elsewhere) are staggering - I think the article blames way too much on politics and terrorism.

I think the day-to-day stress levels are what are far stronger than any particular President or terrorist group. The stress of getting to work on time through traffic where everyone drives equally selfish, the stress of dealing with a job of cutthroat competition doing some repetitive motion or thought process, the stress of paying the bills, etc. Much can be related to this administration, or that administration, but much is related to our system in general which rewards debt, "hard work", and materialism. I put hard work in quotes because there is a different in working hard the right way and then working hard the wrong way that takes you completely away from family, friends, and life in general.

Yes, in a way, I am talking about Capitalism. Capitalism is a great system (my preferred system for that matter!), but our insatiable idol factories can pump out so many idols in today's culture that we miss the boat on what it means to live. We miss the boat on the life that God has for us.

John 10:10
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

Afterall, I always frame this verse with the knowledge that the prophets went through a whole lot of depression, despair, and trying times themselves. Our Savior lost his life. Many of his followers and prophets lost theirs as well. At the end of the day, it's not about individuals, it's just about Christ. We live that way, and life becomes much fuller, even though it might not always be better in the sense that we desire it to be better in (EG: more money, less work, etc.)

I am absolutely in the belief that we must get to that breaking point where we finally get that we cannot do it on our own. I listen to a pastor who jokes about overloading your donkey, but the joke underscores a great point. If you try and bear too much, sooner or later you will break. I've seen this in work, life, and even in the church.

We have this definition of success and we try and pull ourselves to it on our own. The greatest lie we tell our children and ourselves is that "you can do anything" when the Bible instead says that He can do anything.

Matthew 11:29-30
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Axehead said:
Amen, JB. We have a great opportunity to minister the Gospel of Jesus Christ to people, today.
Amen! We seek those who are: [SIZE=.75em]28 “[/SIZE]Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. [SIZE=.75em]29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.[/SIZE] [SIZE=.75em]30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” [/SIZE]Matthew 11:28-30

HammerStone said:
While I agree with much of the article - the depression stats and estimates (which I've also heard elsewhere) are staggering - I think the article blames way too much on politics and terrorism.

I think the day-to-day stress levels are what are far stronger than any particular President or terrorist group. The stress of getting to work on time through traffic where everyone drives equally selfish, the stress of dealing with a job of cutthroat competition doing some repetitive motion or thought process, the stress of paying the bills, etc. Much can be related to this administration, or that administration, but much is related to our system in general which rewards debt, "hard work", and materialism. I put hard work in quotes because there is a different in working hard the right way and then working hard the wrong way that takes you completely away from family, friends, and life in general.

Yes, in a way, I am talking about Capitalism. Capitalism is a great system (my preferred system for that matter!), but our insatiable idol factories can pump out so many idols in today's culture that we miss the boat on what it means to live. We miss the boat on the life that God has for us.

John 10:10
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

Afterall, I always frame this verse with the knowledge that the prophets went through a whole lot of depression, despair, and trying times themselves. Our Savior lost his life. Many of his followers and prophets lost theirs as well. At the end of the day, it's not about individuals, it's just about Christ. We live that way, and life becomes much fuller, even though it might not always be better in the sense that we desire it to be better in (EG: more money, less work, etc.)

I am absolutely in the belief that we must get to that breaking point where we finally get that we cannot do it on our own. I listen to a pastor who jokes about overloading your donkey, but the joke underscores a great point. If you try and bear too much, sooner or later you will break. I've seen this in work, life, and even in the church.

We have this definition of success and we try and pull ourselves to it on our own. The greatest lie we tell our children and ourselves is that "you can do anything" when the Bible instead says that He can do anything.

Matthew 11:29-30
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
So true. The cares of this world and the lust of the eyes and the pride of life are snares unto death. If we light our own candle and walk by it, we will lie down in torment, as the scriptures say. As Jesus says, I AM the LIGHT of the WORLD.

"Then spoke Jesus again to them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that follows me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life." John 8:12