Is apostolic succession biblical?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When Jesus had called the Twelve together, he gave them power and authority to drive out all demons - Luke 9:1

Who is the leading authority in driving out demons??? The RCC

Reactions: historyb

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP,
1 Corinthians 12:28 "And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues."

well this is GOD doing, and the term "SET" here is "ORDAIN", it's the Greek word,
G5087 τίθημι tithemi (tiy'-thee-miy) v.
θέω theo (the'-ō) [an alternate in certain tenses]
1. to place.
2. (properly) to lay in a passive or horizontal posture.
{in the widest application, literally and figuratively; differs from G2476, which properly denotes an upright and active position, while G2749 is properly reflexive and utterly prostrate}
[a prolonged form of a primary theo theh'-o (which is used only as alternate in certain tenses)]
KJV: + advise, appoint, bow, commit, conceive, give, X kneel down, lay (aside, down, up), make, ordain, purpose, put, set (forth), settle, sink down
Compare: G2476, G2749

next verse, 1 Corinthians 12:29 "Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?"

PICJAG.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes it is His church and He is the only Christ, the only king, and the only savior!

He’s the way, we just follow, the truth, we just believe, and the life, we live thru Him!

Reactions: Nancy

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes it is His church and He is the only Christ, the only king, and the only savior!

He’s the way, we just follow, the truth, we just believe, and the life, we live thru Him!
Correct, he is the "GOVERNOR", of his Church. he sets the rules and regulations, and again you're correct we follow him, his lead. I'm reminded of Elijah, and what he said, 1 Kings 19:10 "And he said, I have been very jealous for the LORD God of hosts: for the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away." but what did the Lord answer him with? 1 Kings 19:18 "Yet I have left me seven thousand in Israel, all the knees which have not bowed unto Baal, and every mouth which hath not kissed him."

so the twelve have their place as the original, the first one to be chosen, but they are not the only ones. God is greater than just 12 apostles. he have many in reserve. the apostle Paul proved that by his being chosen by God, ......... AFTER the original twelve.

God Bless.

PICJAG.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No He is the king and He does not govern His kingdom directly, because He ascended to Heaven?

Yes Peter, the apostles and their successors, even to this day Christ continues His ministry thru Peter, the apostles and their successors with the same mission, and power, and authority as Christ! Jn 20:21-22

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No on Peter, (keys) mt 16:18, and the apostles, mt 28:19 and their successors mt 23 who are still administering the kingdom today, as Jesus said Jn 20:21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

Same mission, power, and authority as Jesus! The apostles are still teaching the nations, and baptizing disciples, mt 28:19 Peter’s successors still have the authority of the keys, mt 16:18 and mt 23, and with the apostles and their successors the power to bind and loose, of this authority and power Jesus says they are to be obeyed, mt 23 and this authority and power to open and shut (keys) to bind and loose passed from the successors of Moses to Peter, the apostles, and their successors! Mt 16:18 Mt 18:18

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do the nations still need to be taught?
do disciples still need to be baptism?
Is there still a new covenant?
Is there still salvation?

not without the successors of the apostles!

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

... I would have started with PAUL, and then recognized those who characterized those traits including David Wilkerson, and a HOST of other people who have a VISION for the Church.

And for those who are ~confused~: Apostles, Prophets, Evangelists, Pastors, & Teachers. -- If you discard ONE, then you must discard ALL, so either ACCEPT ALL, or cease posting your hypocritical "teachings". :)

Bobby Jo

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All yes, all under the authentic authority of Peter, the apostles, and their successors, and those prophets, etc. who are subject to them!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is there any Scripture which supports it? I'm not aware of any.

How about mt 23 The successors of Mosses have the authority of the keys (open & shut) and the power to bind and loose, and this authority of the keys passed to Peter mt 16:18 and the power to bind and loose to Peter and the apostles and their successors! Mt 16:18
Mt 18:18 acts 1 and Jesus says they who have this authority and power are to be obeyed!

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All yes, all under the authentic authority of Peter, the apostles, and their successors, and those prophets, etc. who are subject to them!

Ummmmmmm, did you want to quote the person you're replying to?

Yeah, you should ...
Bobby Jo

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The successors or Peter and the successors of the apostles.

the valid popes and bishops successors of Peter and the apostles having the authority of the keys and the power to bind and loose, but it is really Christ who continues His ministry in His church thru them, they have the same mission, power, and authority as Christ! Lk 10:16 Mt 16:18, 18:18, 28:19, Jn 20:21-23 (including forgiving sins) acts 1:17

John 16:13
Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

matt 23 the successors of Moses have the authority of the keys, (open and shut) and the power to bind and loose and this passed to Peter, the apostles, and their successors and Jesus says this authority is to be obeyed!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then they fulfill the great commission and teach us! Mt 28:19

YeshuaFan1

Jul 22, 2020
Macomb Mi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No on Peter, (keys) mt 16:18, and the apostles, mt 28:19 and their successors mt 23 who are still administering the kingdom today, as Jesus said Jn 20:21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

Same mission, power, and authority as Jesus! The apostles are still teaching the nations, and baptizing disciples, mt 28:19 Peter’s successors still have the authority of the keys, mt 16:18 and mt 23, and with the apostles and their successors the power to bind and loose, of this authority and power Jesus says they are to be obeyed, mt 23 and this authority and power to open and shut (keys) to bind and loose passed from the successors of Moses to Peter, the apostles, and their successors! Mt 16:18 Mt 18:18
There were no apostles after John death, as we now have pastors and teachers, and have the set theology of the Apostles themselves in the Bible!

YeshuaFan1

Jul 22, 2020
Macomb Mi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The successors or Peter and the successors of the apostles.

the valid popes and bishops successors of Peter and the apostles having the authority of the keys and the power to bind and loose, but it is really Christ who continues His ministry in His church thru them, they have the same mission, power, and authority as Christ! Lk 10:16 Mt 16:18, 18:18, 28:19, Jn 20:21-23 (including forgiving sins) acts 1:17

John 16:13
Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

matt 23 the successors of Moses have the authority of the keys, (open and shut) and the power to bind and loose and this passed to Peter, the apostles, and their successors and Jesus says this authority is to be obeyed!
There is NO biblical support for how Rome views this issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.