Is baptismal registration biblical?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That is "regeneration" -- being born again -- and baptismal regeneration is definitely NOT biblical.

When a sinner believes on the Lord Jesus Christ and repents, he or she receives the gift of the Holy Spirit. And God the Holy Spirit causes the sinner to be regenerated -- born again (John 1:12,13). It is only AFTER that, that the believer is to be baptized by immersion. So regeneration comes first, water baptism comes next.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Like how mosts churches require baptism for membership?

1 Corinthians 1:11-16 shows it was sort of a standard in the early church. Otherwise Paul wouldn't be talking about baptism there.

Last edited:

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It really depends on what you mean by the term. Water Baptism is an initiation ceremony in which a new Christian confesses publicly his new-found Christianity. It is sometimes debated how necessary it is as a matter of salvation--I don't think it is. But the point is, new Christians were invited to make this public declaration as a start to their new life in Christ.

As such, Water Baptism was representative of their choice to abandon their carnal lives for regenerate lives, ie lives lived in Christ. We give up the life of the Flesh for the life of the Spirit.

Does spiritual regeneration take place only at Water Baptism? Certainly not, since we get Water Baptized *after* we commit our lives to Christ. Thus, we are spiritually regenerated *before* Baptism, and only get Baptized as a symbol of our public declaration that we have begun a new spiritual life.

Reactions: Candidus

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where’s that in the Bible?

Acts 22:16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Galatians 3:27

For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, sorry just trying to learn, I mean where does the Bible say baptismal regeneration is not biblical or not valid?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So all that’s required is a choice to follow God? Jn 4:1 says disciples are baptized?

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So all that’s required is a choice to follow God? Jn 4:1 says disciples are baptized?
Where able, yes, disciples must be baptized.

Mar_16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
New birth promised in Old Testament!

Ez 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Christian baptism!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Context of Jn 3:5 born again or new birth.

John1:26 John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not; (John prepared the way by baptism)

John 2:6 And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece. (Old covenant prefiguring of baptism, purification from sin)

John3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. (Baptism)

John 3:22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized. 23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.(Baptism)

John 4:4 When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John