Is Christ now only a spirt or still a resurrected man

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems that there are several people who hold a belief that Christ has stopped existing as a flesh and spirit being. Here is the thread to discuss it.

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems that there are several people who hold a belief that Christ has stopped existing as a flesh and spirit being. Here is the thread to discuss it.

Scripture is quite clear that the body of Christ is every bit "physical" in heaven as it was on earth resurrected. When Jesus ascended bodily into heaven, it gives no implication that his appearance suddenly changed nor does it imply ours will either, but quite the contrary.

(Romans 8:21-23) "Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. {22} For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now. {23} And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body."

(Philippians 3:18-21) "(For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: {19} Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.) {20} For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: {21} Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself."

In other words, the corrupted bodies of the first Adam shall be made incorruptible like the second Adam by the quickening of the spirit. If the redemption doesn't include the flesh, then your resurrection is no true resurrection at all.

Reactions: KBCid and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

I'm a bit confused. Are you speaking of Jesus here?
Because “Christ” is not Jesus’ last name (surname). “Christ” comes from the Greek word Christos, meaning the “anointed one”.
So , just checking that you mean Jesus Christ?

And I agree, Jesus Christ, the Glorified Lamb of God, is glorified flesh and spirit. The new man. We are the Body , not yet glorified.

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because “Christ” is not Jesus’ last name (surname). “Christ” comes from the Greek word Christos, meaning the “anointed one”.

And I agree, Jesus Christ, the Glorified Lamb of God, is glorified flesh and spirit. The new man. We are the Body , not yet glorified.

And even now, our bodies are the very temple of God and the Holy Ghost. This isn't going to change when the temple is glorified as the second Adam.

(1 Corinthians 6:16-20) "What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh. {17} But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit. {18} Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body. {19} What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? {20} For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s."

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And even now, our bodies are the very temple of God and the Holy Ghost. This isn't going to change when the temple is glorified as the second Adam.

Yes agree. Maybe I didn't write that clearly for meaning.

"And He is the Head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things He might have the preeminence."

What I meant was ..we are joined with Him now..we the body, He our Head.
But we are not yet in full union...we have not entered the Bridal chamber yet and become His own, in fullness. We are betrothed, we are not married.

Ha! Well forget it..."I" know what I mean!! :D

Reactions: Dcopymope

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
{23} And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body."

note that we assume the redemption of "our body" is taken to mean "me, on a personal level, after i have physically died," when these are all assumptions, and this passage may be taken completely differently, by someone who has "died" to self, and now lives in Christ.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
{21} Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself."

and we even get a clue in the terminology here, where a process is indicated

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is Christ now only a spirt or still a resurrected man

1 John 3
2 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Peanut

Jul 19, 2017
goodbye
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ is the Holy Spirit. (God)
Christ cannot be flesh today.
1 Corinthians 15:50 What I am saying, dear brothers and sisters, is that our physical bodies cannot inherit the Kingdom of God. These dying bodies cannot inherit what will last forever.

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Lol surname. Who in the world of man told you that?

Jesus is a translated word typically used in application to the Christ. Christ is the anointed of the Father and maybe the name Jesus doesn't actually apply to the Christ at all according to some people;
"The name Jesus is an invention of man which in no way carries the meaning of the true Name of this Man mentioned in the New Testament. The simple fact (which is easily proven from authoritative sources) is that this man was born a Hebrew and He had a Hebrew name. There is no such name as Jesus in the Hebrew language."
The True Name Of The Savior

So, I will leave this question for you to discern an answer.

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
{23} And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body."
note that we assume the redemption of "our body" is taken to mean "me, on a personal level, after i have physically died," when these are all assumptions, and this passage may be taken completely differently, by someone who has "died" to self, and now lives in Christ.

It is taken to mean what the spirit intentionally meant. The inspired writer is stating exactly what it means "the redemption of our body" as we can discern by many other passages if an inspired writer was meaning only the redemption of our spirit then they could have quite plainly stated spirit. So, by rendering the meaning to anything other than what the spirit inspired words are would make the inspiration an intentional deception. God doesn't lie.

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ is the Holy Spirit. (God)
Christ cannot be flesh today.
1 Corinthians 15:50 What I am saying, dear brothers and sisters, is that our physical bodies cannot inherit the Kingdom of God. These dying bodies cannot inherit what will last forever.

Our bodies in their current sinful state cannot inherit the kingdom. However, what about a body resurrected and corrected from error to perfection.

Keep in mind that God does not lie.

Luke 24:36And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you. 37But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit. 38And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts? 39Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have. 40And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet. 41And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat? 42And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb. 43And he took it, and did eat before them.

So, when confronted by two scriptures that appear to be in direct conflict how might one resolve the conflict? This is where the essence of dividing God's word correctly comes into play.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's really quite simple: God is spirit. The Father is greater than the Son. Jesus went to the Father.

I think the misunderstanding here, is simply the inability to imagine that the spirit is greater than the flesh. So many just read into the scriptures what they want to hear. But that is just the flesh talking.

But even if we are inclined to think some of the scriptures say otherwise, against the whole word. If we are of God, we should be capable of imagining that God being spirit, is fully able to manifest in whatever form He wishes. So...what's the matter with that - why insist that the creation is more evolved than the Creator...like he's the past and we are the future?

Anyway...the whole of scripture does not allow for the flesh to rise above this earthly plain.

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus' would have to, if we are the Body of Christ, at least it seems so to me
John 17:22And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: 23I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

Indeed how might Christ be standing there bodily in front of the disciples and stating that they may be "one" just he and his father are since he has already given them the glory (which is Christ in them and the father in Christ).

A bit of a conundrum if he needed to be translated into a spirit only state before that could happen.
I would also ask how the living disciples could be one if they are all still in the old flesh suit? Maybe being one does not mean a single body but maybe just maybe it means of one purpose.

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is something to consider.
When Adam and Eve were created as mankind their bodies were perfect. Suppose that their perfect bodies showed the glory of God by light radiance in the same way that some visions describe translation. Now suppose that when God's presence left their bodies so did the radiance. Suppose further that this is why they realized they were now naked.

Well science has found something quite peculiar about living organisms;

Biophoton emission. New evidence for coherence and DNA as source.

Abstract
The phenomenon of ultraweak photon emission from living systems was further investigated in order to elucidate the physical properties of this radiation and its possible source. We obtained evidence that the light has a high degree of coherence because of (1) its photon count statistics, (2) its spectral distribution, (3) its decay behavior after exposure to light illumination, and (4) its transparency through optically thick materials. Moreover, DNA is apparently at least an important source....
Biophoton emission. New evidence for coherence and DNA as source. - PubMed - NCBI

That is a hard science based source. Here is another not so hard science source;

Biophotons: The Human Body Emits, Communicates with, and is Made from Light
....So there you have it. Science increasingly agrees with direct human experience: we are more than the atoms and molecules of which we are composed, but beings that emit, communicate with, and are formed from light.
Biophotons: The Human Body Emits, Communicates with, and is Made from Light

Maybe in mans fallen state he emits very little light since God's presence is not within him but if sin were eliminated then the body could once again be the shining temple that God created with the physical body of man and each of those temples would represent the oneness of God

Reactions: bbyrd009