Is drinking sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is drinking sin than why Lord Jesus first miracle was turning water into wine.?

It is not a sin, only if you over indulge.

It could also be a sin if you have a personal conviction against drinking alcohol at all. One example of this might be with an alcoholic who cannot take even one small drink without getting himself into trouble with both man and God. For him even one small drink might be overindulgence.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I recently had a revelation from Jesus that said truly "Christians don't drink". The scriptures of course spell out drinking for pain and suffering.

Proverbs 31:6-7

6 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.

7 Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It could also be a sin if you have a personal conviction against drinking alcohol at all. One example of this might be with an alcoholic who cannot take even one small drink without getting himself into trouble with both man and God. For him even one small drink might be overindulgence.
That’s different and not the question asked.

Mugre Pinzon

Oct 4, 2019
Fairbanks
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is not a sin, but if a person feels that it is wrong, then they shouldn't drink. Drunkeness, on the other hand is a sin. A little wine is good for the heart.

It's also not advisable if you're of certain Baptist persuasions as the brethren will persecute you if you have a drink ;)

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I recently had a revelation from Jesus that said truly "Christians don't drink". The scriptures of course spell out drinking for pain and suffering.

6 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.

I had a revelation from Jesus that He was messing with you.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find this to be a really interesting topic for multiple reasons. Yes, it is very controversial and always starts heated debate, but there's more to it than that.

There is much evidence that Jesus did not make wine, but pure grape juice. The words used for grape juice and wine, in the original language, are the same and thus the translation into english used one word for two very different things; wine and unfermented grape juice.

The whole theme of the Bible pertaining to God, and His people, is all about purity. Alcohol is not pure at all, it is literally the feces of the yeast microorganism that consumes the sugar of the fruit juice.

Not to mention, alcohol is the dead cells of the juice (corn, veggies, whatever). The process of fermentation is the process of the cells of the fruit juice dying. Why would God have anything to do with impure, death/dying - and why would He want His people to have anything to do with it? God is the God of the living.

Most Christians will admit that getting drunk is a sin, but .... why else does anybody ever take a drink?

You like the taste? Drink O'doul's.

Getting a buzz is not getting drunk? Science disagrees.
The moment you feel a buzz, you are impaired. Your decision-making process is impaired, as well as your body's ability to react quickly and accurately to stimuli.

Then there's the spiritual aspect nobody considers. The second you take one drink, one puff, one line, one ingestion of any mind-altering substance, etc., you have opened a doorway to the spirit realm and allowed your body/spirit legal right to be attacked/manipulated/influenced by unclean spirits.

Personally, I feel it is a sin to take any action that knowingly destroys/diminishes the Temple of God.

I abstain.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had a revelation from Jesus that He was messing with you.
f7c.jpg

Any questions? :p

Reactions: Stan B and GEN2REV

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It's almost humorous to note that those verses pertain to those who are actively dying and those who desperately need to destroy the proper functioning of their brain because their life situation is so desolate.

Certainly something Christians need in their lives. :rolleyes:

Reactions: dev553344