Is faith apart of works?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is Faith is part of works!

Works is defined as something we choose to do, volition!

Faith is also works because you have to choose to believe! Jn 1:12 Jn 3:16 rom 10:9

And continue to believe, a perpetual state of believing. Matt 24:13 Jn 15:1-5

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith is not just another work in a series of works in a quest to receive salvation by works.
(Romans 4:5-6; Ephesians 2:8,9; Titus 3:5; 2 Timothy 1:9)

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then we saved by grace alone? Therefore we are all saved?
Or it would be injustice to save some by grace alone and not all?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How is any different from choosing to pray? Or choosing to fast or hive alms?
Or choosing to practice virtue? The only reason these things have merit before God is because we are united to Christ thru grace? Why would choosing to believe be different?

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then we saved by grace alone? Therefore we are all saved?
Or it would be injustice to save some by grace alone and not all? Why would choosing to believe be different?
We are saved by grace through faith, not works. (Ephesians 2:8,9) Choosing to believe is clearly not a work that merits our salvation. Through believing, we are completely trusting in "Another's work" (Christ's finished work of redemption). Romans 3:24 - being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said salvation happensat the moment of death if you are faithful to Him remaining in His grace! Jn 15:1 Matt 24:13 also Mk 16:16 He who believes and is baptized shall be saved?

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said salvation happensat the moment of death if you are faithful to Him remaining in His grace! Jn 15:1 Matt 24:13 also Mk 16:16 He who believes and is baptized shall be saved?
In regards to John 15:1-2, as Greek scholar AT Robertson points out:

Two kinds of connections with Christ as the vine (the merely cosmic which bears no fruit, the spiritual and vital which bears fruit). The fruitless (not bearing fruit, mh peron karpon) the vine-dresser "takes away" (airei) or prunes away. Probably (Bernard) Jesus here refers to Judas.

https://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/robertsons-word-pictures/john/john-15.html

In regards to Matthew 24:13, the same ones who endure to the end are the same ones who have been saved through faith. You must not confuse descriptive passages of scripture with prescriptive passages of scripture.

Mark 16:16 - He who believes and is baptized will be saved (general cases without making a qualification for the unusual case of someone who believes but is not baptized) but he who does not believe will be condemned. The omission of baptized with "does not believe" shows that Jesus does not make baptism absolutely necessary for salvation. Condemnation rests on unbelief and not on a lack of baptism, so salvation rests on belief. *NOWHERE does the Bible say "baptized or condemned."

If water baptism is absolutely required for salvation, then why did Jesus not mention it in the following verses? (3:15,16,18; 5:24; 6:29,40,47; 11:25,26). What is the ONE requirement that Jesus mentions 9 different times in each of these complete statements? *BELIEVES. *What happened to baptism? *Hermeneutics.

*John 3:18 - He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who (is not water baptized? - NO) does not believe is condemned already, because he has not (been water baptized? - NO) because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Reactions: ChristisGod

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jn 3:5 by water and the spirit or you cannot enter heaven
Titus 3:5 baptismal regeneration

You must not confuse descriptive passages of scripture with prescriptive passages of scripture.

all scripture is inspired etc.
heaven and earth may pass away but my words shall not pass away

the Bible is the word of God but is the word of God limited to the Bible alone?

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jn 3:5 by water and the spirit or you cannot enter heaven
Titus 3:5 baptismal regeneration

You must not confuse descriptive passages of scripture with prescriptive passages of scripture.

all scripture is inspired etc.
heaven and earth may pass away but my words shall not pass away

the Bible is the word of God but is the word of God limited to the Bible alone?
Neither John 3:5 nor Titus 3:5 teach the false doctrine of baptismal regeneration. In regards to the word "water" in John 3:5, Jesus mentions "living water" in John 4:10, 14; 7:37-39 and in John 7:38-39, we read - "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water. But this He spoke concerning the Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the source of living water and spiritual cleansing. If "water" is defined as baptism, then we could just as justifiably say, "Out of his heart will flow rivers of living baptism" in John 7:38. If this sounds ridiculous, it is no more so than the idea that water baptism is the source or the means of becoming born again. *So to automatically read "baptism" into John 3:5 simply because it mentions "water" is unwarranted. Plain ordinary H20 has no power to wash away sins.

The word "water" is also used in the Bible as an emblem of the Word of God, and in such uses it is associated with cleansing or washing. (John 15:3; Ephesians 5:26) When we are born again, the Holy Spirit begets new life and we are said to become "partakers of the divine nature" (2 Peter 1:4). The new birth is brought to pass through "incorruptible seed, by the Word of God, which lives and abides forever" (I Peter 1:23) and the Holy Spirit accomplishes the washing of regeneration. (Titus 3:5)

Reactions: ChristisGod

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word of God is not limited to the Bible alone!

How do you know from the Bible alone exactly what is and what is not the Bible?

The church and the apostles with power and authority were founded before the New Testament, and wrote the New Testament and cannonized the Bible!

The rule of faith is not the Bible or the Bible alone, but God, and His divine revelation!

Matt 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. (It does not say every verse of the Bible alone)

Psalm 19:1 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handy work.

Gen God called Abraham

Matt 16:16-17 Peter received divine revelation from the Father.

Lk 3:2 Annas and Caiaphas being the high priests, the word of God came unto John the son of Zacharias in the wilderness.

(This is divine revelation and opposes the doctrine of the Bible alone, the heavens are not the Bible or Bible alone, the word of God did not come to Abraham, Peter, John etc. by the Bible or Bible alone)

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Baptism!

Ez 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.
26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put withi n you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Matt 28:19 ( Disciples by baptism not faith alone)
Mk 1:4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

Mark 16:16 he who believes and is baptized shall be saved!

John1:26 John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not; (John prepared the way by baptism)

John 2:6 And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece. (Old covenant prefiguring of baptism, purification from sin)

John3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. (Baptism)

John 3:22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized. 23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.(Baptism)

John 4:4 When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John.

Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.(Baptism)

Acts 8:36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?

37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

Acts 22:16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Rom 3:24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

Rom 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Romans 6:3
Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

1 Corinthians 12:13
For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Ephesians 4:5 
One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

Colossians 2:12
Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; (baptism)

1 Peter 1:22
Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: see Ez 36

1 Pet 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!
(Ark of Noah a type of the church, member of Christ and his church and salvation by baptism!)
(Outside the ark and the church there is no salvation!)

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Context of Jn 3:5 “born again”

John1:26 John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not; (John prepared the way by baptism)

John 2:6 And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece. (Old covenant prefiguring of baptism, purification from sin)(His disciples believed because the mother of God interceded Jn 2:11)

John3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. (Baptism)

John 3:22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized. 23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.(Baptism)

John 4:4 When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John.

Born again means Baptism!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 16:16 The requirements for those who are being saved cannot be undone by the requirements for those not being saved! He who believes and is baptized is still required for salvation? Heaven and earth may pass away but my words shall not pass away!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m not going to view the Bible thru Protestant colored glasses, until luther no one ever taught salvation by faith alone! The church is built on Peter, the apostles, and their successors! Matt 16:18 eph 2:20 luther was not an apostle

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prior to my conversion several years ago I was born and raised in the Roman Catholic Church, so none of your arguments will be anything new or enlightening. Good day sir.