Is it a sin for Christians to violently confront and resist oppressive antifa members?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

K9Buck

Aug 18, 2020
central Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For instance, if a group of Christians sees a group of antifa members marching down the street, destroying property and intimidating or even attacking innocent people, is it a sin if those Christians beat the Hell out of those antifa members or even kill them?

I am personally conflicted over this. History has taught us that the far-left would turn America into a repressive, totalitarian state with egregious human rights abuses. If Christians take a pacifist approach, the left will turn the U.S. into a one-party, fascist, oligarchy such as China has. Eventually, churches will also be persecuted and closed.

So, is it a sin if we use violence to prevent the U.S. from being turned into a totalitarian state? As I said, I am conflicted.

Reactions: teamventure

K9Buck

Aug 18, 2020
central Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Along those lines, Dinesh D'Souza is correctly warning that it is only a matter of time before civilian militias begin forming to confront the onslaught of antifa and BLM terrorism.

What hasn't been lost on me is that Democratic jurisdictions refuse to protect citizens and their property but, when a citizen steps up to do so, the Democrats arrest and prosecute them. This is tyranny.

Dinesh D'Souza says recent riots and political unrest could lead to 'rise of citizen militias around the country'

K9Buck

Aug 18, 2020
central Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only thing holding back the right is that they, by and large, follow a moral code. The Godless left, of course, recognizes no moral authority. Therefore, for them, murdering, lying, assaulting, destroying, etc. is all fine. After all, they serve their spiritual father of this world and the original liar, Satan.

John 8:44 - 8:47

44 You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45 But because I tell the truth, you do not believe me. 46 Which one of you convicts me of sin? If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me? 47 Whoever is of God hears the words of God. The reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God.”

Reactions: teamventure

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For instance, if a group of Christians sees a group of antifa members marching down the street, destroying property and intimidating or even attacking innocent people, is it a sin if those Christians beat the Hell out of those antifa members or even kill them?

I am personally conflicted over this. History has taught us that the far-left would turn America into a repressive, totalitarian state with egregious human rights abuses. If Christians take a pacifist approach, the left will turn the U.S. into a one-party, fascist, oligarchy such as China has. Eventually, churches will also be persecuted and closed.

So, is it a sin if we use violence to prevent the U.S. from being turned into a totalitarian state? As I said, I am conflicted.

Well here is a biblical principle we should have in mind before any action like you are asking:

Romans 12:18
If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

Do we have the right to protect an innocent from a mob? yes! But not to beat the crap out of them in response. To get them to stop and protect teh person sure. But if law enforcement is around- it is up to them.

If they are about to jump you- you have a right to defend your life! If they jump you over matters of the faith- we must turn th eother cheek.

Reactions: rjs330 and Trekson

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The way I see it, it is a just judge that stops crimes against others by "stopping" the individuals that perpetrate those crimes. We as Christians are supposed to judge righteously (John 7:24). We can stop criminals by jailing them, and sometimes lethal force is necessary to stop them. So while there is almost nothing wrong with our justice system there are some left problems emerging, like you said making Christianity illegal, etc. And of course there are some bad apples in our criminal justice system.

That said, we can't just let anyone represent the law enforcement operations of this country, like I said, too many bad apples. And law enforcement individuals have to meet certain criteria or suffer judgement themselves.

If the democrats are going to allow crimes and criminals to get away with crimes and not protect the people and their rights, then I would imagine that no one will vote for them eventually. We the people have the right to vote and the majority rules in the voting system so that the majority is represented.

And yes the weird thing is that the minority are being supported by democrats allowing them to terrorize good citizens. This is not what are country is about. So democrats are supporting some other government.

And also that said, BLM and Antifa will demonstrate by actions who they are and what they represent. I think we're seeing that with the looting and rioting and support of hate groups, chanting the death of innocent officers, rioting, looting and claiming they are justified in doing all of this. The people see the truth, so long as it continues to get reported to the people! Cheers.

Reactions: lforrest

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I don't know. I am getting sick and tired of all this liberal crap going down and no one doing anything about it. I am sick of being told I am a bad person because I am white, a man, supporter of the police, support Trump. I am sick and tried hearing everywhere that I have to be meek and mild and just pray, which is just not enough and doesn't seem to be working. The bad guys are getting away with murder and we just sit idly by not doing a blessed thing. I am so sick of liberalism, I hate it.

We used violence in the war for independence and maybe it's time to re declare our Independence from these liberal idiots and take up arms against them for freedom!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 5:39 (NKJV)
39 But I tell you not to resist an evil person.

In its context we are talking abou tgetting whacked for the faith! But Believers are allowed self defense if it is hoodlums attacking us. And we are allowed to try to stop hoodlums from harming someone else if authorities are not around. How far? I cannot sasy. That may be a question of each individuals conscience.

Getitright

Nov 7, 2019
North Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

From what can be seen from Church history, yes, it is a sin. The first Christians didn't use violence for any reason at all.

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From what can be seen from Church history, yes, it is a sin. The first Christians didn't use violence for any reason at all.

I believe Jesus teaches otherwise. Lk 22:36 - "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." We have right to protect what is ours and those who are in our sphere at the time from harm, even using deadly force if necessary. However, as the scriptures also show we are not to use the same thinking if we are being persecuted for our faith and no that doesn't mean antifa burning down churches.

Getitright

Nov 7, 2019
North Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe Jesus teaches otherwise. Lk 22:36 - "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." We have right to protect what is ours and those who are in our sphere at the time from harm, even using deadly force if necessary. However, as the scriptures also show we are not to use the same thinking if we are being persecuted for our faith and no that doesn't mean antifa burning down churches.

Do you know better what Jesus taught than those who were taught by Jesus and the apostles? For the first 300 years of the Church Christians refused to use violence for any reason, including to save one's life. I find it hard to believe that these thousands upon thousands, if not millions, of Christians were all wrong. This was a universal teaching. If a Christian joined the military they were excommunicated from the Church. Most Christians don't like this teaching and find reasons to rejects it. But, it was the universal teaching of the Christian Church for the first 300 years.

Regarding the passage, the word that is translated sword, actually means a large knife or a small sword. Since Jesus was sending sending them out into the world they would have need of a knife or small sword. They would have to fend for themselves. They would have to prepare their own meals and maybe even hunt their own food.

Athentagoras
for we have learned, not only not to return blow for blow, nor to go to law with those who plunder and rob us, but to those who smite us on one side of the face to offer the other side also, and to those who take away our coat to give likewise our cloak.
Early Church Fathers - – Ante-Nicene Fathers: The Writings of the Fathers Down To A.D. 325

Cyprian
and that by this very fact they are invincible, that they do not fear death; that they do not in turn assail their assailants, since it is not lawful for the innocent even to kill the guilty;

The Early Church Fathers: Ante-Nicene Fathers Volume 2 Clement of Alexandria
34 Above all, Christians are not allowed to correct with violence the delinquencies of sins. For it is not those that abstain from wickedness from compulsion, but those that abstain from choice, that God crowns.

If you're interested in looking further into this subject I've written and linked an article on this subject called "Should Christians Use Violence"

rjs330

Aug 3, 2020
Belgrade
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So it was a sin to shoot Nazis?

Some would say yes. But to love your neighbor also would mean to defend your neighbor. Jesus' words were always for the individual and things that affect the individual. Protecting another person from evil shows live towards that person. After all, Jesus didn't command we turn our neighbors cheek. He told us to love them.

K9Buck

Aug 18, 2020
central Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some would say yes. But to love your neighbor also would mean to defend your neighbor. Jesus' words were always for the individual and things that affect the individual. Protecting another person from evil shows live towards that person. After all, Jesus didn't command we turn our neighbors cheek. He told us to love them.

If all of us that follow Jesus were pacifists, there would likely be no church and no way to spread his word.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If all of us that follow Jesus were pacifists, there would likely be no church and no way to spread his word.
You don't believe God answers your prayers?

Luke 11:4 (NKJV)
4 Deliver us from the evil one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Getitright

Irwin Fletcher

Sep 19, 2020
Cyprus
seeinggodclearly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Cyprus

Violence to oppose evil or oppression is a complicated Biblical issue. Each believer must approach it before God with both Biblical doctrine and their own conscience. This can get into things like a doctrine or war, but on the subject of dealing with Antifa. They are trained to provoke a response and they are usually ready to record it and broadcast it when they receive it. It is one thing to act defensively to protect yourself and your property, but I would tread very carefully into the realm of "confronting" them. It is difficult to justify it as a Christian (unless you are serving in an official capacity, such as a police offer), and I believe for the most part you would be playing right into their hands.

Reactions: rjs330

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Absolutely Not! And God will even send His angels to fight with us!:)
I wish I had a dollar for everytime someone said that it's the Christians fault that our country has become the evil it is today because they didn't stand up and fight...
Hmmmm

Reactions: K9Buck

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you know better what Jesus taught than those who were taught by Jesus and the apostles? For the first 300 years of the Church Christians refused to use violence for any reason, including to save one's life. I find it hard to believe that these thousands upon thousands, if not millions, of Christians were all wrong. This was a universal teaching. If a Christian joined the military they were excommunicated from the Church. Most Christians don't like this teaching and find reasons to rejects it. But, it was the universal teaching of the Christian Church for the first 300 years.

Regarding the passage, the word that is translated sword, actually means a large knife or a small sword. Since Jesus was sending sending them out into the world they would have need of a knife or small sword. They would have to fend for themselves. They would have to prepare their own meals and maybe even hunt their own food.

Athentagoras
for we have learned, not only not to return blow for blow, nor to go to law with those who plunder and rob us, but to those who smite us on one side of the face to offer the other side also, and to those who take away our coat to give likewise our cloak.
Early Church Fathers - – Ante-Nicene Fathers: The Writings of the Fathers Down To A.D. 325

Cyprian
and that by this very fact they are invincible, that they do not fear death; that they do not in turn assail their assailants, since it is not lawful for the innocent even to kill the guilty;

The Early Church Fathers: Ante-Nicene Fathers Volume 2 Clement of Alexandria
34 Above all, Christians are not allowed to correct with violence the delinquencies of sins. For it is not those that abstain from wickedness from compulsion, but those that abstain from choice, that God crowns.

If you're interested in looking further into this subject I've written and linked an article on this subject called "Should Christians Use Violence"

I believe most of the violence they faced in the first 300 years derived from persecution which is a different set of rules than life in general. The bible says that God is the same, he changes not, so have you read the OT? Factually, Israel was the invading army not a defender but had to continue the fight to maintain what God had blessed them with. So, if Israel could fight to protect themselves than it is illogical to think that the church should not do likewise.