Is it a sin or shameful for a man to have long hair?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Nazarites had long hair. Numbers 6:

5 ‘All the days of the vow of his separation no razor shall come upon his head; until the days are fulfilled for which he separated himself to the Lord, he shall be holy. Then he shall let the locks of the hair of his head grow. 6 All the days that he separates himself to the Lord he shall not go near a dead body.
1 Corinthians 11:

13 Judge for yourselves:
Paul appealed to the human judgment of the Corinthians for social norms.

Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, 15but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory?
Paul was comparing men's and women's hair in this passage. I prefer short hair, and women look good with long hair.

For long hair is given to her as a covering. 16 If anyone wants to be contentious about this, we have no other practice—nor do the churches of God
i.e., the practice of the churches of God in Paul's time.

I see 1 Corinthians 11:13 as a social issue at the time. It does not need to be applied universally today.

Is long hair on men sinful/wrong?

No, but I prefer short hair myself.

You don't want to be legalistic and judgmental like the Pharisees who strained out a gnat and swallowed a camel. Jesus' focus is on your inside, not so much on your outside.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1 Corinthians 11:

Paul was comparing men's and women's hair in this passage. I prefer short hair, and women look good with long hair.

I see 1 Corinthians 11:13 as a social issue at the time. It does not need to be applied universally today.

You don't want to be legalistic and judgmental like the Pharisees who strained out a gnat and swallowed a camel. Jesus' focus is on your inside, not so much on your outside.
I agree and well said. It is largely a cultural thing. When the culture identifies a woman with short hair as transgender, or a man with long hair as transgender or homosexual, then a Christian should try to not send the wrong message.

In my culture (US), there are no clear messages on the length of hair alone. Long Hair for a man may be useful for a host of reasons. For example, a US actor may wish to portray someone in a particular culture and time that requires a man have long hair. Or short hair may fit a woman's pursuit of a better time in swimming competition.

I think Paul was speaking into his particular culture to support the biblical idea that people should not send the improper message gender-wise. Under the Law it has been forbidden to wear opposite-gender clothing, not because the clothing is corrupt or wrong, but only because in the wrong context it is a deliberate effort to send a homosexual message.

In Paul's culture, a woman's hair was longer both because it made her more attractive but also because it indicated a commitment to *being a woman,* in the order that the Bible created it. At the time long hair indicated that a woman was a woman, indicating that to be a wife she was to submit to the man in a marriage commitment.

Both the man and the woman were to be committed to the other in their own ways. Thus, long hair in Paul's time was a signal that a woman would be dedicated, as a woman, to her husband. And the man would be faithful to his wife.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1 Corinthians 11:

There is more than one passage in the Bible that seems to discourage long hair on men. Why would a man want long hair - long hair is a hassle to take care of.