Is It Anything About The Sabbath That We Must Know?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Monday 8-15-22 2nd. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Av 16 5782 56th. Summer Day

• The Sabbath is a memorial of creation. Every time we rest upon the seventh day, as God did at creation, we commemorate that grand event. (Exodus Twenty:11) It is also a sign between God and us that He sets us apart as His special people.
1 And God spake all these words, saying,

2 I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

7 Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
www.bibleinfo.com/en/questions/facts-about-the-sabbath
34 facts about the Sabbath | Bibleinfo.com

Love, Walter

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Monday 8-15-22 2nd. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Av 16 5782 56th. Summer Day

• The Sabbath is a memorial of creation. Every time we rest upon the seventh day, as God did at creation, we commemorate that grand event. (Exodus Twenty:11) It is also a sign between God and us that He sets us apart as His special people.
1 And God spake all these words, saying,

2 I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

7 Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
www.bibleinfo.com/en/questions/facts-about-the-sabbath
34 facts about the Sabbath | Bibleinfo.com

Love, Walter
The Sabbath foreshadows--points to--the coming of God's rest, which is eternal life. The commandment was "practice" practiced by Israel as a light upon a hill foretelling of it to all nations and peoples until the coming of Messiah in whom it is fulfilled. Therefore, when He came, He said, "Come unto Me all you who are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

And although we are no longer under commandment to do so, as it is fulfilled in Christ, as long as there are future generations to shine that light for, it remains a good practice and service to God.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Sabbath was only for Jews.....no Sabbath observance was incumbent upon Gentiles.
When Jews became Christians, they could keep Sabbath if they desired, but it was no longer binding on Christians after Christ had 'fulfilled the Law'.

Exodus 31:16-17...
"Therefore the people of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, observing the Sabbath throughout their generations, as a covenant forever. 17 It is a sign forever between me and the people of Israel that in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed.’”

There is no record of a Sabbath observance prior to Israel's release from slavery in Egypt. None of the ancient Patriarchs are said to have observed a Sabbath.

Deuteronomy 5:2-3...
"The Lord our God made a covenant with us in Horeb. 3 Not with our fathers did the Lord make this covenant, but with us, who are all of us here alive today."

The Sabbath was observed from Friday evening at sundown to Saturday evening at sundown.....there was no transfer to Sunday because the Christians were not required to observe the Sabbath, let alone do it on the wrong day. Not coincidentally, the pagan Romans honored their sun god on that day.

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
Mark 2:28 "Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the Sabbath."

The word Sabbath means "rest", and in Hebrews 4, we are reminded that Christ is our Sabbath. That is why the Sabbath was nailed to the cross with Christ, for Christ became our Sabbath. Our only rest is in Christ, and this is why the religious community always followed Christ around on the Sabbath to see what He and His disciples would do.

Reactions: ScottA

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sabbath keeping under the law with all it's rules and regulations was part of a covenant with Israel (Exodus 16:23, 29; 31:12-18; 35:1-3; Leviticus 19:30; 23:2-3, 32; Numbers 15:32-36; 28:1-10; 29:39-40; I Chronicles. 23:30-31; II Chronicles 31:2-4; Isaiah 1:13; Amos 8:5; Nehemiah 10:31 etc..) that is not binding on Christians under the new covenant. (Colossians 2:16-17)

Hebrews 4:9 - So there remains a Sabbath (sabbatismos) rest for the people of God. (NASB) The Greek word here is "sabbatismos" which is used no where else in the Bible. Amazing that Sabbatarians would suggest that this is the word for "keeping the weekly Sabbath day" when it is never used anywhere else in the Bible!

W. E. Vine, Greek Dictionary points out:

Sabbath rest (4520) (sabbatismos from sabbatízo = keep the Sabbath) literally means a keeping of a sabbath or a keeping of days of rest. It is used in this passage not in the literal sense (meaning to keep a specific day, the "Sabbath" day) but to describe a period of rest for God’s people which is modeled after and is a fulfillment of the traditional Sabbath.

SABBATISMOS a Sabbath-keeping, is used in Heb. 4:9, R.V., "a Sabbath rest," A.V. marg., "a keeping of a Sabbath" (akin to sabbatizoµ, to keep the Sabbath, used, e.g., in Ex. 16:30, not in the N.T.); here the Sabbath-keeping is the perpetual Sabbath rest to be enjoyed uninterruptedly by believers in their fellowship with the Father and the Son, in contrast to the weekly Sabbath under the Law. Because this Sabbath rest is the rest of God Himself, its full fruition is yet future, though believers now enter into it. In whatever way they enter into divine “rest,” that which they enjoy is involved in an indissoluble relation with God. (Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words)

SermonIndex.net Audio Sermons - Sermon Index

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Sabbath foreshadows--points to--the coming of God's rest, which is eternal life. The commandment was "practice" practiced by Israel as a light upon a hill foretelling of it to all nations and peoples until the coming of Messiah in whom it is fulfilled. Therefore, when He came, He said, "Come unto Me all you who are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

And although we are no longer under commandment to do so, as it is fulfilled in Christ, as long as there are future generations to shine that light for, it remains a good practice and service to God.
Hello ScottA, Thank you for your input.

Love, Walter

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Sabbath was only for Jews.....no Sabbath observance was incumbent upon Gentiles.
When Jews became Christians, they could keep Sabbath if they desired, but it was no longer binding on Christians after Christ had 'fulfilled the Law'.

Exodus 31:16-17...
"Therefore the people of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, observing the Sabbath throughout their generations, as a covenant forever. 17 It is a sign forever between me and the people of Israel that in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed.’”

There is no record of a Sabbath observance prior to Israel's release from slavery in Egypt. None of the ancient Patriarchs are said to have observed a Sabbath.

Deuteronomy 5:2-3...
"The Lord our God made a covenant with us in Horeb. 3 Not with our fathers did the Lord make this covenant, but with us, who are all of us here alive today."

The Sabbath was observed from Friday evening at sundown to Saturday evening at sundown.....there was no transfer to Sunday because the Christians were not required to observe the Sabbath, let alone do it on the wrong day. Not coincidentally, the pagan Romans honored their sun god on that day.
Hi Aunty Jane, Thank you for your input.

Love, Walter

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 2:28 "Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the Sabbath."

The word Sabbath means "rest", and in Hebrews 4, we are reminded that Christ is our Sabbath. That is why the Sabbath was nailed to the cross with Christ, for Christ became our Sabbath. Our only rest is in Christ, and this is why the religious community always followed Christ around on the Sabbath to see what He and His disciples would do.
Hello n2thelight, Thank you for your input.

Love, Walter

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sabbath keeping under the law with all it's rules and regulations was part of a covenant with Israel (Exodus 16:23, 29; 31:12-18; 35:1-3; Leviticus 19:30; 23:2-3, 32; Numbers 15:32-36; 28:1-10; 29:39-40; I Chronicles. 23:30-31; II Chronicles 31:2-4; Isaiah 1:13; Amos 8:5; Nehemiah 10:31 etc..) that is not binding on Christians under the new covenant. (Colossians 2:16-17)

Hebrews 4:9 - So there remains a Sabbath (sabbatismos) rest for the people of God. (NASB) The Greek word here is "sabbatismos" which is used no where else in the Bible. Amazing that Sabbatarians would suggest that this is the word for "keeping the weekly Sabbath day" when it is never used anywhere else in the Bible!

W. E. Vine, Greek Dictionary points out:

Sabbath rest (4520) (sabbatismos from sabbatízo = keep the Sabbath) literally means a keeping of a sabbath or a keeping of days of rest. It is used in this passage not in the literal sense (meaning to keep a specific day, the "Sabbath" day) but to describe a period of rest for God’s people which is modeled after and is a fulfillment of the traditional Sabbath.

SABBATISMOS a Sabbath-keeping, is used in Heb. 4:9, R.V., "a Sabbath rest," A.V. marg., "a keeping of a Sabbath" (akin to sabbatizoµ, to keep the Sabbath, used, e.g., in Ex. 16:30, not in the N.T.); here the Sabbath-keeping is the perpetual Sabbath rest to be enjoyed uninterruptedly by believers in their fellowship with the Father and the Son, in contrast to the weekly Sabbath under the Law. Because this Sabbath rest is the rest of God Himself, its full fruition is yet future, though believers now enter into it. In whatever way they enter into divine “rest,” that which they enjoy is involved in an indissoluble relation with God. (Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words)

SermonIndex.net Audio Sermons - Sermon Index
Hello mailmandan, Thank you for your input.

Love, Walter

Reactions: mailmandan