Is it Biblical to cry and get upset?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I was praying and I was asking God where am I just not trusting you and can you pinpoint this out to me, and I know for a fact I got back very clearly "cry! and get upset."

Need to explain:

I spent a lot of time crying to God and getting back nothing, to the point I put up big fat walls and cut myself off emotionally and numbed myself.

So I get it, but are there Biblical example of this? I need some encouragement before I am ready to go there emotionally. I am just really guarded about this and not sure how deep I am prepared to step into that.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So do you have doubt that it was God you heard?
not even a hint of doubt but scared to let my guard down

Psalms 69:3
I am weary of my crying: my throat is dried: mine eyes fail while I wait for my God.

Maybe you got a little mad that He didn’t answer you and didn’t wait long enough and now He is saying it is time?
I can relate to that one. You may be right- I just decided it was better to protect my heart and I was scared being emotional was the lack of trust. I am afraid of opening up and feeling disappointed or let down. Big trust issue with my heart there

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and I know for a fact I got back very clearly "cry! and get upset."
Jesus wept. (John 11:35)

So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him. (Matthew 6:8) My advice: Be open and honest in your prayers. Your Father in Heaven already knows you're crying inside, so you have nothing left to protect.

This one I feel strongly about. I once tried giving God a flowery prayer. I got back that He wasn't the least bit impressed with my b___s___. And yes, that's how it was phrased, which means He feels strongly about it too. Be completely transparent. If you need to cry, cry. If you need to cuss, cuss. You might as well. He already knows. Prayer is for YOU.

Last edited:

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I can relate to that one. You may be right- I just decided it was better to protect my heart and I was scared being emotional was the lack of trust. I am afraid of opening up and feeling disappointed or let down. Big trust issue with my heart there

Gaah…I’m trying hard to understand you! If God told you to cry out to Him and you are positive it was God, why are you here talking to us….? Go get your blessing! Do what He told you to do. That’s…well…that’s an order! Turn off your computer and pour your whole heart out to Him. I do not understand you…

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus wept. (John 11:35)

So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him. (Matthew 6:8) My advice: Be open and honest in your prayers. Your Father in Heaven already knows you're crying inside, so you have nothing left to protect.

This one I feel strongly about. I once tried giving God a flowery prayer. I got back that He wasn't the least bit impressed with my b___s___. And yes, that's how it was phrased, which means He feels strongly about it too. Be completely transparent. If you need to cry, cry. If you need to cuss, cuss. You might as well. He already knows. Prayer is for YOU.
I'm sorry I chuckled at that just a little bit. Lol

I can relate and have been in the position of "flowery prayers", too. It is like if there was a box of "stuff", and that "stuff" brought up a bunch of feelings that didnt do any good for me, I'd never want to open it again.

Now I have a heart box, and now all of a sudden, I'm supposed to open the heart box and look at it and show all of the different things in it.

I don't want even want to know what is in the heart box

Reactions: Nancy

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gaah…I’m trying hard to understand you! If God told you to cry out to Him and you are positive it was God, why are you here talking to us….? Go get your blessing! Do what He told you to do. That’s…well…that’s an order! Turn off your computer and pour your whole heart out to Him. I do not understand you…
LOL

I feel like I have to wait because my kids are not asleep yet, and I have some chores to do first, and I can't be unhinged yet

Reactions: Nancy and Lambano

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

@FluffyYellowDuck It's natural sometimes, I guess, to do so.....

...although it's good also for Scripture and prayer to inform the way we may feel...

Reactions: DuckieLady

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sorry I chuckled at that just a little bit. Lol

I can relate and have been in the position of "flowery prayers", too. It is like if there was a box of "stuff", and that "stuff" brought up a bunch of feelings that didnt do any good for me, I'd never want to open it again.

Now I have a heart box, and now all of a sudden, I'm supposed to open the heart box and look at it and show all of the different things in it.

I don't want even want to know what is in the heart box

That's part of healing. Face the pain head on; don't avoid it.

I remember a Christian psychiatrist (Larry Crabb?) saying that the biggest cause of mental illness is the inappropriate attempt to avoid pain.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can’t let this go. You must not be positive it was God. You say you are sure it was God, but then you start a thread titled is it biblical to cry like you’re asking…is what God just told me to do biblical? He once told a man to marry a prostitute. Do you suppose the man could have found biblical support for that?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah! What she said!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can’t let this go. You must not be positive it was God. You say you are sure it was God, but then you start a thread titled is it biblical to cry like you’re asking…is what God just told me to do biblical? He once told a man to marry a prostitute. Do you suppose the man could have found biblical support for that?
Her experience corroborates mine. I'm convinced she heard correctly. Half the stuff I write is wrong, and I don't know which half, but this one I'm right.

@Fluffy, read some of the Psalms or Jeremiah or Lamentations. See the complete transparency.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Man, Hosea and Gomer. Excellent point... No, I wouldn't have thought about that at all.

Ok, you're right, I'll go get the kids to sleep and then I'll try to get in the zone. It has been a long time since I have allowed myself to open up emotionally.

Her experience corroborates mine. I'm convinced she heard correctly.

@Fluffy, read some of the Psalms or Jeremiah or Lamentations. See the complete transparency.
Yes, the weeping prophet was the only example I could think of.