Is It Christian To celebrate Birthdays?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mister Michael

Sep 13, 2018
Florida
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
i know that JWs don't celebrate birthdays Reason Cause They Belive they are Rooted in Paganism. are they right is it Against God to Celebrate Birthdays , does this include the Birth day of Christ (Christmas).

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
i know that JWs don't celebrate birthdays Reason Cause They Belive they are Rooted in Paganism. are they right is it Against God to Celebrate Birthdays , does this include the Birth day of Christ (Christmas).

Hello there
All I can say is that many of us are different...some do , some don't.

Our family had many many years of no birthdays and no Christmas.
I can't honestly say that we were more 'spiritual' without birthdays or Christmas.
Once the grandchildren were born our family revisited the issue and decided to have birthday and Christmas 'occasions' again.

So like I say, we all must ask God for ourself...and find out what or even if, He is telling us either way.

When I was a young Christian too many people were eager to tell me the list of " Do this", but don't do that...

We really need to find out for ourselves what we personally believe on an issue ....somethings are clear in the bible, other things are not clear.

God is not sitting there with a big stick to hit us if we do something wrong. He is a good God...and He will lead us if we will listen for His voice. :)

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

NO! Birthday's were celebrated way back, and usually for King's and Emperor's, and then the person of Great Power would usually Hold Great Feast's in Their Honor, Sometime's for week's, and they would Provide all the food, drink, so it was a great time for the less fortunate in their Kingdom.
So as people became more fortunate, birthday's became normal, as to Honor their Families member's.
One Must realize that most of the World was practicing some form of Pagan Worship! Birthday's no harm, no Foul, as long as you do not Worship the one being Honored!!! That's My Opinion

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

Harvest 1874

Apr 1, 2018
Tampa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Christ was not actually born on Christmas Day, but rather about October 1st nevertheless we don't see this as a contentious issue.

Even though Christmas day is not the real anniversary of our Lord's birth, but more properly the annunciation day or the date of his human begetting (Luke 1:28), nevertheless, since the celebration of our Lord's birth is not a matter of divine appointment or injunction, but merely a tribute of respect to him, it is not necessary for us to quibble particularly about the date. We may as well join with the civilized world in celebrating the grand event on the day, which the majority celebrates --"Christmas day."

Reactions: Helen

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is quite ridiculous not to celebrate the wonderous arrival into this world of a child. The Bible is full of remarks about how old a certain person was when something happened. How do they know these specific dates if they didn't keep track of them (for all people) as a pretty special day each year?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With all celebrations, the questions is "why are you celebrating?"

If you are having a party because you love a person and want to have a special day for them so that they can feel that love, go for it. Essentially, that's what a birthday party is. The point is the love and sharing, and the celebrating doesn't necessarily have to be on the exact day that person was born. For example, this year my birthday was on a Thursday when I had to work a 15 hour day-- so no party that day. So we celebrated the following Sunday: after church we to the park as a family, made a nice dinner together, and just had a good time. Nothing REMOTELY pagan about it.

As to Christ's birth: that is one of the most important events in human history, so yes should indeed be celebrated. The chances He was born on the 25th of December are pretty dang small, but again the point is to remember and celebrate. So do things that remind YOU of Christ and celebrate your love of Christ. Never mind why anyone else does anything.

Reactions: Helen and Willie T

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think Birthdays are just fun!!!! My daughter turns 1 on September 30th, and we are having a party at my church in the fellowship hall. Psalm 139:14 says "I will give thanks to You for I am fearfully and wonderfully made." So I don't see how He would find celebrating a Birthday as bad even if it was based in pagan roots. Halloween was actually meant as Hallows Eve. A Holy Day, that turned pagan! So I think it is just personal conviction. And any day to celebrate the birth of Christ Jesus is just a day I want to participate in. :)

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Perhaps your questions are important to you Michael (ael) :), but frankly, they fill your space of the questions that matter.

Reactions: Mayflower

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It isn't a salvational issue. We are redeemed through believing in what Christ has done for us on the Cross.

And if we are redeemed through that, celebrating a birthday isn't going to take that redemption away.

Romans 14 is a good chapter to study on the issue though.

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is nothing wrong with celebrating the day God brought you in this world. God does want us to celebrate each day of life though. Even though these verses do not have the word "birthday" I believe they will give a foundation to your question.

Colossians 2:16 - Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath

Romans 14:5-6 One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord. The one who eats, eats in honor of the Lord, since he gives thanks to God, while the one who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God.

Mister Michael

Sep 13, 2018
Florida
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Halloween was actually meant as Hallows Eve. A Holy Day, that turned pagan! So I think it is just personal conviction. And any day to celebrate the birth of Christ Jesus is just a day I want to participate in. :)
i thought Halloween came from druids?

Reactions: Mayflower

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i thought Halloween came from druids?

Bahaha what Willie T said. I don't know what a druid is. Ill have to find where I read about Hallows Eve. It is more a history thing. Which also in history talks about Jesus on a cross rather then a stake. But as I say, these are minor issues. When we all get to Heaven I even wonder if these questions will even come to our mind to ask about.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It doesn't matter why someone else celebrates something.

What matters is why do YOU celebrate something?

For me, Halloween is a fun time for my daughter to dress up and eat candy. That's it. Nothing about druids.

I agree! Though I will not dress my daughter up as a witch, ghost, monster, etc. Princess, pirate, lol. I got her a lamb costume for her first year. :)

Reactions: LC627

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is a good wiki about Halloween. :)

Halloween - Wikipedia

I learned something too from this. I didn't know about Sanheim. I always was taught it started off as Hallows Eve, but never really researched it too deeply. I didn't celebrate it for a few years out of conviction, then started too again without the dark horror stuff I wouldn't want God to see me dressed as. Particularly a witch I dressed up in not even 5 years ago. Constantly being sanctified.